Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice

Heisenberg

Definitely the "type" of player that we need, my only concern would be he hasn't played that much competitive football and seems to have had a bit of a sporadic career so far.

We've had a couple like that, Bertrand being the prime example so hopefully with a decent run in a team he'll be an excellent signing.

I'm working in Italy at the moment and asked a Juventus supporter about him. He said that he hasn't really had a run in the side but looks a good player. We should expect him to break up attacks rather than score goals (which is what I think we knew).

Under 21 players under certain conditions do not have to be 'registered' so itll be interesting to see what the actual 25 looks like but basically it means we don't 'have' to sell to bring players in.

There'll be a couple more loans and at the very least Clasie will leave too

1 Forster*

2 Taylor*

3 McCarthy*

4 Cedric

5 Pied

6 Van Dijk / New

7 Yoshida

8 Stephens*

[9 Bednarek]

10 Gardos

11 Bertrand*

12 McQueen*

13 Targett*

14 Romeu

15 Lemina

16 Clasie

17 PEH

18 Davis*

19 JWP*

20 Tadic

21 Redmond*

22 Boufal

23 Gabbi

24 Austin*

25 Long*

26 Gallagher*

* = homegrown (I think). We need to name 8 of those in the 25 or give up a place.

Edit thanks to Saint Clark: Bednarek was U21 on 1 Jan this year so does not count towards the numbers.

I don't think any of the others were under 21 on 1 January this year so we are right on the limit. If we are also looking to bring in a loan GK and maybe another loan player then unless those were under 21 on January 1 we will need to cut players from the above in order to accommodate them.

Maybe McCarthy will be cut if his injury is bad. Presumably Gardos / Gallagher / Clasie are the others most at risk.

Edited by benjii

Who had that last season? Was it Martina?
Harrison Reed. Don't know if that means we're prepared to let him go. Probably depends on whether he or Hojbjerg kicks on better this season.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Ah yes, cheers. Harrison had a good debut at Fulham for Norwich I'm told - encouraging.
Yes. I'm a fan, but as edited above, think he's got to do better than Hojbjerg this season to have a future. With regular games, albeit at a lower level, I hope he comes good.

And that PEH has a brilliant season too, to give us a problem.

Yes. I'm a fan, but as edited above, think he's got to do better than Hojbjerg this season to have a future. With regular games, albeit at a lower level, I hope he comes good.

And that PEH has a brilliant season too, to give us a problem.

I'd agree with that summation - although PEH is frustrating because you can see all the components are there to be a top midfielder and his attitude seems good. His confidence seems to fluctuate sharply so it might be that MP is a more suitable man-manager to get the best out of him. I also think he needs to find his niche in this league - DM didn't work out, think he'll end up more advanced with Lemina's welcome signing. Davis's finishing is like Ronaldo's by comparison though to PEH's and JWP also occupies space there.

Still, he's young and you don't get signed by Bayern at that age unless you have something about you. Speaking of JWP, big season for him too. Certainly some welcome improvements last term in stamina and presence in matches plus some very handy goals. It's about a more consistent contribution now and sustaining those improvements in more % of games.

JWP is something of a golden boy, as was Harrison when he first came on the scene under MP1, but he could be vulnerable if he goes back to standing still and Harrison does well at Norwich and adds more attacking threat to his game there which being box to box is possible.

Quite interesting vid of Lamina vs Spurs pre-season. Gave the ball away a fair bit. Certainly tricky. Finds space. Couple of crosses. Reminds me of Boufal.

wearing cycling shorts is a worry. We have had too many biggest signings with injury problems.

He doesn't look like a defensive midfielder to me, not that that's a problem.

It is winter in Oz though how cold exactly I don't know.

Wel it is 10C realfeel 5C in Melbourne at present, so that could easily have been similar or colder - winters cold in those southern states, plenty of snow around the ski fields - even here in Brisbane going down to 6C tonight!

They have said that largely concludes our business, but I'm hoping that's a smokescreen to stop prices of players, especially CBs, going up because we're known to be in the market.

I'm hoping for a decent CB, good backup keeper to challenge FF and maybe the loan (with option to buy) of a young AM that's been hinted at.

With Clasie and Gardos leaving if there's interest.

Thats great ploy but dont you think that goes up in smoke (pardon the pun) the moment we pick up the phone and ask someone "how much does xxxx cost?"

Thats great ploy but dont you think that goes up in smoke (pardon the pun) the moment we pick up the phone and ask someone "how much does xxxx cost?"
I see your point where we go in cold after a player, but in cases where other clubs are bidding, we have a baseline that would be difficult to alter just because it's us.

Prowse cannot kick with his left foot cant head a ball and chickens out off tackles the complete footballer the club has never had a single bid 50 years watching saints havent seen many worse

Has JWP slept with your missus or something?

Prowse cannot kick with his left foot cant head a ball and chickens out off tackles the complete footballer the club has never had a single bid 50 years watching saints havent seen many worse
Really, what is your problem, apart from a total inability to recognise a player's strengths?

Are you going for the "new posted with an irrational hatred of a Saints player" award?

Good grief, I must have imagined the Ryan Smith and Jason Euell era. JWP did improve his stamina last season IMO, he still his some way to go granted but not sure I've ever seen him bottle tackles, he just isn't robust like Romeu and nor are the rest of our midfield although Lamina sounds like he's not so shy. JWP hits a good dead ball, can cross well, should have been used for penalties at the end of last season, passes well and improved his finishing. He's never going to be quick or sending tackles flying in but that's not his game.

He's got no room for resting on his laurels but don't think he will with MP. Puel did a find a system though that worked for JWP but will MP?

As Shroppie says, PEH needs a much better and certainly more consistent season and arguably JWP contributed more last term. I'm also a believer that PEH has a lot to give and can develop hugely.

Quite interesting vid of Lamina vs Spurs pre-season. Gave the ball away a fair bit. Certainly tricky. Finds space. Couple of crosses. Reminds me of Boufal.

Reminds me far more of Dele Alli! Well, some of those runs/the way he moves with the ball from deep/central positions do anyway. Seemingly capable of being quick/very direct :thumbup: Looks like he has a motor too. Eager to see how he performs.

Jemima looks to have a lot of promise; does anyone know why Juve sold him to us instead of keeping him to develop in Italy?

From what I have asked of Juventus fans on another forum, he was mediocre and didn't play particularly well. Therefore, when a club likes us come in and gives them a profit, they were happy to do a deal.

Jemima looks to have a lot of promise; does anyone know why Juve sold him to us instead of keeping him to develop in Italy?

Only have to watch the video clips vs Spurs to make your mind up.

I know it's only one game but a top side like Juventus have cashed in a squad player to us.

From what I have asked of Juventus fans on another forum, he was mediocre and didn't play particularly well. Therefore, when a club likes us come in and gives them a profit, they were happy to do a deal.

Looks like exactly what we need. Yes he gave the ball away but never in dangerous defensive positions and looks like a player in the in the bertrand / Romeo mound. I.e. Clearly has talent but needs a decent run of games to get his sharpness which you don't get at a big club. Half a season of back to back games ans I think he will be a big player for us.

I call ******** right here. No way has someone who calls himself Wellzzy and writes like a 12yo been following Saints for 50 years.

No idea why you're trolling on here, but presumably you'll be back at school soon.

Anybody who reads my post history will see my frustration with JWP in his early years in the first team, but I am so happy to see him mature into a player that provides a real impact. It's bizarre to harshly critique him now when he has progressed so much in the last year.

Only have to watch the video clips vs Spurs to make your mind up.

I know it's only one game but a top side like Juventus have cashed in a squad player to us.

So you've made your mind up on the basis of a 2 minute clip?

Anybody who reads my post history will see my frustration with JWP in his early years in the first team, but I am so happy to see him mature into a player that provides a real impact. It's bizarre to harshly critique him now when he has progressed so much in the last year.

My frustration is that so many couldn't/can't see the potential, and the player he will be. He's learnt his trade in the full glare of the boiler pot that is midfield in the EPL.

I would not be surprised at all to see him given the captain's arm band in place of Double VD.

I've seen different, most Juve fans I've seen comment rate him but said he wasn't getting enough game time as they have a very talented midfield.

Plus this is a player we have been tracking for 3 years so I'm going to trust the club on this one as they rarely get it wrong.

You have to be pretty decent to get that many games at Juve, especially this current Juve team and get on the pitch in the Champions League final.

No space in first tea, means player is unhappy. He would be content with rotation, but Juve are in a hunt of world-class midfielder, so this was the best option mutually

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice