Strikers 17/18

Dusic

From the friendlies it looks like the current preference order of Pellegrino will be: Gabbi, Austin, Long, Gallagher.

I think this makes sense. Clearly Gabbi is the best and hopefully has a great season. Austin will score goals but not offer the allround play.

What should we do with the other two?

Long is a handy sub to have and you know will give 100% but equally he has been used out wide a few times in pre season and IMO is terrible there. Personally I would sell if we got a fair offer for him and I think he might get frustrated at another season of limited playing time.

Gallagher hasn't really been given a chance in the friendlies and has been linked with Wolves on loan. He obviously won't want to go back to the sterile U23 football after the best season of his career so perhaps a loan makes sense? Equally he must have been told he will get some opportunities otherwise wouldn't have signed the new contract.

We have been linked with a few forwards across the summer so wonder if we do expect some movement as no need to have five plus Redmond?

Also worth noting there are no young strikers anywhere near the first in the U23s as Seager and Olomola are both out on loan. Barnes probably next in line but little else.

From the friendlies it looks like the current preference order of Pellegrino will be: Gabbi, Austin, Long, Gallagher.

I think this makes sense. Clearly Gabbi is the best and hopefully has a great season. Austin will score goals but not offer the allround play.

What should we do with the other two?

Long is a handy sub to have and you know will give 100% but equally he has been used out wide a few times in pre season and IMO is terrible there. Personally I would sell if we got a fair offer for him and I think he might get frustrated at another season of limited playing time.

Gallagher hasn't really been given a chance in the friendlies and has been linked with Wolves on loan. He obviously won't want to go back to the sterile U23 football after the best season of his career so perhaps a loan makes sense? Equally he must have been told he will get some opportunities otherwise wouldn't have signed the new contract.

We have been linked with a few forwards across the summer so wonder if we do expect some movement as no need to have five plus Redmond?

Also worth noting there are no young strikers anywhere near the first in the U23s as Seager and Olomola are both out on loan. Barnes probably next in line but little else.

Long, Gallagher and Gabbi are all capable of playing wide as part of a three (not saying they are the best options mind) Austin has to be played through the middle and nowhere else so it is quite possible to have more than one of them playing in any given game if MoPe wants.

Last season we heard that players were upset by constant rotation wouldn't be surprised if this season we hear of players upset because of a lack of game time..

Edited by doddisalegend

Long, Gallagher and Gabbi are all capable of playing wide as part of a three (not saying they are the best options mind) Austin has to be played through the middle and nowhere else so it is quite possible to have more than one of them playing in any given game if MoPe wants.

Last season we heard that players were upset by constant rotation wouldn't be surprised if this season we hear of players upset because of a lack of game time..

I expect to this as one of the formations we use, likely when MoPe thinks he needs more punch and feels he can still win the midfield battle.

Had hoped Gallagher would get more of a chance in the friendlies, but maybe he will in the cups. Really believe he'll take the chance if given it. Long, well it's hard not to assume we'll get last season's Long rather than the season befores.

To be honest I'd happily get rid of Austin and just use the other three, but I'm probably in the minority there. Just prefer 3 mobile strikers who fit our game better.

I think your happiness will vanish rather quickly once the inevitable injuries kick in (not to mention possible suspensions).

Tella turned 18 a month ago, plenty of time to bed in the u23s, hopefully he'll have a good season then appear close to the first team. Gallagher, imo, will be at the top of the u23 list and will hopefully get first team chances.

Whatever happens, Gabbi should be the first choice.

If yesterday's match is anything to by, it will be Gabbi, Long, Gallagher, then Austin. If one of those four moves on, as suggested in the Gallagher thread I would think it more likely to be Austin. I am not sure he is mobile enough to press in the way the front four seem to be set up to do this season.

If yesterday's match is anything to by, it will be Gabbi, Long, Gallagher, then Austin. If one of those four moves on, as suggested in the Gallagher thread I would think it more likely to be Austin. I am not sure he is mobile enough to press in the way the front four seem to be set up to do this season.

Are they pressing that much? from the pre-season games I've been to it hasn't been overly pressing. The problem we have is Long who is mobile enough to press but has trouble finishing his breakfast and Austin who isn't that mobile but is a better goal scorer if I had to pick one of them to play I'd pick Austin. On top of that Gallagher is pretty much an unknown quantity at the moment but hopefully we'll get a chance to see what he's about this season. The quality player with it all the attributes is Gabbi so lets hope he stays fit.

Agree with much of the above. With a sole striker it needs to be Gabbi as first choice, backed up by Austin if there is an injury, as a 2nd half sub, or if we have a lot of games together. For a setup with 2 or 3 upfront, then Austin comes in alongside of Gabbi. I wouldn't read much into who played and who didn't though. Austin, Clasie, Targett, and Hojbjerg all didn't play, I doubt this means they won't factor into line-ups. In fact I would guess a rotation was set up earlier in the week knowing we had 2 games in 4 days.

Also please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Long has primarily played in the midfield roles so far. Maybe MoPe seems him as more of a winger?

Given his goal-scoring "abilities", that's probably for the best. Gabbi, Austin and Gallagher should be in the pecking order before him IMO.

And if there's one man to solve an injury crisis, it's Austin.

In the unlikely event Gabbiadini, Gallagher and Long were all out at the same time, we'd have to give a youngster a chance or play Boufal or Redmond up there. Not the end of the world.

If Gabbi's injured and Austin gone I wouldn't expect many goals from Gallagher and Long. It'll be last season all over again (before Gabbi was belatedly brought in).

If Gabbi's injured and Austin gone I wouldn't expect many goals from Gallagher and Long. It'll be last season all over again (before Gabbi was belatedly brought in).

This, the goals are going to come primarily from Austin and Gabbiadini. It would be madness to get rid of Austin......