Swansea (H) Match & Reaction Thread

benjii

****ing Yoshida taking a free kick :lol::lol:

When him, Boufal and Tadic were stood there, I said to the missus....well it won't be Yoshida who takes it. Perhaps that's what the goalie thought which is why he didn't move!

Boufal's free kicks look most dangerous, looking at the vid (not so much the last attempt though).

From day one Tadic came to us with a reputation for assists but few goals. It is something that needs to be addressed in team tactics.

This. Pleased with the performance today....but Tadic as a long-term no. 10? No, thanks. He'd obviously get some goals there, but I think I'm correct in stating that he's expressed a preference for getting assists, rather than goals, and a goal-scoring midfielder that does not make (in terms of rationale/motivation).

When him, Boufal and Tadic were stood there, I said to the missus....well it won't be Yoshida who takes it. Perhaps that's what the goalie thought which is why he didn't move!

Boufal's free kicks look most dangerous, looking at the vid (not so much the last attempt though).

The manager instructed Yoshida to take the free kick.

Did any player actually well play in both halves?

Thought Prowsey looked good in the first half, but the second half was shocking. Don't get the hype over Stephens from today's game, kept bringing the ball out of defence and running into Swansea players.

Just got back from the game.

Overall enjoyed the tempo, was much better to get back to a more entertaining, high pressing and solid possession game that we have generally been used to over the past years of Liebherr era football. Swansea however, did their best to spoil it, they looked like a team, who without Sigurdsson knew they lacked the creativity to pose a real threat today. The problem with them however, is that with the exception of Mawson they just didn't look adept at holding on to what they came for.

It was one of those afternoons unfortunately, had Tadic have finished his early chance or the ball that hit the bar was half a foot lower then it could and probably would have been a different afternoon as the Swans impetus would have to have changed to that of a team that needed to come out of their deeply retreated position.

My first impression is that, although we dominated and huffed and puffed overall we were just not incisive enough, and on too many occasions wanted to walk the ball in the net or retreat back to our favourite position, 30 yards from goal, even when we had opportunities to get early balls in the box or get in behind Swansea's frankly poor full backs. If I was Gabbiadinni I would be deeply frustrated, and I think that showed in the two snap shots he had in the second half, here is a striker with exceptional movement, and honestly, he was criminally denied any real service.

The substitutions surprised me as well, surely against a team that was so determined to hold on to what they had it made more sense to leave Gabbi on and partner him with Austin, effectively giving their CB's much more problems and hopefully allowing for us to have more bodies in the box. The withdrawal of JWP was also disappointing, especially as we were winning corners for fun, it wasn't a game for pace, and so, should we have warranted the inclusion of Boufal I think, personally, redmond who was largely anonymous should have been the man to have to make way.

Our full backs looked good, and full of energy, hugging both touchlines. It was a shame to see Bertrand pick up a knock, I saw him talk to MP after he landed awkwardly from an arial duel with Routledge. Our CB's didn't have too much to do, and at times both lost concentration when tied up with Abraham, who looks a good player. Both looked in good form for the start of the season, and I must say I find it a bit strange to see Yoshi get so much criticism as I thought he looked good.

Here are my ratings for today;

Forster - 6 - Didn't really have anything to do to be honest, could have been subbed for a striker and we would still been ok

Bertrand - 7 - Full of effort, struggled slightly in the air but looked good overlapping down the left.

Stephens - 6 - Solid enough, maybe tries too much on the ball from time to time.

Yoshida - 6 - People must of watched different games to me, should have scored but all of his efforts were close, says it all when our CB came closer than our strikers... on 3 occasions.

Cedric - 7.5 - Similar to Bertrand really, but looks solid, his shot at the end was wild but worth an effort, some of his crossing was too deep.

Romeu - 8 - Booking was weird, but I love watching him, seems to have so much time on the ball, is underrated in his position.

Davis - 6 - Too slow really, Lamina will likely be a step up, which is unfortunate, still useful, his vision and passing are excellent.

JWP - 7- Disappointed he came off really, looks good, better central then his was wide, his set pieces are always a danger.

Tadic - 8 - Needs to work on his composure, but showed he can shoot, his effort late on was a rocket, had a good game, ultimately one that slows things down too much.

Redmond - 5.5 - Pretty anonymous for me, I like redmond, but not a game for him, he had no space to drive into, and he can't shoot.

Gabbi - 6 - Isolated, which is unfortunate, not all his fault and he started coming deep and wide to find the ball, his efforts showed his frustration, unfortunately.

McQueen - 6 - Not on long enough to form much of an opinion

Boufal - 6.5 - Theres a player in there, and I really hope we get to see him in a saints shirt, ultimately his final ball is at times terrible, as were his set pieces.

Austin - 6 - Good player, but his lack of movement gave Swansea's defence an easier time IMO, his touch looked off, and again came deep to try to find service.

Plenty for us to be positive about, and Im sure the goals will come. We do definitely need to sort the VVD situation, or buy in a dominant CB. Possibly still need an attacking midfielder, which will unfortunately lead to one of the established ones dropping out, hopefully a midfielder that can shoot.

Back from the game. So happy that we look like a team again. We pressed, the team as a collective was further forward. All played well in my opinion. Yoshida just misplaces the odd pass, Virgil doesn't do that. Redmond actually drove forward with the ball and didn't stop and go backwards.

I think we will see the team evolve in the coming weeks. Romeu and Lemina holding and Davis in the hole. Davis, in my opinion, is losing his engine a touch so playing in the hole would mean a bit less work. He can be so influential. Boufal will soon start as well.

Boufal looked quality when he came on. He tracked back, won tackles and has that je ne sais quip we so often miss. Tadic grow into the game.

And the build up to the players coming out! The video montage and Faithless playing was awesome!!

Happy me!!

Tadic should have been substituted after his miss. For a professional footballer to miss that chance in the first couple of minutes was diabolical. He is too casual when he gets those chances. These things are costly and we need a good start to the season as we have some real tough groups of matches later on.

Personally I didn't see any difference to last season, where we created but didn't score.

Boufal best game ive see him play

Yoshida good

Romeu as you'd expect

Bertrand superb

Tadic should have been substituted after his miss. For a professional footballer to miss that chance in the first couple of minutes was diabolical. He is too casual when he gets those chances. These things are costly and we need a good start to the season as we have some real tough groups of matches later on.

Personally I didn't see any difference to last season, where we created but didn't score.

Yoshida good

Romeu as you'd expect

Bertrand superb

This was very different to last season. We had an intensity, kept trying to be creative. In games last season we sometimes looked like we had no ideas and would never score. Today, we were close to scoring again and again - it just didn't happen.

And the comment about subbing Tadic is just ridiculous. A sharp chance, unfortunately pushed wide of the post. Not a disgraceful blunder. And he went on to have a good game and create more chances.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This was very different to last season. We had an intensity, kept trying to be creative. In games last season we sometimes looked like we had no ideas and would never score. Today, we were close to scoring again and again - it just didn't happen.

And the comment about subbing Tadic is just ridiculous. A sharp chance, unfortunately pushed wide of the post. Not a disgraceful blunder. And he went on to have a good game and create more chances.

Sharp chance!!! not in my book. I will watch on tv later and see again

Did any player actually well play in both halves?

Thought Prowsey looked good in the first half, but the second half was shocking. Don't get the hype over Stephens from today's game, kept bringing the ball out of defence and running into Swansea players.

Stephens was pure quality today. Brilliant covering on several occasions.

Yoshida good

Romeu as you'd expect

Bertrand superb

Subbing someone after a few minutes, so glad you aren't the manager.

If anything Tadic isn't casual enough with his finishes. He's apprehensive so he tries to guide it too much and force it. Anyone who has played the game knows that when confidence for scoring is high the all finishes are instinctively casual. When you are low in confidence you get in your own way by trying to hammer it and not getting great contact.

mmm not sure about that we only managed 2 actual attempts on target (plenty off target mind) according to the stats. Quite a few long range pot shots or attempts to smash a ball through a crowded penalty box that never really looked like going in.

Back from the game.

Decent performance. Swansea parked the bus and got the result they came for. We'll win more of these type of games than we draw IMO.

First game of the season... Nothing to lose sleep about (unless your name is 'Alpine Saint' of course!)

Can't decide on my MotM... a toss up between Yoshida, Stephens and Romeu.

P.s. the ref was an utter buffoon

Edited by trousers

mmm not sure about that we only managed 2 actual attempts on target (plenty off target mind) according to the stats. Quite a few long range pot shots or attempts to smash a ball through a crowded penalty box that never really looked like going in.

One of the troubles with this particular "stat". We had several attempts that looked on target but were deflected away by defenders, they count as "off target", we also hit the crossbar, which is also "off target". We were so much better today than in most of Puel's games last season (there were a few exceptions, didn't we have 34 attempts against Hull or something stupid?), MP just needs to find a way to get Gabbi more involved, it needs someone playing closer to him (in my opinion). One of the most one-sided 0-0s you will see, nevertheless Tammy Abrahams should have buried us in the first half but fluffed his lines.

One of the troubles with this particular "stat". We had several attempts that looked on target but were deflected away by defenders, they count as "off target", we also hit the crossbar, which is also "off target". We were so much better today than in most of Puel's games last season (there were a few exceptions, didn't we have 34 attempts against Hull or something stupid?), MP just needs to find a way to get Gabbi more involved, it needs someone playing closer to him (in my opinion). One of the most one-sided 0-0s you will see, nevertheless Tammy Abrahams should have buried us in the first half but fluffed his lines.

Mostly because we slowed our attacking play down long enough for Swansea to pack their area leaving our players little space to craft good chances and instead try to smash one in through a crowed area with a high chance of hitting another player.

Says a lot when our biggest scoring threat was from a centre back. If that scissor kick had gone in Augusts goal of the month would have been wrapped up on the first weekend.

I don't care what anyone else thinks get him signing a contract extension, and get the captain's s armband off that Dutch bloke and give it to him, SD keeps the gig if he is playing.

Looked better today, although Mrs JBS, made a valid point when Gabbi was subbed and replaced with Austin, I thought we were going to be playing a bit differently under this new chap. Instead we leave 2 useless players (in the grand scheme of things) on the pitch take off our best corner taker and persist with one up front.

Tadic was infuriating as usual loses the ball so many times and his default is laissez faire at best (and still numpties sing his bloody name). Redmond needs wiring up to the mains and someone needs to be manning the button to press to wake him up. I will stick my neck out here if Boufal is not in the starting XI next week at the expense of Tadic or Redmond then both of them must have incriminating photos of someone secreted away in a safety deposit box somewhere. Without a doubt when he came on despite putting the ball out with his own cleverness early on, he certainly put himself about a bit.

Overall we looked much more busy than last year, but in all honesty Swansea were a bit pants. I mean bring a sub on in the latter minutes to go 3 at the back, without a doubt 2 points dropped............... still better than all 3 dropped thanks to a spawny undeserved goal.

Free Ice Cream was a treat!!

Back from the game. So happy that we look like a team again. We pressed, the team as a collective was further forward. All played well in my opinion. Yoshida just misplaces the odd pass, Virgil doesn't do that. Redmond actually drove forward with the ball and didn't stop and go backwards.

I think we will see the team evolve in the coming weeks. Romeu and Lemina holding and Davis in the hole. Davis, in my opinion, is losing his engine a touch so playing in the hole would mean a bit less work. He can be so influential. Boufal will soon start as well.

Boufal looked quality when he came on. He tracked back, won tackles and has that je ne sais quip we so often miss. Tadic grow into the game.

And the build up to the players coming out! The video montage and Faithless playing was awesome!!

Happy me!!

Easily pleased

Very impressed with Prowsey today, popped up 4 or 5 times arriving late, could've had a hat trick with better composure but hopefully that'll improve if he continues to attack in this way, shame he was subbed because Tadic was overplaying as per. I still think our biggest flaw is not taking any risks in our passing. There was a spell in the second half where JWP kept going behind the two Swansea CM's and holding out his arm for Davis & Romeu to pass it through the middle of them both and all of a sudden we'd be just outside the box, squaring up the CB's. But they'd look, think about it and then go sideways. Of course there's a chance that pass gets intercepted and we're in danger, but with the quality of our players those are risks we should

be taking and that could win games. We look too hesitant for me, hopefully we get some confidence and that changes, because we have a lot of players making great movements but being ignored.

He was good but I worry his overconfidence on the ball could cost us

I guess the question to answer is whether you want a CB that plays safe and hoofs it into the stands or one that believes in himself and brings it out from the back to play forward. I think he's got the decision making in him to be the latter.

I was at the game and frustrated that we couldn't find a winner, just not our day. When we were in possession, swanseas wide players would drop back, leaving their #10 alone against our 2 CBs and Davis and Romeu so I thought we could have pushed at least one of them further forward.

Very impressed with Prowsey today, popped up 4 or 5 times arriving late, could've had a hat trick with better composure but hopefully that'll improve if he continues to attack in this way, shame he was subbed because Tadic was overplaying as per. I still think our biggest flaw is not taking any risks in our passing. There was a spell in the second half where JWP kept going behind the two Swansea CM's and holding out his arm for Davis & Romeu to pass it through the middle of them both and all of a sudden we'd be just outside the box, squaring up the CB's. But they'd look, think about it and then go sideways. Of course there's a chance that pass gets intercepted and we're in danger, but with the quality of our players those are risks we should

be taking and that could win games. We look too hesitant for me, hopefully we get some confidence and that changes, because we have a lot of players making great movements but being ignored.

Good insight, thanks. I must say it did feel like JWP was making a conscious effort to get into th box. He doesn't have that goalscoring instinct but at least it looks like he's working on the right things.

Agree on passing risks. I know everyone likes to slag off our play last year, but I actually thought some of our play under Puel was neat, and I'm glad we seemed to have retained some of it - even if playing out of defence in small triangles makes me a little nervous! While you're right about the 'safe' passing today, I would say it was at least a bit better than last season. The ball didn't go back to Forster anywhere near as much as it used to for one thing. We also pressed more, which is another thing I was really hoping to see return.

Only one game though, against a poor, unadventurous side, so too early to draw definite conclusions!

Time to stay calm. That was a different sort of 0-0 to a Puel 0-0. We were far more progressive on the ball. We need more from Tadic - good player, great touch and pacy, but far too many of our attacks break down with him through slowing things down, an off target or blocked shot or a mis-placed pass. Or a penalty. He should be doing better with his end product.

going to post before reading thread. excellent football,exciting match,chalk and cheese from last season. Some great cohesion, fantastic pressing for nearly a full match and it's only game one. Swansea knew they couldn't win from 20 mins onwards and fair play they held us out. Last season we looked done after 10 mins of pressure in every game. Defense strolled it for most of the game but read it well on the whole when challenges were mounted albeit scarcely. Our attacking play was very inventive and no where near the predictable boloks we served up last season. It's game one and we already look like we are playing well, think we are going to have one hell of a season based on that. If we keep van dijk or adequately replace I think we are in with a very good shout of a record prem finish. Although in short I could happily watch that every week and feel I'm getting my money's worth. There will be goals for sure and there's gonna be some beauts for sure, there was a few efforts today that were a whisker off being classics and it is game one.

Time to stay calm. That was a different sort of 0-0 to a Puel 0-0. We were far more progressive on the ball. We need more from Tadic - good player, great touch and pacy, but far too many of our attacks break down with him through slowing things down, an off target or blocked shot or a mis-placed pass. Or a penalty. He should be doing better with his end product.

I agree with everything you say, except the idea that Tadic is pacy. He has a lot of attributes, but pace isn't one of them.

Interesting comparing the stats on the bbc from last seasons opening day game with this seasons they are pretty similar

Watford last season http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36994444

yesterdays games http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40835420

in both cases a lot of possession and a large number of attempts on goal.

Yesterday was a much better overall performance than Watford: last season we hardly got going in the first half. It was a disjointed mess. Only in the second half, did we begin to impose ourselves, esp after Hojbjerg came on.

Yesterday was a much better overall performance than Watford: last season we hardly got going in the first half. It was a disjointed mess. Only in the second half, did we begin to impose ourselves, esp after Hojbjerg came on.

We certainly pressed more and looked to play the ball forward more but in the final third we looked much the same lots of crosses into a crowded opposition box with to few saints players in the box to capitalize.

We certainly pressed more and looked to play the ball forward more but in the final third we looked much the same lots of crosses into a crowded opposition box with to few saints players in the box to capitalize.

Agree we pressed alot more, though Swansea played right into our hards by trying to build from the back each and every time. Alot of our pressure came from forcing errors so high up the pitch. We got alot of crosses in - it became less effective as the game went on. Bertrand was probably our most dangerous player in the first half. We went away from him in the second half, perhaps because the amount of work he was doing was unsustainable.

29 shots on goal / 2 on target?!

probably should have had at least 1 possibly 2 before half time and it could have been a Sunderland scoreline ,but in parts still the same as last season nothing has changed too drastically just yet but hopefully it will.

Happy me!!

This

I have only read some of the posts so perhaps I have missed the relevant ones, but I am surprised that no one is talking about the missed penalty calls. Based upon the TV replays, it sure looks like we should have had two penalty shots. Had we converted them--admittedly not a sure thing if Tadic is shooting--it would have been an easy victory.

I have only read some of the posts so perhaps I have missed the relevant ones, but I am surprised that no one is talking about the missed penalty calls. Based upon the TV replays, it sure looks like we should have had two penalty shots. Had we converted them--admittedly not a sure thing if Tadic is shooting, it would have been an easy victory.
Mark Clattenburg was just on the radio and stated that we should have had two penalties, so yes, a bit odd that we're not talking more about it.

going to post before reading thread. excellent football,exciting match,chalk and cheese from last season. Some great cohesion, fantastic pressing for nearly a full match and it's only game one. Swansea knew they couldn't win from 20 mins onwards and fair play they held us out. Last season we looked done after 10 mins of pressure in every game. Defense strolled it for most of the game but read it well on the whole when challenges were mounted albeit scarcely. Our attacking play was very inventive and no where near the predictable boloks we served up last season. It's game one and we already look like we are playing well, think we are going to have one hell of a season based on that. If we keep van dijk or adequately replace I think we are in with a very good shout of a record prem finish. Although in short I could happily watch that every week and feel I'm getting my money's worth. There will be goals for sure and there's gonna be some beauts for sure, there was a few efforts today that were a whisker off being classics and it is game one.

Based off one natch, a nil-nil at home to Swansea, you now predict we are going finish 5th or higher?

Great first performance from Pellegrino's men. Work in progress whilst he settles in the new players and gets everyone up to match fitness. Cautious team selection but predictable as Pellegrino seems to be a manager who does things incrementally, small changes at a time step-by-step but expect this team to be changed for next weekend. The Redmond/Boufal position is up for grabs in my book neither having the complete edge over the other. Also it'll likely be two from three with Davis, W-P and Lemina.

Goals will come, the lads looked over-anxious about scoring maybe trying too hard after maybe too much focus on it in training but at least they are shooting first time from good positions more often than they ever did under Puel. Promises to be a great season. Who impressed me most yesterday? Probably Tadic who worked hard all afternoon, looked really committed again and didn't fade out of the game in the last 25 minutes. Not saying he was our MotM, just that he seemed to be back to his best and very settled. Obviously loves working with the new manager.

Hope Bertie is not sidelined after having his foot done in yesterday, bit concerned that it looked to me very much like the VvD injury incident last season.

On this showing we could do very well indeed so fingers crossed, stay calm, be positive and hold onto your seats.