Swansea (H) Match & Reaction Thread

benjii

So, here we go then.

I haven't been following other teams' transfers much over the summer so I've no idea what Swansea have been up to but hopefully we can get going with 3 points.

I think it's pretty obvious what our starting eleven will be from MP's selections so far, for good or for worse. The only doubt I have is which two out of Boufal, Tadic and Redmond will get the nod.

I predict a starting team of:

----------------------------Forster---------------------------

-Cedric Soares---Stephens-----Yoshida---------Bertrand

----------------------Romeu----Davis----------------------

-------Tadic----------Ward Prowse------------Redmond

---------------------------Gabbiadini---------------------

Bench: [GK], Pied, Bednarek, Hojbjerg/Clasie, Tadic/Boufal, Long / Gallagher, Austin

I think it's unlikely that any new signing will start and presumably Virgil is still a non-option. I'd like to see Boufal given as much opportunity as possible but I reckon Redmond and Tadic might get the nod for having more mutually complimentary qualities.

Decent enough options in the final third (and Sims to come in due course, hopefully) but, as everyone knows, centre back and centre mid are a concern. Throw a midfielder with a decent engine, a bit of height and an eye for pass into that squad, plus a Virgil, and there's no reason why we can't do another top 8.

So, here we go then.

I haven't been following other teams' transfers much over the summer so I've no idea what Swansea have been up to but hopefully we can get going with 3 points.

I think it's pretty obvious what our starting eleven will be from MP's selections so far, for good or for worse. The only doubt I have is which two out of Boufal, Tadic and Redmond will get the nod.

I predict a starting team of:

----------------------------Forster---------------------------

-Cedric Soares---Stephens-----Yoshida---------Bertrand

----------------------Romeu----Davis----------------------

-------Tadic----------Ward Prowse------------Redmond

---------------------------Gabbiadini---------------------

Bench: [GK], Pied, Bednarek, Hojbjerg/Clasie, Tadic/Boufal, Long / Gallagher, Austin

I think it's unlikely that any new signing will start and presumably Virgil is still a non-option. I'd like to see Boufal given as much opportunity as possible but I reckon Redmond and Tadic might get the nod for having more mutually complimentary qualities.

Decent enough options in the final third (and Sims to come in due course, hopefully) but, as everyone knows, centre back and centre mid are a concern. Throw a midfielder with a decent engine, a bit of height and an eye for pass into that squad, plus a Virgil, and there's no reason why we can't do another top 8.

They've landed a good striker on loan from Chelsea & a good play-maker from Spain.

The best news is that neither Llorente or Sigurdsson will be playing for them.

Got to be the first Gabby brace of the season hasn't it?

Still, judging by our opening days, I'm seeing a draw. Hopefully will be a good game with decent group pressing. Expect a strong first team as well- hopefully with a new signing on the bench.

Really excited for this season!

Have we ever had such a settled team from the end of one season to the start of the next? In fact Gabbiadini in for Austin excepted, the team that started against Stoke could be our exact starting XI next week. Settled is good. The last time we seemed so settled we had a 3-1 win against Leeds in our first game in the nPC promotion season. We start the season with no major outs which is a good thing.

I believe Tammy Abraham has scored a few in pre-season, but I still think Swansea will be in the relegation battle this season. As a result I think we'll banish the home voodoo early, and I'm going for 3-1 to the Saints!

Agree with that as a likely lineup. Boufal the only other possible starter.

Only concern is JWP just isn't a no10.

This.

Would love to see:

Forster

Cedric

VvD

Hoedt

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Boufal

Tadic

Redmond

Gabbi

Will likely be

Forster

Cedric

Stephens

Yoshi

Bertrand

Rom

Davis

Tadic

Jwp

Redmond

Gabbi

This is a game we *should win*

Important we get off to a good start.

Swansea have improved from last season, and they beat Sampdoria 4-0 yesterday, but I still fancy us to win, especially with no Llorente and Sigurdsson playing.

Make your mind up

Swansea are a far worse side than us, we will beat them easily.

We really should be winning at home to Swansea, especially with Sigurdsson and Llorente absent. I'm going for 2-1 Saints, would be nice to win on the opening day for a change!

If we do sign Lemina and bring in a CB of decent quality/keep VVD, I think 8th is a realistic target.

Hopefully Yoshida is okay to play after injury yesterday. If he is:-

1-1

Usual first game, it'll be disjointed and horrible and we'll scramble a draw. Hopefully!

If Yoshida is out and bednarek plays - nailed on loss. He is nowhere near premier quality yet, and we'll get beat.

Need to sign a quality cb regardless of vvd's outcome.

Hopefully Yoshida is okay to play after injury yesterday. If he is:-

1-1

Usual first game, it'll be disjointed and horrible and we'll scramble a draw. Hopefully!

If Yoshida is out and bednarek plays - nailed on loss. He is nowhere near premier quality yet, and we'll get beat.

Need to sign a quality cb regardless of vvd's outcome.

Well if VVD stays we clearly don't.

Imagine next week Saints went beast mode and announce:

Hoedt, Lemina, Sigurdsson

Now that would be a good transfer window.

I would need some pretty strong hallucinogenic substances to imagine the first and last. Hopefully the second may happen - fingers crossed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

-----------------Forster------------------

Cedric - Stephens - Yoshida - Bertrand

-----------Romeu-----Davis--------------

JWP-------------Tadic-----------Redmond

---------------Gabbiadini-----------------

Might take Boufal out my FF team as thought he'd be a starter this season and may well be, but probably not on Saturday.

COYS! Will be nice to be back, and have a bit of a day out on the beers!

2-1. It's the number of balls I have against total penises in my possession..... I'm not a footy expert.

So this means ..... if you were to consider your manly appendages penis first..... we lose 1-2?

Doesn't sound like a very firm (excuse the pun!) basis for football forecasting.

Or any other aspect of life for that matter!?

Interesting fact about Gardos. He's only ever played in one PL game (not that he has played that many!!) where we have lost. Everyone is far too quick to write him off as being awful. I know that he had a bad injury, but...???

Written off for absolutely no reason, I keep hoping the club haven't done the same.

Agree with that as a likely lineup. Boufal the only other possible starter.

Only concern is JWP just isn't a no10.

Yes but its not rocket science to suggest that the team we saw last Saturday is the one most likely. On a personal level, I'd start Boufal over Redmond who was woefully unfit at the weekend

The enigma that is James! Everyone says he isn't any good as a DMF, he isn't any good as a AMF and he's not a No 10. Week after week, manager after manager he gets a start but apart from a few corner kicks what is he any good at? Perhaps he can walk on water?

We really should be winning at home to Swansea, especially with Sigurdsson and Llorente absent. I'm going for 2-1 Saints, would be nice to win on the opening day for a change!

If we do sign Lemina and bring in a CB of decent quality/keep VVD, I think 8th is a realistic target.

BIB: Do we know this for sure or speculating? May affect my fantasy team.

BIB: Do we know this for sure or speculating? May affect my fantasy team.

Llorente is out with a broken arm I think. It's just assumed Sig won't play in the same way that Virgil won't play for us but don't think it's been confirmed he won't play.

I don't often play the selection game but this week is fascinating because (1) New manager with a new plan and (2) some players may have developed more through the close season than others. This is my guess, excluding subs:

Forster

Cedric; Stephens; Yoshida; Bertrand

Davis; Romeu

Tadic; Boufal; Redmond

Gabbiadini

I'm expecting that Lemina will soon be challenging Stephen Davis for a mid-field spot but not expecting him to go straight into the side as yet. As two of our biggest money signings, Boufal and Lemina could be the source of more goals from midfield, which is where Davis and JWP sometimes fall short.

Select VvD for the squad, wait for him to refuse to be in the squad then fine him another weeks wages (continue to do so until he buckles down..)

Forster

Cedric Stephens Yoshida Bertrand

Lemina Romeu

Davis

Tadic Gabbiadini Boufal

Appreciate Lemina probably wont start, but I couldn't look past him as, IMO, a midfield of Romeu, Davis and JWP is far too short and weak.

Pretty dull game, 1-1