Swansea (H) Match & Reaction Thread

benjii

Even though Mario Lemina and the Lying Dutchman would, when match fit and available, be in my strongest XI, I don't think a change of two players is the difference between us and the Swans. Feeling confident we will win this to be followed by something of a meltdown on here from those who prefer to have things to moan about.

Surprised at people continuing to suggest Tadic and Boufal in the same team. It doesn't work and leaves us too exposed (especially until Lemina gets in the side and provides a bit more defensive cover). No idea where Lemina is in terms of fitness but would be good to see him get minutes from the bench.

Forster

Cedric - Yoshida - Stephens - Bertrand

---JWP ------- Romeu ------ Davis ----

Redmond --- Gabbiadini --- Tadic ----

The first game of the season never fails to disappoint (Leeds aside) so I'm going for 0-0, or even 0-1 with added meltdown.

Surprised at people continuing to suggest Tadic and Boufal in the same team. It doesn't work and leaves us too exposed (especially until Lemina gets in the side and provides a bit more defensive cover). No idea where Lemina is in terms of fitness but would be good to see him get minutes from the bench...

Claud Puel was of the opinion he could play Tadic and Boufal together. Before and after he said that in January both have overcome injuries that limited one or the other at times and since then they have had over six months to become accustomed to each other's play in training. There is no reason why they should be treated as an either/or, especially when the alternatives do not carry the same goal threat. As for Lemina, agree it will be interesting to see if Pellegrino has seen enough of him to include him amongst the subs because you have to be sure that all the subs are worth their place in the team on the day. As always of course, whether any substitute comes on depends on the state of play at the time.

3,200 max I think.

I'm told we give just over 3300. Almost certainly the biggest in the league I think.

Swansea and West Ham have sold out plus Watford have also taken the full allocation so we'll see some big followings at St Marys, playing 3pm Saturday helps plus the £20 tickets. Shame we're not offered that price by other clubs, plus our ticket office prefers to take the smaller allocation.

https://www.watfordfc.com/matches/tickets/away-tickets-southampton-prices-sales-info

The away allocation is less than years ago as for recent seasons they have netting in the itchen corner.

This has only been there for about 4 or 5 seasons now, seems a bit pointless as there are always coppers and stewards along those stairs anyway so the club is missing a couple hundred or so seats

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/jack-armys-out-force-southampton

That is top support from Swansea (although I didn't think they away end holds 3400 unless they've got rid of the segregation netting)

Will make it a good atmosphere with the home end being sold out as well.

I think (after being intrigued and then spending a while on google maps, it's more than just a hunch) we are one of the better grounds to get to for them travel wise. I think, though it's close with a few others, only West Brom give fans in Swansea a shorter trip by car. Admittedly, it's still around 3 hours, but perhaps being first game of the season, and a good chance of 3 points (no doubt that's how they see it) might help!

Just don't rate him, not got it in for him.

That might have been ok to say from 2012 to 2016. But last season he was at a higher level and improved significantly, he doesn't make as many mistakes any more and looks a lot more composed on the ball.

I'd prefer Stephens & van Dijk (or a new CB if he goes), but Yoshida playing isn't the disaster you make out.

Cant be bothered to research but dont we have a pretty poor win ratio for first games of the season?

Seem to remember that Leeds 3-1 after promotion back to the Championship was last opening day winner

Away to West Brom shortly after Rickie scored his first goal for Scotland, 1-0 win.

Claud Puel was of the opinion he could play Tadic and Boufal together. Before and after he said that in January both have overcome injuries that limited one or the other at times and since then they have had over six months to become accustomed to each other's play in training. There is no reason why they should be treated as an either/or, especially when the alternatives do not carry the same goal threat. As for Lemina, agree it will be interesting to see if Pellegrino has seen enough of him to include him amongst the subs because you have to be sure that all the subs are worth their place in the team on the day. As always of course, whether any substitute comes on depends on the state of play at the time.

It's not necessarily Tadic and Boufal. But add Redmond as well and you have a problem. It doesn't really matter what Puel said, every time he put the three of them on our midfield dissipated and we totally lost control of the game. Bournemouth at home being the best and possibly first example. I totally understood Puel's reason for doing it, I may well have done the same - we had the better of the game, we were pushing but just lacked that cutting edge. We added the third musketeer, Bournemouth stuck an extra man in the middle and they pulverised us for the final 20 minutes. A one off perhaps, except we did again a week or two later, and then at least another time before the season was out and the result was the same every time - we looked worse, not better.

And I say that with a heavy heart - with no obvious AMC in the side it would brilliant if we could get them all in, the answer to all our prayers in fact. Who knows, maybe Pellegrino will find a solution which incorporates them, but until they demonstrate otherwise, I'm going to be sceptical.

3,200 max I think.

I thought it was 10% or 3000?

It's a minimum 10% of capacity up to 3,000 for League games, anything over 3,000 is down to the individual club. At St Mary's I believe the club give slightly over the max due to where the under-stand segregation is to keep rivals apart on the concourse - the area includes over 3,200 seats but any segregation (over the seats) comes out of the away allocation so the (if max) visitors figure is usually between 31,500-3,200. Seems weird the Swansea OS are saying "3,400" as that would include Saints ST holder seats!

That might have been ok to say from 2012 to 2016. But last season he was at a higher level and improved significantly, he doesn't make as many mistakes any more and looks a lot more composed on the ball.

I'd prefer Stephens & van Dijk (or a new CB if he goes), but Yoshida playing isn't the disaster you make out.

Yes thank you, I watch him every week, he's fine, but we should be looking to do better than "fine" at CB.

Mike Jones will be reffing - from memory, he's quite card happy

A quick look on Soccerbase shows he ref'd us 3 times last season, all at St. Mary's. Losses to Chelsea and West Brom (in which he sent VvD off) and the 1-0 win over....... Swansea!! :)

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

Stephens

Bertrand

Romeu

Davis ©

JWP

Tadic

Redmond

Gabbi

Subs: Taylor, Pied, Lemina, Hojbjerg, Boufal, Long, Austin

Injured/Dropped/On-Strike: McCarthy, Targett, Flanagan, Van Dijk, Gardos, Clasie, Gallagher, Wood, Jones, Bednarek, McQueen, Sims, Hesketh, Valery

Saints 2 Swansea 0

(Gabbi 23, Austin, 81)

Attendance: 30,975

Best pie: Chicken Balti

Edited by trousers
Thought better of starting with 10 players! Should probably also have a CB on the bench but hey ho....

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

Stephens

Bertrand

Romeu

Davis ©

Tadic

Redmond

Gabbi

Subs: Taylor, Pied, Lemina, JWP, Boufal, Long, Austin

Injured/Dropped/On-Strike: McCarthy, Targett, Flanagan, Van Dijk, Gardos, Clasie, Hojbjerg, Gallagher, Wood, Jones, Bednarek, McQueen, Sims, Hesketh, Valery

Saints 2 Swansea 0

(Gabbi 23, Austin, 81)

Attendance: 30,975

Best pie: Chicken Balti

We'd probably do better with 11 players. I'd choose JWP as the 11th.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What would we do if one of the centre backs was injured during the game? Unusual for a team not to have centre back cover as one of the 7 subs, so Bednarek may need to be an option on the bench.

Yep, just added that omission to my own observation too. My thinking is that we could probably shuffle Bertrand into CB but not ideal.