Swansea (H) Match & Reaction Thread

benjii

sorry if Ive missed it, but is there due to be a press conference ? last season was on a Thurs about 3pm

That's a fair point and a good spot sir. It is indeed usually held two days before the game. I suppose the opening game of the season might be an exception for some reason?

P.s. I can't begin to imagine what 99% of the journos' questions will be about.... (Clue: nothing to do with the game)
I hope MP has a suitably curt put-down prepared. I'd suggest, "He's not relevant to the game as he is training alone until he rediscovers his commitment. He is not for sale. We have had no offers. He will not be leaving. Next question, about the match, please"

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

FFS. You gotta be kidding me? :mcinnes:
It's the kidney that makes the pie. [emoji57][emoji23][emoji6][emoji16]

(But never at St Mary's. The ones at The Guide Dog are to die for. [emoji16])

Edited by Shroppie

Southampton have never won an opening day premier league game at home apparently.... True?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

A perfect time to get that particular Monkey off of our backs, and to clock up our 1000th win.

Head and heart says a 2-0 win.........

...........experience says 1-1 draw ;)

Southampton have never won an opening day premier league game at home apparently.... True?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Does help that we hadn't actually had one for about 15 years until last season.

Beat Leeds opening day in the Championship if that's any consolation.

A perfect time to get that particular Monkey off of our backs, and to clock up our 1000th win.

Head and heart says a 2-0 win.........

...........experience says 1-1 draw ;)

Are you going to do your "match by match tracker" thread again this season Minsk? Thought it was great last year!

It's the kidney that makes the pie. [emoji57][emoji23][emoji6][emoji16]

(But never at St Mary's. The ones at The Guide Dog are to die for. [emoji16])

I'm afraid The Guide Dog is only for post match beers, possibly from a jug if the group can agree, usually when we've done well, haven't too many before the game, it's a waxing moon and I'm not playing the following day. When that happens I'm going to go in and.."paging Shroppie...".

Gabby to relish a fresh start like when he first signed for us. 2-0

Please try to keep abreast of the evolution of the English language when posting. "Gabby to relish a fresh start like what he did when he first signed for us."

Also, we will win 3-0.

I'm afraid The Guide Dog is only for post match beers, possibly from a jug if the group can agree, usually when we've done well, haven't too many before the game, it's a waxing moon and I'm not playing the following day. When that happens I'm going to go in and.."paging Shroppie...".
I only go in if it's a match day and before or after the match. Well, apart from the other times.

Forster

Cedric

Stephens

Yoshida

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Boufal

Redmond

Tadic

Gabbiadini

Subs: Taylor, Pied, Bednarek, PEH, Davis, Long, Austin

I like this, but it depends on how 'Puel' he's going to be. Is MP2 more attacking? Hope so.

How about Austin on instead of Yoshi, up alongside Gabbi? Ooh, a risky-looking 3-2-3-2. Do it!

My expectation is that he'll start with 4-3-2-1, with Davis instead of Tadic to strengthen the DM areas. Isn't Davis skipper?

Ok, prediction: 2-1 Saints

Edited by 5string
Forgot prediction

Please try to keep abreast of the evolution of the English language when posting. "Gabby to relish a fresh start like what he did when he first signed for us."

Also, we will win 3-0.

That's an incorrect use of 'like'. "Gabby to relish a fresh start, as he did when he first signed for us."

HTH

Did we establish if we have ever won at home on the opening day of a PL season? If not I'm part of a relatively small Venn that saw us win 1-0 away at Coventry (Ostenstadt) in '99 if that's any good.

MP's first team;

FF

Picks itself

OR SD

REDMOND JWP TADIC

GABBI

All seems a bit samey but we do have that box to boxer to come in, reckon we will let in too many and not score enough, which will leave us in a relatively underwhelming 10th-12th finish.

Tomorrow?

0-0 or 1-1 for me.

Most important thing is that we all stick together as fans, and don't start turning on each other just because we lose the opening game of the season. The one good thing about the mess ahead of us is that all fans will be able to unite and be on the same page throughout the season. For once we could have a united fanbase for the entire season. We must be strong for the lads to help them through when will be the toughest season we've had in decades.

Most important thing is that we all stick together as fans, and don't start turning on each other just because we lose the opening game of the season. The one good thing about the mess ahead of us is that all fans will be able to unite and be on the same page throughout the season. For once we could have a united fanbase for the entire season. We must be strong for the lads to help them through when will be the toughest season we've had in decades.
Gotta be worth a few bites, surely?

I was never a Puel basher, but I have to admit its a breath of fresh air listening to a pre-match press conference where the manager is able to have a conversational dialogue with the journos.

Agree, MP spoke very well. Didn't get irked at all by the VVD questions though that may eventually change with the season getting under way.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-08-11/team-news-southampton-swansea-mauricio-pellegrino

New Southampton signing Mario Lemina could feature on the opening weekend of the season, with Mauricio Pellegrino revealing the player is in a good physical state.

There are no major injury concerns ahead of the visit of Paul Clement's Swans team, although players such as Cédric, who arrived late in pre-season due to his Confederations Cup involvement, will be monitored.

Surprised at people continuing to suggest Tadic and Boufal in the same team. It doesn't work and leaves us too exposed (especially until Lemina gets in the side and provides a bit more defensive cover). No idea where Lemina is in terms of fitness but would be good to see him get minutes from the bench.

Forster

Cedric - Yoshida - Stephens - Bertrand

---JWP ------- Romeu ------ Davis ----

Redmond --- Gabbiadini --- Tadic ----

The first game of the season never fails to disappoint (Leeds aside) so I'm going for 0-0, or even 0-1 with added meltdown.

Tadic and Boufal in the same team will work just fine. What doesn't work is playing four from Tadic, Redmond, Austin, Gabbi, Boufal, Long and Gallagher, has to be three at most.

The team pretty much picks itself other than which two of redmond/Boufal/Tadic manager goes for. Personally think redmond might miss out given his later return.

Forster

Cedric Stephens Yoshi Bertrand

Davis Romeu

Boufal JWP Tadic

Gabbi

Subs

Mccarthy/Taylor, Pied, Bedanek, Lemina, Long, Austin, Redmond

JWP as the 10 - as part of a team that "picks itself" ........you've seen something I haven't!

I was never a Puel basher, but I have to admit its a breath of fresh air listening to a pre-match press conference where the manager is able to have a conversational dialogue with the journos.

I agree, Puel should have accepted his English wasn't good enough (which would have been fair enough for someone who has never worked in the country) and used an interpreter

What I'd like to see:

Forster, Cedric, Yoshida, Stephens, Bertrand, Romeu, Lemina, Remond, Boufal, Tadic, Gabbiadini

What I think we'll see:

Forster, Cedric, Yoshida, Stephens, Bertrand, Romeu, Davis, Remond, JWP, Tadic, Gabbiadini