Swansea (H) Match & Reaction Thread

benjii

F**king atrocious.

Same personnel, same outcome.

This should have been a banker.

FFS time to get rid of Tadic.

Did you watch the game? It was far from atrocious and Tadic played very well. You really are clueless.

Mike Jones should be demoted.

Fer jumps into Tadic early in the game = Swansea free kick.

Romeu wins the ball cleanly and his follow through takes him into Carroll. Swansea free kick + yellow card for Romeu.

Blatant penalty for a bad tackle on Tadic = nothing.

Dangerous scissor tackle on Redmond = nothing.

Redmond gets between Fabianski and the ball = yellow card Redmond.

Bartley blocks a shot with his arms in an unnatural position (although close to the ball) = nothing.

Jones is completely useless at his job and should face disciplinary action.

Got to hand it to Swansea. They were utterly useless as an attacking force but they kept their shape at the back and defended very well. Kept our players most likely to score quiet and gambled on the rest being as profligate as they were last season. Seems like they did their homework on us.

Overall though, I thought we were much more adventurous and entertaining than we were for most of last season, so I'm not downhearted by the performance at all.

I'm happy with the performance, given we couldn't hit a barn door the pattern of play was much better and the problems mainly are to do with the fact we lack height on crosses, so we have far too many half chances but not clear-cut chances. Tadic despite his misses played well and did some lovely touches and almost scored a stunner. Cedric/Bertrand were excellent, Romeu was good, Davis was poor, JWP poor set pieces today, Redmond had flashes of excellence but also some hesistant play. Overall on another day it could have been 4-0, but they stuck 11-men behind the ball and it worked for Swansea. I'm optimistic we'll do well against some attacking sides.

We should have stuffed them. Ran out of ideas but more attacking play and pressing means we will be better to watch this season.

Positives: Stephens, Cedric, Bertrand, redmond, jwp (no idea why he was subbed)

Negatives: Yoshida (damn VVD, he has let us all down and we need to sell him now and get a good replacement in), Tadic, Davis (way too slow) and Gabbiadini (looks a pale imitation of the player we first signed)

Shooting was absolutely abysmal and way too predictable. Only JWP looked like an attacking threat driving to goal from midfield. Tadic does my nut in, Davis too slow and we desperately need a quality CB to partner Stephens.

Not a bad start, just deeply frustrating that we cannot score for toffee

Swansea came for a point and got a point. Agree with the majority, our finishing (or lack of it) is what is costing us.

I whinged the other day because I didn't see us creating enough chances, today we did, but we just didn't take advantage. Pretty good performance though and if we find our shooting boots, we should be ok.

As for Alpine - given that Burnley just beat Chelsea, and Watford drew against Liverpool and Leicester nearly beat Arsenal, Huddersfield beat Palace etc - THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS as "home bankers". Anyone can beat anyone in this league, and we should never become too entitled, we had a bad day in front of goal but performance wise, it was good.

F**king atrocious.

And the "deserved" and "unlucky" crap has already started.

Same personnel, same outcome.

This should have been a banker.

FFS time to get rid of Tadic.

While Tadic missed a sitter he actually played quite well. If it had been a boxing match it was unanimous, Saints win, but the near things, lack of a clinical finish and a bit of bad luck worked against us. Thought Bertrand and Cedric were good; Romeu and Davis hard working; Redmond busy and a nice little cameo from Boufal.

Decent performance, slicker and quicker passing, and much better movement. However, we are a much better side when we keep some width and we always have a tendency to drift inside whenever we get frustrated. Cahill's sending off and subsequent ban should speed up van Dijk's departure. We need to spend the money on a quality number 10 who can link play and chip in with a few goals, such as Gylfi Sigurðsson.

We should have stuffed them. Ran out of ideas but more attacking play and pressing means we will be better to watch this season.

Negatives: Yoshida (damn VVD, he has let us all down and we need to sell him now and get a good replacement in), Tadic, Davis (way too slow) and Gabbiadini (looks a pale imitation of the player we first signed)

Shooting was absolutely abysmal and way too predictable. Only JWP looked like an attacking threat driving to goal from midfield. Tadic does my nut in, Davis too slow and we desperately need a quality CB to partner Stephens.

Christ you talk some crap - what did Yoshida do wrong? He won virtually everything, distribution was sharp. He missed a v.good header and was turned once but that was it. His other chances were decent efforts.

We played some good stuff - albeit against a side of very limited ambition. But 29 shots and 2 on target tells a familiar tale.

The problem is a lot of our chances tend to fall to terrible finishers like Tadic and Redmond or rare scorers like David and Redmond.

Hard to be too harsh on the team - you couldn't pick out anyone who didn't play quite well - and overall it was more positive than the death throes of the Puel era.

And Forster got another of his fabled clean sheets where he didn't have a single shot to save but the statistic will be held up anyway as iron-clad evidence of his quality. So that's nice...

Obviously it's early days but first impressions are that it doesn't look like we've addressed any of the issues from last season. It's going to be a very long season.

Well we have addressed the issue of sending me to sleep every time I watch us play. A lot better today, think it'll all click with Pellegrino soon.

Pleased with the performance if not the result but hey we don’t win at home on opening day do we. Tadic and Yoshida with the best chances but really need to test the keeper more. The fact we were creating so many chances, especially as Swansea looked very much set up to just defend for the vast majority of the game is promising since we’d be lucky to get a quarter of that many chances in a similar type of situation last year.

Ref had a bit of a shocker – Tadic should have had a pen and Romeu should never have been booked. That tackle on Redmond should have been punished as well but don’t think we should have had the pen for handball – would have gone straight into the lads chest/face if he hadn’t put his hands up so gained no advantage from in.

What pleased me the most was the effort all the lads put in. You could see how badly they wanted to win and seemingly have all bought in to the managers tactics. Glad to see an emphasis on attacking football as well. I’d almost suggest the Van Dijk saga isn’t affecting them at all – all the more reason to stand our ground on him as it doesn’t seem to be as disruptive as others think.

Good early signs and if we can improve our finishing should lead to good things the rest of the season.

I'm sorry but to call out all those players and say "only JWP looked an attacking threat" shows you are biased in favour of him. He showed some positive signs but was hardly standing out from the crowd, and also missed a very good chance don't forget.

Can't believe Tadic missed that sitter in the 1st half.

its almost like he is allergic to shooting and scoring. I know he get the odd goal, but for the amount of chances and times he gets in goals scoring positions, not nearly enough

Played well, should have won. Swansea look poor. Their fans celebrating at the end sums it up.

Lets beat the Hammers...

they played so deep, with absolutely no ambition. We did well to create so many chances with such little space available...

Frustrating our failure to convert dominance into a victory.

That said so much better than anything I saw from puel's saints. Some delicious passing football.

Thought tadic was very good today that Miss apart.

Surely we should have had at least one of those penalty appeals too. Also hope Romeu yellow isn't a sign of refs stance because that was just regular commitment to winning the ball. If football is going to remove that they might as well go non contact.

Can't believe Tadic missed that sitter in the 1st half.

I actually thought the one towards the end was better. The first one came early in the game (which shouldn't be an excuse, but especially in the first game of the season I imagine it takes a little while to settle and get your eye in), it was fired fairly hard across, he was on his weaker foot and having to adjust his feet to get the angle right. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good chance which he should score, but the one towards the end was perfectly rolled onto his left foot, and at the very least he had to hit the target with it, rather than curling it over.

I thought we played much better and should have won at a canter.

We started Ok but got better once Tadic went right and JWP moved inside. On the wing JWP would not turn his man and just played it backwards and safe, making us lopsided.

The bookings were bizzare, and although I can see why he didn't give the first Penalty, he would have if the same thing happened to Deli Ali. As for the 2nd penalty, I have not seen anyone knock the ball fronm hand to hand like that since the Harlem Globetrotters.

Tadic MOM for me, made everything happen. Also good to see him Boufal and redmond on the pitch at the same time and us still keep control of midfield.

Finally, am I right in thinkling that the last time we won our first game of the season at home in the top flight was the 5 nil against West Ham when a young Le Tiss got the 4th goal ?

If that's Tadic playing well, and still we can't score, doesn't it highlight the point it's just not working with him?

he's an extremely frustrating player. Tremendous first touch and ability, which you really miss when he doesn't play, but he leaves you wanting so much more. He doesn't shoot. As has been said he doesnt have that killer instinct.

Edited by Chez

One positive, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, is the infrequency of the ball back to Forster. Yes, it sometimes went back, but only when there weren't any decent options. Last season we somehow managed to get it back to him when we were on the edge of the opponents box at times...

My reaction from the match is one of frustration, only having 2 out of 29 shots on target and spending virtually the entire game in their half/third. That doesn't mean there aren't positives though, we played pretty well, could and should have scored at least a couple. The team seemed to know what they were doing both offensively and defensively.

Trouble is, we've outplayed Swansea at home and haven't won. First game of the season, never mind, at least we're off the board, but we have a fairly decent start to the season so can't afford to have too many of these "one that got away" fixtures.