Davinson Sanchez

ziggee

I can’t understand why no English clubs have pushed the boat out for this lad. Even for 35mil; at 21 he would be a great investment. A few rough edges to be sure, but he has all the attributes to be a world class CB in the near future.

Admittedly, we would be just one step up the ladder, but he’s the only CB around who maybe available, and is an improvement on Stephens/Yoshida.

Sell for 120mil in 3 years, or a goat and two hens, depending on how things pan out.

Work permit could be difficult and it's very unlikely Ajax would want to sell him or listen to offers (unless it's silly money). Sanchez must be the biggest talent at CB in the world atm. He could play another season at Ajax and make the move to Barcelona (according to sources in Holland).

He's not going to give up CL football for us. Looked tremendous last season. I think that boat has sailed, sadly.

Money talks. CL doesn't pay you a huge amount more - maybe a small win bonus or appearance bonus. This European football excuse that players trot out, is just that, an excuse that is very much secondary to one's weekly wage.

Money talks. CL doesn't pay you a huge amount more - maybe a small win bonus or appearance bonus. This European football excuse that players trot out, is just that, an excuse that is very much secondary to one's weekly wage.

fair point, but I'd of thought a move to a CL club that also pays a shed load of money is on the cards for him. He was linked with Barca earlier in the year, who knows if that interest was real, but I think it gives an indication of his level. What a signing that would be. The kind that would instantly ease the pain of losing VVD.

Just noticed that Ajax went out of the CL qualifiers, so one less reason to stay at Ajax.

Edited by Chez

He's not going to give up CL football for us. Looked tremendous last season. I think that boat has sailed, sadly.

Ajax lost to Olympique Nice in the 2nd round of qualifiers for the CL. Anyway I can see Sanchez leaving for Spain after this season.

Excellent player, though probably not as good as Yerry Mina, the Colombian centre back at Palmeiras. Suspect both players are on the shopping lists of bigger and better clubs than us, both have been mentioned in dispatches as targets for Barcelona etc in the past. Don't think work permits would be that hard though given Colombia's high FIFA ranking.

Also, as Richarlison has been granted a work permit despite the fact that he has only 9 caps for the Brazilian U20 team and is a long way away from getting full caps, it would not be too difficult for Sánchez to get a permit. The situation is rather different with players from lower ranked teams in the world rankings, as can be seen in the case of Peñaranda, also at Watford, who can't get a permit yet and has had to be loaned abroad. Similar situation to Richarlison, but more caps, but Venezuela have a very low ranking. For what it is worth, I wonder if there is any mileage in trying to set up a scouting network in South America. There are some bargains to be had, and many young players would have good sell on value - obviously does go against our own youth policy.

Also, as Richarlison has been granted a work permit despite the fact that he has only 9 caps for the Brazilian U20 team and is a long way away from getting full caps, it would not be too difficult for Sánchez to get a permit. The situation is rather different with players from lower ranked teams in the world rankings, as can be seen in the case of Peñaranda, also at Watford, who can't get a permit yet and has had to be loaned abroad. Similar situation to Richarlison, but more caps, but Venezuela have a very low ranking. For what it is worth, I wonder if there is any mileage in trying to set up a scouting network in South America. There are some bargains to be had, and many young players would have good sell on value - obviously does go against our own youth policy.

Well after our experience with Arias, Delgado, Chala, Ramirez, Osvaldo I am not sure it will be well received do you?

Well after our experience with Arias, Delgado, Chala, Ramirez, Osvaldo I am not sure it will be well received do you?

No reason why it can't work. I think clubs in England used to be a long way behind the times about how to look after foreign players, particularly those from South America, who come from very very different backgrounds, and often were poorly integrated and not helped settle in a new country. Now that we have a much more globalised game, and a more professional approach to these issues as well, there is no reason why South American players couldn't succeed. It's always a risk, but we could equally point to a lot of English players that were bought and failed as well. If you do the scouting and research properly and make sure you help the players settle in then it could work.

No reason why it can't work. I think clubs in England used to be a long way behind the times about how to look after foreign players, particularly those from South America, who come from very very different backgrounds, and often were poorly integrated and not helped settle in a new country. Now that we have a much more globalised game, and a more professional approach to these issues as well, there is no reason why South American players couldn't succeed. It's always a risk, but we could equally point to a lot of English players that were bought and failed as well. If you do the scouting and research properly and make sure you help the players settle in then it could work.

He turned down a contract with Barcelona last year because he didn’t want to play for their B Team , so he may see a team like ours as a good interim move.

Seems to have settled in Holland ok, and having a South American Coach who speaks his language would do no harm either.

If merely a better chance of Champions League football was their concern then...

- Clasie & Pelle would have stayed at Feyenoord

- van Dijk, Foster & Wanyama would have stayed at Celtic

- Cedric would have stayed at Sporting Lisbon

- Mane at Red Bull Salzburg

etc etc

They didn't stay, because playing in the Premier League & having Premier League wages is a bigger draw for them than Champions League football at a club in a smaller European league.

If merely a better chance of Champions League football was their concern then...

- Clasie & Pelle would have stayed at Feyenoord

- van Dijk, Foster & Wanyama would have stayed at Celtic

- Cedric would have stayed at Sporting Lisbon

- Mane at Red Bull Salzburg

etc etc

They didn't stay, because playing in the Premier League & having Premier League wages is a bigger draw for them than Champions League football at a club in a smaller European league.

fair point. What I meant was that, unlike all of those mentioned, I think he might believe he get a move to another CL club that pay the big wages.

He turned down a contract with Barcelona last year because he didn’t want to play for their B Team , so he may see a team like ours as a good interim move.

Seems to have settled in Holland ok, and having a South American Coach who speaks his language would do no harm either.

Unfortunately these things apply to Spurs as well, and Levi knows a good investment when he sees one.

It’s a shame we didn’t at least try, and if we end up with Wimmer for £20million, I may have to sob.

• 2 weeks later...