Will we score enough goals?

Dusic

Clearly goalscoring was our biggest issue last season, and largely contributed to Puel being (rightly) fired.

This summer has seen a new Manager but no new signings from an attacking perspective.

Do you expect a different story goal wise or more of the same?

Clearly goalscoring was our biggest issue last season, and largely contributed to Puel being (rightly) fired.

This summer has seen a new Manager but no new signings from an attacking perspective.

Do you expect a different story goal wise or more of the same?

If Gabbi shows the sharpness we saw before his injury he's capable of 20+. Charlie should manage a few if he can stay fit and get enough chances, since I think he's behind Gabbi in the pecking order and the two striker experiment doesn't work. I'm not holding my breath over the other strikers, mainly because they'll get little game time.

I get some more optimism from seeing the likes of JWP and Davis maybe looking keener to get into the box. And if Lemina shores up the midfield, they should get more opportunities to go forward.

That leaves Tadic, Boufal and Redmond needing to get closer to the sort of return they should be delivering, and maybe a stronger midfield will help them too.

So overall, hopeful that things will get better.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think we're in for a good season. And that means goals. Think we'll be solid at the with quite a few goals (+10 GD sort of territory). But not super tight like the last few years.

Sadly we could have been stronger than we are, and it's another summer wasted in that regard by our board.

From what I've seen pre-season It doesn't look like our attacking play is much different from last season there is a heavy emphasis on getting out wide and crossing into the box so if that's the case we need more quality deliveries, more players trying to to get into the opposition box and more composure in front of goal than last season. Same players though so I guess it all depends on if they can up their performance levels.

Depends on a lot of variables really – will the new managers tactics increase our number of chances? Will we continue relying on crosses from the wings or start taking a more direct approach (which probably suits our strikeforce better)? Will Austin and Gabbi remain injury free? Will Gallagher be able to provide some threat like he did for Blackburn on loan? Will JWP continue to improve and chip in with some more goals (I’ve noticed he’s been getting in better positions last year and this pre-season at least)? Can Long possibly be any more wasteful with chances than last season? (can’t see how!).

I was of the opinion that our goal return last year was pretty much the worst we could have done with the players we have and so am expecting an improvement just on the law of averages. Like I said though, there are a lot of variables and so nothing is guaranteed. There’s also the issue that even if we score more we may be likely to concede more due to the absence of VVD so more goals may not even lead to greater success.

Really don’t think we’ll have any real idea until at least 5 games in where we see how the new managers tactics are working and what form players are in but I’m mildly optimistic.

Pretty much how I feel DEM. A few more succesful penalties would chip in too, perhaps PEH will learn not to panic and balloon shots high, Tadic shooting when he has the opportunity etc. Maybe one of those will break their seal early in the season and the goals will flow. At least I'll be getting on the train with optimism in 48 hours!