Saints Sign Jack Rose (Goalkeeper)

jdsaint

I assume he's there to play in U23 league & EFL trophy.

I think he qualifies as u21 (born 31 Jan 1995) so can provide cover, assumes Gazza is going, as he hasn't been given a squad number. It looks like they have been hanging on until McCarthy is proven fit again. We certainly needed a keeper for the U23s.

I think he qualifies as u21 (born 31 Jan 1995) so can provide cover, assumes Gazza is going, as he hasn't been given a squad number. It looks like they have been hanging on until McCarthy is proven fit again. We certainly needed a keeper for the U23s.

That makes him 22 and a half so I'm not sure why you think he qualifies as U21 - assuming you're talking about Premier League squads?

Goalkeepers develop later than other positions - many come into their prime in their late twenties. Working with the England goalkeeper coach and at a bigger club, with better training facilities, could do wonders for him, and untap his potential.

Watson isn't the England GK coach anymore.

That makes him 22 and a half so I'm not sure why you think he qualifies as U21 - assuming you're talking about Premier League squads?

You're right, sorry, he was 21 on 1st January, I think, I was thinking it was 21 or under on 1st Jan that season starts. Makes it all the stranger in that case. We now have 2 players over and above the 25 player limit, and both keepers. Clearly just here for the PL2/u23s/FLT in that case. Bizarre.

Why does that make it bizarre? Harry Lewis gets senior team experience for a season, we have a Jack Rose to play for the under 23s.
It is slightly bizarre in that you would ideally have a succession plan of having a decent U18 keeper ready to step into the U23s with Lewis not there.

Last year we signed Latham who was clearly a stop gap to have a semi competent keeper in the U18s and that seems to be what Rose is. If so, fair enough and hopefully he does well. But shows there is a bit of a gap of none of the young keepers being good enough for U23 football.

Bit similar with strikers. I think the U23s will struggle with only an injury prone Barnes as a striker option unless a 16 year old wonderkid is on the scene.

Why does that make it bizarre? Harry Lewis gets senior team experience for a season, we have a Jack Rose to play for the under 23s.

That was part of the reason they signed Hassen last season too; Lewis was benchwarming and not getting game time when Puel felt he wasn't ready to suddenly be called into the breach if Fraser got injured, hence Hassen coming in.

This season they've let him out on loan and Rose covers him for the year.

Do they still have hopes for Lewis? On loan in a poor league, but looked miles from first team ready when he came in last season. McCarthy isn't the quality to challenge Fraser but reasonable back up.

A loan spell in Scotland never did any harm for the likes of Forster and Tim Krul?