Shane Long

supersonic

Apologies if posted elsewhere but just passing on what I've been told (about 7/10 days ago).

...Has agreed personal terms with Burnley, however he's also waiting to see if interest from Reading is legitimate as would like to discuss with them (family and emotional reasons).

Unlikely to leave unless club have a replacement for him, however.

Burnley move has been reported elsewhere, no idea on figures or update.

Would be sad to see him go, but I think we need to move on.

Apologies if posted elsewhere but just passing on what I've been told (about 7/10 days ago).

...Has agreed personal terms with Burnley, however he's also waiting to see if interest from Reading is legitimate as would like to discuss with them (family and emotional reasons).

Unlikely to leave unless club have a replacement for him, however.

Burnley move has been reported elsewhere, no idea on figures or update.

Would be sad to see him go, but I think we need to move on.

Burnley in for Chris Wood at Leeds so don't know if they want Shane as well or incase they can't get that over the line.

Still think he's a better option that Boufal, Redmond or Tadic. Certainly works harder than any of them. Be sad to see him go but if he's not going to get regular football then no point in keeping him.
Game of opinions. Mine is he is nowhere near a better option than those listed.

His finishing is woeful, first touch awful. Crossing and passing not much better.

He is a useful running player in a direct team.

Whilst he (and his family) are very keen on a move back to Reading, I can't see how they can afford him. The price would surely be around £10m and his wages about £40k. Reading are now in their third season since relegation and have lost the parachute payments, I can't see them being able to afford to offer him that, or him taking a large enough pay cut to join them.

Disagree with the above poster, I'd place Tadic, Redmond and Boufal ahead of him. Shane's quick, but then again he needs to be with his first touch, and simply doesn't score anywhere near enough goals.

With 21 players in Swansea's half for much of the game on the weekend, I thought that Long might have come on to try and beat them with the ball over the top. But we huffed and we puffed and we couldn't blow the wall now.

With 21 players in Swansea's half at the weekend as you say, where on earth do you think the space was going to be created to place a ball over the top? Saturday's type of game was exactly what Long is not suitable for. When we have our backs to the wall and are defending deep Shane is useful as he's an outlet for a long clearance out of defence. Sometimes it works - Liverpool away in the semi - sometimes it doesn't.

I'll happily drive him to Reading or Burnley personally, I don't see what he offers us. Gabbi can do that but his running is far more effective at creating chances. Long just runs onto balls over the top and is usually offside or misses the target. He might do a reasonable job for a bottom half team who play backs to the wall but I'd like to think we're better than that.

With 21 players in Swansea's half at the weekend as you say, where on earth do you think the space was going to be created to place a ball over the top? Saturday's type of game was exactly what Long is not suitable for. When we have our backs to the wall and are defending deep Shane is useful as he's an outlet for a long clearance out of defence. Sometimes it works - Liverpool away in the semi - sometimes it doesn't.

For examples, in the 67th and 74th minutes.

Surprised Brighton aren't interested. He'd be perfect for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were at the start of the summer along with Bournemouth and Reading.

Not sure what happened, I guess both (bmouth and Brighton) signed other targets.

If he goes anywhere, IMO it'll be back to Reading. As poster has rightly pointed out, he/his family are very much against moving back up North (hence to he move to us in the first place).

For examples, in the 67th and 74th minutes.

So there were two occasions when we might have been able to send a ball over the top which Shane might have been able to latch onto. I'm sticking by my opinion that the match on Saturday wasn't one for him. Other games will be, but not that one.

They were at the start of the summer along with Bournemouth and Reading.

Not sure what happened, I guess both (bmouth and Brighton) signed other targets.

If he goes anywhere, IMO it'll be back to Reading. As poster has rightly pointed out, he/his family are very much against moving back up North (hence to he move to us in the first place).

The problem is he's going to have to take one hell of a pay rise to get back there. he turned down Stoke to join us because of his families fondness of the South of England

Game of opinions. Mine is he is nowhere near a better option than those listed.

His finishing is woeful, first touch awful. Crossing and passing not much better.

He is a useful running player in a direct team.

I think he is a very useful player late in a game if we like the current score or if we have no choice but to attack on the counter.

The problem is he's going to have to take one hell of a pay rise to get back there. he turned down Stoke to join us because of his families fondness of the South of England

Why are they so against the north of England? The cold weather and rain, or something else?

As a professional sportsman, surely you'd still want to compete at the highest possible level (and coincidentally earn more money for doing so). If he goes to Burnley, he is a week-in, week-out Premier League starter earning probably $40-50k a week. If he goes to Reading, he starts in the second division and probably earns $20k a week if he's lucky. At 30 years old, it's not like he'd have to be up Burnley way for 5 years, he'd be looking at a 2 or 3 year contract maximum and he could stick in a relegation get-out clause anyway.

Should sell he's not good enough. Don't get the affection he gets from fans. Tries hard but his scoring record is pants.

Agree. He's a likeable, tenacious, fast forward - but his control, touch and finishing are not good enough. Hope he goes to Reading.

Why are they so against the north of England? The cold weather and rain, or something else?

As a professional sportsman, surely you'd still want to compete at the highest possible level (and coincidentally earn more money for doing so). If he goes to Burnley, he is a week-in, week-out Premier League starter earning probably $40-50k a week. If he goes to Reading, he starts in the second division and probably earns $20k a week if he's lucky. At 30 years old, it's not like he'd have to be up Burnley way for 5 years, he'd be looking at a 2 or 3 year contract maximum and he could stick in a relegation get-out clause anyway.

His wife is from Reading and his kids are settled at school down here.

Both him and his wife are very family-orientated and would prefer (if possible) to stay in this part of the world. Eventually he'll play for Reading again, but he may have to wait a few more seasons before his value drops to a level they can afford.

15/16 season his scoring record was fine and with assists he was very good. We then had a manager that believed in him and gave him a run in the team which is what he needs. What most strikers need.

That's not the norm tho looking at his stats for career.

Unfortunately looks like Burnley are going for Chris Wood. Is there anyone else who might realistically be able to take Long off our hands?

I could do with a footballer/singer/song writer to sort me herbaceous borders out. There's a load of deadheading needs done.

£10 per hour, two days a week.