PL Clubs to Discuss Transfer Window Shutting Before Season Starts

SaintSeb

although we hate the window being open in August, it also suited us previously when buying players after the season had started (rickly lambert for example)

and throwing cash around in league 1

This is the case for most clubs and is just a result of both the buying and selling clubs trying to drive a hard bargain. The same thing will still happen, the last week or two of the window will be the busiest whenever the deadline is. All the same deals will still get done. You could probably just have the window open for a month and the same deals would all still get done.

Yes, agree. Always believed the transfer window should be closed before the season starts. And the window itself could be just a week long to get the deals done quickly. It's too much like an ebay auction currently, nothing (little) happens until the final hour.

Crazy when matches are in play on the final night of the window, and your key players are given the night off to go sign for another team, or park outside the ground hoping a team will get a deal done and you are there to sign the document.

Close the window 31st July!

This will just make the whole market worse to be honest. Less time to make transfers, higher pressure.

What they should have done was get rid of the transfer window full stop.

Needless to say, people will just lap this up regardless.

I think a more sensible move would be getting rid of the winter transfer window - way to often people just buy there way out of trouble and it seems way more unfair than having a few games at the start of the season where the window is open.

You would have to make the rest of europe fall in line, or as others have said it will be unfair for the prem.

Get rid of the window completely. Bring in a "cup-tied" rule for the league - i.e. once a player has played for a club in a league game (and/or any European competition) that season he can't play for another team in the same league/division until next season. That would not only make for an unofficial out of season "window" but it could encourage clubs to look at players from lower leagues mid season if changes/replacements are needed.

Get rid of the window completely. Bring in a "cup-tied" rule for the league - i.e. once a player has played for a club in a league game (and/or any European competition) that season he can't play for another team in the same league/division until next season. That would not only make for an unofficial out of season "window" but it could encourage clubs to look at players from lower leagues mid season if changes/replacements are needed.

Whilst I get the point, all you are really doing here is moving the 'issue' further down the league pyramid. So you'll end up with NPC, L1, L2 clubs having their players unsettled mid-season by top level clubs. Not sure there's an easy solution to it at all, closing it before the season starts is a good idea in principle, but it will be fraught with issues due to all the other leagues around the world starting at different dates.

The fix here is a wage and spending cap. Players get unsettled because they see the riches at another club, but if there is a league-wide wage cap, then that appetizer is reduced.

This will just make the whole market worse to be honest. Less time to make transfers, higher pressure.

What they should have done was get rid of the transfer window full stop.

Needless to say, people will just lap this up regardless.

Some people. Imagine if we had no window at the back end of the season before last; Liverpool come in and poach Mane for the run in, we slump to 8th and miss out on Europe. Leicester's title charge wouldn't have happened most likely. Not having a window these days would be absolute chaos with the money the big teams have. They could just swoop in and nick any form player that happens to be helping a smaller team challenge the big boys as it would be peanuts to them compared to what they'd lose for missing out on Europe.

In The Times today an agent, Sam Winstanley, is arguing against this - surprise. His reasoning is that it will drive prices up because deals would have to be completed early, and disadvantage the clubs playing in Europe, who could still lose players if the other leagues do not fall into line. The article is a thinly veiled attack on the "smaller" clubs.

Great idea. There will be a dispensation for the big six, of course, so that they can remain competitive in Europe.

But will Sky allow it, having to deal with two deadline days in one window? Jim White would spontaneously implode.

Whilst I get the point, all you are really doing here is moving the 'issue' further down the league pyramid. So you'll end up with NPC, L1, L2 clubs having their players unsettled mid-season by top level clubs. Not sure there's an easy solution to it at all, closing it before the season starts is a good idea in principle, but it will be fraught with issues due to all the other leagues around the world starting at different dates.

The fix here is a wage and spending cap. Players get unsettled because they see the riches at another club, but if there is a league-wide wage cap, then that appetizer is reduced.

I agree that it does move the issue further down the pyramid, but at least if a higher team signs a lower division player mid season it's because that player has actually earned the right to better himself with an upward career move, he wouldn't be simply moving sideways for more money.

Agree on wage cap, I'd love to see that. But I'd like to see an overall squad wages cap, not an individual one. That would make the game a bit more like Fantasy Football, with clubs having to make decisions whether to fork out big wages on 2 or 3 superstars accompanied by "nobodies" or build a decent squad of average players. Realistically that would, over time probably level out wages any way.

I'm actually surprised nobody has tested this in a court. I'm pretty sure there could be a restraint of trade angle. I guess nobody wants to get bogged down with years of litigation like Bosman was, pretty much finishing his career. If I want to leave one employer, they're happy for me to go, & another employer wants me, surely there's a case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this would be a very good idea if it was Europe-wide, but if it only applies to transfers within England (or the whole UK), won't that just damage the prospects of English-based players?

If there's a later transfer deadline day for selling players to Europe, surely that would also have to allow English clubs to buy players from Europe after the domestic transfer window has "slammed shut" ©.

This will just encourage English clubs to do more international transfers and less domestic transfers.

Having said that, I think more English players playing abroad would help the England team (not that many Premier League Chairmen will care much about that).

I'm actually surprised nobody has tested this in a court. I'm pretty sure there could be a restraint of trade angle. I guess nobody wants to get bogged down with years of litigation like Bosman was, pretty much finishing his career. If I want to leave one employer, they're happy for me to go, & another employer wants me, surely there's a case.

Yeah the restraint on trade angle is interesting. I think there is probably basis in this argument and as someone their 40s who remembers the old system of up to end if March window I think it would be best to return to that model but adapt it. I would suggest that clubs can sell a player at anytime and therefore buy at any time, however there should be a sensible point in the season where players can't play for the new club until the following season.

Can someone explain why the European angle is a problem. The narrative is that no English club could buy once the season starts, but could still sell to foreign clubs.

Why not change the rules so that English clubs can neither buy nor sell once the season begins?

Can someone explain why the European angle is a problem. The narrative is that no English club could buy once the season starts, but could still sell to foreign clubs.

Why not change the rules so that English clubs can neither buy nor sell once the season begins?

Or that they can't buy or sell in the UK, but can overseas.

There's no real restraint of trade because a player can sign for another club I believe. It's just that he can't play for them in the league?

The answer to all this is really quite simple in my mind and you don’t need to even move the transfer window for it either – clubs just need to take a stronger stance with players and actually follow it through. I don’t see why a club at the start of the window can’t just put out an official statement to all players / clubs / agents saying that they will only be doing business up until the start of the season and that after that point they will not sell their players under any circumstances. Yes you will get some players trying their luck but once you make an example of a few of them people will soon get the idea and get in line (or realise they need to do their business early and not hold out for a ‘last minute deal’ or let negotiations drag on).

Problem is you have to be willing to keep hold of a disgruntled / want away player until at least the next window which may mean keeping them on the side-lines indefinitely but this is the only way clubs are going to get control back over things and is well overdue in my mind.

This is why it’s so important for us to stick to our guns regarding Van Dijk – not just for our benefit but as an example to all clubs that you don’t need to cave to player demands. Arsenal seem to be doing the same with Sanchez so a precedent may already be being set.

Of course the Prem is such a business nowadays that clubs can’t be seen to be letting an asset remain unused and possibly depreciate in value so they end up selling regardless just ensuring that the situation repeats itself in future.

Or that they can't buy or sell in the UK, but can overseas.

Yeah why not - "no transfers can take place between English league clubs after X Date" would surely work. It then means if a team kicks off the season and realises their Danny Fox equivalent is not cut out for this level, or if they get a season ending injury in the first game, they do at least have a chance to do something about it. It just has to be from abroad. I'd imagine it would have to be 'English League' rather than 'UK' as it would be a league, rather than country initiative?

Southampton are also firmly in favour of closing the transfer window before future Premier League seasons kick off, according to chairman Ralph Krueger.

"I think that it's the system we need to look at, so we're a huge proponent of closing the transfer window before the season starts," Krueger said

"We're a huge proponent of looking at why these kind of situations even evolve."