Hugo Scheckter comes out as gay.

W9Saint

Who cares if he is or isnt.

I think most people don't care, but the point I think is that there is a perception that within the football circle there would be those that wouldn't be supportive, so people feel the need to hide themselves. So by showing that footballers don't actually give a f**k, like the rest of us, it should help others be themselves.

Just my hypothesis anyway.

It shouldn't be news, but it is because sadly football is lagging behind the rest of society. It's news in the way that Gareth Thomas (rugby) coming out was. I hope that the trajectory that we're on will mean that eventually it will be a non-issue, in the way that it is (isn't) in women's football. I'm proud though that yet-again our club is showing itself to be progressive and inclusive. Kitman Forbsey just posted a lovely supportive tweet to Hugo and the club have done things like mark pride days etc with appropriate tweets. Long may it continue. But yes - he came out ages ago.

I think that whilst it still makes newspaper headlines that someone in football has come out as gay, it will never be 'normal'. What needs to happen is a player comes out to his peers, maybe announces it on social media if he feels he has to, and then it doesn't make it national news and back pages. We try and say 'oh why hasn't a player come out yet it's 2017' but then we still get pandemonium on Twitter when there's a rumour of an 'exclusive' story about a gay footballer about to be revealed (which of course has so far ended up never happening). Well done to Hugo for discussing how footballers are just normal human beings, most will be perfectly accepting, like most people are in this day and age (not all, of course), plus he seems an extremely popular figure at the club.

The world of sport must be having a quiet day for a national to dig that up and deem it worthy of printing.

The club obviously don't care, and for Saints fans he is a bit of a cult figure of the folks behind the scenes thanks to the Barry Gayle skits, and a main part of this seasons Kit launch so UA don't give a tinkers cuss either.

As has been said already, who cares!

I think most people don't care, but the point I think is that there is a perception that within the football circle there would be those that wouldn't be supportive, so people feel the need to hide themselves. So by showing that footballers don't actually give a f**k, like the rest of us, it should help others be themselves.

and a good one.

Perfectly put.

Good luck to Hugo, hopefully this may help give a footballer the courage to come out as well.

I think that whilst it still makes newspaper headlines that someone in football has come out as gay, it will never be 'normal'. What needs to happen is a player comes out to his peers, maybe announces it on social media if he feels he has to, and then it doesn't make it national news and back pages. We try and say 'oh why hasn't a player come out yet it's 2017' but then we still get pandemonium on Twitter when there's a rumour of an 'exclusive' story about a gay footballer about to be revealed (which of course has so far ended up never happening). Well done to Hugo for discussing how footballers are just normal human beings, most will be perfectly accepting, like most people are in this day and age (not all, of course), plus he seems an extremely popular figure at the club.

if only society could just learn not to victimise others for being different or abnormal instead of trying to normalise each and every difference or abnormality.

if only society could just learn not to victimise others for being different or abnormal instead of trying to normalise each and every difference or abnormality.

You'll never get a perfect society, but I think most do. But media clamour over someone's 'difference' maintains its abnormality. Also, maybe i'm being naive, but i think you'll find a very small portion of people in our society that are genuinely racist, or homophobic, or xenophobic etc., like actual hatred.

This is news because?

I'm not really interested in this blokes sexual preference. Why all the fuss about gays "coming out". Chubby chasers or blokes that like older birds don't do it. Who cares? Is it some sort of attention seeking? We had a bloke at work who made a big fuss & announcement, but when everybody just shrugged their shoulders & carried on working normally,he got all upset. I don't go round telling my work colleagues about my sexual preferences and I don't want to hear about anyone else's, whether gay, straight or both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is news because?

I'm not really interested in this blokes sexual preference. Why all the fuss about gays "coming out". Chubby chasers or blokes that like older birds don't do it. Who cares? Is it some sort of attention seeking? We had a bloke at work who made a big fuss & announcement, but when everybody just shrugged their shoulders & carried on working normally,he got all upset. I don't go round telling my work colleagues about my sexual preferences and I don't want to hear about anyone else's, whether gay, straight or both

I think you are confusing sexual preference with sexual orientation here - I don't think Hugo is saying which time of man he goes for is he?

Maybe a shame that Hugo has to 'come out' as a narrative form, but in the closeted world of football it is definitely newsworthy and also to be celebrated.

When someone refers to 'gays' and them making a 'big fuss' or 'attention seeking' about it you also repeat a few lazy stereotypes, and hint at the problems that they have to overcome in telling people in the first place.

I think you are confusing sexual preference with sexual orientation here - I don't think Hugo is saying which time of man he goes for is he?

Maybe a shame that Hugo has to 'come out' as a narrative form, but in the closeted world of football it is definitely newsworthy and also to be celebrated.

When someone refers to 'gays' and them making a 'big fuss' or 'attention seeking' about it you also repeat a few lazy stereotypes, and hint at the problems that they have to overcome in telling people in the first place.

*type

I think you are confusing sexual preference with sexual orientation here - I don't think Hugo is saying which type of man he goes for is he?

Totally agree.

There is a huge difference between 'not minding' what someone's sexuality is and 'not caring' when a friend or work colleague chooses to come out.

Surprised he needed to come out tbh. Was pretty damn obvious to most?

Anyway, who cares? People who make a big deal out of this are directly contributing to social stigmas.

Totally agree.

There is a huge difference between 'not minding' what someone's sexuality is and 'not caring' when a friend or work colleague chooses to come out.

Tbf I have same fk off I'm not interested attitude when work colleague announces they're getting married, or having baby, or moving house, or doing London Marathon, or turning 40, or their daughter got in to Oxford, or they went to see Dunkirk last night, or their grandma died, or they're building a garden shed, or they're leaving to get new job cos everyone here is a miserable selfish ****, or whatever else they've got going on in their dumb fkn lives.

Tbf I have same fk off I'm not interested attitude when work colleague announces they're getting married, or having baby, or moving house, or doing London Marathon, or turning 40, or their daughter got in to Oxford, or they went to see Dunkirk last night, or their grandma died, or they're building a garden shed, or they're leaving to get new job cos everyone here is a miserable selfish ****, or whatever else they've got going on in their dumb fkn lives.

Good Bear, good Bear.

Brilliant

I've noticed loads of women sportsmen are openly 'Gay' and it never seems to cause any issues. Why the difference with men?
From experience women who are attracted to other women get a much easier ride in society, exactly why I am still somewhat unsure, maybe because straight men enjoy the perceived challenge of "turning them" two women hold hands in public noone bats an eyelid, two men do the same & they get ridiculed & often threatened with violence, think how many couples take such a simple act as holding hands in public for granted, something two guys can never do without the fear of repircusions.... It's a strange world but improving all the time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Anyway, who cares? People who make a big deal out of this are directly contributing to social stigmas.

I think you and others are misunderstanding the issue here. Being gay shouldn't be a big deal but it still is in some sections of society. Professional football is undeniably one of them, given there are vanishingly few who feel comfortable coming out yet. Celebrating those who put their heads above the parapet is a way of showing acceptance, which will help others do the same. In time, when gay footballers are open and comfortable about their identity, then it won't be treated as an issue. That seems quite right to me.

Even if it's not in an area like football - Lord Duckhunter's workplace, for example - coming out can still feel like a big moment for someone who's bottled it up for a long time. It comes with all sorts of feelings. I can understand why others may not feel the need to bring out the party hats but it's not something us straight people can ever fully understand. This is an almost universal experience for gay people, so it's not done for nothing.

This, 100%. It's just them virtue signalling.

What does that mean and how is Hugo doing it?

Please. You'll be telling us that woman deserved to be run over and killed by a fascist because she was protesting.

Please. You'll be telling us that woman deserved to be run over and killed by a fascist because she was protesting.

How on earth can you reach that conclusion from what was written. What he claimed & was 100% right about, is that people who make a big fuss about guys coming out, who say "isn't it wonderful" are marking gays out as different. If Shane Long did an interview admitting he fancied birds with big knockers nobody would bat an eyelid (except a few lefties & wimmin lib 9 pinters). If JWP came out the closet, the virtue signallers are actually the ones who will make it "different" than a heterosexual saying he likes chicks

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

If Shane Long did an interview admitting he fancied birds with big knockers nobody would bat an eyelid (except a few lefties & wimmin lib 9 pinters) whereas if JWP came out the closet, the virtue signallers are actually the ones who will make it "different" than a heterosexual saying he likes chicks

Nobody will have to 'make' it different. It's different because football is still very much a macho world in which litterally any guy will admit they fancy birds with big knockers (even if in reality they don't), and litterally none will admit they're gay. That's not because they're afraid to be 'normal'. Everyone wants to live how they want to live and love how they want to love, without making it a huge statement. They won't admit it out of justified fear that they'll receive a ton of abuse from teammates, coaches and crowds. Times are changing, and the signs are hopeful. But to claim it'll only be 'virtue signallers' making them feel different sounds naive.

Adrian, you say that the "retarded comment" is the typical reason for gay pride, but in this day and age, do gay people really cop a lot of shît? While I understand the footballing world might be different, with lots of men in a small changing room, I thought (maybe naively) that the outside world had moved on.

Now, I am going to take you to task a little. In your taking Duckie to task on his unenlightened views, you yourself have come out with a somewhat ignorant comment (due to flippancy) that has no place in modern society. This "retarded" business has no place now (or ever) - retards make retarded comments. FWIW my kid is retarded with a deletion in his 15th chromosome (hence my user name).

Adrian, you say that the "retarded comment" is the typical reason for gay pride, but in this day and age, do gay people really cop a lot of shît? While I understand the footballing world might be different, with lots of men in a small changing room, I thought (maybe naively) that the outside world had moved on.

We've certainly made a lot of progress, but nobody flipped a switch which lifted the psychological burden on gay people. It takes time for people to process their fears and emotions, particularly in environments like football, where people keep quiet.

Duckhunter, there's a place for celebrating difference in spheres of society which continue to stigmatise it. If your only choice is attacking gay people or saying nothing about it at all, what's going to change?

I'd ask again what virtue signalling means in relation to our man Hugo.

Now, I am going to take you to task a little. In your taking Duckie to task on his unenlightened views, you yourself have come out with a somewhat ignorant comment (due to flippancy) that has no place in modern society. This "retarded" business has no place now (or ever) - retards make retarded comments. FWIW my kid is retarded with a deletion in his 15th chromosome (hence my user name).

For me this is so commonplace in our society. People championing one cause because of freedom of choice & freedom of speech etc., but belittling others whilst doing it. Like how people will slaughter Trump for being negative towards a section of society, but say they want him to be assassinated. Tyson Fury, declared he didn't believe in homosexuality because he follows the teachings of the bible, received comments like "its disgusting that you think homosexuality is a sin, you're so ignorant, you dirty gypsy ****". We're all a bunch of hypocrites really.

* Disclaimer: Just because I oppose some of the treatment of Donald Trump and Tyson Fury does not mean I am a fan of either, just not a fan of selective treatment.

Are you kidding. We live in a highly interconnected world and many countries will still imprison or even kill you for being gay. The rise of the right wingers in more liberal countries is also of high concern as they tend to be much more predisposed to extreme homophobia.

No not kidding. I'm not talking about what happens in a country that follows some religious tenet that advocates killing homosexuals. I'm talking about this country. As for right wingers being more predisposed to extreme homophobia, I would actually look more closely at those in this country whose codified tenets condone the killing of homosexuals.

Edited by angelman

Not sure it was worth rational explanation to such a retarded comment really. Could have predicted his comment on this thread before I even read it. Amazing level of stupidity that the likes of him moan about it being a big deal, without realising they're the exact reason it's a big deal.

Lord Duckhunter and co are the reason there's a gay pride and will be for some time yet. So thanks, it's fun.

So the reason there's gay pride is because people like me want gay people treated exactly the same way as straight people. Want nobody to give a flying **** whether someone is gay or not and wants the process of "coming out" obsolete. If everybody was like me, it wouldn't be considered "brave" to tell people you prefer meat & 2 veg to a chick, it would be considered boring.

Feel free to continue to denigrate people like me, because it gives you an opportunity to signal your virtue. But I don't need to parade my pro gay credentials by marching or having pride, I just treat them the same as straight blokes

Perhaps you should look in the mirror as your "retarded" statement will be offensive to some.

Ok, I’ll bite. ...that’s what he said etc etc :p

Yes, football is shockingly behind the times in LGBT+ tolerance as well as tolerance of many other things (the idea of accepting female medical staff seems pretty cutting edge to most clubs and women aren’t even a minority group).

But, equally, the simple fact is most people are straight, are able-bodied, have no problem with their 15th chromosome etc etc, and therefore most people tend to instinctively assume everyone else is like them.

This needn’t be because they are prejudiced in any way. It’s just down to a lack of forethought or awareness. As a result, many well-meaning, tolerant people inadvertently use phrases like ‘that’s a bit gay’, ‘your argument is retarded’ etc.

This is why it’s very helpful if people are open about their sexuality, explain about their children’s health issues etc. It raises understanding and awareness and helps people avoid inadvertently saying or doing something that could cause offense, misunderstanding or exclusion.

In a backward environment like football where men are role-models for kids, the benefits of a man from that world coming out is even more helpful.

I’ve generally worked in pretty open and tolerant workplaces, but people tend to assume I’m straight. This doesn’t offend me at all, but telling colleagues I’m gay just saves me having to pretend to join in the ‘what mark out of 10 would you give that new girl in HR’ type conversations (which often occur along with the blokey football conversations I enjoy).

Yes, there are some ‘political correctness gone mad’ types who actively seek out opportunities to take offence at the slightest thing (man hole cover etc), but they’re just ‘being a bit gay’ ;)

Now, I am going to take you to task a little. In your taking Duckie to task on his unenlightened views.

Please explain which of my views are "unenlightened". I treat gay people the same as straight ones, so maybe it's the view that men shouldn't need to "come out", maybe the view I've expressed, that I don't care one way or the other. I don't care what floats straight people's boats and I don't care what floats gay folks boats. If that's unenlightened than political correctness has gone mad.

I sometimes drink in a pub run by gays,because the owner & his husband keep a damn good pint. They didn't tell me they were gay when I first walked in, it's never been discussed , just like I don't discuss the landlords sexual preferences in a straight bar. It's just a pub,and I act like I do in any other pub. We talk about football, bands, holidays. I don't feel the need to tell other customers I'm straight,and they don't feel the need to tell me whether they're gay or not.If a customer said "I'm gay" to me, I'd say "I'm not interested mate", just the same response I'd give if they said they were straight. Wouldn't that be better if everyone was like that?

To try and portray me as some sort of homophobic dinosaur is insulting and false.

I treat gay people the same as straight ones, so maybe it's the view that men shouldn't need to "come out", maybe the view I've expressed, that I don't care one way or the other.

And it'd be fantastic if everyone would feel this way. But the reality is that we're not there yet by a long shot. My sister is still afraid to walk hand in hand with her wife in public, for the abuse they get when they do. Even gay couples in Amsterdam, city of tolerance, still get beaten up on a regular basis.

Saying that there's no difference is comparable to saying 'All lives matter' instead of 'Black lives matter': obviously true, but also obviously missing the point.