CB Situation

Dusic

Potentially when the window shuts we could have 6 first team CBs:

VVD - if he stays and somehow reintegrates (I'm not so sure...) then you have to assume he plays every game and is frst choice.

Hoedt - if he signs would imagine he competes for the second starting spot with Stephens and Yoshida. Adds height but Lazio fans on social media seem to think he is a little slow for the PL and ultimately that fee for a 3rd choice CB was good business.

Stephens - Lots of potential, needs games and has earned a chance. Would benefit from playing alongside a more dominant player in the air than Yoshida. IMO will start most weeks this season.

Yoshida - reliable 3rd choice for many seasons and IMO that is what he should still be for us. Less than a year left on contract so will be interesting to see what happens.

Gardos - got to be looking to shift, even if on loan as contract ends at end of season. Unlikely to make 25 man squad if VVD stays.

Bednarek - not commenting on abilities as havent seen enough but seems an odd signing, especially if VVD stays and Hoedt joins. Will likely be 5th choice if the above happens. U23 regular or loaned out to the Championship maybe? Certainly hard to see him get games even in cups if we keep the main four.

Then there is Alfie Jones who the club seems to rate and yet would be 7th choice as it stands.

Hope VVD stays but if he does and we sig Hoedt then surely Gardos goes and Bednarek is loaned out? Even then one player who is used to starting would suddenly be a 4th choice which is hard to imagine...

Potentially when the window shuts we could have 6 first team CBs:

VVD - if he stays and somehow reintegrates (I'm not so sure...) then you have to assume he plays every game and is frst choice.

Hoedt - if he signs would imagine he competes for the second starting spot with Stephens and Yoshida. Adds height but Lazio fans on social media seem to think he is a little slow for the PL and ultimately that fee for a 3rd choice CB was good business.

Stephens - Lots of potential, needs games and has earned a chance. Would benefit from playing alongside a more dominant player in the air than Yoshida. IMO will start most weeks this season.

Yoshida - reliable 3rd choice for many seasons and IMO that is what he should still be for us. Less than a year left on contract so will be interesting to see what happens.

Gardos - got to be looking to shift, even if on loan as contract ends at end of season. Unlikely to make 25 man squad if VVD stays.

Bednarek - not commenting on abilities as havent seen enough but seems an odd signing, especially if VVD stays and Hoedt joins. Will likely be 5th choice if the above happens. U23 regular or loaned out to the Championship maybe? Certainly hard to see him get games even in cups if we keep the main four.

Then there is Alfie Jones who the club seems to rate and yet would be 7th choice as it stands.

Hope VVD stays but if he does and we sig Hoedt then surely Gardos goes and Bednarek is loaned out? Even then one player who is used to starting would suddenly be a 4th choice which is hard to imagine...

VVD is staying, have you not grasped that yet

Stephens played well as did Yoshi at times but both missed picking up Abrahams early on, neither can mark very well and we need a better choice CB partnership if we want to finish 7th or 8th and have a good cup run.

I think Stephens would be a great DM to be honest.

I just see Hoedt as good succession planning for when VvD does leave next summer, a bit like when we signed Romeu when we knew Wanyama was on his way out.

Bednarek will likely feature in the u23's this season - I don't think that much would be expected of them this year by the way the likes of Les and Ralph have spoke about him as a young player with potential.

Gardos is clearly well down the pecking order and will likely be moved on if we can find a taker.

I think we'll probably offer Maya an extension, which means next summer we'll have Hoedt/Stephens/Maya/Bednarek as senior CB's which is decent depth and means we can absorb the loss of VvD pretty seamlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't really see under what circumstances he'd leave. Who would want to sign him? - he's barely played in three years. He'd have to agree personal terms too - and I can't see anyone meeting the wage we're likely to be paying him.

A championship club might take a punt and take him on loan, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

VVD is staying, have you not grasped that yet
Considering the severed relationship between club and player at this point, It would be stupid to decline a £70mil offer from Chelsea, City or Barcelona.

I am pretty confident they wont sell to Liverpool under any circumstance.

Thanks... :rolleyes: but not as silly as you look regarding Bertrand :D

Nope that was a fact, at the time of the post, Bertrand wanted out as did Long, Cedric, Virgil and Jay.

Had Puel stayed, all 4 would have been more vocal in their desire to leave, as it happens the manger went and we appear to have put our foot down and prevented anyone, who we don't want to leave, leaving. Which you have to credit the board for.

If Hoedt signs then the Bednarek signing does seem a little strange to me. No harm in overloading in this position, or any come to that, so long as there is quality as well as quantity.

He'll take Yoshi's place when we let him go, and spend this year in the U23s, I reckon.

Interesting comments from Pellegrino when asked about the need for another CB signing.

Effectively said he has made some decisions and its an area he thinks we need better options and can't wait because of competition.

Sounded to me like either, or a combination of, not being overly impressed with the CBs we have and not being overly patient in waiting for VVD to suddenly decide to play.

http://sfcne.ws/Press2170817

Nope that was a fact, at the time of the post, Bertrand wanted out as did Long, Cedric, Virgil and Jay.

Had Puel stayed, all 4 would have been more vocal in their desire to leave, as it happens the manger went and we appear to have put our foot down and prevented anyone, who we don't want to leave, leaving. Which you have to credit the board for.

Backtracking, you said he was definitely off...... Silly chap

Correct but add Tadic to that. Thank the manager and Reed for them all staying.

If Hoedt signs then the Bednarek signing does seem a little strange to me. No harm in overloading in this position, or any come to that, so long as there is quality as well as quantity.

It makes me wonder if we're planning on going 3 at the back again, which could see us play 2 up top (we've been calling for Austin and Gabbi).

First choice would like be VVD and Hoedt or Stephens, but Hoedt and Stephens would be my second choice if VVD leaves.

Out of interest, does anyone think we'll eventually start to play around with the possibility of going 3-4-3 like other teams have done this season?

Forster

Stephens - VVD - Hoedt

Cedric - Romeu - Lemina - Bertrand

Redmond - Gabbiadini - Tadic

First choice would like be VVD and Hoedt or Stephens, but Hoedt and Stephens would be my second choice if VVD leaves.

Out of interest, does anyone think we'll eventually start to play around with the possibility of going 3-4-3 like other teams have done this season?

Forster

Stephens - VVD - Hoedt

Cedric - Romeu - Lemina - Bertrand

Redmond - Gabbiadini - Tadic

Or possibly

Forster

Stephens-VVD-Hoedt

Cedric-JWP-Romeu-Lemina Betrand

Gabbiadini-Austin

Gardos seems nowhere near any team, hasn't played in either U23 game yet and did he play any of the friendlies? I suspect he might our Winston Bogarde and we'll only get rid of him when his contract expires.

Basically we have 4 first team defenders really, Hoedt, Yoshida, Stephens and Bednerak.

VVD is in the wilderness at the moment, once the window shuts he still has to be re-integrated into the team and get match fit so that could take a while. Then in reality he's only here for another year.

• 2 months later...

Gardos situation is bizarre. He will obviously be released at the end of the season and it will be interesting to see if he signs for anyone or just gives it up - he looked awful in the pre season games and hasnt really played for the entire four years of his contract.

Bednarek also wasting his time at the moment. Playing U23 games won't help his development. If we don't find him a loan move in January then we will have not done right by him.

To have 6 'senior' CBs on the books and only 3 strikers and 3 attacking midfielders is quite odd.

Yeah - was weird this summer, guess we were covering all bases half expecting a last min big bid from someone for VVD. Bednarek I never understood. Stephens seemed to fill that "4th choice" upcoming centre back role, unless maybe we half expected Yoshida to go.

Guessing we were trying to get rid of Gardos but people wont pay his wages. Isn't he nearly 30 now!?

Yeah - was weird this summer, guess we were covering all bases half expecting a last min big bid from someone for VVD. Bednarek I never understood. Stephens seemed to fill that "4th choice" upcoming centre back role, unless maybe we half expected Yoshida to go.

Guessing we were trying to get rid of Gardos but people wont pay his wages. Isn't he nearly 30 now!?

Indeed he is.

We really aren't very good at selling players we don't want.

Wow, didn't realise he was already at his 'peak'. I assumed he was 24 or something.

Looking at the stats, it's not been a great move for him (well, maybe financially).

One cup app in the last two and a third seasons - the tonking by Arsenal before we went to Swansea and capitulated.. (remember that, all you 'Puel was great' revisionists?)