Wesley Hoedt

St Chalet

http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-see-bid-wesley-hoedt-finally-accepted-defender-wave-goodbye-club/

After a few doubts earlier today about the possibility of Wesley Hoedt signing for Southampton, it seems the Dutch centre-back has been given the green light to team up with Virgil Van Dijk at St Mary’s.

Seemingly brought in to partner the former Celtic star, the 23-year-old was having to wait for a meeting to take place between Lazio and his agency, but that appears to have gone well.

According to TuttoMercatoWeb, Southampton’s offer of €17m bonuses included has been accepted by the Serie A side, and the player is said to be ‘about to wave goodbye’ to his current side.

The Italian website report Hoedt will sign a four-year deal that includes ‘big numbers’ with the Saints, hinting at a rather impressive pay rise from his Lazio contract.

Considering the Serie A outfit got the centre-back on a free from AZ Alkmaar two years ago, a €17m profit ends up being a tidy deal for a club looking to raise €30m before the end of the transfer window.

That article says 4 year deal, could this be the first side affect of our stance with VVD? ie no player will want to sign for 5 years as it hands us too much power.

4 years is pretty common for an initial contract. It's not worryingly short, is it? It's what Mane and Clyne signed (and probably a host of others), for example.

So, no.

4 years is pretty common for an initial contract. It's not worryingly short, is it? It's what Mane and Clyne signed (and probably a host of others), for example.

So, no.

Understood but didn't Lemina sign for 5 years? I thought that was part of our new way of doing things was so that we don't end up in the position where we have to sell someone like Mane quite as soon.

I see the point of giving out a 4 year contract, that getting him to extend it if he proves successful, let's just hope he doesn't look at the VVD situation before deciding.

That article says 4 year deal, could this be the first side affect of our stance with VVD? ie no player will want to sign for 5 years as it hands us too much power.

Just means that we won't have to change both CBs the same year, we can move Hoedt on a year earlier than van Dijk.

:p

Sounds about right. Lazio wanted Clasie (they have lost Biglia), so wouldn't be surprised to see him sold or loaned out as part of the Hoedt deal.

Thought they replaced Biglia with Lucas?

Makes sense though as Jordy's been linked with Lazio every year he's been here.

What's your opinion of Hoedt, Dutchie?

To be honest I probably don't know a whole lot more than you do. He played for AZ in the Netherlands and I don't follow that club specifically, so I only saw him in the highlight and defenders usually don't get a lot of attention in those. I've seen him play a few time for the Dutch team, and he seemed solid enough without standing out.

To be honest I probably don't know a whole lot more than you do. He played for AZ in the Netherlands and I don't follow that club specifically, so I only saw him in the highlight and defenders usually don't get a lot of attention in those. I've seen him play a few time for the Dutch team, and he seemed solid enough without standing out.

Cheers mate. What's interesting is we were 1st linked to both him & Lemina in the same season 2 or 3 years ago. So obviously both been on the radar for a while.

As he is know in the dressing room as not so.

Feel free to edit into a readable sentence!

I like how even the edited version is gibberish.

Well... I came on here looking for news that we have signed Hoedt but just found Toomer's bizarre comment about 'not so'. Maybe we should have a sweepstake as to its real meaning? I would guess at him implying rather scandalously that Biglia is known to his team mates as 'not so biglia' but I'm probably miles off and the actual meaning is instead something to do with Clasie not speaking in a Geordie dialect!

Been a while (thankfully for some lol) but we are not getting Hoedt or anyone in the next two weeks.

Wish I was wrong.

And mega concerned about our new owners.

See you laters.

Your last post was 10 days ago, it's not like you've been on some decade long ITK sabbatical

Well done though, this has all the hallmarks of a classic ITK post;

Limited actual info TICK

No mention of source TICK

Late night TICK

"Wish I was wrong" reverse psychology TICK

Odd suggestion that your posts are somehow endangered TICK

Mic drop ending TICK

10/10

Your last post was 10 days ago, it's not like you've been on some decade long ITK sabbatical

Well done though, this has all the hallmarks of a classic ITK post;

Limited actual info TICK

No mention of source TICK

Late night TICK

"Wish I was wrong" reverse psychology TICK

Odd suggestion that your posts are somehow endangered TICK

Mic drop ending TICK

10/10

That sums that one up perfectly! :lol:

Been a while (thankfully for some lol) but we are not getting Hoedt or anyone in the next two weeks.

Wish I was wrong.

And mega concerned about our new owners.

See you laters.

Your ITK credentials (if you even had any in the first place) won't last for long seeing as Hoedt is done. What a pointless post