Wesley Hoedt

St Chalet

Is Hoedt actually worse than Vestergaard?

Not for me. Hoedt is average, Vestergaard is shocking. But then there's the attitude, Hoedt comes across as an idiot. I suspect management could live with that if he was brilliant, but it's not worth it for someone of his ability.

As a player, I rate Hoedt slightly higher than Stephens, who as far as Saints is concerned is the lesser of six evils. With hindsight and going purely by their respective abilities, Vest was a pointless signing. Basically, Hoedt apparently being a complete helmet has cost the club £17m. Oh well.

Not for me. Hoedt is average, Vestergaard is shocking. But then there's the attitude, Hoedt comes across as an idiot. I suspect management could live with that if he was brilliant, but it's not worth it for someone of his ability.

Reverse for me, Hoedt is shocking and Vestergaard is average. Least Vestergaard has scored in the right end for us, not to mention Hoedt with two own goals. Just need to cancel his contract and let him leave on a free because nobody will be paying for him

Interview with Hoedt (in Dutch) about the fact he is training with AZ Alkmaar to keep fit and his time with Royal Antwerp. In the final sentence he says he doesn’t want to be loaned again and wants a permanent move this summer.

https://m.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=371963

As long as he is willing to take a significant pay cut for the last year of his deal for that to happen, then can't see any reason why the club would hold him back. They won't get much of/any fee, a bit like when Austin went to WBA although there might be some top ups if they are promoted at some stage. Mind you, Austin didn't cost £17m and probably Lazio haven't been paid all of it yet.

Les Reed really is/was a clueless imbecile. Proper checks on players' attitudes - yeah right. Good job he hasn't been appointed as the Technical Director of the FA or any other high profile national-level role like that...

Glad Rangers took the wee version of Les Reed back north of the border with them too.

Reverse for me, Hoedt is shocking and Vestergaard is average. Least Vestergaard has scored in the right end for us, not to mention Hoedt with two own goals. Just need to cancel his contract and let him leave on a free because nobody will be paying for him

Employment law is not that simple. We'd either have to pay his wages in full up front to cover the rest of his contract, or make him an offer of compensation for loss of office. The power is still with him. Just because we want him to leave doesn't mean we have simply tell him that and expect him to tug his forelock and leave quietly.

Employment law is not that simple. We'd either have to pay his wages in full up front to cover the rest of his contract, or make him an offer of compensation for loss of office. The power is still with him. Just because we want him to leave doesn't mean we have simply tell him that and expect him to tug his forelock and leave quietly.

What will probably happen is if he wants to move to the Dutch League, their maximum wage is probably £15-30k (probably the latter figure only at Ajax these days) and fee range £4-8m for a defender. So Saints would have to take some of the £40k a week out of what they'd get from a fee (say he's on £60k a week and say AZ or Groningen pay him £20k per week) they'd have hoped to get. Wesley would be signing a 3 year deal there say, and only has one left with us so that would cover some of it.

In terms of UEFA rules, you are right, but I don't think he's going to want to sit around for another year, potentially only with the U23s and not even on loan, on top of this lockdown. So he and his agent are going to need to compromise a bit as well. I think they will.

Forster is far more a concern for me. 2 years left still of the new contract that fool now at the FA gave him and he's allegedly on far more than Hoedt. Whether Celtic and Saints can agree something on a permanent move remains to be seen. Fraser will need a take a serious haircut on his contract if he does want to go back there long-term even with Saints paying a portion.

Hoedt, Forster, Elyounoussi, Carrillo, Lemina, that's some serious wedge tied up with that little crowd. Vestergaard and Che Adams (hopefully he'll improve if given the opportunity) will add to the financial haemorrhage if it's decided to discard with their services.

"‘It’s unrealistic’: Southampton man fears £7m price-tag will ruin his dream move"

What did we pay for him?

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/05/19/its-unrealistic-southampton-man-fears-7m-price-tag-will-ruin-his-dream-move/

This article is poorly translated/quoted. The link they use in this article, referring to an interview with Belgium newspaper Nieuwsblad, Hoedt simply says that Antwerp won’t pay our asking price. He says nothing about a dream move to Antwerp.

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Player wants to leave Southampton ‘permanently’ – Says there’s ‘enough interest’, but can’t name teams: http://sportwitness.co.uk/leave-permanently-player-wants-southampton-exit-this-summer-says-theres-enough-interest/

Sir Wesley has spoken.

Quite funny actually, the article pretty much mocks him, both with the headline and the parting sentence.  Methinks Mr Hoedt needs to lower his sights somewhat....!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Send him to Portsmouth, although he'd struggle at that level too I imagine.

We certainly didn't 'study' the 'personality' of this guy when we signed him did we? Another Ross special.

He’s like: “Yeah, there’s enough interest” —but he’s also like: “I can’t exclude going back to Antwerp” — So there’s not much interest then :D 

55 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We certainly didn't 'study' the 'personality' of this guy when we signed him did we? Another Ross special.

I'm still convinced we went to Lazio to buy "that Dutch CB of theirs" but instead of coming back with Stefan de Vrij.........

• Haha 1

Just now, View From The Top said:

I'm still convinced we went to Lazio to buy "that Dutch CB of theirs" but instead of coming back with Stefan de Vrij.........

Isn't that known as 'doing a Bobby Robson'?

1 hour ago, Hockey_saint said:

I suppose we signed him as a kid but Lallana has to be up there.....maybe the world's greatest defender(tm) Lovren too.

People misunderstand the lallana thing. He was Ioyal and stuck with us when we in the lower leagues and helped us get back. He was then denied a move which he was promised. He then got the hump which is understandable. 

Completely different scenario to Hoedt. 

55 minutes ago, egg said:

People misunderstand the lallana thing. He was Ioyal and stuck with us when we in the lower leagues and helped us get back. He was then denied a move which he was promised. He then got the hump which is understandable. 

Completely different scenario to Hoedt. 

Probably more to do with the interview where he suggested he could see himself retiring at Southampton. Although I take your point about Lallana and even Lovren being actually very good....Lovren just thought he was better than he actually was.

Edited by Hockey_saint

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

Yes, completely different to Hoedt who is not even a good player, but how can you say Lallana was promised a move and then denied it, hadn't he just signed a long contract?

But that's what gives the club a bigger sell on......  Hey Adam, sign a new 5 year deal with a pay rise.  We'll get to charge more millions if a big club comes in, and you get a big pay rise.  Promise we won't stand in your way, and it'll be good for both of us..........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

His berth at CB alongside Jakobsson is safe in Saints worst ever XI. Unlike Carrillo he actually played in enough games for us to conclude he was truly awful. At least Jakobsson had a decent attitude.

Struggling to think of worse top flight CBs for Saints? Callum Davenport but he only played a small number of games on loan (which admittedly were dreadful). Scott Marshall ditto, quite a small sample but both of those can sit in the bench

4 hours ago, Hockey_saint said:

I suppose we signed him as a kid but Lallana has to be up there.....maybe the world's greatest defender(tm) Lovren too.

Those guys had talent compared to Hoedt though that’s the difference.

Tommy Forecast was a bit of a twat too tbf. Maybe we could come up with a twat XI of ex-saints. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Those guys had talent compared to Hoedt though that’s the difference.

Tommy Forecast was a bit of a twat too tbf. Maybe we could come up with a twat XI of ex-saints. 

For starters gone 3-5-2 as struggled for both full back positions 

Forecast

Hoedt   Caulker   Steve Wood 

ripley   Palmer  Hughes Lemina Euell

Beattie   Austin  

Manager Branfoot 

Edited by Turkish

3 hours ago, View From The Top said:

I don't think so Hoedt seemed to be a typical Saints signing fairly young and a Dutch international

Thought he played OK at the start but he fell away unfortunately

42 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

His berth at CB alongside Jakobsson is safe in Saints worst ever XI. Unlike Carrillo he actually played in enough games for us to conclude he was truly awful. At least Jakobsson had a decent attitude.

Struggling to think of worse top flight CBs for Saints? Callum Davenport but he only played a small number of games on loan (which admittedly were dreadful). Scott Marshall ditto, quite a small sample but both of those can sit in the bench

What about Forren he never actually played but still plays for Norway

1 hour ago, John B said:

What about Forren he never actually played but still plays for Norway

I don't actually think he's a bad player although too slow for Premier League. I saw him play for the reserves and he was alright. Weird transfer that one. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Forecast

Beattie   Austin  

Manager Branfoot 

No space for Nile Ranger? Maybe on the bench...

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Forecast

Beattie   Austin  

Manager Branfoot 

Were Euell And Beattie two hats? I must have missed something there, Beattie especially seems to be well regarded by most who claim to have met him. Caulker I thought had a load of mental health issues affecting him, although that doesn’t mean he wasn’t also a tool.

Nile Ranger up front if you ask me. I think you’d have to include BWP and Dyer for their part in the Southsea nightclub incident too.

John - didn’t include Forren as never played for Saints first team. Bad signing though.

Following on from Turkish’s post, my worst ever top flight Saints XI including wanky Wesley is, in traditional 442

Blayney, S Baker (Rb), L Todd (lb), Hoedt, Jakobsson, Ripley, Lemina, Quashie, D Lee, Speedie and Dixon

Subs - Woods, Bernard, Davenport, Dia, Wood, Marshall, Carrillo, Ely, Johansen, McCann, Bleidelis, Delgado, Chala, Mayuka

Edited by saint1977

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Forecast

Beattie   Austin  

Manager Branfoot 

can you provide a bit of detail relating to your Wood, Ripley, Palmer and Hughes selections please?

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Were Euell And Beattie two hats? I must have missed something there, Beattie especially seems to be well regarded by most who claim to have met him. Caulker I thought had a load of mental health issues affecting him, although that doesn’t mean he wasn’t also a tool.

Nile Ranger up front if you ask me. I think you’d have to include BWP and Dyer for their part in the Southsea nightclub incident too.

I met Beattie twice and he was a cock both times. Deserves his place in Turkish's line up. 

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Forecast

Beattie   Austin  

Manager Branfoot 

Not sure about Beattie and Austin; I know someone who's sister went out with him and said he was an absolute twat, ok, but on the field he was, at times very talented so I think that'd rule him out. Similar to Austin. The rest? Yeah certainly....definitely Four-past. I remember him in Jaks....what an absolutely arsehole.

• 2 weeks later...

Surely this summer Saints will accept any reasonable offer as otherwise will end up like Carillo and Clasie, just being loaned out til his contract is up.

If a club offerwd a guarenteed £3m or £4m then we would be silly to turn that down.

Lemina situation is similar, albeit there is possibly more of a market for him.

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

TBF, I think his "book value" is currently sitting at about £3.5m, so assuming we get rid of him for that, we don't have to recognise a loss for accounting purposes.

Reduced fee is fine & Try & get those wages off the books.  Not sure AZ could afford to pay his wages though.

My expectations for getting rid of the pesky unwanted players is so low that I thought we did a great job last summer in paying off Clasie & selling Austin for £4m.

Edited by SuperSAINT