Wesley Hoedt

St Chalet

Agreed, no issue with VVD today. He was basically the player we've seen since he's been here / classy and comfortable. Him making the game look easy is now being used against him to say he isn't put it on etc.

Raging at his behaviour but he's here and easily our best player. He has to play

Mario Lemina might have something to say about that.

I wasn't totally sure what to make of the 'Van Dijk isn't trying' theory until today. I was in the second row and made a point of watching him when the ball was elsewhere. He still leads the team, motivates people, barks orders and reacts passionately when things don't go right. If he's lost any intensity it's marginal, and he's still got more of it than most.

I wasn't totally sure what to make of the 'Van Dijk isn't trying' theory until today. I was in the second row and made a point of watching him when the ball was elsewhere. He still leads the team, motivates people, barks orders and reacts passionately when things don't go right. If he's lost any intensity it's marginal, and he's still got more of it than most.

Agreed. I noticed in the aftermath to their goal, as we were lining up to kick-off, he gave Hoedt a bollocking but he also gave Davis an earful as well.

Hoedt is a better version of Hooiveld. Nice left foot, wins a high proportion of aerial duels, rather gangly and sometimes steuggles to sort his feet out in time. Tall but not overly powerful.

Good player but as someone else said, closer to Yoshida level than VVD, which is why he wasn't a first choice for Lazio and why we were able to get him.

I'm pretty sure he cut inside onto his right three times in the first half yesterday, getting caught out on the third occasion. I'm not usually a fan of hoof it defending, but if you're the last man, don't chance it unless you have much better close control than the average CB (and haven't done it so many times already that your opponent can read/guess your intention in advance).

I like most of what I've seen of Hoedt so far - wins more challenges than he loses and his distribution is generally excellent over both short and long range. Hopefully cutting out stupid risk taking will be something he adapts to quickly.

He just needs to not do that, to come inside like that was the problem, if he'd gone outside they wouldn't have scored.

But he is a very very good player, remember he is only 23 which is young for a centre-back and he is not used to the league, you can probably get away with that more easily in Italy, so he'll learn, he was very clearly angry with himself for doing it.

But I wouldn't want him to stop trying to play from the back and bringing the ball out as he is very good at it and it helps us recycle possession.

Aside from that error though he rarely seems to get beaten and wins plenty of headers, if he improves he can easily reach VVD level IMO.

Give van Dijk a break. IMHO, he played much better than Hoedt today. A lot of this cr@p about players giving less than 100% is simply in the imagination of fans who are prejudiced against certain players. I remember hearing the same bullsh!t about Mane and Wanyama. As long as he's with us, he desrves our full support and I'm sure he's giving his full effort to every game. You should see how happy he is when we score a goal.

Textbook racism.

Wow, £17million was it? Dropped out of the squad for a youth product. Can understand him being ****ed off in all honesty, he left Lazio where he was in and out the team to come here and...not be in the squad at all.

So he should knuckle down train harder and play better what is it with modern players thinking they have right to just walk into the match day 11.

Hoedt’s omission from Wednesday’s game against Leicester was a tactical decision by Pellegrino. It was not for disciplinary reasons:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/15773925.Hoedt_absence_not_due_to_disciplinary_reasons/

Or.... (puts on cynical hat).... it *could* have been for disciplinary reasons but Pellegrino doesn't want to disclose that for whatever reason.....

Or.... (puts on cynical hat).... it *could* have been for disciplinary reasons but Pellegrino doesn't want to disclose that for whatever reason.....

I wish Footbal managers could say what they really wanted to , I'd love to hear something like " Yeh Wes and Eric had a falling out and Wes dropped him and broke his jaw so Eric won't be around for a few weeks while he heals"

One of our worst buys since promotion. Not because he's a bad player, but because we had capable CB's already. At least we won't need to buy another when we sell VVD for a discounted £35m.

More a bad buy as he seems to be a bit of a plank (if the rumours around his demeanor are correct).

• 3 months later...
take this as proof that the black box is a load of guff

The black box left the building with Paul Mitchell. After a spell at White Hart Lane, it now resides in Leipzig.

Hoedt is to defenders as Carrillo is to strikers: about as big a waste of money as you could possibly find. The millions Les wastes on cr@p mangers pales in comparison to the tens of millions he wastes on cr@p players.

I would never have left Yoshida out, he gives 100% and was captain--and then diitched. What for?Worst sign of mismanagement is that our two club record signings--Boufal and Carillo are on the bench and the other one Hoedt ought to be. Top players sold and money down the drain...recipe for relegation

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...