Wesley Hoedt

St Chalet

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-08-22/wesley-hoedt-signs-for-southampton

“Wesley has proven his talent through his performances for Lazio, as well as the Netherlands, and we believe he can develop even further here at Southampton, alongside his international teammate Virgil van Dijk, as well as the likes of Jack Stephens, Maya Yoshida, Jan Bednarek and Florin Gardos." says Les

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-08-22/wesley-hoedt-signs-for-southampton

“Wesley has proven his talent through his performances for Lazio, as well as the Netherlands, and we believe he can develop even further here at Southampton, alongside his international teammate Virgil van Dijk, as well as the likes of Jack Stephens, Maya Yoshida, Jan Bednarek and Florin Gardos." says Les

I like the firm assertion that he will be playing alongside Virgil. Clear intent.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sounds like he's potentially an awesome signing. Not much more than we paid for VvD either... when you consider the inflation that's occurred since then...

If we can get VvD's head back from wherever it seems to have rolled to, our defence could be looking very strong indeed.

Obviously our stance with VvD is absolutely killing our chances of signing young promising players on long contracts...

Looks good - him and VVD looks like a cracking partnership.

I guess they have to sell this to yoshida as - be 3rd choice and get back to the main 2 choices when VVD leaves next summer.

Depends if Yoshida is offered/accepts a new contract.

----------Forster----------

Cedric Hoedt VVD Bertrand

------Lemina-Romeu------

Redmond--Tadic----Prowse

--------Gabbiadini---------

Bench:

McCarthy

Yoshida

Stephens

Boufal

Austin

Davis

Long

Brb.....

Potentially one of the best back four in the league.

Awesome signing. But im wondering who misses out on a starting place alongside him? I bet itll be stephens as him and wesley is a little too short on experiance. Cant be good for stephens improvement, maybe a loan to a lower midtable pl team could be a good idea in january, as warming the bench and starting only cup games isnt going to help him.

As for vvd i think even after all the hard stances and resistances the club has shown, i think its inevitable that some team is gonna come up with a bid of >60mil£ around deadline day and we'll get rid afterall. And personally i wont shed a tear over him leaving.

------Lemina-Romeu------

Redmond--Tadic----Prowse

Bench:

McCarthy

Yoshida

Stephens

Boufal

Austin

Davis

Long

Brb.....

Would imagine VvD would move over to the right as he's right footed. I believe he can play both sides of CB?

I like how the OS statement says ''Alongside his international team mate, Virgil''

Me too. It's a good statement of intent but won't stop Liverpool's team of TV pundits and their supporters from arguing Hoedt's transfer means VVD is off to them.

Welcome aboard Wesley Hoedt. He looks like an excellent signing to me.

------Lemina-Romeu------

Redmond--Tadic----Prowse

Bench:

McCarthy

Yoshida

Stephens

Boufal

Austin

Davis

Long

Brb.....

Looks really strong. With the likes of Clasie, Hoj and Bednerek not even in the matchday squad.

------Lemina-Romeu------

Redmond--Tadic----Prowse

Bench:

McCarthy

Yoshida

Stephens

Boufal

Austin

Davis

Long

Brb.....

:poundit:

I know nothing of Hoedt other than what I've read, but it seems he adds aerial presence to our defence. A seemingly typical signing for Saints, mid-teens millions price tag, right age, potential, not first choice at a big club. Long may we pick out these gems.

Will he partner VVD? We can only hope but I'd still be massively surprised if we see VVD play for us again. Irrespective of that, Hoedt, Jack, Maya and Bednarek should be enough to see us through a season.

Now over to RAWK to see the Dipper idiots treat Hoedt's arrival like the second coming of Christ... :rolleyes:

I like how the OS statement says ''Alongside his international team mate, Virgil''
Oh yes. Absolutely intentional. You can see they thought of how to crowbar a VVD mention into the press release.

It could have very easily been a vague "great addition to the squad" or "defensive option" but oh no. Fair play we are standing our effing ground here.

Hope that is tongue in cheek [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Of course I was being completely serious when I posted about not being able to sign promising young players on long contracts in a thread about signing a promising young player on a long contract...

------Lemina-Romeu------

Redmond--Tadic----Prowse

Bench:

McCarthy

Yoshida

Stephens

Boufal

Austin

Davis

Long

Brb.....

Never seen jwp play on the left myself.

Never seen jwp play on the left myself.

Hoedt also plays on the left, rather than right. Would allow Virgil to play on right which he did last season when he was playing with Yoshida.

McCarthy, Cedric, Virgil, Wesley, Bertrand, Lemina, Romeu, Tadic, Davis, Redmond, Gabbiadini would presumably be our strongest team (though I guess we would actually play Forster)

Good addition, bringing much needed height and power to the central role. Slight caveat to all the optimism - lets remember he was the 4th choice CB at Lazio at the start of this season and will likely take time to settle. A few comments from their fans that he is quite slow but clearly a beast in the air and good on the ball.

That said, from MP's comments post WH about our inability to defend crosses and direct play, I expect him to start at the weekend. That said, with who?

Awesome signing. But im wondering who misses out on a starting place alongside him? I bet itll be stephens as him and wesley is a little too short on experiance. Cant be good for stephens improvement, maybe a loan to a lower midtable pl team could be a good idea in january, as warming the bench and starting only cup games isnt going to help him.

As for vvd i think even after all the hard stances and resistances the club has shown, i think its inevitable that some team is gonna come up with a bid of >60mil£ around deadline day and we'll get rid afterall. And personally i wont shed a tear over him leaving.

Very happy with the extra strength in depth & balance in terms of aerial ability that Hoedt represents

That said i in no way think Stephens should be shipped out on loan.

If Van Dijk winds his neck in i would very much hope there is open competition for the 2nd slot.

Before then i'd argue if they are good enough they are old enough to play together.

Also Stephens could maybe follow dier's example by multi skilling in the defensive mid role.

With the strength we have at CB (especially if VVD returns) wouldn't be surprised if we go with 3 at the back. Anyone know if MP has used it at previous clubs?

I said this earlier, would mean we can go to two up top and see how Austin/Gabbi work together...however seems a bit less likely with Gallagher out on loan now.

------------------Forster

--------Stephens--VVD--Hoedt

Cedric---------------------------Bertrand

-------------Lemina----Romeu

--------------------JWP

------------Austin-------Gabbi

There is a LOT missing out of that team though...can't see us not using Redmond, Tadic, Davis, Boufal all at the same time.

Honestly think that team would play to our strengths though - and if Bertrand really is going to put in minimal effort, means we can sell him for a nice chunk and use Targett or McQueen in the more advanced role they have performed better in.

Edited by Saint_clark