Ticket Prices at the Dell in the 60s

rpb

No tickets (except for season tickets) - you just turned up and paid cash at the turnstile.

From memory in the late 60's it cost 4/6 to stand on the Milton Road terrace (thats 22 and a half pence). And that was First Division.

Half price for nippers.

Season tickets - no idea. I was an impoverished student.

I used to pay 2 shillings to go in the "boys" at the Archers road. Got two and six for my echo round so i had sixpence for a can of coke and a packet of polos at the match.

Same here. As I recall in the late 60s it was 6d each way into Winch on the bus, 3 bob return to Southampton on the train, 2 bob into the Milton Road and 6d for a programme. Fish and chips upon return to Winch then either bus or walk home if it was an evening match.

When I started going in 1969 the best seats in the ground - West Stand Centre - cost 19 shillings and sixpence. Of course they were all sold as season tickets but that was what you had to pay for a cup game. That was assuming your ticket was 'available for cup games'.

For those of you born many years after these Psychedelic hued days, thinking blimey that's cheap for tickets! In 1969 my Mum and Dad had to move out of Southampton as Dads work was mainly in London, and the M3 didn't exist then, they bought a new 3 bedroom house in north Hampshire for the then princely sum of £6,600. Dad always said it was a risky purchase as the mortgage was only just within his means.

For those of you born many years after these Psychedelic hued days, thinking blimey that's cheap for tickets! In 1969 my Mum and Dad had to move out of Southampton as Dads work was mainly in London, and the M3 didn't exist then, they bought a new 3 bedroom house in north Hampshire for the then princely sum of £6,600. Dad always said it was a risky purchase as the mortgage was only just within his means.

I bought my first house, a 3 bedroomed semi with a fair bit of land in Bishops Sutton (near Alresford) for £4100 in 1970. I should have stayed there!!

I used to pay 2 shillings to go in the "boys" at the Archers road. Got two and six for my echo round so i had sixpence for a can of coke and a packet of polos at the match.

Two and six ? I seem to remember getting 14 bob for the 6 days of Echo round, 15 for the morning paper round and about 7 and 6 for Sundays. Jeez the trade unions of today would have a fit, think I was doing about 30 hours a week and school at the same time.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I expect some members have Programmes from that era and it may state prices in those.

I have many Saints programmes from 1960's through to 2000's. I remember that they used to have programme fairs from time to time - does anyone know whether this still happens as I am looking to sell them ( I need the room!!)

On the subject of programmes , I remember when I first went to The Dell (1969) I'd often have to scrounge a shilling (1/- or 12d as I recall) off my Dad for the programme.

Can't quite believe it when its now £4 or more for the Matchday Magazine. (leaving aside the £2.50 for The Big Issue effort last week).

Can't answer the ticket costs though.

I have many Saints programmes from 1960's through to 2000's. I remember that they used to have programme fairs from time to time - does anyone know whether this still happens as I am looking to sell them ( I need the room!!)

Noticed a programme shop on the walk to the match last week, just up the road from the King Alfred I think. No idea if they buy and sell though, and it did look a bit run down.

Have heard of a bloke in north Hampshire whose family buy and sell old books, he might be pleased to take your Saints programmes off your hands. Think he's in Petersfield.

Two and six ? I seem to remember getting 14 bob for the 6 days of Echo round, 15 for the morning paper round and about 7 and 6 for Sundays. Jeez the trade unions of today would have a fit, think I was doing about 30 hours a week and school at the same time.

I think my morning round earned around 10 shillings at the time so I still had plenty of change from a bus jpurney from Lyndhurst and a 1 shilling entry at the boys turnstile. Happy days.

24th August 1960

As I recollect we played Liverpool on our first year back after promotion from Division 3.

I went in the boys entrance with the right change my Dad had given me only to find that the entrance fee had either increased from 6d (ie 2.5 new pence) to 1/- (ie 5p) ir 1/- to 1/6d(ie 7.5p)

Quite a few lads were turned away as they didnt have the right money.

Fortunately my Dad was a steward at the time and he was able to come to the turnstile and get me.

Sometime after this my Dad used to get me in to the ground free via the main entrance with all the other stewards

This meant me being at the ground by 1pm so had to wait around for 2 hours - no mobiles etc to while away the time but I just enjoyed being there and seeing all the goings on.

Anyone remember the uniformed Master of Arms type who used to front up the entrance to the Dell (I think ex Saint Bill Beaney did the job for a while)

Not what you're asking, but for comparison I still have my 76 Cup Final ticket. Junior, standing - £1.50 !

We paid £6.00 for our Cup Final tickets which seemed extortionate at the time but the seats were up by the Royal Box so hate to think the comparative price nowadays

Noticed a programme shop on the walk to the match last week, just up the road from the King Alfred I think. No idea if they buy and sell though, and it did look a bit run down.

Have heard of a bloke in north Hampshire whose family buy and sell old books, he might be pleased to take your Saints programmes off your hands. Think he's in Petersfield.

It's run by the same people who used to have the Programme shop in the Chapel stand. Extremely friendly people, happy to provide advice and made an effort to source a specific programme I was after (The Saints 8-2 Cov programme from the day after I was born.)

No tickets (except for season tickets) - you just turned up and paid cash at the turnstile.

From memory in the late 60's it cost 4/6 to stand on the Milton Road terrace (thats 22 and a half pence). And that was First Division.

Half price for nippers.

Season tickets - no idea. I was an impoverished student.

Cup games were different, the first time they made a game all-ticket was v Spurs in the FA Cup (I think sometime in the 50s) as there was several thousand locked out of the Dell in the round before, think it was against Forest. To avoid the same shenaningans you had to apply for tickets for the match which (if memory serves from one of the SFC books) something like 70,000 tried. Our record attendance would look a little different today if we could have fitted 'em in!

For cup games they used to isuue vouchers which gave you the right to queue for tickets. The problem was they didn't used to advertise which League matches would be the voucher-issuing ones.

In Division 2 days(70's) it would normally be a midweek game at home to Oldham in February.

I have my Grandfathers season tickets from the 50s and 60s somewhere at home. From memory the price went from £4 to £6.

At some stage in my dark and distant past, I remember there used to be a waiting list for season tickets at the Dell.

At that stage the Dell had a capacity of 30,000 but only about 5-6,000 seats, and the main standing areas behind the goals were uncovered so you got wet in the rain.

Standing under the East & West Stands provided some protection from the elements (unless you were at the front) whereas at the back of the terracing there was a restricted view due to the overhang of the stands.

The Dell was great for memories on the pitch but the facilities were crap.

Memories !!

Queuing nearly all the way around the ground for cup tickets

I remember getting in the dell as close to 12 as we could so us kids could get in the front by the wall of the west stand and

getting squashed by the surge of the crowd after a goal...

Jim Steele coming over the wall and falling on me too.... nice smell of beer on him too :lol:

And later in my time eating the pasties that were always hot on the outside and chilled in the middle but after a few pints, we did`nt care

My old man was a Building society manager in the early 70's. He came Home one day & had a conversation with my mum saying that he thought he'd ****ed up. He'd ok'd a builders mortgage for 17k and was having second thoughts. In those days it was entirely down to him, within certain criteria, and he was on the hook if the bloke defaulted. Of course fast forward 25 years & 17k didn't seem like a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember my first games in 1964 (second division) paying 1 shilling (5p) as a child (although I was 16 then) in the Milton End. I seem to remember that when I bought my first season ticket in about 1973 that it cost about £60.

That's interesting. If you use the Bank of England inflation calculator £60.00 in 1973 would be £665.00 in 2017. £60.00 seems quite a lot in 1973?

Saw my first game in January 1971, just before decimalisation. Adult price was 9 shillings for the East stand. Turnstile operators would let two boys in for the price of an adult, so was four shillings and sixpence.

Was also offered a season ticket for 1975/76, but seem to remember that the price was around £100. Was a lot of money to ask my dad for and had no means of income other than pocket money, so turned it down. So didn't get to go to Wembley

Edwin Jones wasn't it in those days ?

It was very newly Debenhams. It was a very short term job while I waited for my apprenticeship to start.. I just did about one hour of work in the washing machine "warehouse" across the road and sniffed evo stik for the rest of the day. That probably explains my mistake over the price of a Saints match.