• Steven Davis
    • Dusan Tadic
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Manolo Gabbiadini
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Charlie Austin
    • Shane Long
    • Jose Fonte

Well, that's why we go to the football. Proper rollercoaster of emotions that one, we were crap second half. Went back to Puel like slow possession in the second half and invited them back into the game.

From where I was Forster was at fault for their first he looked welded to his line in the minutes leading up to their equaliser. Bertrand and Redmond looked poor and Zabaleta (comfortably West Ham's best player IMO) had the better of them.

Yoshida was excellent I though but he needs someone a bit more physical than JS next to him.

Thought we were good first half, even against 11 we had the upper hand and scored a very good goal. All came from playing with pace and tempo and passing the ball through first time, not doing a few turns and waiting for 18 players to get behind the ball. Who'd have though...

Not that I'm condoning pitch invasions but I did lol at the two Saints mateys at the end, after a handful of their fans invaded following the equaliser.

That was a very entertaining game of football. Everyone in the 31,424 got value for money today, even the West Ham fans. On this evidence Mario Lemina looks a great signing. He can tackle and make incisive forward passes. Our midfield reverted to slow movement and sideways passes when he went off and Ward-Prowse came on. But, the introduction of Charlie Austin saw us home. Yoshida, Romeu, Lemina, Gabbiadini and Austin all played well. Redmond and Long didn't and nor did Ward-Prowse but as people have pointed out, JWP is still young so there is hope. He needs more pace and bravery, however, as he rarely competes 100% for 50/50 balls - the complete opposite of Romeu, who battles for everything and never pulls out of a challenge. Lee Mason showed real guts to award an iffy penalty in the 93rd minute when most refs would have bottled it.

Didn't think we played that well today but fortunately West Ham weren't looking too great either. Dominated the game throughout but still not taking chances and lapses in concentration at the back are costing us big time. Nearly screwed this one up agianst a team we should be finishing above. Hopefully a couple more signing will solve the remaining issues. Should have ran away with it today.

Nice to get off the mark with a win early doors in the season, I must admit after 35mins I thought this was going to be a routine win.

We played well from the off, better use of the football and after a 10-15min settling in period, you could see Lemina's presence out there and our midfield was well on top. We were heading for a 2-0 HT lead, which would have been well deserved on the pattern of the game - but we gave away such a rubbish goal, just on the break. Antonio wasn't closed down and was allowed to shoot, Forster parried and there was the ultimate 6 yard box goal scorer. The game changed on that moment and the 2nd half was now a completely different game.

We started the 2nd half nervy, and allowed West Ham to get a real foothold in the game - you wouldn't have had any idea they had 10 men. We lost control in the middle and our two centre backs were being quite clearly targeted by long balls, as they'd worked out we weren't winning anything in the air today - and low and behold, that's how they got their 2nd. Ball whipped into the box, Sacko rises above everyone and heads towards goal - to be fair, it was a brilliant point blank save by Fraser....but who was following up, mr 6 yard box again....good finish as well. We'd somehow contrived to throw a game away which at 35 mins we were coasting, frustrated was an understatement.

There were periods as the remaining 20 mins went on that you felt they could get a third, they still continued to target us in the air and Yoshida and Stephens were not dealing with anything. Fair play to MPe for bringing on two strikers, that allowed us to stretch the game a little more - JWP played on the right attacking midfield slot and really made an impact I felt (our midfield was tiring, and he added freshness), always looking to get onto the ball, probing, using it well etc. No surprise then that the goal came from his cross into the box, which was a terrific delivery - Yoshida at the back post coming in and for some inexplicable reason (not that I care) the experienced Zabaelta decided to pull him, from where I was it looked like he allowed the ref to make a decision - it was silly defending at that stage of the game. Charlie may not have done a great deal when he came on, but fair play to him for standing up and taking that pen - it was put away with aplomb and all is well in the world again! We got the win we deserved, but not without trying our hardest to throw it away...!

Quick note on a couple of the players - Bertrand was totally off it today, what was up with him? Couldn't keep up with the ball, was lacking pace, kept giving the ball away. He really didn't look quite right, hard to say what was wrong. Redmond, especially in the 2nd half, was frigging garbage - his place in that team is hanging in a balance, we're targeting another wide attacker and we have Boufal on the bench....he should be looking over his shoulder if that's the level he's going to be putting in for us!

Onto the good points......after about 10-15mins adjusting for Lemina, during which he gave some rubbish balls away, he settled down - he started playing a more sensible game. Hard to read a great deal after 60 mins, but he looks very athletic and is a bit of a beast, not afraid to go in for a tackle and does have a bit of an edge as well.....him and Romeu could be quite a partnership. He gives our midfield a lot more of a dynamic aspect. Gabbiadini had a great game I felt, he was making terrific runs all afternoon and was well picked out for the first goal - which was a great finish. He was a threat all afternoon with his running off the ball and it was a promising appearance by him.

Pretty clear that we lack a presence at the back, that's no surprise - hopefully the signing of Hoedt will fill that gap and at least give us some presence in terms of winning the ball, which we severely lacked today. But lots to be positive about from the first two games in my opinion, carrying much more of a threat and the rest of the team is getting up with the attack a lot quicker (well, in the first half anyway...!)

Onto the next one...

MP reaction

really please with the 3 points

it was a difficult game but a good one for the fans

we could not control the game after the 2nd goal

2nd balls in our box and in the challenge they were better than us

we learn from this

the first 25 mins we were very good

we had the chances to score goals, we were good in wide areas

we were good in the counter attack

after the 2nd goal, for some reason, we could not control the ball how we wanted

when strikers score, it is for the team as they cannot do it on their own

strikers complete the teams work

we won against a tough, difficult team

Mario is a player we did not have before, he is strong

he will get better and we will control the 2nd ball

he had to come off as he was not fully fit

it was important we had energy and the fans had energy and this helps the players

you can tell that he was not all that impressed with the win IMO

MP reaction

really please with the 3 points

it was a difficult game but a good one for the fans

we could not control the game after the 2nd goal

2nd balls in our box and in the challenge they were better than us

we learn from this

the first 25 mins we were very good

we had the chances to score goals, we were good in wide areas

we were good in the counter attack

after the 2nd goal, for some reason, we could not control the ball how we wanted

when strikers score, it is for the team as they cannot do it on their own

strikers complete the teams work

we won against a tough, difficult team

Mario is a player we did not have before, he is strong

he will get better and we will control the 2nd ball

he had to come off as he was not fully fit

it was important we had energy and the fans had energy and this helps the players

you can tell that he was not all that impressed with the win IMO

Absolutely what you want to hear. lots of work to do in terms of 2nd balls and winning it in the first place in defense. But it sounds like he's close to sorting part of that with Hoedt anyway...

Certainly made some errors and it's clear we are still a work in progress. Also clear that we need some more aerial presence at the back, Stephens and Yoshida are too similar and not physical enough. Where we miss VVD, but hopefully Hoedt will compensate for that.

Also Tadic continues to be an enigma.

Nice to get off the mark with a win early doors in the season, I must admit after 35mins I thought this was going to be a routine win.

We played well from the off, better use of the football and after a 10-15min settling in period, you could see Lemina's presence out there and our midfield was well on top. We were heading for a 2-0 HT lead, which would have been well deserved on the pattern of the game - but we gave away such a rubbish goal, just on the break. Antonio wasn't closed down and was allowed to shoot, Forster parried and there was the ultimate 6 yard box goal scorer. The game changed on that moment and the 2nd half was now a completely different game.

We started the 2nd half nervy, and allowed West Ham to get a real foothold in the game - you wouldn't have had any idea they had 10 men. We lost control in the middle and our two centre backs were being quite clearly targeted by long balls, as they'd worked out we weren't winning anything in the air today - and low and behold, that's how they got their 2nd. Ball whipped into the box, Sacko rises above everyone and heads towards goal - to be fair, it was a brilliant point blank save by Fraser....but who was following up, mr 6 yard box again....good finish as well. We'd somehow contrived to throw a game away which at 35 mins we were coasting, frustrated was an understatement.

There were periods as the remaining 20 mins went on that you felt they could get a third, they still continued to target us in the air and Yoshida and Stephens were not dealing with anything. Fair play to MPe for bringing on two strikers, that allowed us to stretch the game a little more - JWP played on the right attacking midfield slot and really made an impact I felt (our midfield was tiring, and he added freshness), always looking to get onto the ball, probing, using it well etc. No surprise then that the goal came from his cross into the box, which was a terrific delivery - Yoshida at the back post coming in and for some inexplicable reason (not that I care) the experienced Zabaelta decided to pull him, from where I was it looked like he allowed the ref to make a decision - it was silly defending at that stage of the game. Charlie may not have done a great deal when he came on, but fair play to him for standing up and taking that pen - it was put away with aplomb and all is well in the world again! We got the win we deserved, but not without trying our hardest to throw it away...!

Quick note on a couple of the players - Bertrand was totally off it today, what was up with him? Couldn't keep up with the ball, was lacking pace, kept giving the ball away. He really didn't look quite right, hard to say what was wrong. Redmond, especially in the 2nd half, was frigging garbage - his place in that team is hanging in a balance, we're targeting another wide attacker and we have Boufal on the bench....he should be looking over his shoulder if that's the level he's going to be putting in for us!

Onto the good points......after about 10-15mins adjusting for Lemina, during which he gave some rubbish balls away, he settled down - he started playing a more sensible game. Hard to read a great deal after 60 mins, but he looks very athletic and is a bit of a beast, not afraid to go in for a tackle and does have a bit of an edge as well.....him and Romeu could be quite a partnership. He gives our midfield a lot more of a dynamic aspect. Gabbiadini had a great game I felt, he was making terrific runs all afternoon and was well picked out for the first goal - which was a great finish. He was a threat all afternoon with his running off the ball and it was a promising appearance by him.

Pretty clear that we lack a presence at the back, that's no surprise - hopefully the signing of Hoedt will fill that gap and at least give us some presence in terms of winning the ball, which we severely lacked today. But lots to be positive about from the first two games in my opinion, carrying much more of a threat and the rest of the team is getting up with the attack a lot quicker (well, in the first half anyway...!)

Onto the next one...

Pretty much how I saw things too. I think Lemina will be great for us. For the first time in ages we looked as if we had some presence in midfield alongside Romeu and weren't going to get bullied out of a game as we have on so many occasions previously. It also allowed us to have greater width through the less physical but more skilful players we have. No longer will we give up the midfield to physically bigger teams and allow them to come on to us. Some very optimistic signs.

Pretty much how I saw things too. I think Lemina will be great for us. For the first time in ages we looked as if we had some presence in midfield alongside Romeu and weren't going to get bullied out of a game as we have on so many occasions previously. It also allowed us to have greater width through the less physical but more skilful players we have. No longer will we give up the midfield to physically bigger teams and allow them to come on to us. Some very optimistic signs.
Yep exactly that good post

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Great to win that match... the biggest problem is the lack of height in our team and that Stephens and yoshida are the not greatest in the air. If definitely a weakness that teams will look to exploit. Everytime West Ham put the ball in our box we didn't look at all comfortable.

West Ham's midfield is very soft -hence why they're after carvalho. Don't think you can conclude much from this performance.

Pretty abysmal second half display but my favourite league win since Liverpool 3-2.

Lemina added composure to the midfield, looks a good signing.

Gabbiadini's movement was much better today, like when he had that goalscoring run.

Bertrand's worst ever game for saints, truly shocking. Looks like he wants to go.

4 points out of 6 with Huddersfield next? UTS :):):)

Redmond, Davis, Tadic ( even the penalty) again never looked like scoring. We cannot afford to have only one goal scorer (Gabbiadini) and three recyclers in attacking positions. JWP, Hojbjerg, Clasie and Boufal aren't any better and the two defensive midfielders are not contributing.

Personally I'd prefer Long, Austin and Gabbiadini plus one to be on the pitch at the same time as the current attackers aren't going to get enough goals., besides Austin and Long give us a bit more height defending free kicks and corners. We recycled the ball a lot and at times were slow motion, 66% possession mostly in front of the WHU team. The crosses and shooting were apart from Gabbiadini's shot, hopeless. If we are going to cross like that how about a couple of players on the 45 outside the back post to put the ball back in. Stephens has got to improve his heading, nowhere near good enough yet. Lamina looks a useful addition alongside Romeu.

Redmond, Davis, Tadic ( even the penalty) again never looked like scoring. We cannot afford to have only one goal scorer (Gabbiadini) and three recyclers in attacking positions. JWP, Hojbjerg, Clasie and Boufal aren't any better and the two defensive midfielders are not contributing.

Personally I'd prefer Long, Austin and Gabbiadini plus one to be on the pitch at the same time as the current attackers aren't going to get enough goals., besides Austin and Long give us a bit more height defending free kicks and corners. We recycled the ball a lot and at times were slow motion, 66% possession mostly in front of the WHU team. The crosses and shooting were apart from Gabbiadini's shot, hopeless. If we are going to cross like that how about a couple of players on the 45 outside the back post to put the ball back in. Stephens has got to improve his heading, nowhere near good enough yet. Lamina looks a useful addition alongside Romeu.

Jurassic_Park_logo.jpg

Some utter p****s on here. Blaming forster (who made a very good save) when antonio should not have been allowed to shoot and Bertrand completely switched off.

Still, far easier to blame forster.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

This. Foster made a great save low down to his left and pushed the ball into a regulation safe area for the fullback to deal with except Bertie was asleep on the job. Bertie 100% to blame.

What the f@@k is Bertrands problem? Never looked interested and ran straight off down tunnel as soon as full time was blown.

I would be pretty piddled off if I had a bloody pillock like Redmond in front if me, that waste of space offered feck all........... ah ball into Gabbi and rattle the crossbar, aside from that we were also down to 10 men with that numpties on the pitch, Zabaleta had Redmonds trousers down round his ankles all second half, if I was Boufal I would be throwing my toys out of the pram and knocking in the managers Monday morning.Whats Redmond got dirty pictures of Les watching Red Tube??!!!!

Yes I have had a drink, bit still that boy was a bloody waste of space on the pitch today.................. BBC are a bunch of jokers too: they have Tadic as MOTM? WTF!!!!

I would be pretty piddled off if I had a bloody pillock like Redmond in front if me, that waste of space offered feck all........... ah ball into Gabbi and rattle the crossbar, aside from that we were also down to 10 men with that numpties on the pitch, Zabaleta had Redmonds trousers down round his ankles all second half, if I was Boufal I would be throwing my toys out of the pram and knocking in the managers Monday morning!

I don't think Redmond will get as many chances with MP as he got with Puel last season. That's two matches in a row he has disappointed after a decent start.

I would be pretty piddled off if I had a bloody pillock like Redmond in front if me, that waste of space offered feck all........... ah ball into Gabbi and rattle the crossbar, aside from that we were also down to 10 men with that numpties on the pitch, Zabaleta had Redmonds trousers down round his ankles all second half, if I was Boufal I would be throwing my toys out of the pram and knocking in the managers Monday morning.Whats Redmond got dirty pictures of Les watching Red Tube??!!!!

Yes I have had a drink, bit still that boy was a bloody waste of space on the pitch today.................. BBC are a bunch of jokers too: they have Tadic as MOTM? WTF!!!!

Problem is people complain about our ponderous style of play yet we don't have any other attackers with pace who can beat a man and stretch teams. Both Boufal and Tadic like to slow things down, stand a player up and then beat them. Bringing in another pacey AM or winger would provide some needed competition.

Problem is people complain about our ponderous style of play yet we don't have any other attackers with pace who can beat a man and stretch teams. Both Boufal and Tadic like to slow things down, stand a player up and then beat them. Bringing in another pacey AM or winger would provide some needed competition.

I think that's the target, we seem to be after a bit more pace in the final third. To be honest, Redmond slows things down as well - he's got open ground in front of him, but he so often just slows it down again. Don't seem him attack a full back enough, he should have the pace to at least make a mark..

This is slightly off topic, but does anyone know what happened to the Bill Green thread from earlier today? Apparently our head scout died of a heart attack yesterday, but the thread has seemingly vanished?

Also the players seemed to line up for some sort of silence at the start of the match, then were told not to.

This is slightly off topic, but does anyone know what happened to the Bill Green thread from earlier today? Apparently our head scout died of a heart attack yesterday, but the thread has seemingly vanished?

Also the players seemed to line up for some sort of silence at the start of the match, then were told not to.

I had no idea that it vanished. I posted on it earlier too.

We've played the same two teams as United in our first two games and only have 2 fewer points than them. And yet THEY are being talked of as title favourites. Media bias.

They comfortably won each match 4-0, whilst struggled to even win one game........