Saints 0 Wolves 2 (Carabao Cup)

SuperSAINT

Here we go then. The Giant Banana-skin clash.

They lost today which is their first loss of the season. Will be interesting to see what changes both they (and we make).

Will MP make whole-sale changes? I think he will. There's a fair few players not getting minutes.

A tricky team to predict. I'd expect who doesn't get a game on Wednesday will tell us more about which fringe players might be off.

-------------McCarthy-------------

Pied---Bednarek--Yoshida---McQueen

----------Clasie--Hojbjerg-----------

Long--------JWP---------Boufal

-------------Austin---------------

Don't want to make the final again this year then lol

That's who I think will play.

Bearing in mind that if we're going to attempt to high-press Huddersfield next weekend, I think we'll need to rest a few.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Nope but pied and clasie not good enough for me, wolves are a tough side aswell. Keep momentum going for me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Clasie, chosen to play in the semi-final of a World Cup, but not good enough for the 2nd round of the Milk cup?

can see McCarthy, Hoj, Pied, Targett, Austin, JwP and Boufal starting this...maybe even Long if he is staying

the new lad is bound to get 60 mins also...surely...

edit, Just seen the cut he has on his shin, so probably wont get game time in the week

Edited by Batman

Nope but pied and clasie not good enough for me, wolves are a tough side aswell. Keep momentum going for me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not sure how you can possibly draw any conclusions on Pieds ability as the only times we've seen him he's looked solid if unspectacular (and against much better opposition than Wolves!), as for Clasie the bloke scored away to Arsenal on the way to the final last season you plum.

Don't want to make the final again this year then lol

That team should be good enough to beat a Championship side, especially one that will also likely make lots of changes.

We can get into the semi finals of the league cup before we kick a ball in the FA Cup so it's pretty dopey to have that attitude.

I hope we do take it seriously, but if I had a choice between either the league or FA Cup, it'd be the FA Cup for me Clive all day long.

Wolves were pretty much the toughest game we could have got from the unseeded pot of the draw, they've spent a lot of money and have started the season well but will definitely be prioritising promotion.

Ticket sales are poor so far, saints have opened the whole ground so plenty of good half way line seats available, hopefully after yesterday's win a few more will go, Wolves have sold nearly 1500 so far so there should be a bit of atmosphere with a decent away following.

Yes, my seat will be available as I'll be on my way to Huddersfield via visiting friends and some trout fishing in the dales. Overheard the chat on the Brighton train home last night and no one going, the prospect of extra time and Southern Rail not an attractive thought.

Absolutely need to start Gallagher for this one. Austin on bench, rest Gabbiadini, strong team besides.

Yes we want to have a good run but we also want to get players playing and on form.

McCarthy

Pied Stephens Bednarek Targett

Lemina Hojbjerg

JWP Boufal Redmond

Gallagher

Sam G was one of the players I was referring to when I mentioned about players not being involved on Wednesday might tell us about who might be off.

Clasie is another one.

Absolutely need to start Gallagher for this one. Austin on bench, rest Gabbiadini, strong team besides.

Yes we want to have a good run but we also want to get players playing and on form.

McCarthy

Pied Stephens Bednarek Targett

Lemina Hojbjerg

JWP Boufal Redmond

Gallagher

He is 2nd in the pecking order as striker for league games, wouldn't it make sense to play him from the start in the cup? He'll be a bit miffed if he doesn't start vs Wolves, as will Long.

Austin should start -he's not starting in the league and would benefit from game time. Other than in the heads of fantasists pining for 4-4-2, that's likely to be the case for the foreseeable future.

Ha ha. Its time is coming soon, then all us fantasists will be proven correct! The 4-4-2 with Gabbi and Austin upfront, you watch. The goals will start flying in the net then, you'll need an abacus to keep up.

We know what Austin can do. Gallagher needs game time. Whoever isn't in the first 11 and doesn't stat will be miffed I imagine but I'm going with what I think is best for the team rather than what is best for some egos.

It's best for the team if Austin plays, scores a couple and puts some pressure on Gabbi.

Unless Long leaves Gallagher is fourth choice striker and a run out against Wolves isn't going to change that.

Maybe I will be way off, but I'm thinking that MP won't change much at all. He seems to be one who makes small, incremental changes. We hardly need to rest players, OK we have another game on Saturday, but then a fortnight off. We got used to rotation last season, but to me its more important to develop some understandings in the team. Perhaps put some of the unused players on the bench. Would be good to give McCarthy a game (but then I would like to drop Forster period), maybe McQueen or Targett instead of Bertrand and Boufal instead of Tadic, not much else. Then again maybe he will make 11 changes.

For the record, I would pick:

----------------------------McCarthy---------------------------

Pied-------------Bednarek--Yoshida---------------Targett

-----------------------JWP---------Lemina--------------------

----Long------------------Boufal-------------------McQueen

------------------------------Austin---------------------------------

Sub: Forster, Stephens, Gardos, Davis, PEH, Gallagher, Redmond

Not sure if Lemina's gash can take a pounding so soon. If he can't play than being PEH in and Clasie onto bench.

For the record, I would pick:

----------------------------McCarthy---------------------------

Pied-------------Bednarek--Yoshida---------------Targett

-----------------------JWP---------Lemina--------------------

----Long------------------Boufal-------------------McQueen

------------------------------Austin---------------------------------

Sub: Forster, Stephens, Gardos, Davis, PEH, Gallagher, Redmond

Not sure if Lemina's gash can take a pounding so soon. If he can't play than being PEH in and Clasie onto bench.

Could be close but no way will/should risk Lamina. Looked nasty.

---------------------------McCarthy-----------------------

--Pied-----------Bednarek----------Yoshi---------Targett--

------------------Hojbjerg----------JWP--------------------

--Long---------------------Boufal-----------------McQueen--

----------------------------Austin-----------------------------

Wouldn't risk Lemina after Noble's 'tackle'.

---------------------------McCarthy-----------------------

--Pied-----------Bednarek----------Yoshi---------Targett--

------------------Hojbjerg----------JWP--------------------

--Long---------------------Boufal-----------------McQueen--

----------------------------Austin-----------------------------

Wouldn't risk Lemina after Noble's 'tackle'.

Think this will be close. Maybe Davis, Tadic or Lemina for Long.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It looks like our u23s play away to Wolves tonight so the selection in that game with give an indication of which players will be called up for the cup game. I think I recall for the cup final last season tickets initially went on sale to season ticket holders who had also been to the first rounds of the cup so there is some incentive to go to these games.

Part of the deal with the sponsors from Asia. Doesn't really matter when the draw is, we'll just find out 3 hours later when we wake up.

I think it does matter. English football moves ever further from its roots due to money. The draw should be in England at a time when people can watch it live.

Big banana skin this game. All depends on which team's get put out. I'd say we should put out a strong backbone as Wolves can't be underestimated.

McCarthy (or Forster if not fit)

Pied Bednarek Yoshida Targett

Hojbjerg Romeu

JWP Boufal Redmond

Austin

subs: Taylor, Stephens, McQueen, Clasie, Tadic, Long, Gallagher

Let Lemina's cut heal.

Will there be more youngsters? We shall see.

Here we go then. The Giant Banana-skin clash.

They lost today which is their first loss of the season. Will be interesting to see what changes both they (and we make).

Will MP make whole-sale changes? I think he will. There's a fair few players not getting minutes.

A tricky team to predict. I'd expect who doesn't get a game on Wednesday will tell us more about which fringe players might be off.

I think this is right with possible change of Targett for McQueen. I don't get the negativity from some fans about the changes. These are vital players in our squad who should be itching to prove a point. And rotating helped get us to Wembley last year. I am all for it. Be interesting to see what Wolves do as they have spent big on promotion bid...