Saints 0 Wolves 2 (Carabao Cup)

SuperSAINT

Jesus christ, the OTT reactions are out in force tonight!

It was a crap, crap performance. One of our worst for years and years, no denying that.

But take this in isolation, it would be stupid to do anything else.

Started the game with a formation we weren't sure about, we started on the back foot and slow - it's always hard to regain any sort of momentum if you start as bad as we did. Very confident we'll be a lot better at Huddersfield, and the team will be a lot more familiar with each other.

Starting the game with a formation we weren't sure about?

Im sorry but you dont lose to a team who put out its entire reserves out and we got slammed at home.

9 first teamers who play in the premiership every week should never lose against a team of kids.

Puel: Wins against Palace and Sunderland, Away win at Arsenal, two wins against Liverpool...All without conceding a goal.

Pellegrino: Knocked out 2-0 at home to a team in a lower division.

But oh, his press conferences are more exciting so that's okay, right? What an absolute joke.

This.

Wow, terrible score line. Need a couple of attacking bodies in and out.

Should have beaten Swansea comfortably but didn't, a bit unlucky.

Beat WHU but got a bit lucky

****e tonight

Have to show up vs Huddersfield who will be super pumped and match their commitment or we will lose.

Unless Noble really did him, Lemina should be back for JWP who will be invisible at Hudds, keep him on the bench for the set pieces if we are losing. Gabi will start as will Redmond so will be a better side and Hoedt likely to start - Stephens or Yoshi are fine with a stronger player in the air with them. Romeu was our only midfielder who could be bothered. PEH was a winner tonight - he grew more popular by not being part of that shambles. Cedric will be back and hopefully a fully fit Bertrand.

3 CBs was odd - MP needs to justify that. Bednarak needs a loan spell starting in L1 and Championship next season if he proves himself. McQueen looked at sea in that formation and Pied was rusty.

Hudds key - at least the players should be focused for that now.

Spending much of this season on this forum's match threads is going to test my sanity.
Absolutely no change from last season, worse even. That said, the match threads were actually quite funny last year. Wristslitters unite!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I dont get this it's only the blah blah cup.

When I played football it was to win every game.

The players tonight need to breed winning and I will say they should be docked wages after tonight's performance.

They simply could not be ****ing arsed to turn up for the club or fans tonight.

It was a crap, crap performance. One of our worst for years and years, no denying that.

Started the game with a formation we weren't sure about, we started on the back foot and slow - it's always hard to regain any sort of momentum if you start as bad as we did. Very confident we'll be a lot better at Huddersfield, and the team will be a lot more familiar with each other.

I'd agree if it was an isolated incident but we've scored 1 goal from open play at home in the last 8/9 games. That is absolutely shocking whichever way you look at it.

Maybe you should post less on this forum, you need to get into the real world a bit more. Tonight real fans are letting off steam, relax or even join in, anything they show you are not an automated android passionless cyber creep.

Pellegrino isn't an upgrade on Puel.

I spoke to the son of former Liverpool owner, Rick Parry a couple of weeks ago. He said the same thing. He worked with MP at Liverpool and said 'He's a lovely guy, but I don't think he's got what it takes to take Saints to the next level. Puel's football may have been boring but I think you'd have been better keeping him. I think you're going to be very disappointed at the end of the season'. I know it's only an opinion but it's interesting to hear the views of somebody who knows him and has worked with him.

Boufal had a bit of an injury plagued season last year, I'm willing to be patient with him.

So am I but can you see Saints selling Tadic late in the window? I don't think we benefit from both of them though. Merrington is making some good comments about Boufal and SFC not getting the best out of him.

Mind you, I don't think the formation helped anyone. Tadic's time-wasting did my head in when we were losing and terrible miss first half.

We can't keep changing managers though. When is Sims fit? Might need that type of lively player to create space and movement.

Further good points on giving Gabi or Austin some service and some midfielders taking gambles to join them. Can't see that we'll move on from last season until we sort that out.

Maybe you should post less on this forum, you need to get into the real world a bit more. Tonight real fans are letting off steam, relax or even join in, anything they show you are not an automated android passionless cyber creep.

For a club historian, you come across as a right jerk mate. Not sure what your issue is with me, but anyone can see that the reactions are OTT tonight when you see crap like ''MPe is on a thin rope'' etc etc.

People need to give that OTT crap a f***ing rest. It was ****, no one is denying that. But it's 1 ****ing game at the start of a season, for fans to be going absolutely crazy on the back of it is insane.

Sorry if that doesn't make me a proper fan. Maybe I should ask for a refund to my season ticket and all my away tickets.

If you want passion, there you go.

Jerk.

This. Give me Pellegrino over Puel all day long. Barring this game we've played a much more high tempo game which is more attractive to watch (unlike anything last season). Sh*t result tonight and a poor performance but we'll move on. Chat of relegation battles is madness.

I prefer the MP approach play, but we're left with some of the same deficiencies as last year:

weak in front of goal,

a number of players wanting too many touches

no pace up front (the player who might have offered pace and strength is out on loan)

gk - immobile, and not commanding

Accept that the VD situation is not of the clubs making and taht hasn't helped, but why some of the above have not been adequately addressed is annoying.

I prefer the MP approach play, but we're left with some of the same deficiencies as last year:

weak in front of goal,

no pace up front (the player who might have offered pace and strength is out on loan)

Accept that the VD situation is not of the clubs making and taht hasn't helped, but why some of the above have not been adequately addressed is annoying.

I get those concerns, but I have seen some positive changes to that in our first two league games. Still lots of work to do, and I think we're trying for another attacker as I think we need a bit more pace/power to stretch the game a bit. I don't think MPe is a mug though, he doesn't strike me as a character who will take ****. Will be interested to hear his reaction tonight.

Perhaps it's staring to dawn on a few that Puel actually did s decent job with the players he was given. Still as long as the press conferences are funnier, we see exciting football and the little darlings on 50k a week are happy, it doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The press conference excuse was one of the worst reasons to dislike a manager. How many people even watch those press conferences anyway?

For a club historian, you come across as a right jerk mate. Not sure what your issue is with me, but anyone can see that the reactions are OTT tonight when you see crap like ''MPe is on a thin rope'' etc etc.

People need to give that OTT crap a f***ing rest. It was ****, no one is denying that. But it's 1 ****ing game at the start of a season, for fans to be going absolutely crazy on the back of it is insane.

Sorry if that doesn't make me a proper fan. Maybe I should ask for a refund to my season ticket and all my away tickets.

Jerk.

Yes mate the knee jerking is a sight to behold and utterly pathetic but tbh I honestly think some actually love it...

According to a mate of mine Who was there, only Stephens played well.

Well I was there and thought that this was Stephens worst performance this year !

He looked lost playing on the right of the back three !

TBF almost nobody played well but he was one of the worst IMHO !

That was ****ing awful just as bad as the worse crap served up last season. As soon as I saw the front line I knew we'd struggle zero pace.

I can't come up with one positive about tonight.

Still as a lot of posters kept telling me last season cup finals are no big deal and not an achievement so there's nothing to get upset about...

A keeper that lets in so many goals and remains on his feet beggars belief.

A defence that is as porous as bog roll.

An attacking midfield that cant score or at the least service the strikers, sorry STRIKER.

And last but by no means least yet another negative, manager who only makes changes after the damage is done, despite the warning signs .

Comparisons with Puel and Pellegrino are pathetic.

Its like asking if you want a punch in the face or a kick in the balls.

Puel was horrendous and Les was 100% right to release him, the fact hes still unemployed speaks volumes.

Pellegrino needs to improve things fast, but suggesting you'd keep that clown Puel is probably the biggest insult u can give to a manager 3 games in.

If pellegrino turns out to be another duff then that sits with Leslie.

Well one things for sure - this seems to have put everyone in a bad mood ! Sounded shocking - I still think we are much better than we are playing but do worry we have a bit of a mental issue now attacking at home. We'll see if it's carried over to our away form on Sat. Think we will win that though - pressure will be on Udders and we may see that a lot of this is mental strength (I don't think any of our attacking players have any mental strength - aside from Austin which must be very concerning for Mo Pe - but let's see if he can turn that around.

weak in front of goal,

But for a fortunate last minute penalty against West Ham, we've made a very slow start under MP. Failed to score against a woeful Swansea, blew a two goal lead at home to a poor West Ham side and have now lost two nil to a Championship side's reserves. Plenty to come from us I'm sure but we need to start scoring more goals and quickly. We've done great business so far on the players we've brought in so far but our big weakness last year was scoring goals. We haven't yet brought anyone in to freshen things up and have let the other alternative option we didn't have last season go out on loan. Need to buy an attacker asap or we are asking MP to perform a miracle on the ineffective attackers we do have.

Jerk.

There were too many asterisks in your reply for me to fully understand it. Sorry. What I was saying is sometimes you need to post less to say more. You often talk sense but then you ruin it by talking too much like tonight. Trying to defend or make excuses for the dross on display today marks you out as a club quisling.

Real fans? In the main I expect most posting posting have streamed or listen on radio how about actually attending a match,yes it is frustrating but for Christ sake give the manager time to inpose his systems and beliefs .yes I will be at Huddersfield so let's see what is achieved there with hopefully our strongest team.

There were too many asterisks in your reply for me to fully understand it. Sorry. What I was saying is sometimes you need to post less to say more. You often talk sense but then you ruin it by talking too much like tonight. Trying to defend or make excuses for the dross on display today marks you out as a club quisling.

I thought you were an intelligent man but to suggest S- Clarke has defended tonight is daft, he has just said the over reacting is ridiculous

and he is right

Well you didn't say that did you, you inferred that real fans are the ones who are posting the OTT reactions thus trying to make me out as some sort of cyber apologist who isn't a real fan. This isn't a contest about who is the bigger fan, you've done this with me before for some reason - it's irrelevant, we all support the same team.

I'm not making any obvious excuses for tonight, I've admitted that it was shambolic and shocking. But it's done, it's gone, it's put to bed. The players will put this behind them and we need to forget it as well. I didn't suggest Huddersfield will be an easy win what so ever, I said I'd expect a much better performance. There are reasons and debates to be had as to why we were poor and it could go on and on and on, but I've been to the first two games of this season and I have seen an improvement - the people who sit around me have seen an improvement, I can see positive approaches and changes in what we're trying to do. Tonight seemed quite a distance away from what we've dished up this season to me.

Tonight's done, it was horrible. MP isn't a mug and I'm sure he will be ripping into a few of those lads tonight, but they will move onto Saturday as we should.

Ok. My angry response.

Team should have been ok, but only Yoshida, McQueen, Romeu, JWP, Stephens played with any credit.

Worst player on the pitch was Austin. Slow, static, have no attacking options. Don't say he didn't get service. He never moved to anywhere where he could receive a pass.

Pied fragile, likewise Bedarnek. Neither good enough. Boufal and Tadic trying to be individually clever but not a brain cell between them.

People will blame JWP for going sideways. There was no movement in front of him for other options. He rarely had any option except the ball to McQueen.

Forster. Where do I start.? I've tried to defend him, but a soft header in the middle of the goal and another where he showed total indecision. McCarthy must be given a chance.

We desperately need Sims and Hesketh fit. Both better than Boufal and Tadic.

Rant over. I did a round trip of 400 miles for this and I'm angry. Need alcohol and a curry.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I thought you were an intelligent man but to suggest S- Clarke has defended tonight is daft, he has just said the over reacting is ridiculous

and he is right

In the immediate aftermath of a game you are likely to get people with exaggerated reactions - bad when you lose and good when you win. Everyone knows it. People need a chance to vent. They don't want to be told they are wrong or to calm down. It's a chance to express frustration.

I didn't see the game but found it interesting that by my reckoning at some point every starter got a slating bar McQueen and Yoshida. It sounded like the players weren't comfortable with the formation and when that is the case they really do crawl back into their shells playing safe and uninspiring football and this resulted in a bad performance. A lack of leadership in this team tonight meant dragging us to a win was never going to happen.

I'm ok with mistakes being made but the secret to success is to learn from them quickly. Please never Boufal and Tadic in the same team (two players who are failing to impress) and hopefully whatever formation it was tonight (3-5-2 or 3-4-3) goes back to being a work in progress and only used when the players are either comfortable with it or better players are plugged into it.

I still struggle to see how the balance of the team can be right with the personnel we have. There is a lack of compatibility in many areas of the game and I do genuinely think it is a player issue rather than coaching issue. But I suppose time will tell with that one.

No mention of JWP's performance tonight. Can someone summarise where he played and how?
Probably call it #10. Lot of the ball, never lost it, frustrated at the options in front of him. I think he played well. Cue moaning that he passed sideways and back. Because there were no other ****ing options.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk