Saints 0 Wolves 2 (Carabao Cup)

SuperSAINT

Talk about overreactions :lol:

Poch lost a few times to Sunderland in cups, Koeman lost to Sheffield United away (another night where we just didn't turn up).

Wolves are a very good Championship side with some decent expensive players in their ranks, we played too defensively for some reason and couldn't change to a more attacking mentality when it was needed.

No need for alarm bells, we're going (reasonably) well in the league at the moment, can concentrate on that and a possible run in the FA Cup early next year.

When Saints screw up badly, like they have tonight, would it not be a good idea if all the pious happy clappy club apologists took a few hours off to let the ones that really suffer in the real world to wallow in our collective misery, without being preached to or patronised. Nothing worse than a happy clappy or a fan in denial on a night like this.
Being prematurely knocked out of the cup by lower league opposition for definitely not the first time and definitely definitely not the last time is what qualifies as "really suffering in the real world" now?

And you're accusing other people of being "pious"?

Get over yourself you absolute plank.

Absolutely stupid comment, we played badly yes, particularly in the first ten minutes and the second half was possibly the worst I've seen us play for a long time. However, the set up was all wrong and our movement was terrible all night and we were far too negative with 3 CB's and by the time it changed in the second half it was too late.

Wolves played very well, they defended well and looked sharp all night and zippy when they decided to attack.

Ward-Prowse and Tadic were useless all night with the way they slowed us down.

Boufal had some bright flashes but too many times he was caught making poor decisions and his final ball was off.

Austin - Useless all night and should have been red carded. He looks so off the pace it's untrue.

Romeu - Played well at times but had a useless JWP next to him, so was often left doing the work of two men.

Bedanek - Played okay, wasn't awful just average.

Yoshida - Despite the scoreline he was by far and large our best player, very composed.

Stephens - made some silly decisions, not his best game.

Pied - Fairly poor all night, poor crossing and our right side was VERY weak, Tadic didn't cover him either.

McQueen - Very good first half and made some nice crosses, but needs more confidence, his crossing was good tonight.

Forster - Poor, should have saved the second goal.

Subs: Redmond, Gab, Long - didn't do anything of note.

The biggest issue was movement, we're far too slow to move the ball and one paced, we let the opposition set up and sit deep and when space opens up no-one has a shot.

But it's an isolated poor performance, not one that I will get too fussed about, the team didn't look motivated and were set up wrong, MoPo's experiment failed and a good thing it did because I hope we never go to a back three again if our movement is that poor. Also, it shows you how important Bertrand/Cedric are to how we play.

The worst player on the pitch was either Tadic/JWP, Jwp delivered some okay balls but as usual he was offering us nothing on the ball. Tadic looks a faded force, he's no longer the creative flair player that first joint us, he has lost his way and needs to be dropped for his own sake.

Pretty much sums a lot of it up.

Thought Yoshida was sponsored by Chubb fire systems tonight, running about with a fire extinguisher all that was missing was a fireman helmet with a blue flashing light on top. Towards the end of the game when he made that rash tackle (That he got away with) I think the bloke was knackered from babysitting Bedenek and McQueen who seemed to spend the first half in a cloud of rust dust.

With Boufal I think he is trying too hard, he was winkling the ball away from Wolves players superbly early on, wolves player on his backside moaning ref had nothing to give. If he owned the compromising photographs Tadic and Redmond obviously have of someone high up in the club, and knew he was going to take to the pitch for the next 5 or so games for 90 minutes regardless of his performance, he might not feel he has to try so hard and relax.

That clear cut shot from Tadic was a bloody disgrace, from someone who is supposedly so bloody great, he isn't great he is as average as some of the $Høitə the club use to spin and blow sunshine up our backsides about having just signed a pitpony every other team was looking at.... yeah looking at and going "we don't want that".

The point with Romeu was about right too, aside from the brainfart on Saturday of trying to dribble out of the box into a wall of West Ham players resulting in their first goal, with Lemina at his side he did look more relaxed.

Overall we are too bloody slow, Austin, Long, Redmond are too predictable, Gabbi can pull a rabbit out of the hat but the bloke is living off scraps........... I am just fat lad who sits up in the stand but have watched enough football down through the years to know what I am seeing across the whole pitch with my own eyes, and quite honestly I think we have dropped a böľłøçķ shipping an "unknown quantity" (to the prem) like Gallagher out on loan.

The one saving grace tonight was the Wolves player Dïčķø was too fast damn for the rest of his team, that Reuben-Vinagre was also a handful for such a little bloke too.

For a self appointed Saints historian you'd think you'd be a bit more pragmatic.

Yes it was dire but it's the least important game of the season and the manager decided to try out a different formation. Poch and Koemsn got pilloried on here for no plan B and here is a manager trying something out that could come in useful against Premier League teams when we need to change things.

On to the next one. The sky hasn't fallen!

Least important game of the season. Or, alternatively, 50% of our chances of winning anything this season have just disappeared. And it's still August. If you're not disappointed by that, carry on.

Not the end of the world. But it was a p1ss-poor defeat by a Championship second XI. Perspective.

Least important game of the season. Or, alternatively, 50% of our chances of winning anything this season have just disappeared. And it's still August. If you're not disappointed by that, carry on.

Not the end of the world. But it was a p1ss-poor defeat by a Championship second XI. Perspective.

I'm extremely disappointed. However, the over the top reactions on here are just too much. People already writing MoPe off, blaming Les, and all the other claptrap that's been posted.

Maybe you should post less on this forum, you need to get into the real world a bit more. Tonight real fans are letting off steam, relax or even join in, anything they show you are not an automated android passionless cyber creep.

Wow! This comment really takes the cake for insulting condescension.

Would be a shame if we go back to playing JWP against Wolves as it'll be tantamount to admitting we're not interested in this cup this year. But admittedly we do need to put him in the shop window so it's a tricky one.

Not bad. 7/10

TBF. He was absolutely right.

He constantly refuses to take the ball forward, let alone pass it, totally cancelling any momentum we may have. He missed the ball on the line for the first goal, probably as his first thought was to pass it back.

Stephens was excellent. Yoshida was also excellent.

Tadic and Boufal and JWP were shocking. Pied was abysmal. Bednarek was sub-standard. Austin was anonymous. It was ****ing embarrassing.

Mind you, Wolves looked pretty bloody good. They have a player called Vinagre who was very tricky and full of pace. Good luck to them. We were ****.

Very disappointing to go out of a very winnable competition so soon. Shades of Koeman with the careless selection and set up rubbing off on the players who weren't fully committed. Shocking to ask supporters to pay for tickets if that's the clubs attitude to the EFL Cup. Will be a different side and attitude Saturday for certain. It is time to bench Tadic though - I feel like I have been scapegoating him all season already - but watch the guy - so many of our attacking moves break down with him as he dithers, loses possession or hits yet another intercepted pass or woeful cross. Don't get me started on his shooting or penalties. He is the anchor on this side. He is the main reason we don't score many goals.

Tadic and Austin seem to have absolutely no understanding of each others game they were getting in each other's way during the game. Tadic plays the wrong balls for Austin and Austin makes the wrong runs for Tadic to pick out .

Is it a coincidence that Tadic's best work was with Pelle and Mane in the side two players he seemed to click with?

Being prematurely knocked out of the cup by lower league opposition for definitely not the first time and definitely definitely not the last time is what qualifies as "really suffering in the real world" now?

And you're accusing other people of being "pious"?

Get over yourself you absolute plank.

Right on cue! Unlike you I actually care about my team and any defeat hurts like hell. Sorry if that upsets you but I have long come to realise you inhabit this forum not because you have a passion for Saints but because of your narcissistic nastiness. As a matter of interest do you ever go to games and do you ever comment on the football or are you just content being the forum clever ****?

MP reaction

Difficult night

we went 1 step back in the performance

we have to learn from his type of game

we were not focused for this game

it was difficult to pick the side for this game

we knew wolves are defensively really strong

the last 15 min of the 1st half we should have scored

their 1st goal changed the game completely

the level of their football was high

we cannot repeat this mistake

the team must keep going as we want to grow and show ambition

I tried 3 at the back to stop their crosses and to dominate the wide areas

we did quite well in the 1st half in stopping them

hopefully wesley will help the team

he is young so hopefully he will help the team to be stronger

we hope he will grow with us and be with us many years

pretty poor from MP to set the team up to stop them. they made 11 changes ffs

Edited by Batman

TBF. He was absolutely right.

He constantly refuses to take the ball forward, let alone pass it, totally cancelling any momentum we may have. He missed the ball on the line for the first goal, probably as his first thought was to pass it back.

'niceandfriendly' slags off JWP incessantly, regardless of whether he has a good or bad game, ergo he is bound to be "right" from time to time. #brokenclocksyndrome

Sounds like the players and manager will thought along the same lines as you.

Why would the manager think any different, fantastic cup run last year combined with 8th place in the league wasnt enough for the previous manager to keep his job so the current manager has no choice but to hope we can focus on and succeed more in the league

I'm extremely disappointed. However, the over the top reactions on here are just too much. People already writing MoPe off, blaming Les, and all the other claptrap that's been posted.
Not writing him off just for the last 2 games he didn't change what wasn't working. That last night was so obvious yet he was like a rabbit in headlights and just hoiked off the usual rather than who was rubbish. How the f*** Tadic stays on baffles me he has delivered nothing for weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not writing him off just for the last 2 games he didn't change what wasn't working. That last night was so obvious yet he was like a rabbit in headlights and just hoiked off the usual rather than who was rubbish. How the f*** Tadic stays on baffles me he has delivered nothing for weeks.

what annoys me about tadic is when he is in a good position and got his marker facing his own goal line, tadic will twist and turn....in the mean time, the defence is back in some sort of shape for him (or who ever he passes to) to cross the ball into a crowded area

The fact is, on the night, the better side and more motivated side won. Looking at the issues our players ARE better than Wolves, but collectivily there was lots of poor decisions and most worrying was the movement or lack of.

And WHEN there is movement no players back themselves to make a pass. I hate to say it but when we went direct or tried to get in behind we caused more problems through just following up, when Boufal decided to be positive we looked good.

But these are professional players - by now JWP should be stamping his authority on his games with his so-called technical ability and switching play and hitting 60 yard passes - that's what Morgan did, JWP ALWAYS plays the "easy ball" when others are running off him, for a player that can hit a stunning dead ball for him to lack the ability or confidence to open defences up is a real shame.

Now moving on to Charlie Austin, his movement and mobility was poor. Of course he wasn't supplied well either, but he had a mare, their defenders had him in their pocket all game and he struggled to link with anyone. He did manage one good header, but for a Premiership striker, you'd expect him to be a threat even on a bad day - He wasn't.

I think Lemina will be a vital buy this season, i'd much rather a box-to-box type with physical presence than a Prowse in the centre of the park. Wolves were a big side and we were bullied far too often today - especially JWP/Tadic - in fairness to Boufal he had a great spell in the first half where he outstrengthed their players he is stronger than he looks.

Back from the game. Bizarre decision to play 3-5-2 to match them. I thoughts the CB's did ok. Delivery from Pied and McQueen not to the required standard. Boufal had some decent touches and adds something a bit different, how he got hooked instaead of the woeful Tadic I don't know. Austin didn't get any chances but didn't create anything either. JWP takes all the pace out of attacks and for a dead ball legend doesn't actually deliver goals or assists.

Finally Forster, I am sorry just not good enough. The first goal he stood there and the second was so slow off his line. Simply not good enough.

Play like that Saturday we'll still be on four points.

I was curious as to how that system would work but not with those players. Boufal and Tadic can't play together, Austin has no pace at all, JWP was useless, Pied nowhere near good enough for that role.

The overall play was just so static. 5 defenders pinging around with no movement at all in front of them, just a bunch of lemons stood watching Yoshida and expecting him to magically scythe the defence open.

Another thing I don't get is why the only time we show any flare or adventure, it's playing 50 yard Hollywood passes, to our LB in his own half. What's he going to do with it there. And defending corners with 11 in our own box... at home... to Wolves... and still conceding... f**k me sideways!!

My thoughts exactly.

Right on cue! Unlike you I actually care about my team and any defeat hurts like hell. Sorry if that upsets you but I have long come to realise you inhabit this forum not because you have a passion for Saints but because of your narcissistic nastiness. As a matter of interest do you ever go to games and do you ever comment on the football or are you just content being the forum clever ****?

Put him on ignore, like many others have done.

'niceandfriendly' slags off JWP incessantly, regardless of whether he has a good or bad game, ergo he is bound to be "right" from time to time. #brokenclocksyndrome

I'm one of JWP's biggest fans, think he's a top bloke and an honest player. He's just unfortunately not a good footballer but again I'm not knocking him, cause neither am I!

what annoys me about tadic is when he is in a good position and got his marker facing his own goal line, tadic will twist and turn....in the mean time, the defence is back in some sort of shape for him (or who ever he passes to) to cross the ball into a crowded area

Is this happening because those others forward of him arent in position, it does seem to me from the bits I watch from afar that the team just dont quite gel properly, I think we need to pick our best 11 and just leave it as much as possible for a run of matches

When Saints screw up badly, like they have tonight, would it not be a good idea if all the pious happy clappy club apologists took a few hours off to let the ones that really suffer in the real world to wallow in our collective misery, without being preached to or patronised. Nothing worse than a happy clappy or a fan in denial on a night like this.

I presume that you don't see the irony as you are doing it in reverse :mcinnes:

Absolutely stupid comment, we played badly yes, particularly in the first ten minutes and the second half was possibly the worst I've seen us play for a long time. However, the set up was all wrong and our movement was terrible all night and we were far too negative with 3 CB's and by the time it changed in the second half it was too late.

Wolves played very well, they defended well and looked sharp all night and zippy when they decided to attack.

Ward-Prowse and Tadic were useless all night with the way they slowed us down.

Boufal had some bright flashes but too many times he was caught making poor decisions and his final ball was off.

Austin - Useless all night and should have been red carded. He looks so off the pace it's untrue.

Romeu - Played well at times but had a useless JWP next to him, so was often left doing the work of two men.

Bedanek - Played okay, wasn't awful just average.

Yoshida - Despite the scoreline he was by far and large our best player, very composed.

Stephens - made some silly decisions, not his best game.

Pied - Fairly poor all night, poor crossing and our right side was VERY weak, Tadic didn't cover him either.

McQueen - Very good first half and made some nice crosses, but needs more confidence, his crossing was good tonight.

Forster - Poor, should have saved the second goal.

Subs: Redmond, Gab, Long - didn't do anything of note.

The biggest issue was movement, we're far too slow to move the ball and one paced, we let the opposition set up and sit deep and when space opens up no-one has a shot.

But it's an isolated poor performance, not one that I will get too fussed about, the team didn't look motivated and were set up wrong, MoPo's experiment failed and a good thing it did because I hope we never go to a back three again if our movement is that poor. Also, it shows you how important Bertrand/Cedric are to how we play.

The worst player on the pitch was either Tadic/JWP, Jwp delivered some okay balls but as usual he was offering us nothing on the ball. Tadic looks a faded force, he's no longer the creative flair player that first joint us, he has lost his way and needs to be dropped for his own sake.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

I was a little encouraged by Boufal, in that he seems to have got a bit stronger and was winning the ball back a fair bit. Yeah, he gave the ball away a fair bit in the second half, but at least he was trying to create something. Unfortunately when you've got absolutely f*** all movement from anyone of your teammates, it's pretty hard to do that.

I've not been one to hammer JWP, but f*** me he was absolutely abysmal. The guy needs about 6 touches to decide what he's going to do. Pathetic when it comes to tackling. Just offers absolutely nothing.

What worries me is we've got a lot of attacking options, but I'm not sure any of them are actually that good. Gabbi aside, would any of Redmond, Tadic, Long, Austin, Boufal be guaranteed starters for any top half teams?

Looking at it again in the cold light of day. The underlying problem was the setup. Why we started with three at the back is beyond me, and the team looked lost.

Then consider who was missing. Cedric is way ahead of Pied. Gabbi is far better than Austin. We messed around with an established (if weakish) CB pairing. It was obvious to bring Bedarnek in, but would have been better in a two with Maya.

Why didn't Hojbjerg play? With Lemina presumably tested it should have been his chance. And I felt that it showed how much Davis contributes to the effectiveness of midfield. But, yes, fair enough to rest him for Sat.

Boufal, Tadic and JWP should have been creative enough but weren't on the same wavelength especially with a static Austin not moving any defenders or getting into scoring positions.

On to Huddersfield.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pretty much sums it up for me.

I was a little encouraged by Boufal, in that he seems to have got a bit stronger and was winning the ball back a fair bit. Yeah, he gave the ball away a fair bit in the second half, but at least he was trying to create something. Unfortunately when you've got absolutely f*** all movement from anyone of your teammates, it's pretty hard to do that.

I've not been one to hammer JWP, but f*** me he was absolutely abysmal. The guy needs about 6 touches to decide what he's going to do. Pathetic when it comes to tackling. Just offers absolutely nothing.

What worries me is we've got a lot of attacking options, but I'm not sure any of them are actually that good. Gabbi aside, would any of Redmond, Tadic, Long, Austin, Boufal be guaranteed starters for any top half teams?

I have always tried to see the positives with JWP but last night did it for me, if his first touch isn't a tackle then his second third and fourth touch normally is. He is too slow in moving the ball on or picking a team mate in an advanced position. Sad but he's not offering much else than his deadball delivery and we can't afford that.

As for the forwards,I agree about Redmond and Boufal, Tadic well he's never been the same since Pelle left, and I feel sorry for Gabbi, oh for a Ronnie Ecklund or Berkovic type player he would get all the service he could ever wish for!

Looking at it again in the cold light of day. The underlying problem was the setup. Why we started with three at the back is beyond me, and the team looked lost.

Then consider who was missing. Cedric is way ahead of Pied. Gabbi is far better than Austin. We messed around with an established (if weakish) CB pairing. It was obvious to bring Bedarnek in, but would have been better in a two with Maya.

Why didn't Hojbjerg play? With Lemina presumably tested it should have been his chance. And I felt that it showed how much Davis contributes to the effectiveness of midfield. But, yes, fair enough to rest him for Sat.

Boufal, Tadic and JWP should have been creative enough but weren't on the same wavelength especially with a static Austin not moving any defenders or getting into scoring positions.

On to Huddersfield.

Agree with that, no balance to the side and 3 at the back did not work, no one seemed to know what they were doing at we were far too light in middle of the park. Wing backs did not offer enough and when they got forward just ran into Boufal and Tadic, have we ever won when those two have both played?

Going to be very few fixtures this season , will save a few quid compared to last year I suppose.

I keep reading about a static Austin. The manager and coaches must surely see, and if not do some bloody research, that Charlie's strengths are best served playing with two up front. Gabbiadini would take defenders with him as his movement and intelligence is excellent. That would free up Austin to be the poacher that is his strength.

its not rocket science and there is nothing to lose by trying it and seeing what happens.

We have two many "on their day" attacking players. Yeah on their day Tadic, Boufal and Redmond can be very good and are match winners BUT just one of them having their day is as rare as hens teeth and that's a huge part of our problem I think.

Put the result to one side because any side can lose a game, but last night was up there with one of the worst performances I've seen for a few years. Slow, ponderous, lack of intensity, lack of interest. I was bored watching it. I don't think one player came away with any credit not even Romeu. My mind is now made up on Boufal; he's never going to be the player we all hoped he would be. Before he got taken off, I commented that he looked like he was trying to get himself subbed off. He kept giving the ball away like he was doing it deliberately.

To further dampen my mood, I was told of two players we are interested in signing before the window closes (will be one or the the other not both). Both are black box, Hojbjerg/Bednarek, hidden gem types. Might be useful in time but definitely not the proven attacking/creative impact player we desperately need. Vietto not going to happen apparently.

Put the result to one side because any side can lose a game, but last night was up there with one of the worst performances I've seen for a few years. Slow, ponderous, lack of intensity, lack of interest. I was bored watching it. I don't think one player came away with any credit not even Romeu. My mind is now made up on Boufal; he's never going to be the player we all hoped he would be. Before he got taken off, I commented that he looked like he was trying to get himself subbed off. He kept giving the ball away like he was doing it deliberately.

To further dampen my mood, I was told of two players we are interested in signing before the window closes (will be one or the the other not both). Both are black box, Hojbjerg/Bednarek, hidden gem types. Might be useful in time but definitely not the proven attacking/creative impact player we desperately need. Vietto not going to happen apparently.

brilliant

:x

So am I but can you see Saints selling Tadic late in the window? I don't think we benefit from both of them though. Merrington is making some good comments about Boufal and SFC not getting the best out of him.

Mind you, I don't think the formation helped anyone. Tadic's time-wasting did my head in when we were losing and terrible miss first half.

We can't keep changing managers though. When is Sims fit? Might need that type of lively player to create space and movement.

Further good points on giving Gabi or Austin some service and some midfielders taking gambles to join them. Can't see that we'll move on from last season until we sort that out.

You seem to be on Tadic's back a lot chum but were you actually there watching last night? Do you ever attend games at SMS? If so you'd realise that Tadic is one of the best playmakers we have. Last night he was assaulted physically by two effing great lumps of defenders every time he got near the ball. No wonder he couldn't get much going but he did more than most even so.

Perhaps it's staring to dawn on a few that Puel actually did s decent job with the players he was given. Still as long as the press conferences are funnier, we see exciting football and the little darlings on 50k a week are happy, it doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be silly.

No mention of JWP's performance tonight. Can someone summarise where he played and how?

Hard to tell, he was wearing his invisible cloak again.

Seriously he was beyond awful, stopped every move in it's tracks whilst his brain tried to work out what to do next. As usual he relied on his stock in trade, a short offload back pass to a team mate for him to sort out.

You seem to be on Tadic's back a lot chum but were you actually there watching last night? Do you ever attend games at SMS? If so you'd realise that Tadic is one of the best playmakers we have. Last night he was assaulted physically by two effing great lumps of defenders every time he got near the ball. No wonder he couldn't get much going but he did more than most even so.
You obviously weren't there if you think that of Tadic.

Thanks Tom. I agree on Boufal. I think he came wanting to be a superstar without appreciating the graft needed.

Disappointed about signings - not the type we need now. And that we let Gallagher go out. Why? Have to hope that Sims and Hesketh can shine when they're fit. Any news?

I think the problems last night were 1. New formation that didn't suit players and didn't work. 2. Established players didn't give everything. We'd have been better off playing fringe players with something to prove. Puel did it with more success than he was given credit for.

Where is Hojbjerg?

Hard to tell, he was wearing his invisible cloak again.

Seriously he was beyond awful, stopped every move in it's tracks whilst his brain tried to work out what to do next. As usual he relied on his stock in trade, a short offload back pass to a team mate for him to sort out.

Were you there? Don't suppose it matters really as your view of JWP is set. I guess you just copy and paste this comment after every game.

JWP worked hard, was always available, looking for the ball forward which was rarely on because of lack of movement. He fed the wings time and time again.

Am starting to wonder if playing 4-4-2 might be the new innovative style of football.

So many teams playing diamonds with one up top but Austin doesnt have the legs to make the movement required of someone up front on their own and Gabbi is built like a 13 yr old. He makes great runs and a quality finisher (as is Austin) but they need someone close to them making their life easier.

Tadic is a lazy whiner, JWP only appears when there's a free kick and Redmond is championship level.

Two up top with 1 decent play maker behind.. go old school.

We should have sold Tadic in the summer. He moans at everyone & takes zero responsibility for his own mistakes. Cant understand why both Hojberg & Clasie weren't playing. All well & good going on about Davis & how much we missed him, but not sure how much he would have done in a different formation.

I think some people are forgetting it was wolves RESERVES!!!!!

Shameful really.