Penalties

max_saints

Gone are the days of SRL smashing it into the top corner, we now have a situation where a penalty awarded is not guaranteed a goal.

After Tadic's less than convincing attempts, who should be our designated penalty taker (if on the pitch)?

For me, I wonder why JWP is not taking them? Granted, a penalty is not like a free kick or corner but surely he can place them better than Tadic's straight down the middle

Analysis of penalty strategies suggests that putting the ball down the middle is the best chance of scoring. But if it's 90% that goalkeeper will dive one way or the other, and 50% chance of saving IF he dives the right way, a strike down the center can be nearly 90% scoring frequency vs 75-80% for a side strike.

The reason it doesn't happen more often is because strikers get crucified when it doesn't work. (Also a penalty taker can't get known for favouring the centre or the odds shift.)

(Lambert's amazingness was he wd almost always score even w the keeper going the right way.)

But... I think criticism of Tadic over-done.

Analysis of penalty strategies suggests that putting the ball down the middle is the best chance of scoring. But if it's 90% that goalkeeper will dive one way or the other, and 50% chance of saving IF he dives the right way, a strike down the center can be nearly 90% scoring frequency vs 75-80% for a side strike.

The reason it doesn't happen more often is because strikers get crucified when it doesn't work. (Also a penalty taker can't get known for favouring the centre or the odds shift.)

(Lambert's amazingness was he wd almost always score even w the keeper going the right way.)

I don't.

Gone are the days of SRL smashing it into the top corner, we now have a situation where a penalty awarded is not guaranteed a goal.

After Tadic's less than convincing attempts, who should be our designated penalty taker (if on the pitch)?

For me, I wonder why JWP is not taking them? Granted, a penalty is not like a free kick or corner but surely he can place them better than Tadic's straight down the middle

The main reason he did not take the first one today was that he was not on the pitch at the time and when we got the second, Charlie was !

For sure, he should be ahead of Tadic as he looks assured and has scored the couple which he has taken !

My batting order would be Austin - JWP - Bertrand ! Tadic nor Gabbiadini would not even be on the list !

The main reason he did not take the first one today was that he was not on the pitch at the time and when we got the second, Charlie was !

For sure, he should be ahead of Tadic as he looks assured and has scored the couple which he has taken !

My batting order would be Austin - JWP - Bertrand ! Tadic nor Gabbiadini would not even be on the list !

No Redmond?

ha ha

The last time Saints finished a game with 2 successful penalty takers on the pitch was 1979 at home to Spurs when first .......... and then .............. scored from the spot in a 3-3 draw.

Fill in the gaps without looking it up.

Ball and Channon?

I fail to understand why Tadic is our penalty taker.

To be fair, he was the key pen taker for Twente and also is for Serbia. But I would agree that he isn't convincing what so ever.

If he's on the pitch, JWP is my first pick every single time.

Tadic nor Gabbiadini would not even be on the list !

I believe scored 5 out of 5 in Italy, including in the champions league, he's our main striker , the peno he missed was placed in the corner & was a good save, yet you wouldn't have him on your list. Dear god .......

As soon as JWP misses one, will he be off your list

Austin, Gabbi, JWP in that order. He should of had it yesterday. Tadic is a selfish ****. Would have done wonders for Gabbi, on a hat trick by half time. Banished the one miss of his career to history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tadic has a record of 28 scored out of 34. 82%.

So, even if our penalties don't look convincing, he should still end up scoring the vast majority of them.

Missed three out of nine for us with a few pretty ropey successes. Not convincing enough. Austin every time.

Tadic has a record of 28 scored out of 34. 82%.

So, even if our penalties don't look convincing, he should still end up scoring the vast majority of them.

Problem is anything less than a 98% success record is below our high expectations: over the years Peach, MLT, Crouch, and SRL have set the bar very high.

I believe scored 5 out of 5 in Italy, including in the champions league, he's our main striker , the peno he missed was placed in the corner & was a good save, yet you wouldn't have him on your list. Dear god .......

As soon as JWP misses one, will he be off your list

Austin, Gabbi, JWP in that order. He should of had it yesterday. Tadic is a selfish ****. Would have done wonders for Gabbi, on a hat trick by half time. Banished the one miss of his career to history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very harsh response to my reasoned post !

I reckon that most would approve of Austin, JWP and Bertrand as the top 3 but, hey, it's all about opinions !

Look how fcked off Tadic was with Austin taking it from him last season. If JWP does he'll go more mental.

Ideally he'd be behind Austin, JWP, Bertrand, Gabbiadini, Boufal and VVD.

The only people I'd trust as little as Tadic would be Long, Redmond and Cedric.

Cedric :lol:

Haha, I'd say not being on the pitch is a pretty good reason for not taking the penalty!

Wonder if you're being a little harsh on Gabbiadini though, his penalty against United was decent, but it brought out a fantastic save from Romero. I know there's the old cliche about "a good penalty is one that goes in", but I'd argue that Tadic has scored with some of his worst penalties, not sure a miss is always a sign of a bad taker.

Tadic should never be allowed near a penalty. Surely he must know that he isn't very good at them himself and surely Pellengrino must know too after West Ham.

thing is, Tadic will probably still have a hissy fit on the pitch of someone else grabbed the ball

even Austin had a nice word with him after he scored his winner

Austin -> JWP -> Gabba for me, not sure I'd have Tadic anywhere near it. I think I'f fancy Long to score more than Tadic.

Tadic seems to lack power in anything he does, just likes to stroke the ball everywhere which is good for passing, not so good for shooting.

I would assume that there is some sort of defined hierarchy for penalties. On Saturday, Gabbiadini looked like he assumed he was going to be taking it, and didn't seem overly impressed with Tadic taking the ball. With the second one, Austin clearly just got to the ball first, so while Tadic is on the pitch, it seems as though it's going to be a playground-esque "first to the ball gets to take it" situation, which obviously bodes well :lol:

I know Steven Davis isn't the sort of player who's going to rant and rave at team-mates when he's wearing the armband, but I do think the captain (whoever it is at that moment) needs to step up and be assertive in that situation and go with the instructions that have been issued before the game.

I would assume that there is some sort of defined hierarchy for penalties. On Saturday, Gabbiadini looked like he assumed he was going to be taking it, and didn't seem overly impressed with Tadic taking the ball. With the second one, Austin clearly just got to the ball first, so while Tadic is on the pitch, it seems as though it's going to be a playground-esque "first to the ball gets to take it" situation, which obviously bodes well :lol:

I know Steven Davis isn't the sort of player who's going to rant and rave at team-mates when he's wearing the armband, but I do think the captain (whoever it is at that moment) needs to step up and be assertive in that situation and go with the instructions that have been issued before the game.

I agree to some extent but actually I think MoPe is the ultimate enforcer on this one. Assuming we do have an order defined pre-k.o. then if Tadic wasn't supposed to be taking it MoPe needs to make it clear to him that any more of that behaviour will result in a long spell on the bench. It's hard for Davis to do much out on the pitch, if a word in the ear doesn't work.

I seem to remember Virg getting involved against Prague when Tadic wouldn't give it up to Austin. Tadic seems to be getting more and more petulant as time goes on. He absolutely should not ever take a penalty for us, but scoring on Saturday will have made him even more determined to take them. Austin, JWP, Gabbi should be the only contenders if they're on the pitch.

I agree to some extent but actually I think MoPe is the ultimate enforcer on this one.

He does, but ultimately the manager's influence on the pitch can only go so far, and unfortunately dropping Tadic for wanting to take penalties (even if it goes against team orders) is probably going to MoPe cutting his nose off to spite his face - for his many faults, Tadic is still one of our most creative players.

Wouldn't the odds be higher that a penalty shot down the middle (if it's hit low) will hit the keeper's feet or legs and rebound? If struck to the right or left corner and then hitting the keeper's hands, it's more likely to go in than rebound?