Clackers/Clappers

Batman

• 3 weeks later...

I guess the clappers are in for the season along with loads of footie tourists...happy days

"My Way" seems to have been relegated to one song in a Saint's history montage on the big screen sadly the clips of Channon, MLT, Pahars and Lambert scoring is actually more exciting than the match.

The club are clearly trying to improve the atmosphere but until the stuff on the pitch improves they are fighting a losing battle

Atmosphere will improve when the team improves

Not how it should be - the traditional type of 'supporter' lift their team, unfortunately, not the 'Southampton Way'.

We now have a team that suitably reflects our support; lightweight, timid and far too polite. The Northam has now diminished to a few right at the back making some half-hearted effort, I think there was only one attempt of a chant...of our only song...by a handful in the Itchen North yesterday, the rest of the atmosphere these days is supplied by the dreaded clackers and the visitors. 2-3,000 away fans easily drown out the other 29,000 home 'supporters'. The players efforts are constantly disappointing the fans, but the players are entitled to be as disappointed with the fan's support.

I hate them, I hate the selfies on the screen, I hate the fact our home atmosphere is fast turning into one of the worst in the league.

I did actually think about firing up my cobweb covered Twitter account to send a message of instruction out to the team on the pitch........... thought it would be amusing if it got up on the screen.

I did actually think about firing up my cobweb covered Twitter account to send a message of instruction out to the team on the pitch........... thought it would be amusing if it got up on the screen.

Now that's a great idea. "Get your finger out you *******!!!" #SaintsFC #Useless****s #WeLimpOn

I dont have a problem with them...the atmosphere is better, well at least its noisier.....having spent 6 years sitting with the same winging season ticket holders i took the step of ditching my seat, we sat in the family section for the westham game and it was a breath of fresh air,good atmosphere clappers helped to create more noise, perhaps the club could show the words to songs on the video screens similar to at Wembley?

I dont have a problem with them...the atmosphere is better, well at least its noisier.....having spent 6 years sitting with the same winging season ticket holders i took the step of ditching my seat, we sat in the family section for the westham game and it was a breath of fresh air,good atmosphere clappers helped to create more noise, perhaps the club could show the words to songs on the video screens similar to at Wembley?

I'm in agreement with you as regards the clappers, beats the usual morgue-like silence in the ground. As we don't have any songs though I'm not sure how the big screen would help. Huddersfield put us to shame a fortnight ago. They had a decent drum in the ground though, it helps big time. Could you imagine the whining on here if someone brought one into St Mary's! lol

I'm in agreement with you as regards the clappers, beats the usual morgue-like silence in the ground. As we don't have any songs though I'm not sure how the big screen would help. Huddersfield put us to shame a fortnight ago. They had a decent drum in the ground though, it helps big time. Could you imagine the whining on here if someone brought one into St Mary's! lol

Huddersfield are where we were when we came up, there's still enough of the lower league fans who are there to make noise and haven't been infiltrated by the football tourists and people that just want the "premier league experience". They're also buzzing because they're doing well and they'll make a racket because of that.

Our support was at it's best in League One/championship, but back then we had a lot more younger lads (late teens to early 30s) and far less of the weirdo fancy dress types and club merchandise types (and almost none of the blocks of overseas tourists).

What i can't get my head round is our current away support, the numbers are great but we seem to have gotten significantly quieter for no reason at all.

Football has changed so much... half and half scarfs, tourists a family day out... it's become a lot more theatre orientated, we showed up at the West Ham game at 1pm the kids were entertained by a band, kicking balls through holes, food a visit to the shop then sammy saint before 130 min of smacking there clappers Everyone can sing along to "oh when the saints..." was it always sung so slow? "Come on ye reds" not sung enough... "we've got vd? , Shane long anybody? Rest of songs don't really deserve being sung to the players at the moment and the theatre bunch wouldn't know them anyway.

I just wish that "told me to kick his f****** head in" song would stop being sung. Been going for years now and I still haven't been bothered to listen closely enough to know the words, even though my ST is in the Northam. Mind you, the fact that those words are the only ones you can hear means that not many others know the verses. Not relevant I know, just something I've felt for a while.

I just wish that "told me to kick his f****** head in" song would stop being sung. Been going for years now and I still haven't been bothered to listen closely enough to know the words, even though my ST is in the Northam. Mind you, the fact that those words are the only ones you can hear means that not many others know the verses. Not relevant I know, just something I've felt for a while.

A rare (but pathetic) show of aggression by a mere handful at the back of the Northam/Kingsland corner. I'd prefer my atmosphere a bit more gnarly but we just don't do it very well. A trip to St Mary's must be viewed as a walk in the park for visitors these days, not much of a challenge on the pitch and what must be the least intimidating environment around it. Watford fans had some pretty good loud chants, we were just happy-clacky, can't remember a single chant of note once they scored.

There is a pretty clear correlation between what is happening on the pitch and the atmosphere generated by fans. Someone above mentioned the atmosphere being better in L1 and the Championship. That was because we were winning much more and so more exciting things were happening - goals, chances etc. In 2017 very little exciting has happened at home matches so the crowd has less to get vocal about.

There is a pretty clear correlation between what is happening on the pitch and the atmosphere generated by fans. Someone above mentioned the atmosphere being better in L1 and the Championship. That was because we were winning much more and so more exciting things were happening - goals, chances etc. In 2017 very little exciting has happened at home matches so the crowd has less to get vocal about.

It's a chicken or egg deal really. The players might up their game if the fans were roaring them on the fans might make more noise if the players perform better on the pitch.

It only comes from the Kingsland / Northam corner, normally about 15 minutes in they start running through the anti pompey songs, don't get it personally.