Clackers/Clappers

Batman

The hilarious thing about the whole clappers thing is that it's basically the club acknowledging that our fans can't create a good atmosphere and are giving us a helping hand. Personally, I don't think it improves the atmosphere anyway.

Its not just Southampton using them, Huddersfield have them for their match on TV now. Didn't Leicester start this clapper thing off a couple of years ago ?

Well, for what it's worth, my kids love making lots of noise with them!

Not often my boys get told to make as much noise as they want, unless they're at the footy of course ;)

Exactly - let the kids have some fun and make some noise.

And let the hard men in the Northam go all Football Factory.

Everyone has a good day out.

Harmless enough, although a tad annoying last week because the kids were getting bored and just slapping them randomly. If they have a 40ft container of them to work through they will be just right on a icy winters day when folks have their gloves on.

That bloke on the video just painted a target on his backside, worthy of a clack near him just to wind him up :D

I think they are cringeworthy. St Mary's has turned into a ground full of happy clappy tourists. The atmosphere is crap and the away fans constantly out sing us. Its embarrassing.

Hating it at the moment. The STs next to me on one side have moved. Swansea I had some people from France. Yesterday I has some from I think Italy. Both times they were more interested in taking photos/videos. I think that they supported Saints, but couldn't be sure.

Hating it at the moment. The STs next to me on one side have moved. Swansea I had some people from France. Yesterday I has some from I think Italy. Both times they were more interested in taking photos/videos. I think that they supported Saints, but couldn't be sure.

You were hating football a lot last year too. Maybe time to watch Jeff and friends?

We had 4 West Ham fans in front of us in the Itchen block 10 yesterday, how is that possible? Can't imagine that happening at Old Trafford or Anfield. To be fair they kept pretty quiet but still annoys me. They missed last 10 mins of first half and first 10 mins of second and sadly ****ed off before we got our winner

We had 4 West Ham fans in front of us in the Itchen block 10 yesterday, how is that possible? Can't imagine that happening at Old Trafford or Anfield.

I've sat in the home end at Anfield, 3 of us , all Saints supporters and nobody gave a shiete. Mind you we did lose 4-2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interestingly, back in 2000 when we moved into St. Mary's and brought in the White Witch, one of her recommendations was the use of rattles, clappers. She. maintained the noise would drive away evil spirits which were preventing us from winning.

Obviously nowadays our lack of goals has been resolved by their introduction.

Note: The White Witch said evil spiritd were present at the new stadium as it was built on an ancient graveyard and were dissatisfied.

Threw mine straight on the ground, its not disneyland its a football match.
Took mine home, its on the arm of my chair as I'm typing this. Fwiw I think it definitely helps with the atmosphere at certain times in the match, and as somebody else has already said, the kids love them. Funnily, when they were being used en masse, I would say that at least 3/4 of the home fans were involved. No it's not Disneyland, and I'm not mickey mouse.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Oh, yeah, I heard about those guys. They moved because they thought the person next to them was a right ****.

Clappers are tinpot and laughable.

I've seen so many that sit in quieter ends like chapel moaning about the atmosphere and then rock up to a game and just sit there. I've even been moaned at a few times for singing/standing in those areas.

Simple thing is, if you think the atmosphere is **** then get off your arses and sing.

Just want to apologize in advance: If I ever get to Southampton and attend a match at St. Mary's I will be quietly soaking up the atmosphere and not directly contributing to it. Again. I am sorry.

I'm sure you will at some stage. I can suggest a number of venues, but you'll need a few games to decide your favourite, and after a few pints you should be disinhibited enough to make a noise too. If you have a half of Russian Imperial Stout in The Platform you might also want to get on the pitch too, although I always forget to take my boots.... I might even buy you a pint in one of the cheaper pubs. ;-) After the game The Guide Dog is always a pretty good bet.

Well, effing teach them the songs then.

I've only been to a couple of home game in the last few years. Do we still have helmets dressed in road cone hats, fancy dress etc? One of the wierdest things I saw was a few years ago when Pochetino was manager a load of blokes in white capes, they looked like the Klu Klux Klan, turned out they were hilariously dressed as popes something to do with Popechino, very odd.

I've only been to a couple of home game in the last few years. Do we still have helmets dressed in road cone hats, fancy dress etc? One of the wierdest things I saw was a few years ago when Pochetino was manager a load of blokes in white capes, they looked like the Klu Klux Klan, turned out they were hilariously dressed as popes something to do with Popechino, very odd.

I'm sure they all thought it was odd to see you at s match!

It was well used in the Northam - the majority seemed to like it. No problem from me at all (though I used it on the ground to cover a sticky patch of soda from last week). Did anyone see Kat talking to Ralph about it on MOTD. She seemed a bit confused as to how they work.... ;-)

Well, effing teach them the songs then.

Blocks 30/31 (and maybe 32) of the Kingsland is rather disapproving of anyone singing!! 29 isn't much better. Chapel is just like one and that to me is the biggest disappointment. The centre is where the older lot sit. Behind the goals is the younger, noisier lot. Northam does its bit. Chapel doesn't.

Has anyone read what is written on them?

It's the words from that great pre match video from a couple of seasons ago with the great lines "we've been to the edge of the abyss and come back" and "we don't buy success we breed it"

Just reading this thread is quite funny, as a few football puritans are close on getting their knickers in a twist over them, when in reality it's nothing new in football, just a variation on the old Football rattle that could be heard at many footie grounds before they were banned as a potential weapon in the bad days of the 1970s.

Damn sight better than those Vuvuzelas

image.jpeg.0e8967c76408648208526b6b957feb89.jpeg

Look at these facking new breed caants with their farking rattles and clackers. They make me so mad, I am incredulous. Why can't it be more like the old days?? Why don't they faak off back to China or Japan or wherever the faak they come from, they all look the same to me anyway. FAAAK I'm so mad about this.

I'm not a fan of them, but lets be honest, our support since returning the the PL has been / is dreadful, both home and away. Hopefully these help bring a bit of life back to St Mary's.

I'm not sure if it's the tourists that are ruining the atmosphere or the fact people are only willing to sing about 3 songs.

I'm not a fan of them, but lets be honest, our support since returning the the PL has been / is dreadful, both home and away. Hopefully these help bring a bit of life back to St Mary's.

I'm not sure if it's the tourists that are ruining the atmosphere or the fact people are only willing to sing about 3 songs.

Well pretty much every time we get a new player song that finally sticks the club flogs said player. Back when no one wanted our players it was easier to have more songs on the list.

Edited by doddisalegend

Perhaps these fans you describe are a bit worried about what to do because how they will be judged by super fans like you ... ;)

I don't think our home support is too bad compared to most other Premier League clubs, no-where is any good these days. Our away support is poor though.

Much of that is down to the miserly away allocation the club takes, Huddersfield sold out at just a season ticket stage if I am not mistaken

I don't think our home support is too bad compared to most other Premier League clubs, no-where is any good these days. Our away support is poor though.

Indeed. Commentators who go round all the grounds regularly make a point of our atmosphere, which shows that if it's on the decline we're not the only ones.

I still enjoy the buzz and think the clappers help.

Does anyone know why the family stand burst into song towards the end on Saturday/what they were singing? That took me aback.

Indeed. Commentators who go round all the grounds regularly make a point of our atmosphere, which shows that if it's on the decline we're not the only ones.

I still enjoy the buzz and think the clappers help.

Does anyone know why the family stand burst into song towards the end on Saturday/what they were singing? That took me aback.

They had a cheer leader in there i think...