Toby Alderweireld

spyinthesky

Any one read the Times article on Spurs wage policy today?

Dele Alli - £50,000 per week (presume basic before bonuses?)

Tammy Abraham - £50k

Jonjo Shelvey - £70k

james Morrison at WBA - £65k

James Milner - £120k!!!!!!!!

Christain Benteke - £120k

Javier Hernandez - £140k

Harry Kane - £100k

Christian Erikssen - £75k

Andre Gray - £72k

Eric Dier - £65k

Jesse Lingard - £75k (rising to £100k)

Danny Rose - £65k

Ben Davies (paid less than Bryan Oviedo at Sunderland)

Toby Alderweireld paid considerably less than Harry Maguire, Jonny Evans and Micheal Keane so wonder what he was on at Saints?

Shame he would now attract a massive transfer fee as presumably our wage structure may now be better than Spurs

Based on these wages perhaps Wimmer would be happy to come here as I guess he isnt on a massive salary at Spurs based on these reported first teamers wages

Tammy Abraham - £50k

Jonjo Shelvey - £70k

Javier Hernandez - £140k

Harry Kane - £100k

Andre Gray - £72k

Eric Dier - £65k

Danny Rose - £65k

Toby Alderweireld paid considerably less than Harry Maguire, Jonny Evans and Micheal Keane so wonder what he was on at Saints?

Shame he would now attract a massive transfer fee as presumably our wage structure may now be better than Spurs

Based on these wages perhaps Wimmer would be happy to come here as I guess he isnt on a massive salary at Spurs based on these reported first teamers wages

Toby is definitely someone who I see sticking it to Spurs re: his contract.

On a side-note, Harry Maguire looked very impressive for the Snakes yesterday.

Tammy Abraham - £50k

Jonjo Shelvey - £70k

Javier Hernandez - £140k

Harry Kane - £100k

Andre Gray - £72k

Eric Dier - £65k

Danny Rose - £65k

Tbf to Milner he's spent most if not all his career in the premier league and i's getting to the twilight of it now , you don't sign for top clubs for crap wages and incrementally that's probably about right imo

Toby is definitely someone who I see sticking it to Spurs re: his contract.

On a side-note, Harry Maguire looked very impressive for the Snakes yesterday.

Was good against a poor Brighton side and motd were raving about him....yet last week he struggled vs Arsenal and was bullied by Giroud for the winner. Jurys out

To be honest it is phenomenal that they can compete and keep their players paying those wages. Good on them I say.

Absolutely. It's exactly what we're trying to do but Pochettino has turned Spurs into title contenders so quickly that the top English clubs can only tempt their players with money, whereas our guys can go for money and more success. It would be a shame if the tide turned and that Spurs team was broken up, like too many in Europe are when they look like they can challenge.

Let's not pretend it's the transfer fee which would prevent us from bringing Toby back.

Spurs pay about 1.5x the wage bill of us and the rest of the also rans but only half of the big clubs around them.

Their current squad was brilliantly put together getting players at that young age where they're not yet demanding big salaries but they won't be able to keep this team together. They're above us in the food chain but ultimately still small fry to Manchester x2 Chelsea arsenal Liverpool. Watch them get picked apart in the next 2 years. It'll take strong recruiting for them to stay top 4.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Spurs pay about 1.5x the wage bill of us and the rest of the also rans but only half of the big clubs around them.

Their current squad was brilliantly put together getting players at that young age where they're not yet demanding big salaries but they won't be able to keep this team together. They're above us in the food chain but ultimately still small fry to Manchester x2 Chelsea arsenal Liverpool. Watch them get picked apart in the next 2 years. It'll take strong recruiting for them to stay top 4.

You are probably right, but they have a real chance to permanently up their place in the food chain. If they win the league this year and do well in the Champions League that will be significantly more money to spend next year. A critical factor will be how they handle the financing of the new stadium. The owners can pay the costs for that without taking a FFP hit. If they do that they can push on and, at least according to the internet, their owners are rich enough to do that.

You are probably right, but they have a real chance to permanently up their place in the food chain. If they win the league this year and do well in the Champions League that will be significantly more money to spend next year. A critical factor will be how they handle the financing of the new stadium. The owners can pay the costs for that without taking a FFP hit. If they do that they can push on and, at least according to the internet, their owners are rich enough to do that.
I don't think Joe Lewis likes putting his hand in his pocket.

Absolutely. It's exactly what we're trying to do but Pochettino has turned Spurs into title contenders so quickly that the top English clubs can only tempt their players with money, whereas our guys can go for money and more success. It would be a shame if the tide turned and that Spurs team was broken up, like too many in Europe are when they look like they can challenge.

Let's not pretend it's the transfer fee which would prevent us from bringing Toby back.

Would it though? Really? :rolleyes:

Here's hoping.

giphy.gif

Would it though? Really? :rolleyes:

Absolutely. They're great to watch and I'd rather a young team grow together and win something than have another year of City or Chelsea. I don't hold any grudge against Spurs, who didn't do much wrong in their dealings with us as far as I recall.

Absolutely. They're great to watch and I'd rather a young team grow together and win something than have another year of City or Chelsea. I don't hold any grudge against Spurs, who didn't do much wrong in their dealings with us as far as I recall.

I do.

Mitchell, whose inside knowledge may have allowed them to gazump us on Toby, tempting Poch away when he was still under contract with Saints, Wanyama, their attempts to unsettle Morgan before coming in with a lowball offer, Bale, then Bale's sell-on clause, Hoddle, and Richards. I hold a grudge for all of these things.

I do.

Mitchell, whose inside knowledge may have allowed them to gazump us on Toby, tempting Poch away when he was still under contract with Saints, Wanyama, their attempts to unsettle Morgan before coming in with a lowball offer, Bale, then Bale's sell-on clause, Hoddle, and Richards. I hold a grudge for all of these things.

The only thing I'm still bitter about is Tommy Forecast! Bitter and resentful.

But you do have to admit, they play the game the right way and run their club well too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well if you don't mind Spurs then I can totally see your point. I think Levy should be applauded for keeping a strict wage structure, and it's much better to see a club build a team without having 'cheat mode enabled' like Man City (who, lest we forget, were a distinctly mid to lower PL team before they had a cash injection). The trouble is, I'm not a neutral. I hate Tottenham doing well, and the fact that they are doing it with Pochettino, Wanyama and Alderweireld, that Levy employs all the usual underhanded tactics when trying to sign players, and that I know soooo many Tottenham fans (some of which are bearable, some aren't), means I can't ever be happy with the prospect of them winning things.

Well if you don't mind Spurs then I can totally see your point. I think Levy should be applauded for keeping a strict wage structure, and it's much better to see a club build a team without having 'cheat mode enabled' like Man City (who, lest we forget, were a distinctly mid to lower PL team before they had a cash injection). The trouble is, I'm not a neutral. I hate Tottenham doing well, and the fact that they are doing it with Pochettino, Wanyama and Alderweireld, that Levy employs all the usual underhanded tactics when trying to sign players, and that I know soooo many Tottenham fans (some of which are bearable, some aren't), means I can't ever be happy with the prospect of them winning things.

Pretty much this my list of teams I really hate in order is

Pompey

Spurs

Liverpool

Never want to see these three teams do well. I'd like nothing more than to see spurs team be ripped apart.

Pretty much this my list of teams I really hate in order is

Pompey

Spurs

Liverpool

Never want to see these three teams do well. I'd like nothing more than to see spurs team be ripped apart.

Pompey, Spurs, Everton, Liverpool & Man City are my hated group. I'd probably enjoy seeing City relegated more than Spurs, but would prefer City to win the league/cup than them.

If you believe that we and all other clubs do not do exactly the same thing to smaller clubs then you are very naive.

If you believe that we and all other clubs do not do exactly the same thing to smaller clubs then you are very naive.

Well I'd hope that not every club operates that way, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me. Only the big clubs have the power to leak stuff to press and use that effectively though. I'm not talking about hard bargaining either, just the intent to unsettle a player so that they push for a move before a decent offer has even materialised.

If I remember correctly, I believe Cortese tried to screw Sc*nthorpe when we approached Adkins, and to his credit Nigel refused to join under those circumstances. Of course I always want Saints to get a good deal, but that doesn't extend so far as completely bullying a smaller club out of a fair deal for them.

Well I'd hope that not every club operates that way, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me. Only the big clubs have the power to leak stuff to press and use that effectively though. I'm not talking about hard bargaining either, just the intent to unsettle a player so that they push for a move before a decent offer has even materialised.

If I remember correctly, I believe Cortese tried to screw Sc*nthorpe when we approached Adkins, and to his credit Nigel refused to join under those circumstances. Of course I always want Saints to get a good deal, but that doesn't extend so far as completely bullying a smaller club out of a fair deal for them.

yeah, i was thinking the exact same instance re. Adkins when i wrote the original reply.

It is clear, that especially with lesser clubs, we probably try and unsettle players in the same was as what is done to us. However, us unsettling a (trying to think of a young English player we have bought from the lower leagues recently, struggling....) Jack Stephens (going back a way bit for this example) type is not as media worthy as Liverpool unsettling VVD.