Jose Fonte

spyinthesky

Anyone feel a little bit sorry for him?

My feelings are neutral about him now.

The positives which were built up after his sterling service from League 1 days up until his departure last season were obliterated by his behaviour when he engineered a move away.

However his performance yesterday and the obvious poor opinion about his worth as a player by West Ham fans makes me feel a small amount of pity for him.

That said I am sure he can reflect on his winners medal with Portugal and a decent 2.5 years deal at West Ham (plus a tidy signing on fee) to compensate.

Shame really, with a bit more class about his departure he could have remained a Saints icon.

I think he will have been a little disappointed with getting a poor reception yesterday.

IMO that wasn't needed. It didn't end in the most pleasant way but he was a great captain for us and had the best years of his career here. He should have been respected by the fans.

Too many just boo every ex Saints player without giving it much thought which is a shame.

Right time to sell him though.

Too many just boo every ex Saints player.

I would venture that those who boo "every" ex-Saints player are very few rather than "many". I would also venture there are more ex-Saints players who don't/wouldn't get booked Vs those who do/would

Edited by trousers

My take on it is that he came back from the Euro's and felt he deserved a new deal and a huge wage rise, whilst we were prepared to give him a new deal it wasn't in our interests to tie him to a 3/4 year deal which I believe is what he was after. The club aren't stupid and they would have been well aware of his deteriorating statistics and the last thing we would have done is hang ourselves with a player on the decline for 3/4 more years on 70k.

West Ham were seemingly the only club willing to offer him his 3 year + deal and required wages, and they decided to give us £8m for him as well. It was a no brainer in terms of a business decision, especially given that he decided to kick up a fuss around the place as well.

I think, once again, the clubs reluctance on caving into his contract demands have been proven right and the call to let him go was also the right one. The main complaint I'd have from the whole charade is our lack of replacing him in January, that hung us out to dry for the season given that VVD then got himself injured as well - that could have been handled better. But in isolation, the decision to let Fonte go wasn't a bad one.

He'll never get a boo from me though, didn't quite get the jeering. He gave us great years and some great memories.

My take on it is that he came back from the Euro's and felt he deserved a new deal and a huge wage rise, whilst we were prepared to give him a new deal it wasn't in our interests to tie him to a 3/4 year deal which I believe is what he was after. The club aren't stupid and they would have been well aware of his deteriorating statistics and the last thing we would have done is hang ourselves with a player on the decline for 3/4 more years on 70k.

West Ham were seemingly the only club willing to offer him his 3 year + deal and required wages, and they decided to give us £8m for him as well. It was a no brainer in terms of a business decision, especially given that he decided to kick up a fuss around the place as well.

I think, once again, the clubs reluctance on caving into his contract demands have been proven right and the call to let him go was also the right one. The main complaint I'd have from the whole charade is our lack of replacing him in January, that hung us out to dry for the season given that VVD then got himself injured as well - that could have been handled better. But in isolation, the decision to let Fonte go wasn't a bad one.

He'll never get a boo from me though, didn't quite get the jeering. He gave us great years and some great memories.

That Brighton goal....

I thought it was a bit classless the way he was booed yesterday. I don't know what went on behind the scenes and I've seen some West Ham fans claiming he's an arrogant twt around their club, but I don't think either the club, Claude or Jose handled his departure, and the events leading up to it, particularly well. I was extremely proud of the guy winning the Euros after his journey with us and it was such a shame that within a month or two there was bitterness and distrust.

That side that got us two promotions gave me some of my greatest days watching the club and I hope one day in years to come they're all welcome back at the club. I remember the hostility shown towards Bally upon his City return, but that is all forgotten now, I hope it'll be the same for Jose & Lallana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My take on it is than Jose realised his stock was at its highest peak, being 32 years old and having just won the Euro's. He and/or his agent obviously saw this as the opportune moment to try and negotiate his last big pay cheque.

Basically Fonte wanted paying for a standard of football he is unlikely to provide at the age of 35. Saints weren't stupid enough to give in to his demands. West Ham it seems were. I thought they might get one decent season out of him but on the basis of yesterday's performance (and several previous for the hammers) I'm beginning to doubt that.

Being a 'legend' works both ways. You can't expect to be worshiped for your past achievements if you then sod off to a rival club for nothing other than EVEN MORE money.

He wanted to leave to west ham in last summers window.

But the club said no and he got in a strop about it as his wife wanted to move back to London.

always amuses me this "moving back to London" business.

Its Southampton ffs not Newcastle.

I know footballers aren't the sharpest but bloody hell even they can see it's not a long journey these days.

Strange really, I'm not one to boo players, and certainly not one that gave us as much as Jose did. The guy in front of me bood him but gave up after a while as he was pretty much the only one in our block that bood. I was glad to see that the boos were quite muted and pretty much died out after half time. But it did make me think what sort of reception VvD is going to get if he ever pulls on a saints shirt again. Could be very interesting.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Edited by Micky

The wife wanted to go to London. FFS, he was at the end of his career and he was the bread winner so really, I am sure she could have stuck it out in Winchester or wherever they lived, for a wee bit longer. Its not as if it a complete and utter **** hole (at least not compared to London).

As for JF - do I feel sorry for him? Simple answer is no. He is 32 or what ever, and is well able to make his own bed. As I don't know the full facts of what went on, then I am loathe to pass judgement on him. From the outside it looks like he rather misread his worth and appeal to other clubs, but I have no idea how true it is that he thought that he was destined for Old Trafford.

But then I am not a complete and utter heartless bastard and do feel a little something that he has discovered that the grass isn't quite as green in the big smoke as it is at Saints.

I wouldn't boo him. I'd laugh at him because, in footballing terms, he's taken a step back.

Yes he's earning x times more than he was here, but he's playing in a weaker team, with weaker players alongside him and are more likely to get relegated than challenge for Europe.

Boo him? No. Pity him (in a footballing sense)? Yes

always amuses me this "moving back to London" business.

Its Southampton ffs not Newcastle.

I know footballers aren't the sharpest but bloody hell even they can see it's not a long journey these days.

Show some compassion for the poor girl FFS. You can't expect someone to drive for almost an hour in a brand new Bentley.

Was a fab player for us was classless to boo imo.

If your wife left you after 7 years for some bloke with more money, would you be thanking her for 7 years of great memories?

Was a big fan of his and was so chuffed for him at the Euros, but he let us down upon his return.

Shame the way in ended, but he's now a shadow of his Saints days and in hindsight the club did well to move him on.

Pretty much sums it up.

I think we all know he wanted a move to Manchester United, and didn't set out to go to West Ham, but daft bugger through his agent and new found post Euros attitude burnt the bridges himself, so I can't feel sorry for him how its gone at his new club.

Despite that, I didn't boo him yesterday as he was had been such an integral part of our recent success. Just satisfied we obviously had seven years great service and got the better of the deal on his departure.

"Feel sorry for him" is a bit silly really, but showing him some respect is an entirely different thing. **** sake, Mane didn't get booed, Clynne doesn't . Ricky Lambert had us singing a song when he came on to try and score against us. He's a guy who stepped down a level to play for us, played a massive part in 2 promotions & won the Euros as a Saints player. We didn't boo all ex players yesterday, just the one that actually stayed a while and did a ****ing good job, the one passing through on loan,get clapped off. Pathetic .

Was a fab player for us was classless to boo imo.

WAS a fab player, yes. Whatever the fallout, reckon his WH performances show we did the right thing shipping him out. His neck-high grapple on Davis was classless if we're using that word!

"Feel sorry for him" is a bit silly really, but showing him some respect is an entirely different thing. **** sake, Mane didn't get booed, Clynne doesn't . Ricky Lambert had us singing a song when he came on to try and score against us. He's a guy who stepped down a level to play for us, played a massive part in 2 promotions & won the Euros as a Saints player. We didn't boo all ex players yesterday, just the one that actually stayed a while and did a ****ing good job, the one passing through on loan,get clapped off. Pathetic .

It’s the way he did it. You lot love to get so emotional and rewrite history.

Stepped down a level? Yeah he did that for love certainly and Palace would have paid him more. One of life’s genuine loyal servants. Oh until he had an offer or thought he did and then behaved like a cnt. And he was captain but you lot continue your love in.

Edited by whelk

WAS a fab player, yes. Whatever the fallout, reckon his WH performances show we did the right thing shipping him out. His neck-high grapple on Davis was classless if we're using that word!

Didn’t get a yellow for that either. WH banging on about Mason but with Noble decision they got off lightly. Wrong thread I know.

Loyal servant? You're taking the **** with that one.

October 2015, he signs a contract extension

July 2016, Portugal win Euro16

Aug 2016 - Fonte says he wants to move thinking Man U want him

Jan 2017, Fonte slaps in a transfer request.

Loyalty didn't last too long, while the club showed its loyalty by extending his contract.

I want to thank the manager, Les Reed, Ralph [Krueger], Katharina [Liebherr] – all of the staff and all of the board – for showing their trust and belief in me. I am extremely happy that they are giving me this opportunity to keep being in this great club, and I hope I can give back with good performances and by helping the club move forward. This is where I feel happy and where I’ve been very successful, so this is where I want to be and where I want to win.”

It’s the way he did it. You lot love to get so emotional and rewrite history.

Stepped down a level? Yeah he did that for love certainly and Palace would have paid him more. One of life’s genuine loyal servants. Oh until he had an offer or thought he did and then behaved like a cnt. And he was captain but you lot continue your love in.

Where did I call him a "loyal servant" you clueless chump. I bet you were one of the twts giving Bally pelters when he returned with city, of course they changed their tune when he passed away. Can't find anyone now that will admit it. What's he done any different than Lambert? No doubt it's "the way he did it", Lambert's was honourable disloyalty.

Where did I call him a "loyal servant" you clueless chump. I bet you were one of the twts giving Bally pelters when he returned with city, of course they changed their tune when he passed away. Can't find anyone now that will admit it. What's he done any different than Lambert? No doubt it's "the way he did it", Lambert's was honourable disloyalty.

Bless. You cling on that he stepped down a level. Wow we never had someone do that. Cut from a different cloth he was.

I don’t boo cos I’m not a child but you lot are something else. fck me if you haven’t seen enough evidence of first hand behaviour at our own club over the last few years that the players think of themselves and nothing else, One kiss of the badge and you are probably fawning and posting “#class”

Booing a person when they join a rival football team but then not booing them when they die. Fancy that.

The wife wanted to go to London. FFS, he was at the end of his career and he was the bread winner so really, I am sure she could have stuck it out in Winchester or wherever they lived, for a wee bit longer. Its not as if it a complete and utter **** hole (at least not compared to London).

As for JF - do I feel sorry for him? Simple answer is no. He is 32 or what ever, and is well able to make his own bed. As I don't know the full facts of what went on, then I am loathe to pass judgement on him. From the outside it looks like he rather misread his worth and appeal to other clubs, but I have no idea how true it is that he thought that he was destined for Old Trafford.

But then I am not a complete and utter heartless bastard and do feel a little something that he has discovered that the grass isn't quite as green in the big smoke as it is at Saints.

Bit of a generalisation there! Some (myself included) would argue it's one of the best cities in the world, with plenty of nice bits.

Think we got the best years out of him would be interesting to know how many penalties he has given away since he has at Wham.

According to disgruntled Kumb forum members its 5 in half a season + yesterday's match which is a genuine LOL stat if true.

Bit of a generalisation there! Some (myself included) would argue it's one of the best cities in the world, with plenty of nice bits.

I lived there for far too long - I think I managed 16 years or so. It wasn't a **** hole when I moved there. It was by the time I left.

I lived there for far too long - I think I managed 16 years or so. It wasn't a **** hole when I moved there. It was by the time I left.

Well I'm still here, in my 12th year, and I can confirm there are still lots of areas I would consider decidedly unsh1tholey - plenty of which I'll never afford to live in! And considering I grew up in Winchester, apparently the best place to live in the UK, it can't just be that I'm easily pleased :-)

(Of course there are plenty of annoying things about London, but lots of amazing things too, guess it just depends how much impact these various things have on you. I expect I'll reach the stage where the cons outweigh the pros for my life, but not to the extent I'll write the city off completely. The UK in general on the other hand...)

It’s pantomime you soppy tw ats. Don’t feel sorry for him a bit and would love them to go down with their free stadium

Oh no it isn't!

"He's behind you..."

As the crowd all called to Stephen Davis just before they conceded the penalty

According to disgruntled Kumb forum members its 5 in half a season + yesterday's match which is a genuine LOL stat if true.

Thing is, he had so many "he got away with that" or "seen them given!" moments for us, I'm not totally surprised his luck has run out!

Thing is, he had so many "he got away with that" or "seen them given!" moments for us, I'm not totally surprised his luck has run out!

Think he had a few given against us as well, and he was 'outed'as a 'shirtpuller' after we got back in the Premiership. (Arsenal away springs to mind).