Jose Fonte

spyinthesky

He must be gutted (but at the same time happy with his bank balance). Could have been so different if he hadn't returned from the EURO all billy big balls. We'd have had a better chance in the Europa, and better chance in the cup final. He could then have left (or not) in the summer.

If I employed somebody to go our on my behalf and look for new jobs that would pay me more than my existing employer, and moved jobs whenever I could earn more, I would have little to look back on with any degree of pride or satisfaction at the end of my career.

If I employed somebody to go our on my behalf and look for new jobs that would pay me more than my existing employer, and moved jobs whenever I could earn more, I would have little to look back on with any degree of pride or satisfaction at the end of my career.

I think Fonte's already got quite a lot to look back on.

I think he will have been a little disappointed with getting a poor reception yesterday.

IMO that wasn't needed. It didn't end in the most pleasant way but he was a great captain for us and had the best years of his career here. He should have been respected by the fans.

Too manyjust boo every ex Saints player without giving it much thought which is a shame.

Right time to sell him though.

Antonio wasn't booed at all, in fact he was given a decent reception when he was subbed off

Booing was out of order really, he served us well. Maya did him a favour by getting injured at the Confederations cup, as Loren had been brought in partner Yoshida by Poch, Fonte saw the writing on the wall and dug deep within himself and gave himself and us few more good years, winning the Euros at the end of it all. In these days when players are wired up to satellites to monitor their performances, just like Lambert in his last season any fan, as much as it hurt, could see that the peak had been hit and the journey down the other side had begun.

in reality on Saturday we should have been applauding him, as his shenanigans last summer saved the club from having to tell a loyal servant of the club that his days with us were at an end. Even more so for the fact that we bought him for £1.2m in 2010 and sold him with plenty of miles on the clock 8 years later for £8m. Pretty damn fine bit of business when you consider some of the players we have bought over the years for good money at the time, and just slide away for nothing.

And cheers for the penalty he gifted us, in getting done by a player only a year younger than himself...priceless!

roken glass for the job.' and 'Its the job ive wanted snce I hung up my boots.'

Where did I call him a "loyal servant" you clueless chump. I bet you were one of the twts giving Bally pelters when he returned with city, of course they changed their tune when he passed away. Can't find anyone now that will admit it. What's he done any different than Lambert? No doubt it's "the way he did it", Lambert's was honourable disloyalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hold my hand up to that. Ballys quotes at the time of 'I would crawl over broken glass for the City job' and Its the job I wanted since I hung up my boots' were class less and at the time caused a lot of resentment.

He didn't leave with any grace and as someone who believes loyalty is very important, I wasn't prepared to accept it.

He was a great player and he was superb for us, he got the best out of MLT but to not know that City had to win on the last day to stay up was a joke. (for those who are too young to know, It was either to be Saints or Man City to go down on the last day of the season. We played out a tense 0-0 draw and City were at home to Liverpool. City went 2-0 down and pulled it back to 2 all andLiverpool were there for the taking. Bally thought a draw was enough and sent the message out to the team to take the draw and so be less attacking. It then dawned on them that they needed to win and so he then got them to attack and they so nearly got the winner. Those vital minutes saved us form relegation)

Fonte was greedy and chased the cash. Most of us do when presented with a chance of earning more. However, he let us down in January by causing trouble and that I and many others feel disappointed over. He is part of our past, I don't feel sorry for people who show disloyalty mid season and are happy to leave us with problems pre cup final.

Fonte was greedy and chased the cash. Most of us do when presented with a chance of earning more. However, he let us down in January by causing trouble and that I and many others feel disappointed over. He is part of our past, I don't feel sorry for people who show disloyalty mid season and are happy to leave us with problems pre cup final.

that is if you take what the club says as gospel.

we manage people out of the club very well (on most parts)

that is if you take what the club says as gospel.

we manage people out of the club very well (on most parts)

Either that or we somehow manage to breed a very high percentage of greedy wannabes. Spurs have shown that you can keep players happy and motivated without paying 200k a week wages.

The club are careful with what stays in house and what is leaked and Fonte alluded to that in his multiple interviews. VVD also alluded to that during his written rant.

Three sides to every story.

In the case of Fonte he gave us 7 great years and I wish him all the best in his sideways (but better paid) move to WHU

Booing saddened me - his attitude changed after winning Euros but hardly on a par with Lallana, Lovren or even VVD. Only a small number that did it but not taking account of the L1 and Championship grounds where he made vital contributions. He did get a decent reception on his first return so the Sky post-match comments must have stirred people up a bit. Getting outpaced by Steven Davis must have hurt though!

We did outstandingly well out of the player and the deal - like Lambert, we sold a player who was fading - so time to move on.

Think he had a few given against us as well, and he was 'outed'as a 'shirtpuller' after we got back in the Premiership. (Arsenal away springs to mind).

True, but he always seemed to get away with the important ones. In fact I was only thinking on Saturday how he's suddenly getting penalised at west ham for shirtpulls, niggly tackles, obstructions, little sideways digs etc that he did all the time but never got pulled up for here. Maybe we're perceived as a clean-playing side by the refs?

People take this booing of ex players too seriously sometimes, I booed him not because he left, but because of the way he went about it. However it's all pantomime stuff, I don't hate the guy and I appreciate what he did for us, but the club were just as good for him as he was for us. He is the one who came back from the Euros and started causing problems, he made his bed so he must lie in it.

Those getting all soppy about it should know better by now that all players are just in it for themselves, there is no real affection for the club that employs them, they only care about the money.

True, but he always seemed to get away with the important ones. In fact I was only thinking on Saturday how he's suddenly getting penalised at west ham for shirtpulls, niggly tackles, obstructions, little sideways digs etc that he did all the time but never got pulled up for here. Maybe we're perceived as a clean-playing side by the refs?

He gave away two penalties for us at the start of last season. The tightening up of that rule really has done for Jose. That and knowing he hasn't got much pace anymore so he needs to keep attackers close.

From what I understand, it was in no way as cut and dry as the club would have us believe. Jose wasn't exactly professional but neither was LR.

He was ****ed off because SFC had already offered VD his captaincy, so quite clear that he was going to be shoved out the door. Not best way of treating him, on the other hand he was past his best which was never as great as some here would have us believe. Always had a big mistake in him but got away with a lot of the pull backs that are tripping him up now. Pity when it all ends in a bad way,.

"Feel sorry for him" is a bit silly really, but showing him some respect is an entirely different thing. **** sake, Mane didn't get booed, Clynne doesn't . Ricky Lambert had us singing a song when he came on to try and score against us. He's a guy who stepped down a level to play for us, played a massive part in 2 promotions & won the Euros as a Saints player. We didn't boo all ex players yesterday, just the one that actually stayed a while and did a ****ing good job, the one passing through on loan,get clapped off. Pathetic .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Respect is earned and can be lost. He lost it in the way he left the club. If he had shown us respect to the very end until he left then he would still have my respect.

From what I understand, it was in no way as cut and dry as the club would have us believe. Jose wasn't exactly professional but neither was LR.

I remember Adam Blackmore randomly saying he met Fonte on the train one day, and Jose showed him an email string from the club & hinted that the club didn't exactly handle themselves greatly all the time.

You understood your own made up assumption....?

If you don't understand the difference between the words "conjecture" and "assumption", then sure...

The word "conjecture" generally implies that based on the information and facts available to you, you come to form an opinion on a subject.

Edited by Surman4no7shirt

I booed him. I think that fact I was very drunk and the booing was really winding up with woman 3-4 rows in front of me was the main reason.

I still respect him for what he did here. But don't regret booing him. Seemed to get in his head if anything. So you can thank me later.

WHU fans love him on KUMB

"He should retire. Immediately. And pay back all money earned.

Man is a disgrace. Arrogant attitude with zero ability.

Slow, lazy, petulant. Just detest the man."

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=167190&start=260

Having read this I think it was the WHU fans that were booing him. They seem to hate him more than us. Me I was just disappointed. (God I sound like my mum)

Great player for us and we had his best years. Lots of he said she said when he left but at the end of the day - we got a great price for a player past his peak and he got a great financial deal for himself.

Booing all a bit unnecessary but equally, its football. It's a tribal thing and giving an ex player a bit of stick is part and parcel - people read a bit too much into it. If he was back in a couple of years time for a testimonial he'd be we'll received I'm sure.

• 3 months later...
David Sullivan throws Fonte under the bus in the Guardian:

“The manager said he wanted Fonte from Southampton and Snodgrass from Hull. My kids begged me not to sign them.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/08/david-sullivan-west-ham-worked-my-socks-off-not-good-enough

One of the KUMB posters thinks that the Director of Football that Sullivan thinks very highly of is Les Reed, which sort of fits.

Sullivan and his son are embarrassing though, KUMB posters are spitting blood over those comments...

One of the KUMB posters thinks that the Director of Football that Sullivan thinks very highly of is Les Reed, which sort of fits.

Sullivan and his son are embarrassing though, KUMB posters are spitting blood over those comments...

Well if it is Les this bit becomes pretty interesting...

but their squad has holes and Sullivan is thinking about hiring a director of football. After all, someone performing that role could have challenged Bilic’s training methods at an early stage. “There’s one very good one in the Premier League,” he says. “I would seriously think about taking him on in due course and I know he would come because he’s approached me.

David Sullivan throws Fonte under the bus in the Guardian:

“The manager said he wanted Fonte from Southampton and Snodgrass from Hull. My kids begged me not to sign them.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/08/david-sullivan-west-ham-worked-my-socks-off-not-good-enough

what a complete nipple this guy is. It’s not just that you signed them David it’s the fact you paid so much for the privilege that’s the really funny part.

I can't see Les wanting to work with him - though knowing Sullivan and Gold's recruitment policy it's probably Mark Allen from Rangers and he meant "Premiership".

I think for Reed it would be about a final big payday rather than the owners, he's also a Wapping boy and the opportunity of resurrecting the famous 'West Ham academy of football' might appeal to the ego. Would likely not end well regardless.

Well if it is Les this bit becomes pretty interesting...

but their squad has holes and Sullivan is thinking about hiring a director of football. After all, someone performing that role could have challenged Bilic’s training methods at an early stage. “There’s one very good one in the Premier League,” he says. “I would seriously think about taking him on in due course and I know he would come because he’s approached me.

If it's Old Les, I wonder how many other clubs he's asked for a job, without any success? As for the 'there's one very good one' bit, don't all of the other clubs above us, like Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Burnley, Watford and Leicester, have directors of football? If they do, even though they are more successful. I wouldn't know as none of them do as much self-publicising as Old Les :lol:

If it's Old Les, I wonder how many other clubs he's asked for a job, without any success? As for the 'there's one very good one' bit, don't all of the other clubs above us, like Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Burnley, Watford and Leicester, have directors of football? If they do, even though they are more successful. I wouldn't know as none of them do as much self-publicising as Old Les :lol:

Or you wouldn't know as you don't support them. Not many non Saints fans have a clue who our director of football is.

Staggers belief that a Chairman, or board member would openly criticise a player on their books at the time.

For all the flak we have dished out over the years to Askham, Lowe (especially), Wilde, Cortese, and onwards I'm pleased none of our CEO's or others have acted in the way of Dildo Brothers who really are tacky barrow boys. Christ, I may even despise Levy at Tottenham, but credit where it's due, he does conduct himself with an element of dignity (pains me to say it), and I'd prefer him to the way West Ham

are run.

Perhaps Nelly will surprise us in an online video at Christmas, saying about the recruitment of the last two summers, "well, we wasted some f^cking money there didn't we?".

• 2 months later...

it's sad how it ended with Fonte - he generally is a decent bloke (a bit arrogant, but did/does love the club), who just took some poor advice from his agent and ended up falling out with certain members of our board....

A real shame, if he'd got his head down and didn't fall for the opportunity to play for Utd nonsense, then I suspect he'd be part of our coaching staff now. As it happened he acted like a complete tit, eventually ended up at West Ham (he chose them ahead of Everton and Palace FWIW) and didn't have a top class CB (Lovren, Toby or VvD) to play along side him, which showed his vulnerabilities.

I'm almost certain he'll go into management one day, hopefully he's good at it and come back here when said board members are gone.

Didnt he state that he wanted to be closer to his family in London as one of his reasons for leaving ?

If so he does realise that China is a bloody long way from London

he left for the money pure and simple :lol:

i'm guessing here, but I do reckon the club did offer him a contract extension, but he probably wanted £80k whereas we offered something far less, and the Utd rumours clearly made him think he was far better than he genuinely is

and then obviously, he was never gonna say to WHU fans, 'I am here for the cash', thus used family as an excuse.

Good luck to him in China, can't say I'm not surprised it didn't work out for him at WHU.