Fraser Forster is he at the level we require?

Mr X

Clean sheets are not a very good indicator of a keeper's ability. A stick of rhubarb would keep a clean sheet behind a brilliant defence and midfield playing a poor attack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:lol: What is then no clean sheets at all?.... FFS some people do talk some garbage

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

How did he do against wolves?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

First goal flat footed but no defender jumped free header. Second goal bobbled past him easy to blame him but problem was before that in play losing too cheaply.

I was surprised McCarthy didn't play considering he needs game time after injury.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agree McCarthy could have played. Maybe with only one U23 game under his belt he wasn't deemed ready.

It's not like he has to be extra fit, he's only a goal keeper. I was staggered he didn't play last night to be honest. Now we've got no cup games until the new year, so we won't see him until then.

First goal flat footed but no defender jumped free header. Second goal bobbled past him easy to blame him but problem was before that in play losing too cheaply.

I was surprised McCarthy didn't play considering he needs game time after injury.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I try not to join in with criticism of Fraser

However I think he should have done better with the second goal

I reckon he thought the game was over at this stage and went in half hearted with his challenge using his legs not his body to smother the ball

Poor effort in an overall extremely disappointing team performance (Yoshi and Romeu excepted)

For what it is worth from an ex Goalie on Forster.

Let me give you an anlysis of his attributes as follows:

1. Reading of the game

Good goalies are constantly analysing the play and tring to anticipate. This allows them to be in position quicker to deal with any situation.This is particular true in determining when to come off your line for both crosses or to intercept a through ball. Forster is very weak at this. Last night was a good example in the first half where he hesitated and only lousy finishing avoided an emabarrsing gooal.

2. Bravery

We all know that good goalies are a little nuts. It takes courage to dive in or come for crosses where you are likely to get hit. I remember Shilton diving in head first to prevent a shot with his fist as the player was about to shoot on the ground. You never see that now.Forster never even goes in with his feet !!

Shot Stopping

The most glamorous and athletic part of goalkeeping. To be athletic in this regard requires agile feet and hands to stop longer range shots on both the ground and air. His height is a disadvantage on ground shots but he is not that athletic in the air either. He has no spring. No obvious agility

Reflexes,

His reactions are good that require a reflex response but not where anticipation is required

Communication

A good goalie has to command the box and inspire defenders so that they feel confident in him. I do not get that impression he is inspirational. More a gentle giant in fact.

Distribution

A modern goalie can break up play and initiate attacks. In this respect I think Forster has improved.

Conclusions

I believe that Forster has regressed and is either not receiving adequate coaching to improve his skills and therefore his confidence or he has plateaued. In any event at the moment I do not think he is average Premier League and we could do better both in coiaching and in players at this level.

No...not good enough for this level. Not sure what his strengths are to put it another way. Gazza got better...Forster has not improved much if at all.

Are you seriously trying to compare Forster with Gazzaniga? Gianluigi Buffon hasn't improved much over the last few years but that doesn't make him a poor goalkeeper (and I am in no way comparing Forster with Buffon!)

Interesting analysis by Goalie66, but I think you've missed one area. Forster, IMO, has never recovered his form he had prior to getting injured. I would not only look at changing the coaching as you suggested, but also consider whether he should seek help from a sports psychologist. I wonder if mentally he has fully recovered form his injury.

Interesting analysis by Goalie66, but I think you've missed one area. Forster, IMO, has never recovered his form he had prior to getting injured.

I would not only look at changing the coaching as you suggested, but also consider whether he should seek help from a sports psychologist.

I wonder if mentally he has fully recovered form his injury.

This could be an excellent idea but as FF insists that he only listens to 5 other people would he actually listen to, absorb and

act upon any advice? I somehow suspect not as some PL players let their ego be a massive obstruction to constructive criticism.

See we had another Fraser fumble yesterday, spilling a cross he looked to have gathered whilst under no particular pressure from a Huddersfield player. Hardly a game passes without some mishap or other. Got away with it yesterday.

Despite this he remains a regular selection without being challenged. Big mistake not upgrading in the GK dept this summer, even if only a more reliable deputy to compete for the position.

See we had another Fraser fumble yesterday, spilling a cross he looked to have gathered whilst under no particular pressure from a Huddersfield player. Hardly a game passes without some mishap or other. Got away with it yesterday.

Despite this he remains a regular selection without being challenged. Big mistake not upgrading in the GK dept this summer, even if only a more reliable deputy to compete for the position.

This time last year Forster dropped out of the England squad injured and was replaced by fellow saints keeper Alex McCarthy , I think Les Reed said at the time both of them should be aiming to go to Russia for the World Cup, I hope they've applied for tickets as neither of them will be getting back in the England squad before then.

Clean sheets are not a very good indicator of a keeper's ability. A stick of rhubarb would keep a clean sheet behind a brilliant defence and midfield playing a poor attack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But I thought our centre backs were supposed to not be premier league quality.

Mirror described him as "imperious" yesterday. Every minor error is being pounced on by some, but he is still a quality keeper, and the stats don't lie, a clean sheet is a win for him, and he gets a lot of them.

‘‘Tis the problem I now have with Redmond. Once looking out for them hard not to negatively judge all the time.