Been great so far.

Pilchards

Got two great 1st team players in which is nice.

The question I want to ask is, Do we need one more?

Me personally says that Long is not that striker who can get you goals off the bench so I will say yes one more.

A striker/winger in the mode of Mane will give us the best transfer window ever and a chance to break into Europe again.

Me personally says that Long is not that striker who can get you goals off the bench so I will say yes one more.

A striker/winger in the mode of Mane will give us the best transfer window ever and a chance to break into Europe again.

Gut feeling is that there's an attacker incoming. The club have made two impressive signings but neither address the biggest problem we had last season - converting chances.

It just feels as though we mean business this summer - and with JRod leaving and Sam going out on loan again - the stage is set for us to complete a great window (I hope!)

I still think Long has something to offer. He pulls defences around and creates space for players that actually know where the net is, and we don't have any other players that can do that job (Redmond is the next best thing). We all know that he'll run all day. The question for Shane's future is whether or not MP thinks that's a valuable asset that he can utilise; if he's not planning on playing to Long's strengths and playing him along with Gabbi/Austin then he could find himself on the bench, out of the squad, or off to someone like Bournemouth/Watford.

Personally I'd keep him but it depends on if we get a new forward player in.

Bit early to say we have two great 1st team players in yet. Not saying they won't be but neither of them have even played a full 90 in a saints shirt. Last season everyone thought Hoj looked decent and Boufal was going to be great and both ended up disappointing. Lets just let the new guys get a few games under their belts before we judge them one way or another.

I still think Long has something to offer. He pulls defences around and creates space for players that actually know where the net is, and we don't have any other players that can do that job (Redmond is the next best thing). We all know that he'll run all day. The question for Shane's future is whether or not MP thinks that's a valuable asset that he can utilise; if he's not planning on playing to Long's strengths and playing him along with Gabbi/Austin then he could find himself on the bench, out of the squad, or off to someone like Bournemouth/Watford.

Personally I'd keep him but it depends on if we get a new forward player in.

Long offers something if we set up to play on the counter but that's about it he isn't very effective if he has to work in a crowded opposition box or needs to hold up the ball and bring others into play.

I suspect Long, Clasie, Gazza might go before the end of the window and we get another attacker in. Long will want more football I reckon. I doubt we can give Gardos away.

It'll also be interesting to see what happens with PEH as he hasn't even made the bench for the first two games and seems massively out of favour. Might be another that leaves, maybe on loan.

Kreuger seemed to indicate that we were getting more than just one player in and several of the ITKs have said we are after an attacker.

A quality striker in, and JWP out would cap off a great window and really get the fans excited for the season.

You started well.....getting rid of JWP is nonsense. On the positive we are planning to get a striker in.

A quality striker in, and JWP out would cap off a great window and really get the fans excited for the season.

I would suggest, that given you had tried this on a couple of threads now, that you are trolling. Or do you claim to have more knowledge than the England coaches, and successive Saints managers.

Why are you posting this **** about JWP on three separate threads?

Are you just wanting people to respond? Not even going to address the JWP comment.

It's this dumb **** that clogs up this forum. People don't even care about football anymore, they just want to waste their ****ing time and others by getting people to respond to straw man arguments.

****ing pathetic.

Are you just wanting people to respond?.

Yes. It's working quite well so far...

(Just don't tell the mods... They can be a bit trigger happy when it comes to banning obvious WUMs... ;) )

Edited by trousers

A direct and pacy attacker, not necessarily a striker, would complete a well balanced squad. Someone in the mould of Antonio would suit very well as we are still a bit short on height.

That said, can see quite a few squad players being frustrated with lack of game time this season - especially if we carry 6 CBs or sign another forward and keep Long.

Yes. It's working quite well so far...

To the JWP comment its not. It's just abuse directed at him. I'm completely fine with that. Actually quite enjoy it once in a while.

What ****es me off more is when people genuinely try to post a big ****ing post like 'JWP has been our star performer, here are the stats, in which games etc.'

Like they want to address the comment itself.

A direct and pacy attacker, not necessarily a striker, would complete a well balanced squad. Someone in the mould of Antonio would suit very well as we are still a bit short on height.

That said, can see quite a few squad players being frustrated with lack of game time this season - especially if we carry 6 CBs or sign another forward and keep Long.

Would that be the same Antonio that people on here kept telling us would never be good enough for the championship let alone the PL....

Would that be the same Antonio that people on here kept telling us would never be good enough for the championship let alone the PL....

Only some people! Some of us were gutted when we couldn't sign him after his loan. A really good player IMO.

I think that we have done great business in defence. When you look at our defence, probably only Spurs, Man Utd and Everton can say that they have a better back 6 than us. But the back of the team is the end that can be sorted on the cheap, in line with our business model.

Sorting out the attacking third is far more difficult and expensive. We are a very nice attacking team, with neat passers, a bit of speed in some places, slightly tricky, but no power or nastiness. If a team sits deep, we will struggle. That is borne out by our poor goals scored record last season. Season before that, with Mane and Pelle, we scored a lot more. Mane was a special player and Pelle, although statuesque, was not easily pushed around. We could play in different ways. That is the element that really needs sorting for us to have a chance of moving into the top 7, in my opinion. But when you see players like Chris Wood, who would fit that type of player, going for 15-18 million, you can see how difficult it will for us to find that person. Hopefully Sam Gallagher comes back from Birmingham next season and can be that player for us.

Gabbi is obviously great, but the ball just doesn't stick when it gets in the final 3rd. We really miss a Pelle/Lambert style player who has to be double marked, keeps the ball in the area giving space and time to others to come forward.

I was hoping Gallagher would be that player.

If we get VVD back playing I believe our back 5 plus Romeu in front is an excellent defensive set up, so pressure on the attacking side of our team to create and score the goals needed.

This is dependent on VvD actually wanting to reintegrate and from what I understand, as it stands today, he has no desire to do that. Who knows, Hoedt may change that but are they not both Left side CB's?....

Have heard Loic Remy mentioned if other targets fail.

This is dependent on VvD actually wanting to reintegrate and from what I understand, as it stands today, he has no desire to do that. Who knows, Hoedt may change that but are they not both Left side CB's?....

Have heard Loic Remy mentioned if other targets fail.

What else is he going to do if he is still here next Friday?