Saints 1st team player data/stats from Hoedt video

mcbendy

The 'behind the scenes' video featured a whiteboard with player physical performance stats. I love a bit of data so I typed it up into a spreadsheet. The numbers in the bottom right hand corner were only visible on a wide shot so there is a little bit of uncertainty about these. Some interesting numbers though...

Interesting to see how some players (e.g. Boufal) are seriously rapid in sprints up to 30m but that doesn't translate into top speed. Long is rapid in sprints and and also has a high top speed. Virgil is a freak in a good way. The bodyfat scores are interesting too. Overall it makes for interesting reading. I can sort it in various ways for ease of comparison - just ask. I have no idea how to attach an image to a forum post - can anyone enlighten me?

Note that for the yo-yo test a high score is 'good'.

Romeu easily our slowest player, then!

(Also, I know you said that VVD is a freak in a good way, but I think you've sneaked in a 5 too many there somewhere)

Interestingly (well I think so anyway) the forum's current whipping boy and ponderously slow James Ward-Prowse's stats appear to be better than Romeu. Funny how people see what they want to see.

Interestingly (well I think so anyway) the forum's current whipping boy and ponderously slow James Ward-Prowse's stats appear to be better than Romeu. Funny how people see what they want to see.

I don't think many people would be surprised at Romeu's lack of speed. But he plays in a holding position, whereas JWP plays in a position where he has to buzz around and cover a lot of ground, and sometimes gets in wide positions where he might be required to beat someone. This is when his lack of pace is glaring, as I'm sure it would be if Romeu suddenly found himself on the right wing!

Edit: Also, looking at the stats again, he is one of the slowest in most categories, so actually maybe people are "seeing" reality; being faster than Romeu doesn't mean he's fast.

Edited by mrfahaji

Isn't that column in metres/sec making him the fastest?

The person who has travelled the most metres in 1 second has run the fastest, i.e. m/s is a measure of speed, not time.

That being said, does Austin really have a higher top speed than Shane Long...?

Edited by mrfahaji

Interesting. Rodriguez wasn't at all slow, nor is JWP (but why doesn't this show in games?) and while Gardos is pretty much the slowest he can still do the hundred in just under 11 seconds which makes him bloody damn rapid. The figures are pretty much all close together which does show that the saying 'fine margins' has something to it. It does also smack somewhat of there being some form of working out how physically adept a child will be from an early age and concentrating on them rather than anything else. I'd like to see if the less physically able, but more footballing-adept (e.g. SRL) can get into this set-up or if they're excluded because they're not physical 'beasts'. I wonder how much of this is training and how much genetics. Any of those who coach know?

Thats brilliant, considering most oppos would pay oodles of money to someone acquiring that sort of information, you just did yourself out a 2 week holiday in the Maldives flying first class in your eagerness to post on here.................. That said you would have been rowing back from there as during your 2 weeks away whoever you sold it to would have worked out that it was bum info.

Probably just get a late night knock on the door from some lads what Uncle Les knows, after they spent 3hours setting that shot up, only for some smartypants to read and fritter away a few hours in excel and post it on a fans website, when they hoped they could dupe Wolves and Huddersfield at least....... and just maybe Watford too. :D

Interesting. Rodriguez wasn't at all slow, nor is JWP (but why doesn't this show in games?) and while Gardos is pretty much the slowest he can still do the hundred in just under 11 seconds which makes him bloody damn rapid. The figures are pretty much all close together which does show that the saying 'fine margins' has something to it. It does also smack somewhat of there being some form of working out how physically adept a child will be from an early age and concentrating on them rather than anything else. I'd like to see if the less physically able, but more footballing-adept (e.g. SRL) can get into this set-up or if they're excluded because they're not physical 'beasts'. I wonder how much of this is training and how much genetics. Any of those who coach know?

Probably a stretch to infer from those figures that Gardos could keep up his max speed over a full 100 metres.

If we give him the average 30m sprint time of our squad (3.95 secs, and giving him this is generous) and then assume he is at and can maintain his top speed of 8.9 m/s for the remaining 70m (a very very generous assumption) then his 100m sprint time would be 11.8 seconds.

If we take Shane Long's 30m sprint time (3.64) and assume that he can cover the remaining 70m maintaining his top speed of 9.85 m/s then his 100m sprint time would be 10.75 seconds. I could believe that Shane might be somewhere in the region of 11 seconds. Gardos is probably over 13 seconds for the 100m...

I don't think many people would be surprised at Romeu's lack of speed. But he plays in a holding position, whereas JWP plays in a position where he has to buzz around and cover a lot of ground, and sometimes gets in wide positions where he might be required to beat someone. This is when his lack of pace is glaring, as I'm sure it would be if Romeu suddenly found himself on the right wing!

Edit: Also, looking at the stats again, he is one of the slowest in most categories, so actually maybe people are "seeing" reality; being faster than Romeu doesn't mean he's fast.

Interesting stats but they're probably best used as a measure of the individuals general fitness and improvement over a period of time rather than a comparison between players. There's so much you can't tell from these stats. Harder to judge anticipation, decision making, reactions etc etc and these are the things that make a player good or bad - not fitness, although obviously they do need to have that as well.

Thats brilliant, considering most oppos would pay oodles of money to someone acquiring that sort of information, you just did yourself out a 2 week holiday in the Maldives flying first class in your eagerness to post on here.................. That said you would have been rowing back from there as during your 2 weeks away whoever you sold it to would have worked out that it was bum info.

Probably just get a late night knock on the door from some lads what Uncle Les knows, after they spent 3hours setting that shot up, only for some smartypants to read and fritter away a few hours in excel and post it on a fans website, when they hoped they could dupe Wolves and Huddersfield at least....... and just maybe Watford too. :D

I hope no one loses their job in the PR team, and tbh thinking about it- how much does it really help an opposition team if they know how fast our players are given that it is all pretty damn marginal anyway :rolleyes:

Interesting stats but they're probably best used as a measure of the individuals general fitness and improvement over a period of time rather than a comparison between players. There's so much you can't tell from these stats. Harder to judge anticipation, decision making, reactions etc etc and these are the things that make a player good or bad - not fitness, although obviously they do need to have that as well.

Spot on.

Agreed, I wasn't trying to draw many conclusions myself, more disputing the original claim from Faz that the stats "show that JWP isn't slow".

If we give him the average 30m sprint time of our squad (3.95 secs, and giving him this is generous) and then assume he is at and can maintain his top speed of 8.9 m/s for the remaining 70m (a very very generous assumption) then his 100m sprint time would be 11.8 seconds.

If we take Shane Long's 30m sprint time (3.64) and assume that he can cover the remaining 70m maintaining his top speed of 9.85 m/s then his 100m sprint time would be 10.75 seconds. I could believe that Shane might be somewhere in the region of 11 seconds. Gardos is probably over 13 seconds for the 100m...

Yep, even that is being optimistic - 100m is a deceptively long way to maintain max speed! A friend of mine was one of the fastest in the county in his mid/late teens over 100m and clocked a best time of 10.74s. Footballers are obviously extremely fit, and most have a bit of pace, but there's a big difference between them and those who compete at athletics events. You might get a couple who could dip under 11s, but most of the supposedly "rapid" players would probably be between 11s and 12s.

Thank you. I stand corrected. In that case I could probably have matched Gardos and many of the people I knew could beat Shane Long, so they're not that fast. Annoyingly, some of the fastest smoked like chimneys too.

Thank you. I stand corrected. In that case I could probably have matched Gardos and many of the people I knew could beat Shane Long, so they're not that fast. Annoyingly, some of the fastest smoked like chimneys too.

Do you know lots of Olympic-level sprinters then? 11s is ridiculously fast, and if loads of your mates claim they could run less than that, I suspect they were either serious athletes, many of them are either bullsh1tting or (incorrectly) guessing. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, my mate's best time was 10.74s, which he achieved coming second in a county (or may have been national) athletics meet, and he was probably the fastest player in the entire Southampton league for our age group. If Shane Long can do 100m in 11 seconds, it proves, not disproves, he is rapid.

I think some people are getting mixed up 100m times in seconds, and measured speed in metres per second! Gardos is one of the slowest (relatively speaking) there.

My school time in year 10 was 12.96secs, and I wasn't anywhere near the fastest in the year. :(