Huddersfield 0 Saints 0 - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

Same as last season, a chronic lack of goals. We have the forwards to score them in Gabbi and Charlie but 1) they need to be picked TOGETHER and 2) they need support.

Cannot see why we bother picking the same old players that offer next to no goal threat, why? It's boring the heck out of everyone.

We look mid table so let's at least have a bit of fun eh? It's supposed to be entertainment.

BTW well done the Terriers, keep up that spirit and they should be fine for at least another prem season.

players looked quite lethargic and uncreative going forwards.. couple of great runs by gabbiadini but no one seems to have the brains to use his great movement redmond not putting him through was very frustrating. thought mario looked quality today great energy and even looked pretty decent furter forward.

quite shocked by mps substitiutions, gabby and mario two of our best players today and both got subbed. why does boufal never get a look in even though tadic and redmond are playing poorly ?

players looked quite lethargic and uncreative going forwards.. couple of great runs by gabbiadini but no one seems to have the brains to use his great movement redmond not putting him through was very frustrating. thought mario looked quality today great energy and even looked pretty decent furter forward.

quite shocked by mps substitiutions, gabby and mario two of our best players today and both got subbed. why does boufal never get a look in even though tadic and redmond are playing poorly ?

But after the subs we applied our best pressure and made several chances. So for me they were good subs. McQueen was lively, long was a different problem for them and JWP played some nice balls as well as getting I to the box himself.

Maybe Redmond should have come off I stead of Gabbi, but Redmond did have a decent shot near the end.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Never sniff at a point away from home in the Premier League. Today also goes to show how big a factor momentum is in the game. We started well, had chances to quiet them down, didn't take them, felt the force of a team on a massive high for the next 60-70 minutes, and spent the last 10 minutes smelling blood and actually playing with a bit of intent.

A few points from today:

- Yoshida was excellent, and Lemina had a good first half. Not sure moving him forward in the second worked, but he even did ok there too. A big reason to be positive.

- Bertrand has been going through the motions since about half way through last season. Today was one of the most glaring examples.

- Gabbiadini is not a bad footballer, nor is Tadic. Redmond is debatable (!) but he has his moments too. I think it's a bit simplistic to suggest the reason we are struggling is because they're not pulling their weight. When we set up as we do, they are all isolated and barely get the ball. Tadic was anonymous after about 10 minutes, but he's never exactly been known for putting himself about. If we got forward quickly and made an effort to get the ball to him, he'd probably do something with it. Instead we expect him to assert himself on a game that isn't running for him. That's never going to happen unfortunately, and I feel the blame lies as much with the manager of not seeing that than the player for not changing his habits of a lifetime.

- Ward-Prowse played with a bit of purpose when he came on. Sure, he still did some simple things badly, which is frustrating, but if we're going to play a style of football with no real strategy other than playing sideways passes like we did under Puel (except less incisive than Puel's away matches), perhaps we should start JWP on the right instead of Tadic for a while.

- Redmond. Dear me, not sure if it's worse to be anonymous like Tadic or to be "quiet with a few fking terrible moments" like Redmond. So many moments, but a few: Tadic ends up on the left and is behind the full back. Instead of playing him in, Redmond turns in side and plays a 5 yard pass. The move eventually breaks down. Gabbiadini has got the other side of the defender, Redmond could slide him in... shoots, and it's crap. Gabbiadini flicks ball past defender and has ball on left at the byline - needs support, Redmond is walking about 20 yards behind play disinterested - a left winger not getting involved with an attack on the left wing. Plus the countless times he allows the defender to nick the ball away from him with his back to goal. Stupid push (on Mooy?) at end of first half too.

- As others have said, perhaps today was a game for Long to play more of a part. Give him one chance to beat someone or score, he'll probably mess it up. But his directness might have led to a few more chances today, and he actually created two of our best chances with smart crosses.

- Maybe today wasn't the game for Boufal, but I'm not sure how much worse he can do than Redmond, especially if JWP is on the right. He might overplay but at least he actually tries to beat his man once in a while and also knows where the net is.

Although I think today's game may have suited different personnel, I think our style is going to regularly result in disgruntlement with our forward players, whoever they may be on that day. And we have such a variety of clearly talented (at some things) attackers that there must be more to it that individual defeciencies.

Edited by mrfahaji

Tadic should not be anywhere near the starting line-up we are desperate for a creative midfield player and a 20 goal a season striker.

Yeah why haven't we signed Eriksen and Kane? Or Silva and Aguero? Or Sigurdsson and Lukaku? Pathetic from our board.

Tadic should not be anywhere near the starting line-up we are desperate for a creative midfield player and a 20 goal a season striker.

Tadic is really starting to annoy me. Skilful but just no urgency about him. When Gabbiadini had that shot which went straight at the keeper today Tadic was well placed for a simple ball and a far easier chance with no defender near him (as opposed to Gabi who had a defender right in front and was hurt by him trying to block the shot). You could argue Gabi should have seen him - perhaps he did and ignored him - but Tadic a/didn't look as if he was screaming for the pass and b/didn't look ****ed off when he didn't get it (no arms in the air or demonstrating with Gabi). No killer instinct.

We've sold Pele and Mane who are the best goal makers and goal scorers of the last several years and then when we don't score goals, we sack the manager. Now we still can't score, the next manager must be hoping for a sensible signing in the last window week, or he will get the chop as well. Bring in a goal poacher, pleeeeeeeeeeeese

We've sold Pele and Mane who are the best goal makers and goal scorers of the last several years and then when we don't score goals, we sack the manager. Now we still can't score, the next manager must be hoping for a sensible signing in the last window week, or he will get the chop as well. Bring in a goal poacher, pleeeeeeeeeeeese

We've got a goal poacher in Austin: shame the rest of his game is bang average.

Sounds like we have a serious attitude/team spirit problem, probably because of our stance on keeping VVD, Bertrand and Cedric. Sounds like this is sweeping the team. Oh well. At least we didn't lose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

would like to give this a try for next game.

lemina romeau

davis ward prouse . boufal

gabbi

think davis and ward prouse at least provide a bit of creativity to try and unlock defenses and hopefully spot the great movement of gabby. could switch the 2 up if its not working and have davis as the am and prousy outside for his delivery.

not a fan of redmond, lightweight, bad decision making and not even that exciting for a player with his speedy attributes. would like to see boufal get his chance.

Anyone who thinks we're any better than we were last season is deluded. Bang average today, as we have been all season.

OR, Cedric & Stephens have regressed since last season . Bertrand , who of course was shiete the end of last season because of Puel, was disgraceful today. Redmond poor, Davo shocking & Gabby average. Yoshida head & shoulders above the rest. Brave new dawn, is a ****ing damp squib. What on earth have we gained by sacking Claude?

On the plus side, what a great trip. Incredibly friendly locals, cheap decent ale. Shame the football ****ed it up.

It doesn't really matter about winning and losing. The point is, his press conferences are more exciting and the football is slightly less conservative...So that's like winning to us, right?

Standard quotes from the Puel lovers ..

Pellegrino >*1000 Puel anyways.

Agree with comparisons to last season this team is bang average. Doesn't matter who you get in as manager our midfield / forwards are toilet!

Squad needs a overhaul drastically we are crying out for creativity. Shoot me down all you want all call me a bedwetter I seriously think the below players are either to lightweight / to inconsistent or just do not contribute anything to the team. (Goals, Assists)

Davis, Ward Prowse, Redmond, Tadic, Clasie, Austin

Yes our football last season at times was dull. However Puel did OK considering the rubbish he had to work with......

Anyone who thinks we're any better than we were last season is deluded. Bang average today, as we have been all season.

OR, Cedric & Stephens have regressed since last season . Bertrand , who of course was shiete the end of last season because of Puel, was disgraceful today. Redmond poor, Davo shocking & Gabby average. Yoshida head & shoulders above the rest. Brave new dawn, is a ****ing damp squib. What on earth have we gained by sacking Claude?

On the plus side, what a great trip. Incredibly friendly locals, cheap decent ale. Shame the football ****ed it up.

What have we gained? A bunch of Puel bedwetters. The club decided he wasnt right and wouldn't play how they wanted him to despite asking him to so they changed him. If you refused what your boss asked you would too.

Now every game we have a bunch who cant get over the fact he has gone boo fckin hoo.

Is Pellegrino the right man....not sure yet but unlike you not writing him off after 4 games.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

would like to give this a try for next game.

lemina romeau

davis ward prouse . boufal

gabbi

think davis and ward prouse at least provide a bit of creativity to try and unlock defenses and hopefully spot the great movement of gabby. could switch the 2 up if its not working and have davis as the am and prousy outside for his delivery.

not a fan of redmond, lightweight, bad decision making and not even that exciting for a player with his speedy attributes. would like to see boufal get his chance.

Garbage that Davis and jwp are creative. Those in the same team are a disaster. Least creative players we have.

I think the biggest problem with our team is that our midfield is just too slow (since Puel).

I think we have to always play Romeu plus one of Davis/JWP (never both). They are all slow, so, unless we buy faster versions of them, we need quick (thinking as well as running, so not Redmond) players next to them to support Gabbi. I think Lemina will be great and I'm sure Gabbi can score loads of goals if he gets support.

Based on our current (not on strike) squad,. I'd play the following team (back-ups in brackets):

-----------------------------McCarthy---------------------------

-----------------------------(Forster)---------------------------

Cedric-------------Stephens---------Hoedt-----------Bertrand

(Stephens)-------(Yoshida)--------(Yoshida)--------(Targett)

-----------------------------Romeu------------------------------

----------------------------(Lemina)-----------------------------

--------------Davis------------------------Lemina---------------

-------------(JWP)-------------------------(PEH)----------------

---------Long-------------------------------------McQueen-----

--(Boufal/Gabbiadini)----------------------(Tadic/Redmond)--

-----------------------------Gabbiadini--------------------------

---------------------------(Austin/Long)------------------------

It doesn't really matter about winning and losing. The point is, his press conferences are more exciting and the football is slightly less conservative...So that's like winning to us, right?

I constantly said last season that the players were the issue, not the manager.

Against 10 men. The football has been as woeful as last season and anyone who pretends otherwise is kidding themselves

Not really sure what that's got to do with it, we played our best stuff and went 2-0 11 v 11.

Stupid throw away, but always a deserved win.

Please MP, drop Tadic and Redmond for Boufal and Long. I can't take much more of the former two.

Long changed the complexion of the game today and he think he could really help create space and opportunities for Gabbiadini.

Boufal can't be much worse than Tadic has been this season, as the creative spark.

Couldn't agree more. I remember saying something similar last season. In fairness Puel did it and played J-Rod and Long, I thing it was against 'Boro. Guess what, it was the only time we scored in the last 6. Does that not tell a story?

Not really sure what that's got to do with it, we played our best stuff and went 2-0 11 v 11.

Stupid throw away, but always a deserved win.

just to correct you.

it was only 1-0 11 v 11.

the first penalty came after Arnautovic (33mins) was sent off. 2-0 at 38mins.

Sounds like we have a serious attitude/team spirit problem, probably because of our stance on keeping VVD, Bertrand and Cedric. Sounds like this is sweeping the team. Oh well. At least we didn't lose

That's worrying.

Where exactly did you hear this information?

I'd be inclined to try:

Lemina----Romeu

JWP ---gabbi---Boufal

-----Austin

Tadic, Redmond, Davis need to earn places back not start no matter what.

Problem is Gabbi excels playing on the last shoulder, finding space behind defences (whether we have players who can pick him out is another matter). That's nullified dropping deep as no.10s tend to do. Thats why MP experimented with Austin in the hole during preseason.

Against 10 men. The football has been as woeful as last season and anyone who pretends otherwise is kidding themselves

We had a full year of horrendous football and the players haven't changed. Could realistically take months to shake of the headache from last season.

Think you are conveniently underestimating the damage Puel did. Some players look a shadow of the Koeman days.

We had a full year of horrendous football and the players haven't changed. Could realistically take months to shake of the headache from last season.

Think you are conveniently underestimating the damage Puel did. Some players look a shadow of the Koeman days.

Post Puel Stress Disorder?

Yeah, especially Mane, Big Vic and Pelle. They're virtually invisible now.

I didn't watch the game today but I wasn't surprised when I checked the result to see Southampton nil. I just don't see where regular goals are going to come from with this team because we create so little and then miss what we do create!

- Since the start of 2015-16, Southampton have recorded more 0-0 draws than any other PL team

- Southampton have failed to score in eight of their past 11 Premier League games, scoring just seven goals from 144 shots in these matches (4.9%).

I'm not a negative fan, I like to look at the light and dark of every result/performance, but those stats are pretty worrying. We need some more flair in the team. We thought we'd done that but if Boufal isn't the answer we hoped he'd be then get rid and replace him.

Been back about an hour after a rather enjoyable trip to Huddersfield. I'll just make a couple of points.

1) Nathan "Should have scored" Redmond should have scored, it was a sitter IMHO and whilst I'm usually a fan of his he was doing my nut today by coming inside instead of stretching the play.

2) Tadic, who is clearly a skillful player, is currently wa_nk.

3) Bertrand is a liability at the moment. He clearly doesn't want to be at SFC. Same could be said of Cedric.

4) Whilst we got a bit of a battering 1st half FF was never tested 2nd half and with a bit more bottle from the manager would have won.

5) MP fu_cked up by not bringing Boufal on as the last 20mins was screaming out for a player to run at a Huddersfield team who were clearly flagging and the game was there to be won.

6) Maya was majestic.

7) Going to a newly promoted club, on a high, was never going to be easy and I'd have taken a point at KO but we really ought have left with all 3.

8) I've seen nothing from MP to suggest he's going to be any better than CP.

9) A Microbrewery before a game is a dangerous thing.

Reasons to be positive:

Performance wise, it will never, ever get worse than that

JWP is finished as a Prem footballer

We got the luckiest point in the history of professional football

****ing hell mate your sarcastic dog crap has officially ****ed me off.

well done, blocked and hope you have time to reflect on why you spend you saturday wasting your time and ours

Garbage that Davis and jwp are creative. Those in the same team are a disaster. Least creative players we have.

both have better decision making and ability to play a decent ball then redmond. davies has done well in advanced role before and a bit harsh to put jwp in the least creative players we have. hes improving all the time and his delivery usually gets close to getting assists like romeau"s header today

Great day out and managed to avoid microbreweries. Did the Head of Steam, Kings Arms, Plumber's Arms, Sportsman. All good. Shame we were refused entry to The Vulcan. Home only.

Agree with much of what's been written on the game. Could have lost, could have won.

Certainly Bertrand's head has wandered. Very little commitment.

Tadic and Redmond disappointing. FF a couple of good saves and one lucky escape. Yoshida excellent - looking forward to seeing him with Hoedt.

I thought we looked more balanced and threatening at the end, but wish Gabbiadini had stayed on and Redmond been dubbed. Long offered a different thread, JWP worked hard and looked to get in the box and McQueen put more effort in 10 mins than Bertrand did in 90.

Get this window closed so we can settle the team down.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk