Huddersfield 0 Saints 0 - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

See, I watched their game v Toon on Sunday and apart from one moment of quality from Mooy - and Newcastle stood off horribly - they didn't create a lot. Newcastle should have equalised but Joselu and Perez were shocking. Gabi would punished them.

Hudds will be solid but with our full backs returning, Hoedt and Gabi, as long as don't concede early and they get their tails up, we can get something.

See, I watched their game v Toon on Sunday and apart from one moment of quality from Mooy - and Newcastle stood off horribly - they didn't create a lot. Newcastle should have equalised but Joselu and Perez were shocking. Gabi would punished them.

Hudds will be solid but with our full backs returning, Hoedt and Gabi, as long as don't concede early and they get their tails up, we can get something.

Thing is though, they scored the one thing they did create.

We will need to be a hell of a lot better, and I'm confident we will be.

I'd be cautious throwing Hoedt straight in for this one to be honest, but he should be on the bench I'd have thought. Lemina back in midfield with Romeu for sure, gives us a bit of a presence. We've tried with JWP and Davis in the CM roles in recent season and it never really works, they're too wishy washy to play there for me - they need to be playing ahead of the two.

I'd go with Austin up to, Gabbi, Redmond with Davis as the support - give Gabbi a role whereby he can use the channels, he's excellent at that. Bofual hasn't done anything tonight to help himself.

Staurt Attwell is the referee

Our record at their stadium is dreadful. Lost both times up there in League 1, but at home, thrashed them both times.

Last time we played against Huddersfield in the top flight was 1971

Our 2nd game in L1 was against that lot with Pards at the helm, sat on -9 points. We were done 3-1 or something, Lambert got a goal, but it was dreadful.

Forster

Cedric - Hoedt - Yoshida - Bertrand

Lemina - Romeu

Redmond - Davis - Boufal

Gabbiadini

PLEASE no Tadic.

I like that team. Surely there's sufficient protection there to encourage Boufal to get on Gabi's shoulder and play in the 10 role? Then we'll know more about whether he can function in the team. Hudds won't have seen much of him and he looked at his best at Swansea last year playing off the striker.

Got to try something different. Last year's midfield Romeu apart was horribly conservative and risk free.

Thing is though, they scored the one thing they did create.

I'm not taking anything away from Mooy, great movement and strike. But Newcastle literally watched him. Redmond did the same when Boro stood off and watched him last season up there.

I take the overall point that our finishing and decent (not total chances on the OPTA stats) chance creation is woeful but we need to change up the risk in midfield. Boufal as 10.

Interesting thought

If we beat Huddersfield convincingly, and as long as it's by a couple of goals more than Watford or Man City do against their opponents (or if they don't win at all) then by 5pm on Saturday we'll be top of the league. At least for a couple of hours before Man Utd beat Leicester.

We will need to be a hell of a lot better, and I'm confident we will be.

I'd be cautious throwing Hoedt straight in for this one to be honest, but he should be on the bench I'd have thought. Lemina back in midfield with Romeu for sure, gives us a bit of a presence. We've tried with JWP and Davis in the CM roles in recent season and it never really works, they're too wishy washy to play there for me - they need to be playing ahead of the two.

I'd go with Austin up to, Gabbi, Redmond with Davis as the support - give Gabbi a role whereby he can use the channels, he's excellent at that. Bofual hasn't done anything tonight to help himself.

Cautious throwing Hoedt in? Why?

Our 2 centre backs now aren't good enough.

For some reason I'm really confident we'll win this one. They'll be the naive, newly promoted team, overconfident and ready to swarm all over us with attacking football, and we'll nick in and do them on the break. Just you wait and see.

That's not how we play though.

One thing that is certain - we will dominate the possession stats.

Hopefully we can do something with it. Another three goals would be nice.

I'd give Long a run in this one.

At the risk of sounding like Dave Merrington I'd go for a 4-4-2. Set up with 2 banks of 4 making us hard to play through but enabling us to go a bit longer when they press us. Nothing wrong with hitting the channels if they're going to press us high up the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our record at their stadium is dreadful. Lost both times up there in League 1, but at home, thrashed them both times.

The last time we played them on that added Xmas bank holiday, a mate and me decided to catch the train from Blazingsmoke and have a bit of a pub crawl to and from the station, we had a most pleasant time with the Uddersfield fans we came across, in Yates post match they were still quite chipper, and found it amazing that they could smash us at their place but were complete pants at ours 2 seasons running.

Anyway got our tickets, couple of nights away in Glossop with rellies, been supporting Saints long enough to accept what we are served up................ just someone please go in very hard on Tadic in training so he can't pollute the pitch for another 90 minutes.

....................Forster

...........,,,Lemina - Romeu

Redmond - Boufal - Tadic

.................Gabbiadini

Shouldn't give up on Tadic just yet. And yes boufal and Tadic will be able to play together if Lemina and Romeu sit in the middle

After tonights total fk up God only know what he'll do against a team playing well and unbeaten. 6-4-0??.

I mean playing 3cb 5 defenders against the might of wolves. what a way to destroy any momentum that was gained from the fortunate win against westham.

I would take a draw now as we are struggling to create much and we can't keep a it closed at the back. Players need some hard truths and maybe the manager too.

This could be a repeat of the Swansea game with Huddersfield looking to absorb pressure and create opportunities on the break. They're a limited team but have had a great start to life in the PL.

I hope that Hoedt is ready to start.

I'm looking for a reaction to the Wolves defeat. 1-0 Saints.

I was there. Just after we had lost 8-0 at Everton and 5-2 to ManU getting a clean sheet was a minor miracle. Especially as we now had McCarthy and Fry at full back. Possibly the worst combination in all professional football.

Huddersfield had Frankie Worthington playing and I saw him in the crowd during Sunday's game. He was dressed exactly the same as he was down here. 34 years ago. :D

PEDANT ALERT!

We did win 1-0 at the new ground in the League Cup 1994. The first year it was open.

You've all been on here years, seen hundreds of football matches. Yet for some reason, despite all evidence to the contrary with Saints and other teams year after year, many can't get the 'rubbish performances means we'll get stuffed next game too' thinking out their head.

And suddenly Huddersfield are amazing because they're won 2 games. It's like being surrounded by a bunch of fans from Memento every season.

We'll win this 1-0.

Forster

Cedric Stephens Hoedt Bertrand

Romeu Lemina

Boufal Davis Redmond

Gabbiadini

Yep, has to be the team for me - except I'd play Maya instead of Jack.

We'll win this. Especially if Hoedt is ready to play we have a much better team then they do. A good win for confidence.

I'd say we have better players but not a better team at the moment.

They are playing with confidence and the message from the manager is getting through on how he wants the team to play which hasn't changed from last season so they have an advantage in that respect.

It will be a tricky game.

I'd say we have better players but not a better team at the moment.

They are playing with confidence and the message from the manager is getting through on how he wants the team to play which hasn't changed from last season so they have an advantage in that respect.

It will be a tricky game.

they will deservedly win this game.

They are on fire at the moment

We obviously can win this, but we need to perform a lot better than vs Wolves. Looking forward to returning to my old University stomping ground regardless - expecting a tight game but Saints to show enough quality to come out on the right side of a 1-2 away victory :) COYR

I think one of the commentators during the Huddersfield/Newcastle game mentioned that their new striker Mounie had one of the best records for headed goals in Europe last year. Bearing in mind how we struggled in the air against Antonio, Hoedt will presumably need to come straight into the side.

Forster

Cedric Yoshida Hoedt Bertrand

Romeu Lemina

JWP/Davis Boufal Redmond

Gabbiadini

Tadic has been poor for quite some time yet seems to be immune from being dropped or subbed. It is time to give Boufal a run of games and in a position where he can be more involved and will have to play on instinct a bit more. We can't write him off before he has had a decent run in the side.

Easy win.

For Huddersfield.

In all seriousness, I'm hoping that midweek is a blip down to new formation etc and doesn't dent the team's confidence. It will no doubt be a tricky game, but hopefully Huddersfield being at home and full of confidence will encourage them to attack a bit more and give us more space. We struggle a lot when teams sit back and defend, as invariably we still manage to give up a few good chances from set pieces/crosses. I can see a 1-1, hopeful of a win but wouldn't be surprised if we lost. Just want to see us play with some added zip.

After last night definitely don't think Boufal should be starting.

We most definitely should not be playing 5 at the back.

Davis & Lemina definitely need to come back in to give us some better balance.

First choice fullbacks back is a simple choice

Normally i wouldn't rush Hoedt in but think with aerial threat of Mounie it's probably needed. Which of Stephens/Yoshi drop out is 50/50 for me but i'll go for Stephens to start.

Austin shouldn't be starting away imo. His lack of mobility is a real concern. I'd prefer to see Long used off the bench if we need to change things up top.

Forster

Cedric Stephens Hoedt Bertrand

Romeu Lemina

Davis Tadic Redmond

Gabbi

Subs, Mccarthy, JWP, Long, Austin, Boufal, Mcqueen, Yoshida

....................Forster

...........,,,Lemina - Romeu

Redmond - Boufal - Tadic

.................Gabbiadini

Shouldn't give up on Tadic just yet. And yes boufal and Tadic will be able to play together if Lemina and Romeu sit in the middle

Redmond Tadic and Boufal??? Disaster. Three headless chickens.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'd give Long a run in this one.

At the risk of sounding like Dave Merrington I'd go for a 4-4-2. Set up with 2 banks of 4 making us hard to play through but enabling us to go a bit longer when they press us. Nothing wrong with hitting the channels if they're going to press us high up the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tend to agree - if we try and play football, they will beat us, comfortably. We just aren't good enough and don't move the ball quick enough. unfortunately, we're pretty easy to play against.

We will need to defend well and counter quickly.

I know its early doors, but these are the sort of games we cannot afford to drop points in.

-----------Forster------------

Cedric--Yoshida--Hoedt--Bertrand

--------Lemina--Romeu------

Redmond---Davis------Boufal (a little bit quicker than Tadic)

--------------Gabbi------------

Bring long on with about 20/30 minutes to go depending on how the game is going.

1-0

they will deservedly win this game.

They are on fire at the moment

I think you need to change your name to mystic meg!

I remember when Blackpool and Hull first came up and did extremely well the first half of the season but then drifted down the table to a relegation dogfight. Huddersfield may survive as the team spirit and team tactics are in place but it will more than likely be a struggle.

Tend to agree - if we try and play football, they will beat us, comfortably. We just aren't good enough and don't move the ball quick enough. unfortunately, we're pretty easy to play against.

We will need to defend well and counter quickly.

I know its early doors, but these are the sort of games we cannot afford to drop points in.

-----------Forster------------

Cedric--Yoshida--Hoedt--Bertrand

--------Lemina--Romeu------

Redmond---Davis------Boufal (a little bit quicker than Tadic)

--------------Gabbi------------

Bring long on with about 20/30 minutes to go depending on how the game is going.

1-0

I'm sure this will be very close to the team but I'd be reluctant to start any of Boufal, Tadic and Forster. So give Long a game so we have the option of longer balls for him to chase, alongside Davis and Redmond. We won't see McCarthy, but it's time to give him a chance.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk