Huddersfield 0 Saints 0 - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

Big physical team and passionate home ground that might prove a valuable point come the end of the season.

Finally some sense. People write off Huddersfield just because they are new to the Prem. But they are a strong team from 1 to 11 and have a great coach.

If they keep this up they are top 10 quality.

Reasons to be positive:

Performance wise, it will never, ever get worse than that

JWP is finished as a Prem footballer

We got the luckiest point in the history of professional football

You come across as very, very stupid. Do you mean to?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Reasons to be positive:

TBH writing that should mean you are finished as a poster and should be chucked off for posting what must be the stupid comments ever seen on here and there has been some excellent competition for that

Reasons to be positive:

So 3 best chances fall to saints & we get a lucky point?!

An earlier contender for the bedwetter post of the day!

You come across as very, very stupid. Do you mean to?

So 3 best chances fall to saints & we get a lucky point?!

An earlier contender for the bedwetter post of the day!

Just when you think obvious troll couldn't possibly be more obvious, people go and bite.

Another bland attacking display.

Two players needed to play in the three behind Gabbiadini if Boufal isn't going to be used. Pellegrino must think Boufal is shocking!!

3 poor peformances against 3 sides that are going to be in the bottom 6/7.

Lemina the only positive.

We really need to invest in some attacking qualities. We just do not look like scoring much at all this season.

Redmond isn't good enough to start. He'd be an alright bench player but as a starter he is very much a player you'd expect to be playing for a side fighting to stay in this league.

Lemina looked good, our best player while he was on. Yoshida had a good game, got stitched up by his other players giving him ****ty passes a few times but recovered all of them well.

Bertrand/Redmond's chances were sitters.

Subs weren't too bad. We did better with JWP, McQueen and Long. We had a go at them instead of all that bull**** Tadic/Redmond/Davis rope-a-dope.

Long and JWP made sense - didn't see the point of McQueen for Tadic unless we were shutting up shop.

Our whole attack needs an overhaul, Tadic, Redmond and Davis just aren't good enough. Gabbi is quality but he is getting zero service and you can see how frustrated he is.

Also Bertrand looked completely peed off and disinterested the whole game. If he's sulking as well get him out the team.

A very lucky point. Impressed with how Huddersfield kept up their intensity for virtually the whole game. Another worrying performance from our pov though.

Something needs to be done about Tadic and Bertrand. There's having a poor game, then there's sulking around doing **** all.

Also, wtf was with the subs?

Fair play to Huddersfield though. They played really well. Bags of energy and play a pressing style. Hope they stay up.

On that performance I don't think it is Hudders that need to be the team worried about relegation...

Long and JWP made sense - didn't see the point of McQueen for Tadic unless we were shutting up shop.

Energy down the flank to test their back four and temper the threat of counterattacks. He managed to snuff a few things out and was a better through ball away from getting to the byline and giving someone a tap-in.

Our whole attack needs an overhaul, Tadic, Redmond and Davis just aren't good enough. Gabbi is quality but he is getting zero service and you can see how frustrated he is.

Also Bertrand looked completely peed off and disinterested the whole game. If he's sulking as well get him out the team.

A very lucky point. Impressed with how Huddersfield kept up their intensity for virtually the whole game. Another worrying performance from our pov though.

Wouldn't say it was a lucky point at all. Lots of intensity from Huddersfield, lots of bluster, but very little quality in their point of view. Equally, not much quality from us, but we did somehow contrive to have the best two chances of the match. Once they tired and lost a bit of their bounce we managed to get to grips with our extra quality in midfield, but not enough quality from Redmond and Tadic when he was on.

Certainly not lucky though.

Energy down the flank to test their back four and temper the threat of counterattacks. He managed to snuff a few things out and was a better through ball away from getting to the byline and giving someone a tap-in.

And we couldn't throw on Boufal in that situation (when we were on the front foot and in control) - or were we too concerned about the counterattack?

And we couldn't throw on Boufal in that situation (when we were on the front foot and in control) - or were we too concerned about the counterattack?

Probably the latter. If we were losing, we'd have thrown him on I'd expect. But would have been a bit mental to leave ourselves that open. Would have been a gamble.

Lamina getting forward a lot more second half too, in the box a couple of times.

Yeah, him and Davis looked to have swapped roles - Lemina seemed to be operating in the right side of the attacking 3. Looks a real unit, a real presence. Lots to come from him I think, he looks like an instant upgrade on anything we've had in that midfield area for a good couple of years - gives us that extra physicality.

Maybe we were worried but I think we are setting up too worried about what the opposition do compared to what we can do

Apostantky wevset upnhow we did midweek to counter wolves, then just listening to the post match there he said we played long balls as they have some string players, let's try playing to our strengths

watched the 2nd half, enjoyed that.

Pretty end to end.

what I took from the 2nd Half...

Decent energy and looked to get the ball forward

Redmond is a greedy, average punk (very poor on the ball and needs to sharpen up)

stephens is poor in the air, can see him missing out for hoedt

Long was very good when he came on. I would have in Redmonds position all day long. Good in the air, quick, direct and gets behind the their defence

nearly got a win

Lamina was very good from the bits that I saw

Tadic, anonymous

I think Gabbi is going to lose it, 3 maybe 4 times he made a great run into space (and on goal) and the ball never got anywhere near him (redmond the worst culprit)

top tip for you all - NEVER watch BT Sport's take on Soccer Sat. Horrendous!

Edited by Batman

Happy with a point in the end but they battered us for long periods and if he ever has aspirations to be a top player Redmond HAS to score easy chances like his first half one on one. Man of the match - Huddersfield fans, sounded like a total riot for the entire match which is only ever going to help their players.

Probably the latter. If we were losing, we'd have thrown him on I'd expect. But would have been a bit mental to leave ourselves that open. Would have been a gamble.

Even though we started Tadic -and Boufal puts in more of a defensive shift than him? Not sure how he would have left us open unless you're concerned about him giving the ball away in dangerous positions in which case it would seem hard to trust him full stop.

watched the 2nd half, enjoyed that.

Pretty end to end.

what I took from the 2nd Half...

Decent energy and looked to get the ball forward

Redmond is a greedy, average punk (very poor on the ball and needs to sharpen up)

stephens is poor in the air, can see him missing out for hoedt

Long was very good when he came on. I would have in Redmonds position all day long. Good in the air, quick, direct and gets behind the their defence

nearly got a win

Lamina was very good from the bits that I saw

Tadic, anonymous

I think Gabbi is going to lose it, 3 maybe 4 times he made a great run into space (and on goal) and the ball never got anywhere near him (redmond the worst culprit)

top tip for you all - NEVER watch BT Sport's take on Soccer Sat. Horrendous!

Punk :lol:

I counted three occasions second half when our centre backs were caught napping with the ball and we were fortunate they didn't take advantage.

We seem a yard slow in our decision making all over the pitch allowing the opposition time or to win the ball back. We were pretty much last season going forward and I don't see how that will change with this squad.

Hoedt must start next game and let's hope we find the missing link before the end of the window

Forster - 7: One moment of madness aside he had a decent game

Cedric - 6: Offered little going forward but defended okay

Stephens - 8: Thought he played well other than a couple of misplaced passes.

Yoshida - 7: Decent game, other than an error which gave them a chance.

Bertrand - 5: Very meh game from him and casts an almost bored figure on the pitch at times.

Romeu - 7: Fought hard and played fairly well.

Lemina - 8: Few misplaced passes aside played well for the hour he was on the pitch.

Tadic - 1: Appalling display and ought to be dropped after that sh*teshow.

Redmond - 4: Selfish with the ball and too lightweight in what was quite a physical game.

Davis - 6: Average game, missed a couple of chances.

Gabbiadini - 6: Maybe a bit harsh as there's only so much you can do when you get absolutely nothing from your attacking midfielders, but a poor touch for the one decent shooting opportunity he had.

If Pellegrino thinks this team is the answer he is an idiot. Gabbiadini is a good player but is ploughing a lone furrow up front lacking the support that never comes. Long is a fighter, Austin is a poacher, Gabbiadini is a good footballer give them half a dozen games because the others will still be goalless if they continue. How long does it take to see that the three behind a lone striker doesn't work with the players we have. If that means going more direct so be it because this aimless pass it around isn't football.

there is only two aims in football, score goals and stop them at the other end. It isn't two thirds possession and over 4000 pases and one goal from play in eight games.

Felt sorry for Gabbi. he was making loads of good runs, but no-one was looking for him. With an Eklund or a Berkowitz type player behinf him, he would get 20 plus goals.

Lamina was excellent, Long got better as the game went on . but Redmond and Tadic were not at the races, and Davis's' forward ball were slow and poor.

Would have settled for a point this morning, so not to down, and it is always hard to play newly promoted sides early in the season. much better after they have had a couple of spankings.

I don't get the Davis was good comments.Hus effort is top drawer and I can see what he's trying to do he just sucked at doing it.Bertie looks dissinterested.Tadic was terrible.Redmond similar story to Davis. I would have taken Davis Tadic and Redmond off.Hope Boufal and JWP start next match.

Really looks like there's unrest in the squad to me. Maybe the VVD situation is affecting the dressing room

That 11 at the end should be our starting side next game (with the exception of maybe Lemina).

Frustrating game, and could have been completely different if Redmond scored. Felt for him because it rocked his confidence and I thought otherwise he had a decent game and looked dangerous.

There is now no justification for Tadic starting games over Boufal or Ward-Prowse and I hope Pellegrino sees that.

If Pellegrino thinks this team is the answer he is an idiot. Gabbiadini is a good player but is ploughing a lone furrow up front lacking the support that never comes. Long is a fighter, Austin is a poacher, Gabbiadini is a good footballer give them half a dozen games because the others will still be goalless if they continue. How long does it take to see that the three behind a lone striker doesn't work with the players we have. If that means going more direct so be it because this aimless pass it around isn't football.

there is only two aims in football, score goals and stop them at the other end. It isn't two thirds possession and over 4000 pases and one goal from play in eight games.

What would your comments have been if Redmond and Bertrand had done better with their chances and both scored

Well, I'm rewarding myself with another Landlord at the station whilst waiting for my train as the football was so crop.. Stephens had a bad game and gave the ball away or into touch too many times. Bertrand doesn't seem to enjoy playing football and Redmond is just not very good, often outpaced and out muscled and choosing the wrong ball.

As a team we were outfought and they got many of the second balls.JWP played well when he came on and made some good runs, kept himself and the ball moving. But we've somehow got to give Gabbiadini more support and service.

Lots of work to do to improve our level of performance, especially in the attacking sense but that was a decent point. 2nd game i have seen of Huddersfield and been impressed.

Tadic & Redmond very poor. Encouraging from lemina, when he gets fit we have a potential gem there

What would your comments have been if Redmond and Bertrand had done better with their chances and both scored

As usual they didn't and never looked like they would, they may get an odd goal but for Redmond one goal every eleven games doesn't make a goal scoring forward. Gabbiadini makes the runs the others play the ball around but haven't a clue when it comes to scoring goals. Long will lead the line and get a few goals, Austin and Gabbiadini will get their share but the others will rarely ever score.

For all their pressing and effort, I can only think of one decent opportunity created by Huddersfield, which Forster did well to block in the first half. It was a frustrating game with at least two great goal scoring opportunities missed. A draw was probably a fair result for me but it was overall a frustrating day. Lemina's performance was a bright spot.

If Redmond finishes that 1 on 1

If JWP had squared it when he was near on through with a 1 on 1

If Bertrand's header wasn't cleared off the line

I think had Redmond's shot gone in then game would have opened up for us more, Huddersfield played positive football which is credit to them.

It is a game of ifs and buts...

But Pellegrino for me- was he playing for a draw or what? Did not expect Manolo off and JWP on... Rather have taken Tadic off or put Boufal on

Anyways why does there have to be an international break :(:x