Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 753

Thread: Huddersfield 0 Saints 0 - Match Thread

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    5,899

    Default Huddersfield 0 Saints 0 - Match Thread

    We're getting **** all from this.

    Though, if we win this then beat Watford and Palace I'll forgive tonight's shambles.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,945

    Default

    comfortably beaten

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Driving the pace on the front.
    Posts
    14,371

    Default

    I'm going and we will turn them over and win comfortably.

  4. #4

    Default

    Forster
    Cedric - Hoedt - Yoshida - Bertrand
    Lemina - Romeu
    Redmond - Davis - Boufal
    Gabbiadini


    PLEASE no Tadic.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near Exeter
    Posts
    4,671

    Default

    See, I watched their game v Toon on Sunday and apart from one moment of quality from Mooy - and Newcastle stood off horribly - they didn't create a lot. Newcastle should have equalised but Joselu and Perez were shocking. Gabi would punished them.

    Hudds will be solid but with our full backs returning, Hoedt and Gabi, as long as don't concede early and they get their tails up, we can get something.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Forster
    Cedric - Hoedt - Yoshida - Bertrand
    Lemina - Romeu
    Redmond - Davis - Boufal
    Gabbiadini


    PLEASE no Tadic.
    That's what I'd go with too.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    14,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    comfortably beaten
    Such a predictable post.


  8. #8

    Default

    You've all been on here years, seen hundreds of football matches. Yet for some reason, despite all evidence to the contrary with Saints and other teams year after year, many can't get the 'rubbish performances means we'll get stuffed next game too' thinking out their head.

    And suddenly Huddersfield are amazing because they're won 2 games. It's like being surrounded by a bunch of fans from Memento every season.

    We'll win this 1-0.

    Forster
    Cedric Stephens Hoedt Bertrand
    Romeu Lemina
    Boufal Davis Redmond
    Gabbiadini

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    5,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saint1977 View Post
    See, I watched their game v Toon on Sunday and apart from one moment of quality from Mooy - and Newcastle stood off horribly - they didn't create a lot. Newcastle should have equalised but Joselu and Perez were shocking. Gabi would punished them.

    Hudds will be solid but with our full backs returning, Hoedt and Gabi, as long as don't concede early and they get their tails up, we can get something.
    Thing is though, they scored the one thing they did create.

  10. #10

    Default

    We will need to be a hell of a lot better, and I'm confident we will be.

    I'd be cautious throwing Hoedt straight in for this one to be honest, but he should be on the bench I'd have thought. Lemina back in midfield with Romeu for sure, gives us a bit of a presence. We've tried with JWP and Davis in the CM roles in recent season and it never really works, they're too wishy washy to play there for me - they need to be playing ahead of the two.

    I'd go with Austin up to, Gabbi, Redmond with Davis as the support - give Gabbi a role whereby he can use the channels, he's excellent at that. Bofual hasn't done anything tonight to help himself.

  11. #11

    Default

    Staurt Attwell is the referee

    Our record at their stadium is dreadful. Lost both times up there in League 1, but at home, thrashed them both times.

    Last time we played against Huddersfield in the top flight was 1971

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Staurt Attwell is the referee

    Our record at their stadium is dreadful. Lost both times up there in League 1, but at home, thrashed them both times.

    Last time we played against Huddersfield in the top flight was 1971
    Our 2nd game in L1 was against that lot with Pards at the helm, sat on -9 points. We were done 3-1 or something, Lambert got a goal, but it was dreadful.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near Exeter
    Posts
    4,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Forster
    Cedric - Hoedt - Yoshida - Bertrand
    Lemina - Romeu
    Redmond - Davis - Boufal
    Gabbiadini



    PLEASE no Tadic.
    I like that team. Surely there's sufficient protection there to encourage Boufal to get on Gabi's shoulder and play in the 10 role? Then we'll know more about whether he can function in the team. Hudds won't have seen much of him and he looked at his best at Swansea last year playing off the striker.

    Got to try something different. Last year's midfield Romeu apart was horribly conservative and risk free.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near Exeter
    Posts
    4,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Instant Classic View Post
    Thing is though, they scored the one thing they did create.
    I'm not taking anything away from Mooy, great movement and strike. But Newcastle literally watched him. Redmond did the same when Boro stood off and watched him last season up there.

    I take the overall point that our finishing and decent (not total chances on the OPTA stats) chance creation is woeful but we need to change up the risk in midfield. Boufal as 10.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    14,070

    Default

    A big reaction is needed and I believe we will see one..

  16. #16

    Default

    Interesting thought

    If we beat Huddersfield convincingly, and as long as it's by a couple of goals more than Watford or Man City do against their opponents (or if they don't win at all) then by 5pm on Saturday we'll be top of the league. At least for a couple of hours before Man Utd beat Leicester.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    7,138

    Default

    1-1.

  18. Default

    They rested all their players tonight.

    They will press us high, be in our faces and bomb the ball into our box towards Mounie.

    Going to be a very tricky game.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andover/Isleworth
    Posts
    8,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    We will need to be a hell of a lot better, and I'm confident we will be.

    I'd be cautious throwing Hoedt straight in for this one to be honest, but he should be on the bench I'd have thought. Lemina back in midfield with Romeu for sure, gives us a bit of a presence. We've tried with JWP and Davis in the CM roles in recent season and it never really works, they're too wishy washy to play there for me - they need to be playing ahead of the two.

    I'd go with Austin up to, Gabbi, Redmond with Davis as the support - give Gabbi a role whereby he can use the channels, he's excellent at that. Bofual hasn't done anything tonight to help himself.
    Cautious throwing Hoedt in? Why?

    Our 2 centre backs now aren't good enough.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ashurst Bridge
    Posts
    756

    Default

    We will lose. Next

  21. #21

    Default

    I would go 2 up front, only really chance of scoring seems to be set pieces as we have no creativity anywhere else.

    Forster
    Cedric, Yoshida, Hoedt, Bertrand
    Romeu Lamela Davis
    Redmond
    Austin Gabbi

  22. #22

    Default

    Well no doubt in the Echo they will drag some player out to tell us how they must do better etc
    They won't they have proved over many months they can't hit a barn with a banjo
    Ffs don't play Tadic and Redmond

  23. #23

    Default

    For some reason I'm really confident we'll win this one. They'll be the naive, newly promoted team, overconfident and ready to swarm all over us with attacking football, and we'll nick in and do them on the break. Just you wait and see.

  24. #24

    Default

    Yeah on the break, with all our pace....

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScepticalStan View Post
    For some reason I'm really confident we'll win this one. They'll be the naive, newly promoted team, overconfident and ready to swarm all over us with attacking football, and we'll nick in and do them on the break. Just you wait and see.
    That's not how we play though.

    One thing that is certain - we will dominate the possession stats.

    Hopefully we can do something with it. Another three goals would be nice.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    In between
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    We'll win this. Especially if Hoedt is ready to play we have a much better team then they do. A good win for confidence.

  27. Default

    I'd give Long a run in this one.

    At the risk of sounding like Dave Merrington I'd go for a 4-4-2. Set up with 2 banks of 4 making us hard to play through but enabling us to go a bit longer when they press us. Nothing wrong with hitting the channels if they're going to press us high up the pitch.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    7,202
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Staurt Attwell is the referee

    Our record at their stadium is dreadful. Lost both times up there in League 1, but at home, thrashed them both times.

    Last time we played against Huddersfield in the top flight was 1971
    The last time we played them on that added Xmas bank holiday, a mate and me decided to catch the train from Blazingsmoke and have a bit of a pub crawl to and from the station, we had a most pleasant time with the Uddersfield fans we came across, in Yates post match they were still quite chipper, and found it amazing that they could smash us at their place but were complete pants at ours 2 seasons running.

    Anyway got our tickets, couple of nights away in Glossop with rellies, been supporting Saints long enough to accept what we are served up................ just someone please go in very hard on Tadic in training so he can't pollute the pitch for another 90 minutes.

  29. #29

    Default

    ....................Forster
    Cedric - Hoedt - Yoshida - Bertrand
    ...........,,,Lemina - Romeu
    Redmond - Boufal - Tadic
    .................Gabbiadini


    Shouldn't give up on Tadic just yet. And yes boufal and Tadic will be able to play together if Lemina and Romeu sit in the middle

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eastleigh
    Posts
    964

    Default

    After tonights total fk up God only know what he'll do against a team playing well and unbeaten. 6-4-0??.
    I mean playing 3cb 5 defenders against the might of wolves. what a way to destroy any momentum that was gained from the fortunate win against westham.
    I would take a draw now as we are struggling to create much and we can't keep a it closed at the back. Players need some hard truths and maybe the manager too.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    This could be a repeat of the Swansea game with Huddersfield looking to absorb pressure and create opportunities on the break. They're a limited team but have had a great start to life in the PL.

    I hope that Hoedt is ready to start.

    I'm looking for a reaction to the Wolves defeat. 1-0 Saints.

  32. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Staurt Attwell is the referee

    Our record at their stadium is dreadful. Lost both times up there in League 1, but at home, thrashed them both times.

    Last time we played against Huddersfield in the top flight was 1971
    I was there. Just after we had lost 8-0 at Everton and 5-2 to ManU getting a clean sheet was a minor miracle. Especially as we now had McCarthy and Fry at full back. Possibly the worst combination in all professional football.

    Huddersfield had Frankie Worthington playing and I saw him in the crowd during Sunday's game. He was dressed exactly the same as he was down here. 34 years ago.

    PEDANT ALERT!

    We did win 1-0 at the new ground in the League Cup 1994. The first year it was open.

  33. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    You've all been on here years, seen hundreds of football matches. Yet for some reason, despite all evidence to the contrary with Saints and other teams year after year, many can't get the 'rubbish performances means we'll get stuffed next game too' thinking out their head.

    And suddenly Huddersfield are amazing because they're won 2 games. It's like being surrounded by a bunch of fans from Memento every season.

    We'll win this 1-0.

    Forster
    Cedric Stephens Hoedt Bertrand
    Romeu Lemina
    Boufal Davis Redmond
    Gabbiadini
    Yep, has to be the team for me - except I'd play Maya instead of Jack.

  34. #34

    Default

    3 at the back will become the norm. Look at our signings: 2 new cb with none out. It gives Stephens a starting spot he wouldn't otherwise get. Expect a lot of defensive 0-0 1-0 scorelines

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,361

    Default

    I will be amazed if we get anything from this.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    10,266
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    A tight game and one goal to settle it, either way.

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Searching for the voice of reason
    Posts
    3,969
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pass the Dutchie View Post
    We'll win this. Especially if Hoedt is ready to play we have a much better team then they do. A good win for confidence.
    I'd say we have better players but not a better team at the moment.

    They are playing with confidence and the message from the manager is getting through on how he wants the team to play which hasn't changed from last season so they have an advantage in that respect.

    It will be a tricky game.

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctoroncall View Post
    I'd say we have better players but not a better team at the moment.

    They are playing with confidence and the message from the manager is getting through on how he wants the team to play which hasn't changed from last season so they have an advantage in that respect.

    It will be a tricky game.
    they will deservedly win this game.
    They are on fire at the moment

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    We obviously can win this, but we need to perform a lot better than vs Wolves. Looking forward to returning to my old University stomping ground regardless - expecting a tight game but Saints to show enough quality to come out on the right side of a 1-2 away victory COYR

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    they will deservedly win this game.
    They are on fire at the moment
    They beat Newcastle and Palace. Calm down.

  41. #41

    Default

    I think one of the commentators during the Huddersfield/Newcastle game mentioned that their new striker Mounie had one of the best records for headed goals in Europe last year. Bearing in mind how we struggled in the air against Antonio, Hoedt will presumably need to come straight into the side.

  42. #42

    Default

    quite confident for this . 0-2

  43. #43

    Default

    Forster
    Cedric Yoshida Hoedt Bertrand
    Romeu Lemina
    JWP/Davis Boufal Redmond
    Gabbiadini

    Tadic has been poor for quite some time yet seems to be immune from being dropped or subbed. It is time to give Boufal a run of games and in a position where he can be more involved and will have to play on instinct a bit more. We can't write him off before he has had a decent run in the side.

  44. #44

    Default

    Easy win.

    For Huddersfield.

    In all seriousness, I'm hoping that midweek is a blip down to new formation etc and doesn't dent the team's confidence. It will no doubt be a tricky game, but hopefully Huddersfield being at home and full of confidence will encourage them to attack a bit more and give us more space. We struggle a lot when teams sit back and defend, as invariably we still manage to give up a few good chances from set pieces/crosses. I can see a 1-1, hopeful of a win but wouldn't be surprised if we lost. Just want to see us play with some added zip.

  45. #45

    Default

    Some of the talk about Huddersfield being unbeaten seems to point they are blimmin' Real Madrid or something.

    They are a team of grafters, if we match their hard work we will have the quality to win. I'm going for 1-3 with Austin scoring twice.

  46. #46

    Default

    After last night definitely don't think Boufal should be starting.
    We most definitely should not be playing 5 at the back.
    Davis & Lemina definitely need to come back in to give us some better balance.
    First choice fullbacks back is a simple choice
    Normally i wouldn't rush Hoedt in but think with aerial threat of Mounie it's probably needed. Which of Stephens/Yoshi drop out is 50/50 for me but i'll go for Stephens to start.
    Austin shouldn't be starting away imo. His lack of mobility is a real concern. I'd prefer to see Long used off the bench if we need to change things up top.


    Forster
    Cedric Stephens Hoedt Bertrand
    Romeu Lemina
    Davis Tadic Redmond
    Gabbi

    Subs, Mccarthy, JWP, Long, Austin, Boufal, Mcqueen, Yoshida

  47. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    That's what I'd go with too.
    Please NO Forster!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    7,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenue_Saint View Post
    ....................Forster
    Cedric - Hoedt - Yoshida - Bertrand
    ...........,,,Lemina - Romeu
    Redmond - Boufal - Tadic
    .................Gabbiadini


    Shouldn't give up on Tadic just yet. And yes boufal and Tadic will be able to play together if Lemina and Romeu sit in the middle
    Redmond Tadic and Boufal??? Disaster. Three headless chickens.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  49. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    I'd give Long a run in this one.

    At the risk of sounding like Dave Merrington I'd go for a 4-4-2. Set up with 2 banks of 4 making us hard to play through but enabling us to go a bit longer when they press us. Nothing wrong with hitting the channels if they're going to press us high up the pitch.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tend to agree - if we try and play football, they will beat us, comfortably. We just aren't good enough and don't move the ball quick enough. unfortunately, we're pretty easy to play against.

    We will need to defend well and counter quickly.

    I know its early doors, but these are the sort of games we cannot afford to drop points in.

    -----------Forster------------
    Cedric--Yoshida--Hoedt--Bertrand
    --------Lemina--Romeu------
    Redmond---Davis------Boufal (a little bit quicker than Tadic)
    --------------Gabbi------------

    Bring long on with about 20/30 minutes to go depending on how the game is going.

    1-0

  50. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Searching for the voice of reason
    Posts
    3,969
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    they will deservedly win this game.
    They are on fire at the moment
    I think you need to change your name to mystic meg!

    I remember when Blackpool and Hull first came up and did extremely well the first half of the season but then drifted down the table to a relegation dogfight. Huddersfield may survive as the team spirit and team tactics are in place but it will more than likely be a struggle.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •