Huddersfield 0 Saints 0 - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

I think you need to change your name to mystic meg!

I remember when Blackpool and Hull first came up and did extremely well the first half of the season but then drifted down the table to a relegation dogfight. Huddersfield may survive as the team spirit and team tactics are in place but it will more than likely be a struggle.

I agree with you

I'm sure this will be very close to the team but I'd be reluctant to start any of Boufal, Tadic and Forster. So give Long a game so we have the option of longer balls for him to chase, alongside Davis and Redmond. We won't see McCarthy, but it's time to give him a chance.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I agree. They'll crash at some point, hopefully this Saturday.

Are we playing in home or away kit? I can't seem to find a place to find this information.

I'll be there as I was back in Div 1 days, my last away match was against WBA in April when we won 1 - 0 so hoping for the same.

Are we playing in home or away kit? I can't seem to find a place to find this information.

I'll be there as I was back in Div 1 days, my last away match was against WBA in April when we won 1 - 0 so hoping for the same.

See the thread on Away Supporters. I've asked and the club don't seem to know. Something about both strips potentially clashing so may be a third strip. [emoji45]

See the thread on Away Supporters. I've asked and the club don't seem to know. Something about both strips potentially clashing so may be a third strip. [emoji45]

Thanks. In past I seem to remember that they had an appropriate coloured shirt symbol by each match fixture.

Thanks. In past I seem to remember that they had an appropriate coloured shirt symbol by each match fixture.
Just called again and it's getting bizarre. Was told a decision will be taken by the match officials and they'll then release the info "if they're allowed to"

My team

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

Hoedt

Bertrand

Romeu

Lamina

Davis

Boufal

Redmond

Gabbiadini

Boufal in the 10 position please. He is just not really doing much out wide

however, it wont be that. We will be very one-paced in attack, play in front of their defensive unit and they will plough forward on the break and beat us nicely. 2-0 to them

Edited by Batman

If and it's a big IF, if we play three at the back, then this is my team.

......................Forster..................

...Stephens......Hoedt......Yoshida

Cedric........Romeu.....Lamina......Bertrand

.......................Boufal...........................

...............Long..........Gabbiadini............

In that formation, the forwards will be totally isolated.

Just called again and it's getting bizarre. Was told a decision will be taken by the match officials and they'll then release the info "if they're allowed to"

The Premier League official social media accounts normally post on a Thursday or Friday the colours that each team will be wearing

Just had a look at the Huddersfield forum. They see this as their toughest test so far and believe they would do well to get a draw

On paper it is. They've played Newcastle (come up with them and hardly strengthened) and Palace (battled against relegation last year and are always down there), but they haven't seen us play.

If we perform anything like we have the season, then they will turn us over. But should we play to the best of our ability, then it should be an easy win.

Anything but a win will be disappointing. 4/5 points from our first 3 (very, very easy fixtures) isn't a great start.

Just had a look at the Huddersfield forum. They see this as their toughest test so far and believe they would do well to get a draw

Well, they are correct.

They have played two bottom-third teams whilst we have finished or just outside the top third for the last four years.

What's with the 3 at the back is defensive logic? It can be as attacking as any formation. We tried something new, but on the night we were dreadful. The whole team, every player was sloppy.

I'm sure we'll go back to 4231 but even if it's 343 we'd have bertrand and cedric wide which makes it a very different proposition.

I'm not going to be scared of huddersfield just yet. good time to play them, they've had their great start, had their first home game, now time for reality.

Given we just failed to beat a mid table championship side's second string; I think our fans should be a lot more humble about the proposition of Huddersfield. We'll do very well to get anything more than a draw here.

Think Pellegrino will pick:

----------------Forster-----------------

Cedric--Stephens--Yoshida--Bertrand

----------Romeu------Lemina---------

--JWP----------Tadic----------Redmond

-------------Gabbiadini-----------------

Don't think Hoedt will start barely a week after signing. Davis might start ahead of JWP and Tadic pushed out wide, but for me you want JWP on the outside as he's the best crosser.

Think Pellegrino will pick:

----------------Forster-----------------

Cedric--Stephens--Yoshida--Bertrand

----------Romeu------Lemina---------

--JWP----------Tadic----------Redmond

-------------Gabbiadini-----------------

Don't think Hoedt will start barely a week after signing. Davis might start ahead of JWP and Tadic pushed out wide, but for me you want JWP on the outside as he's the best crosser.

Hoedt has been playing regularly for Lazio in pre-season. I don't think Lemina was for Juventus, which is why he's being eased in by MP. Hoedt though is match fit and quite frankly, we will need him.

If Tadic starts I'll willingly participate in the pre-match meltdown.

Tadic should not start, I'd run the risk with Boufal replacing him as he is at least a lot more dynamic and Huddersfield will have to come out and play at home give him space to accelerate into. I know it's early but if we start with Tadic/Davis/Redmond again I fear these hold up play merchants have as much chance of spotting a Gabbi run as Stevie Wonder.

Newly promoted

Started well

Northern away day

Saints under-performing.

This has got 1-0 defeat written all over it. Mounie to score, Tadic to miss a pen.

If Tadic is still on pens and subsequently misses in this game as we lose 1-0, I will be melting down with the best of them

I'm already up in Yorkshire and today I thought I was going to blank a day's fishing but caught a 2lb trout with my last cast, so I'm going with a one nil last minute win with a goal from an unexpected player.

Hmm, that doesn't really narrow it down much, does it?

I'm already up in Yorkshire and today I thought I was going to blank a day's fishing but caught a 2lb trout with my last cast, so I'm going with a one nil last minute win with a goal from an unexpected player.

Basically anything other than an own goal then.

This for me. With Cedric and Bertrand able to push up and get service to the two strikers, and Long using his pace from deep to move defenders around, the front two will be more engaged than we have seen all season and the goals will flow.

Would imagine JWP won't play for fear of picking up an injury. Hearing Bristol Rovers and Burton have enquired about loan deals for him. Would be a disaster for the club if we can't offload him due to injury.

Still trolling, you sound very bitter, did he spurn your advances or something!

Would like....

........................ McCarthy ........................

.. Cedric .... Hoedt ... Yoshida .... Bertrand ..

......................... Romeu ..........................

................ Davis ......... Lemina .................

......................... Boufal ...........................

................ Gabbi ......... Austin .................

or

........................ McCarthy ........................

........ Stephens .... Hoedt .... Yoshida .........

.. Cedric ........... Romeu ........... Bertrand ..

................ Davis ........... JWP ...................

......................... Gabbi ...........................

......................... Austin ...........................

I think playing narrower would suit us. We seem to have no problem pushing out wide and crossing but we're always outnumbered in the opp. box and our players aren't tall/physical for crosses. Either have our wingers play more like a #10 than a #7/#11 or use our "Best in the league" centre mid options behind 2 up top.

Expecting..

........................ Forster ........................

........ Stephens .... Hoedt .... Yoshida .........

.. Cedric .... Romeu .. Lemina .... Bertrand ...

......... Tadic ..................... Redmond .........

......................... Gabbi ............................

Edited by Ultimatt

You're right. A goal from any of our players is unexpected.

This for me. With Cedric and Bertrand able to push up and get service to the two strikers, and Long using his pace from deep to move defenders around, the front two will be more engaged than we have seen all season and the goals will flow.
Really? Midfield would be totally stagnant. Boufal as the link between defence and attack? That would be the missing link.

I'll be surprised if we go again with three CBs. Would be equally surprised to see Forster rested, but feel he should be.

McCarthy (but will be Forster)

Cedric Hoedt Yoshida Bertrand

Romeu Lemina

Redmond Davis Long (but Boufal/Tadic)

Gabbiadini

We're away from home. Last season that was normally a plus we seem to play better away from SMS these days. I'm kind of expecting us to win this and look quite good doing it only to look poor at Home in the following game.
I'm expecting a reaction to Weds night and agree that we could play better away from St Mary's.

That's quite sad really and says a lot about the different support home and away. I wouldn't go so far as to say the atmosphere at St Mary's is actually toxic, but all too often nowadays it seems luke warm, especially when things aren't going well, which is the normal state of things at the moment. It takes a lot to get a real buzz of support going.

But away, it always seems to me that the small core of Saints fans are usually fantastic. It's completely different. This must get through to the team.

I'll be at Huddersfield tomorrow and fully expect lots of noise and great support all game. Shame we didn't take the full allocation. We've got a big fan base in the north and would have sold out easily.

And I think we'll win.

Just looking through the gallery on the official site. Looks like Lemina is fully involved, hopefully that cut on his leg isn't too bad. Who is the tall blonde guy? Don't recognise him, and can't see any matching profiles on the team page (pretty sure it's not Bednarek). Also wondering whether Lemina & Hoedt, after a couple of years in Italy, will also be able to converse with Gabbiadini a bit - there were rumours he was having trouble settling, maybe having a couple of italian speakers around might help. All total conjecture of course. Also no sign of a few players, but imagine there might be a handful off doing something else (Austin, Yoshida, Stephens, JWP, Tadic... set pieces? Penalties?!)

Edited by mrfahaji

Just looking through the gallery on the official site. Looks like Lemina is fully involved, hopefully that cut on his leg isn't too bad. Who is the tall blonde guy? Don't recognise him, and can't see any matching profiles on the team page (pretty sure it's not Bednarek). Also wondering whether Lemina & Hoedt, after a couple of years in Italy, will also be able to converse with Gabbiadini a bit - there were rumours he was having trouble settling, maybe having a couple of italian speakers around might help. All total conjecture of course. Also no sign of a few players, but imagine there might be a handful off doing something else (Austin, Yoshida, Stephens, JWP, Tadic... set pieces? Penalties?!)

I think the blonde fella is this guy - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/christoph-klarer/profil/spieler/346849

CB we signed from Austria for the academy a couple of years back.

I think the blonde fella is this guy - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/christoph-klarer/profil/spieler/346849

CB we signed from Austria for the academy a couple of years back.

Yeah that looks right, thanks! Interesting that he is training with the first team when on the website he is only listed as U-18 (compared to a few other youngsters who appear on the first team page).

Why the clamour to go 3 at the back?!

Forster

Cedric

Hoedt

Yoshida

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Redmond

Davis

JWP

Gabbiadini

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind seeing Boufal in behind Gabbi, really strange that he's never been tried there.

Three at the back is an idiotic idea that gets the best out of no-one, purely to accommodate an out-of-shape and half-arsed looking journeyman incapable of leading the line.

This should be the team:

---------------------------------Forster/McCarthy--------------------------

Cedric-------------------Yoshida----------------Hoedt-------------Bertrand

---------------------------------Lemina----Romeu-------------------------

------Gabbiadini/Boufal-------------Davis---------------------Redmond---

---------------------------------Long/Gabbiadini---------------------------