Huddersfield 0 Saints 0 - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

Three at the back is an idiotic idea that gets the best out of no-one, purely to accommodate an out-of-shape and half-arsed looking journeyman incapable of leading the line.

This should be the team:

---------------------------------Forster/McCarthy--------------------------

Cedric-------------------Yoshida----------------Hoedt-------------Bertrand

---------------------------------Lemina----Romeu-------------------------

------Gabbiadini/Boufal-------------Davis---------------------Redmond---

---------------------------------Long/Gabbiadini---------------------------

On paper that looks a good team. I'd have McCarthy. Glad to see Tadic is nowhere near it

Fairly devoid of creativity. Highlights the need for another creative signing to replace Davis.

We rarely, if ever have played with three creative players behind the lone striker. We've almost always opted for balance and someone who can track back and support the two DMs in the Davis role.

Fairly devoid of creativity. Highlights the need for another creative signing to replace Davis.

I wouldn't play that team at home but we're away to a team high on confidence and which is decent in the air song think solidity with a bit of pace on the break makes sense.

Do we not do good old fashioned 4-4-2 any more? Why not start with it, then change as needed? Or move to it if another formation starts.

How about:

---------------McCarthy---------------

Cedric---Stephens---Yoshi---Bertrand

Boufal---Romeu----Lemina---Redmond

---------Gabbiadini----Austin

FF needs a break... [correction]... we need a break from FF!

Bertrand needs to wake his little face up and try some proper overlaps & defensive tackles.

Gabby could hold the 'no.10' position (whatever that is), with Austin pushing their centre halves all over the shop.

Hoedt as defensive alternative, or if changing to 3 at the back.

Got JWP & Davis to offer Midfield alternatives, or even Hoj (though he currently seems to be out of favour)

Long & Tadic as attacking options (maybe instead of Boufal & Redmond?).

Surely as professional footballers, spending lots of time on the training ground, they can work out tactical and formation changes. Can't be that hard, can it?

Haven't seen Huddersfield yet so won't pretend to know, but I think Stephens and Yoshida are perfectly fine. Not great in the air but serviceable enough to see us through the whole year so far and surely preferable to someone who may not be in sync yet.

Do we not do good old fashioned 4-4-2 any more? Why not start with it, then change as needed? Or move to it if another formation starts.

How about:

Bertrand needs to wake his little face up and try some proper overlaps & defensive tackles.

Gabby could hold the 'no.10' position (whatever that is), with Austin pushing their centre halves all over the shop.

Got JWP & Davis to offer Midfield alternatives, or even Hoj (though he currently seems to be out of favour)

Surely as professional footballers, spending lots of time on the training ground, they can work out tactical and formation changes. Can't be that hard, can it?

I can't imagine why we'd have Gabbianini anywhere other than on the shoulder. I'm sure I don't need to remind you which of our games so far involved a formation change!

Edited by DuncanRG

How about:

Austin doesn't push centre halves anywhere. He stands still to make it easier for them.

In this formation, the front two will be isolated. They may not be exciting, but we need at least one of JWP and Davis.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How about:

Because 442 is a crap formation and leaves huge gaps between defence / midfield / attack, and leaves us weak in the middle of the park against a midfield 3.

Think we'll learn a lot about how much work Pellegrino has to do, or how much he has already done, in this game. A team we should be superior to in every position on the pitch but this will be about mentality and application. We know Huddersfield will be confident and energetic. We need to be professional and earn the right to play our game. Could genuinely go either way, but I'm looking for a few players to step up and justify their wage.

Think we'll learn a lot about how much work Pellegrino has to do' date=' or how much he has already done, in this game...[/quote']

Totally agree on this one, especially after the league cup game fiasco where I sincerely hope he learned some painful lessons about tinkering with a working formation / knowing when he's made a mistake and should make a change / leaving substitutions too late. I want to see progression from him and how he's managing the players as well.

Totally agree on this one, especially after the league cup game fiasco where I sincerely hope he learned some painful lessons about tinkering with a working formation / knowing when he's made a mistake and should make a change / leaving substitutions too late. I want to see progression from him and how he's managing the players as well.

To be honest, I can forgive him trying a new formation, but agree that it's concerning he stuck with it for such a long time when it clearly wasn't working at all.

Cant see anything other than a home win, I'm afraid, based on first 3 matches, and i didnt think i would have predicted that a few weeks ago....

Based on the first three matches where we dominated and drew, won, and lost playing an untried formation with several second choice players...

I understand people being pessimistic about our chances but "based on the first 3 games" doesn't really fit up with a definite loss!

Has it been confirmed which kit we're wearing for this one?

I was wondering why the official preview had the saints crest on a green background (seems otherwise out of place?), and wondered if it was hinting at a green 3rd kit for the game...

What do we think?

qXRkBZD.png

Thanks for the comments guys - you can tell I'm no expert. I appreciate the feedback.

Austin doesn't push centre halves anywhere. He stands still to make it easier for them.

In this formation, the front two will be isolated. They may not be exciting, but we need at least one of JWP and Davis.

True, although maybe one of Austin or Gabbi could drop a little? Or do neither of them do that?!

I thought maybe Lemina was in as a Davis 'replacement' [in time]? Could he not fill the more central role with Romeu supporting?

Because 442 is a crap formation and leaves huge gaps between defence / midfield / attack, and leaves us weak in the middle of the park against a midfield 3.

Big gaps - yeah I can see that. But I'd have thought a middle 3 would be outnumbered by a midfield 4? Boufal & Redmond could squeeze into a more central AM role, couldn't they? Then provide width & trickery in attack.

I can't imagine why we'd have Gabbianini anywhere other than on the shoulder. I'm sure I don't need to remind you which of our games so far involved a formation change!

Yeah, actually fair point, I agree about Gabbi. He's annoying to opposing defenders so he'd be better right up there. Is this maybe why he & Austin don't normally play together?

Umm, yes please, my memory's not good. Which game had the formation change? Don't tell me... Wolves?! :?

I'm coming more and more round to the notion of starting Long with his pace, given Huddersfield like to press.

Me too. Indeed, part of me thinks it may happen when looking at the fact he didn't start on Wednesday.

I would like to see a 4-3-3 of:

-----------------------------Forster------------------------

Cedric--------Yoshida-------------Hoedt--------Bertrand

-----------Davis----------Romeu-----------Lemina-------

----------Redmond-------Gabbidini--------Long----------

This could translate into:

----------------Romeu-----------Lemina------------------

--------------------------Davis-----------------------------

----------Redmond-------Gabbidini--------Long----------

OR

-----------Davis----------Romeu-----------Lemina-------

---------------------------Gabbiadini----------------------

----------Redmond-------------------------Long----------

Use the pace of Redmond and Long on the break, with Gabbiadini coming into the space behind.

Ignoring the cup game (where you always get changes) why does everyone want to change the winning (even if they made hard work off it) team against Wham? The team against Wham was probably our strongest side (the jury being out on the new CB) so we might as well play them together as much as possible. Last season people were raging about constant unenforced changes to the team.

Ignoring the cup game (where you always get changes) why does everyone want to change the winning (even if they made hard work off it) team against Wham? The team against Wham was probably our strongest side (the jury being out on the new CB) so we might as well play them together as much as possible. Last season people were raging about constant unenforced changes to the team.

Because Tadic isn't very good, and Hoedt needs to start against their big strikers.

Because Tadic isn't very good, and Hoedt needs to start against their big strikers.

To get the best out of Tadic we need him and Gabbi to click that will only happen if they play regularly together we need to perceiver with those two. Hoedt fair enough though none of us have a clue if he is any good in the air TBF.

I'm coming more and more round to the notion of starting Long with his pace, given Huddersfield like to press.
Unfortunately though, in order to exploit that strength, you also need both timing and finishing. Nine times out of ten he will be offside and on the odd occasion he does get in he will fluff the finish.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Has it been confirmed which kit we're wearing for this one?

I was wondering why the official preview had the saints crest on a green background (seems otherwise out of place?), and wondered if it was hinting at a green 3rd kit for the game...

What do we think?

qXRkBZD.png

I've been trying for days to get an answer to this from the club - and they simply won't tell me! They have said it's a match officials decision, which, as you say, argues that there's a problem with both kits. It's bizarre.

Finally an answer!

1,530 Saints fans will be housed in the blocks 4,5 and 6 of the Chadwick Lawrence stand at the John Smith’s Stadium. Mauricio Pellegrino’s men will be in their black away kit.

But does that mean black with stripes or last season's black?

Long is ****e. People are only suggesting him because of disatisfaction with our recent performances, not because Long is suddenly a better player.

Many of those suggesting Long have mentioned about Gabbi plahing in the hole, or out wide.

Look at virtually all his goals for us, they have come by playing on the shoulder of the defender and using his movement and instinctive finishing - moving him further away from goal hardly makes best use of that.

Keep Long on the bench because better players are ahead of him and his finishing is ****ing woeful.

Finally an answer!

1,530 Saints fans will be housed in the blocks 4,5 and 6 of the Chadwick Lawrence stand at the John Smith’s Stadium. Mauricio Pellegrino’s men will be in their black away kit.

But does that mean black with stripes or last season's black?

Just out of interest, why does it matter so much to you?!

Long is ****e. People are only suggesting him because of disatisfaction with our recent performances, not because Long is suddenly a better player.

Many of those suggesting Long have mentioned about Gabbi plahing in the hole, or out wide.

Look at virtually all his goals for us, they have come by playing on the shoulder of the defender and using his movement and instinctive finishing - moving him further away from goal hardly makes best use of that.

Keep Long on the bench because better players are ahead of him and his finishing is ****ing woeful.

This is true. One of the forums tatical geniuses was suggesting that our attacking trio should be Gabbi, Long and Austin which would be the most dysfunctional and technically lacking forward line in the league.

This is true. One of the forums tatical geniuses was suggesting that our attacking trio should be Gabbi, Long and Austin which would be the most dysfunctional and technically lacking forward line in the league.

or the best in the league if les reed can spin it will enough

Just out of interest, why does it matter so much to you?!
Since you ask, in the grand scheme of things, it's unimportant. But when I go to matches, home and away, I usually wear colours. If I've got a shirt matching what the team stream wearing, I'll choose it.

Normally the OS simply publish quite early the colour they're wearing but not for this game. What was surprising was that, when I sent a simple email enquiry to the club I was told it wasn't information that they had available. It was going to be a match officials decision. Which, quite simply, intrigued me.

Maybe I should get a life. [emoji6]

Why the clamour to go 3 at the back?!

Forster

Cedric

Hoedt

Yoshida

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Redmond

Davis

JWP

Gabbiadini

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind seeing Boufal in behind Gabbi, really strange that he's never been tried there.

This is what I'm hoping to see. If Lemina doesn't make it, I hope its Boufal who plays.