Tadic or Boufal or both

angelman

I don't think both worked very well, so cannot see this going forward as an option. They both slow things down too much.

Tadic, I like him, in the way that I like all players who play for us. I like others more, and think that he thinks that he is better than he is. So I would prefer to go with Boufal and play him in the middle to be the creative part of the team. That then leads to the problem of right wing. You would have Redmond on the left, Boufal in the middle (really do think that that is a better option than JWP) and who on the right - Long?

As I have said elsewhere, Tadic is living a charmed life at Saints, we seem to have him in the side for a "maybe this game" moment, then in the game "maybe he'll do something in the next minute". Boufal on the otherside of the coin just looks like he takes to the pitch knowing he will get subbed, knowing he'll miss the next game and in trying to avoid both tries too hard and puts in a varied performance through not being relaxed.

Yet the bloke on the otherside of the pitch puts in another under par performance, yet is the first name on the team sheet!!?!!??!

Tadic's effectiveness dropped markedly when Pelle and Mane left IMO. When he had the ball, with Pelle, he had a strong and technical focal point who could retain possession better than we do currently, whilst Mane's speed often meant he could turn an average through ball into a decent one. Now we have Austin, who only really comes alive in the box, and whilst Manolo does look to get into behind a defence, he doesn't have the same speed to turn the threaded passes Tadic likes to play into decent ones. Whereas Tadic was able to move the ball on quite quickly before, he's now holding onto it longer, slowing down our play because he probably realises this too.

I feel for Boufal. He was built up to be a world beater before he arrived but he's never achieved the consistent game time we need him to have, to see if he can be an effective weapon for us. Like someone said above, he's now almost overplaying to try to demonstrate his worth, in an attempt to convince the manager he's worth keeping on the pitch. Last season, he was undone by injuries, this season I feel we need to have a bit of faith in him and hope the outcome is a consistent output of goals and chances created.

Tadic it seems is better on the left cutting in on his right foot and Redmond is better on the right crossing the ball in on his right foot and taking on players on the outside. And Redmond has the pace we need but he is a winger - not an ACM or No. 10. Similarly Tadic seems lost when he's played as a No.10 - without the space he needs to make things happen which he has on the wing.

I am not really sure where Boufal best position is - mostly because he's not really played that much - but of the three he looks the most suited to playing the ACM or No. 10 role.

But I think we have proved you can't play both Tadic and Boufal in the same team - neither really track back and lack the pace we need up front. So for me it has to be one these two and Redmond at the moment with either Davis or JWP in the three behind the striker.

Long give us an alternative to Redmond as a wide striker - but he lacks the finishing touch to be a main striker.

I've always liked and rated Tadic, but although he still does the occasional good thing in matches, it has been a long time since he's had a really good game overall. If he 'slows things down' too much, and I know why people say that, then why did he have so many good games in Koeman's side, which was a lot more about direct, fast attacking play? Could it actually be that our current 'slow build up' brings the worst out in him because he's become trained in holding the ball and looking for a safe option? He has good vision and is always looking for a good pass, so what he needs are other players to make good runs. Gabbiadini offers this a bit, and then he gets support from Cedric, but that's it. I don't think our game is set up to have lots of players getting forward.

I know it's going to be hard to replace Mane, but perhaps we miss someone who plays more directly. I.e. picks up the ball and runs AT the defence, gets them backpedalling. I thought Redmond would do this but he's also guilty of the 'cut back and pass' mentality. I'd have thought Boufal would be capable of it too, whether wide or central.

Both players are guilty of problems with their mentality. Not sure Tadic is ever going to change, but sometimes I wish he'd show a bit more determination to make his mark on a game. He's too quick to let his head drop and shoulders sag as soon as things don't quite fall for him. Bournemouth at home last year was the perfect example where even within a game he had periods of looking brilliant and others looking terrible and totally deflated. Boufal needs to work on his decision making but I think he is still in a position where he can improve, because you see flashes of improvement before he reverts to type.

Edited by mrfahaji

Tadic's effectiveness dropped markedly when Pelle and Mane left IMO. When he had the ball, with Pelle, he had a strong and technical focal point who could retain possession better than we do currently, whilst Mane's speed often meant he could turn an average through ball into a decent one. Now we have Austin, who only really comes alive in the box, and whilst Manolo does look to get into behind a defence, he doesn't have the same speed to turn the threaded passes Tadic likes to play into decent ones. Whereas Tadic was able to move the ball on quite quickly before, he's now holding onto it longer, slowing down our play because he probably realises this too.

I feel for Boufal. He was built up to be a world beater before he arrived but he's never achieved the consistent game time we need him to have, to see if he can be an effective weapon for us. Like someone said above, he's now almost overplaying to try to demonstrate his worth, in an attempt to convince the manager he's worth keeping on the pitch. Last season, he was undone by injuries, this season I feel we need to have a bit of faith in him and hope the outcome is a consistent output of goals and chances created.

This is my take on Tadic he doesn't look the same player without Pelle and Mane around him.

Tadic and Austin just don't seem to be on the same wave length at all last night they were getting in each other's way trying to occupy the same space and they just don't seem to be able to link u their passes and runs.

I thought Gabbi would be a good foil for Tadic but they don't seem to have clicked at all either.

This is the area that is holding back the team.

GK seems nailed on for FF whether people like it or not. The back line with Hoedt's addition seems sorted. DM is as well. Front men has the options with Gabbi presumably being 1st choice. So it is the wing/AM that is the problem.

I think that we all agree that we are missing that creative spark. TBH we never really replaced Lallana who used to roam all over the place and was pretty creative. He wasn't the quickest either. So from the players who we have available, I think that Boufal is probably the most likely to replicate that, to be able to give that bit of creativity. So I would stick with Redmond - Boufal - Long playing behind Gabb, although Long isn't really a winger and his crossing isn't really good enough. Tadic did start off brilliantly when he came to us, but he seems to have regressed since Koeman left. Maybe people are right when they say that is due to Mané and Pellè leaving.

I would sell Tadic. Its his attitude as much as his play. He constantly moans at other players & then takes no responsibility for his own mistakes. Redmond is similar.

Boufal has to be given time, but the initial signs are not great. Personally, I would rather play Sims if he was fit.

Generally speaking, Tadic, Boufal, Redmond, Højbjerg, Classie & JWP are all more-or-less the same level in my opinion. We've got lots of midfield options, but since Mane left they're all just much of a muchness.

Compare our Midfield now to when we had Schneiderlin, Mane & Wanyama - all were hugely different players offering different things to the team and a class above what we have now.

This is the area that is holding back the team.

GK seems nailed on for FF whether people like it or not. The back line with Hoedt's addition seems sorted. DM is as well. Front men has the options with Gabbi presumably being 1st choice. So it is the wing/AM that is the problem.

I think that we all agree that we are missing that creative spark. TBH we never really replaced Lallana who used to roam all over the place and was pretty creative. He wasn't the quickest either. So from the players who we have available, I think that Boufal is probably the most likely to replicate that, to be able to give that bit of creativity. So I would stick with Redmond - Boufal - Long playing behind Gabb, although Long isn't really a winger and his crossing isn't really good enough. Tadic did start off brilliantly when he came to us, but he seems to have regressed since Koeman left. Maybe people are right when they say that is due to Mané and Pellè leaving.

The trouble is, Tadic is our most creative player, by quite a long way I'd say (though Boufal could be). He does things in games that others don't or can't. The problem now is that he doesn't do it enough, and doesn't assert himself enough. Eventually there comes a point where one or two great moments, especially with our woeful finishing, are not worth it. I would leave Tadic on the bench for a few games and bring him on later on if we're struggling to break teams down. I feel he's stuck in a rut at the moment, every performance is the same. Maybe he'd do well from observing the game and being more focused when he's comes on.

Generally speaking, Tadic, Boufal, Redmond, Højbjerg, Classie & JWP are all more-or-less the same level in my opinion. We've got lots of midfield options, but since Mane left they're all just much of a muchness.

Compare our Midfield now to when we had Schneiderlin, Mane & Wanyama - all were hugely different players offering different things to the team and a class above what we have now.

Don't forget that when we played Mane as AM with Tadic and Long on the wings we were often overrun in midfield, and that was with Schneiderlin & Wanyama. Shouldn't be a surprise that it happens now with Boufal/Tadic as the 10, though hopefully Lemina & Romeu can form a strong partnership. Both have something to offer but may not suit our style of play.

Our attacking options are pretty dire really and as others have mentioned, this is what's holding the team back.

Tadic has done next to nothing since Pelle left and his workrate is pretty poor. Don't get me started on his finishing..

Redmond is too busy moaning at others and just doesn't contribute enough in the final third.

Boufal is trying his best to live up to his price tag but nothing is coming off for him. When he does release the ball he tends to give it away a lot. Possibly give him more of a chance though at the expense of Tadic as clearly we can't play both at the same time.

Too many fans think just adding another attacker means more goals, but usually means you just don't have the ball. The way we are at the moment I think we need Davis or JWP, it links midfield to attack better and we have more possession.

You can play 4 attackers if they're all dangerous, the top clubs can do it for that reason. We can't, because all of ours are inconsistent and of limited goal threat, so you're likely to end up with 1 or 2 passengers every single game.

Redmond is frustrating but he does seem to improve year on year so I'd stick with him, he'll score a few. Boufal has never had a run in the team and clearly needs it, but it won't work if people write him off every other game.

Tadic was a really good left winger. God knows why he thinks he can play central, I've literally never seen him have a good game there. We don't want chances falling his way. On the left he links well with bertrand, crosses well and finds more space. I think he's an appalling no10.

it isnt the fans that constantly put him on the bench

I completely understand the frustration with Tadic because of how good he could be - but the fact is for me, nothing much seems likely to happen goal-wise without him being involved. Obviously not our most consistent player, but hard to argue against the fact he's the most likely to actually create an opening I reckon.

Boufal for me - although tadic can be creative he is not a team player, slows the play down way too much and his finishing is utterly abysmal.

His constant whining and whinging does my head in and I think Boufal would improve with a run in the team. Has to be worth a try as it is just not working right now.

Boufal for me - although tadic can be creative he is not a team player, slows the play down way too much and his finishing is utterly abysmal.

His constant whining and whinging does my head in and I think Boufal would improve with a run in the team. Has to be worth a try as it is just not working right now.

Pretty much the same could be levelled at Boufal to be fair his desire to beat at least 4 men before a pass slows down our attacks

Don't forget that when we played Mane as AM with Tadic and Long on the wings we were often overrun in midfield, and that was with Schneiderlin & Wanyama. Shouldn't be a surprise that it happens now with Boufal/Tadic as the 10, though hopefully Lemina & Romeu can form a strong partnership. Both have something to offer but may not suit our style of play.

Exactly, but back then we could reasonably assume that we'd score more goals than most of the opposition anyway.

Tadic has only ever played well for us when playing on the left wing. He has the option to go down the outside or inside, and linked up with Bertrand really well. He hasn't played there for nearly 2 seasons now. He hasn't been and never will be a number 10.

Boufal looks to me like a number 10, and he hasn't played there either.

Tadic has only ever played well for us when playing on the left wing. He has the option to go down the outside or inside, and linked up with Bertrand really well. He hasn't played there for nearly 2 seasons now. He hasn't been and never will be a number 10.

Boufal looks to me like a number 10, and he hasn't played there either.

The only way he plays in the middle is if we play JWP/Davis on the flank. We won't play three creative players behind Gabbi. I agree Boufal would be more threatening as a no.10 where he can go in both directions, though, according to Pellegrino, wing play is one of our strengths (he hasn't seen our final ball it would seem). As such, can't see us moving away from having our creative players on the flanks, doubled up with our aggressive full back play, anytime soon. That said JWP would be a better fit on the right than Davis.

In Puel's defense, he did let the three behind the lone striker roam and interchange (at least in the early days). As yet, not really seen that from Pellegrino.

Edited by shurlock

Boufal for me. He works harder, is younger, quicker and has more natural ability. When he learns when to release the ball, he has that x factor we are currently missing.

Tadic is too much of a pre madonna who seems to think he's better than what he is. He's a good player when on form, but that just isn't frequent enough and he just lacks composure, which is a problem when we're lacking goals (was fine when we had Pelle and Mane banging them in, but you notice his glaring misses more and more now).

I'd bet good money on Tadic wanting to leave at the end of this season, like he has the past 2.

As I have said elsewhere, Tadic is living a charmed life at Saints, we seem to have him in the side for a "maybe this game" moment, then in the game "maybe he'll do something in the next minute". Boufal on the otherside of the coin just looks like he takes to the pitch knowing he will get subbed, knowing he'll miss the next game and in trying to avoid both tries too hard and puts in a varied performance through not being relaxed.

Yet the bloke on the otherside of the pitch puts in another under par performance, yet is the first name on the team sheet!!?!!??!

He was MoM in our last league match.

Boufal for me. He works harder, is younger, quicker and has more natural ability. When he learns when to release the ball, he has that x factor we are currently missing.

Tadic is too much of a pre madonna who seems to think he's better than what he is. He's a good player when on form, but that just isn't frequent enough and he just lacks composure, which is a problem when we're lacking goals (was fine when we had Pelle and Mane banging them in, but you notice his glaring misses more and more now).

I'd bet good money on Tadic wanting to leave at the end of this season, like he has the past 2.

Always makes me laugh / shake my head.

I wouldn't be adverse to selling Tadic for the right money has been excellent for us but is a sulker when he doesn't play and seems to have stagnated and Boufal being a record signing needs to have a run of about ten starts otherwise why fork out all the money to sign him ?

I'd say neither. MoPe needs to establish his midfield 3 based on form and attitude in training. No one should get preferential treatment. They were both poor lately so they sit until they get another chance to be in the XI. Then it is up to them to stay in the team. Hopefully MoPe can get more out if them and they become fixtures in the team.