Transfer Deadline Week

SNSUN

The window shuts on Thursday, and we now have a break for the Internationals. Will we sign anyone? What do we need? And will we see the end of the VVD saga?

IMO we blatantly need a number 10, an attacking midfielder who isn't selfish and can link midfield to attack. We have a decent crop of strikers for our needs IMO, but we need that attacking midfielder that can play a good through ball and shoot. Get one and we are in for a good season.

What do you think the week will bring? (Besides a raft of fans wanting to smack Jim White in the chops...)

Lots of talk about a number 10, but I think we actually have a presence in midfield now who could help us link together (Lemina). What we could do with, if we are going to sign anyone, is someone with a bit of pace and power who can stretch down the flanks or in behind. An upgrade on Long basically.

I think we're getting up to the 3 quicker than we did last year, but once we're there we're not stretching it or getting in behind quickly enough. Will be interesting if the club think the same.

I am quite angry about the lack of recruitment in the attacking department. I may be simple minded but I don't get this "no 10" business. What we have been missing is a physical presence in the opposition's 18 yard box. We haven't had it since Pelle left. We had it with SRL and GP. There is no point dropping balls into the box when we have a strike force consisting of Munchkins. PL defences seem to be peopled with recruits from the Land of the Giants...

If we have been able to see this, why can't the powers that be....?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by miserableoldgit

The board will keep their word and VvD will not be sold. He will, however, go to Chelsea on a season long loan with option to buy at 70m on 01 July 2018, providing he changes agent by then.

In return, we will take Costa on loan from them for the season.

Two want-away players away from their clubs. Happy days.

Now, where is that second bottle of vodka..............

;)

How many times have you seen him play?

No denying he's a good player, but he's not a huge deal different to what we have with Boufal (if he gets game time). We need more pace and directness to both stretch the opposition and bring our midfield and attack closer (although I still think we're closer as units than we were at times last year)

No denying he's a good player, but he's not a huge deal different to what we have with Boufal (if he gets game time). We need more pace and directness to both stretch the opposition and bring our midfield and attack closer (although I still think we're closer as units than we were at times last year)

We need an AM. A quick direct winger would be nice, but we could get by with what we have. IMO we desperately need a Davis replacement

How many times have you seen him play?

I see him play regularly in the Eredivisie and Ziyech is a great player when it comes to the passing game and he does have a decent shot in both legs. But I do fear he doesn't have the stamina to match the pace in the PL and he's not that keen on defensive duties so I doubt he will be the right player for the Saints. Also I don't believe that Ajax will sell him this week as there are big problems in Amsterdam at the moment and they don't need the money at all as they are already loaded.

However, the Saints really need a creative midfielder...

The window shuts on Thursday, and we now have a break for the Internationals. Will we sign anyone? What do we need? And will we see the end of the VVD saga?

IMO we blatantly need a number 10, an attacking midfielder who isn't selfish and can link midfield to attack. We have a decent crop of strikers for our needs IMO, but we need that attacking midfielder that can play a good through ball and shoot. Get one and we are in for a good season.

What do you think the week will bring? (Besides a raft of fans wanting to smack Jim White in the chops...)

One way or the other... yes.

I'm excited about these final few days. Where will Clasie go? Is there a future for Højbjerg here? (When) will we see VVD back in a Saints shirt? What surprises do we have incoming? (PSG is still trying to get rid of Hatem Ben Arfa. I'd give him a try, if his salary demands aren't over the top.)

I'm pretty confident things will look good after Thursday.

I am quite angry about the lack of recruitment in the attacking department. I may be simple minded but I don't get this "no 10" business. What we have been missing is a physical presence in the opposition's 18 yard box. We haven't had it since Pelle left. We had it with SRL and GP. There is no point dropping balls into the box when we have a strike force consisting of Munchkins. PL defences seem to be peopled with recruits from the Land of the Giants...

If we have been able to see this, why can't the powers that be....?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Could not agree more

We need a STRIKER, someone who can score Goals. We have needed one for a season and a half.

Who is top of our current Goalscorers ??

Still Roy of The Rovers, because no one in our current Squad can do it

le G has said that we're bringing in a player who will wear the vacant number 9 shirt.

Is it Vietto? Or is that one dead in the water and Les will pull one out of the hat?

I think the fans need a 'wow' signing to get morale up.

Vietto is a funny one, Athletic Madrid have all but told him he's free to go - he wants regular games, which he won't get there. He was linked to Sampdoria, but that never materialized. I don't think clubs are willing to pay what they want, as the window comes to an end I think they'll be open to loan deals. That's what I think we're hanging on for

The board will keep their word and VvD will not be sold. He will, however, go to Chelsea on a season long loan with option to buy at 70m on 01 July 2018, providing he changes agent by then.

Now, where is that second bottle of vodka..............

;)

brilliant post. Love ideas like that.

Vietto is a funny one, Athletic Madrid have all but told him he's free to go - he wants regular games, which he won't get there. He was linked to Sampdoria, but that never materialized. I don't think clubs are willing to pay what they want, as the window comes to an end I think they'll be open to loan deals. That's what I think we're hanging on for

Monaco have offered 18 million euros or so and are waiting for a reply. I could see him going there.

le G has said that we're bringing in a player who will wear the vacant number 9 shirt.

Is it Vietto? Or is that one dead in the water and Les will pull one out of the hat?

I think the fans need a 'wow' signing to get morale up.

That could be an awesome signing if we can get him in.

We've solved the biggest issues we had at CB and DM but there is no doubting that we need a CM that can attack the heart of a defence. Personally I'd like to see Boufal have a long run in the team otherwise we need to invest in one.

As for strikers, we have them but the service to them is shocking.

Because all those AM thought that they were the strikers. Lol

All have some of what you've been drinking...

Unless we are going to give up on Boufal & shift him on i don't see us investing heavily in another attacking midfielder.

As far as I am concerned we don't have any attacking midfielders, as far as supporting the lone striker and being capable of scoring themselves.

We spent big on Gabbiadini. If we give up on him and sign another now to please fans who can't see past this logic, you'll just be back clamouring for another striker when he has a poor run.

agree with this.

for me the biggest issue is decision making in the final third, and for me that is partially down to coaching. Looking at the squad we have i would feel comfortable if we didn't sign anyone and if we do, they'll have to be a player who not only is above the level of the current squad but also makes the right decisions on the pitch.

We spent big on Gabbiadini. If we give up on him and sign another now to please fans who can't see past this logic, you'll just be back clamouring for another striker when he has a poor run.

This, reading these transfer threads, is like watching a group of small kids in a sweet shop. Only got sixpence, but want two bob's worth of sweets, and change. Some need to appreciate where we are today, compared to six years ago, we will not win the PL, not now, not next year, not in ten years, unless we get a mega owner, and that boat has just sailed. The best we can expect, are young, developing players, hungry to prove themselves.

He has one year left on his contract.... They wont loan and he wouldn't drop to us.

Yes I know , depends how much he wants out and how much Everton want rid and if he wants regular football his only option is dropping down imo he won't get in any of the top 7 teams as a starter and may even struggle to get that here too I guess

Selling VVD for £60m and signing a marquee AM for £35-40m would make for a great window. Hoedt-Yoshida will probably do a reasonable enough job, we know Davis/Redmond/Tadic won't.

I'd also look at loaning Hojbjerg if he's not even going to make the bench. U23's is too low a level for a former Bayern player and he's at the age where he needs to play. Davis/JWP/Romeu/Lemina/Clasie/Hojbjerg/+1 AM signing, 7 players is too much for 3 spots.

Selling VVD for £60m and signing a marquee AM for £35-40m would make for a great window. Hoedt-Yoshida will probably do a reasonable enough job, we know Davis/Redmond/Tadic won't.

I'd also look at loaning Hojbjerg if he's not even going to make the bench. U23's is too low a level for a former Bayern player and he's at the age where he needs to play. Davis/JWP/Romeu/Lemina/Clasie/Hojbjerg/+1 AM signing, 7 players is too much for 3 spots.

Honestly I can't think of a 35-40 million £ AM that would see us as a good career move right now.

Isn't SaintRichmond an obvious troll? SaintRobbie needs company on my ignore list, might add SaintRichmond is others confirm my suspicion. larry12 is still good for amusement though.

Honestly I can't think of a 35-40 million £ AM that would see us as a good career move right now.

Someone that expensive would want a club playing european football and 100k+ a week in wages so it I expect our highest spend would be no more than 25m, which is still ridiculous money for a club like us.

Potentially shaping up to be an interesting last few days, particularly in light of Tom28s latest.

Guessing the attacking player we are looking to bring in is more one for the future? (The one we'll apparently bring in regardless of VVD staying/going).

The higher profile options we're in for (if VVD goes) could be interesting.......who would fit as a higher-profile, Saints-type, AM signing? Walcott? Barclay? - can't see it. The Brazilian guy (Luam? - linked previously?)

And what about the current AM player who will go on loan if that happens. Boufal? Tadic? Redmond?

Really interested to see what will happen with Claise/PEH too. Surely JC will go. What about Targett - surely he'll get a loan move?

Think we'll see more movement than we normally do at Saints this late in the window.

Kieron Gibbs to Watford off. Decent replacement for Bertrand who has been poor and wants away. Depends how much and better than relying on fragile Targett.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not saying we should as have McQueen and other urgent areas but I rate Gibbs in games have seen him fits our profile.

Edited by Give it to Ron