Our support

USA SaintsFan

It seems a bit of a hangover from last season to be honest, especially the frustration at performances and lack of goalscoring at home, which has continued. Many hoped removing Puel would be a fresh start, and galvanising effect, but the new MP hasn't yet hit the mark.

Its a two way thing though, perhaps the team mustering a goal occasionally from open play might help.

I was there today and it was difficult to get anything going, because it's got to be said that the Huddersfield fans kept up one hell of a noise (helped by a loud drum), and all credit to them.

They only quietened a bit in the last 10 mins when we started to apply pressure. Normally our away support is good and noisy but we were pretty well drowned out today, more than I can remember at any other ground.

But I agree we've been poor at St Mary's recently. No chance of us drowning out the away fans. Perhaps we need a drum. And a few decent songs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I was there today and it was difficult to get anything going, because it's got to be said that the Huddersfield fans kept up one hell of a noise (helped by a loud drum), and all credit to them.

They only quietened a bit in the last 10 mins when we started to apply pressure. Normally our away support is good and noisy but we were pretty well drowned out today, more than I can remember at any other ground.

But I agree we've been poor at St Mary's recently. No chance of us drowning out the away fans. Perhaps we need a drum. And a few decent songs.

And a team which scores goals......;)

Was very poor today, and not that great during the home fixtures. What is going on?

The board and club have been taking the fans for a ride for quite a while now. Given this, is it surprising, especially when we have a team of mercenaries on the field, half of which don't bother to play?

Sorry to say, but the support home and away, vocal as a whole and as individuals was much better from saints in the championship and div 1 than in the premiership. Too many people priced out of the game, too many prawn sarnies and 'entertain me like we were at the opera last night darling' people now.

Sorry to say, but the support home and away, vocal as a whole and as individuals was much better from saints in the championship and div 1 than in the premiership. Too many people priced out of the game, too many prawn sarnies and 'entertain me like we were at the opera last night darling' people now.

Apart from you of course. Proper supporter. Perhaps you could be put in charge of vetting supporters & only blokes like you allowed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need some new chants. OWTSGMI and that's it.

These two things are probably related. Back in the lower leagues we had a pretty constant core to the team, player songs stuck, and were available to sing for a while becuase the players weren't ****ing off every summer. On top of that we had a Wembley final and two promotions that gave us the chance to sing about going to Wembley, being top of the league and being promoted. Now we have none of that leaving us with a pretty limited song list.

So tell us, where are the prawn sandwiches? I've lobbied the club for years to offer healthy food but had assumed they'd ignored me. The opera is tonight after the game. too early to say if that will bean better than the football.

The board and club have been taking the fans for a ride for quite a while now. Given this, is it surprising, especially when we have a team of mercenaries on the field, half of which don't bother to play?

Can't understand how we have been taken for a ride by the club, I reckon we've never had it so good. But the players do seem to be a bunch of mercenaries, they and their agents are the problem, the club seem to be the victim. It's so demoralising I'm not surprised if support wilts, especially with 8 of the last 11 games we haven't scored

These two things are probably related. Back in the lower leagues we had a pretty constant core to the team, player songs stuck, and were available to sing for a while becuase the players weren't ****ing off every summer. On top of that we had a Wembley final and two promotions that gave us the chance to sing about going to Wembley, being top of the league and being promoted. Now we have none of that leaving us with a pretty limited song list.

Probably less complicated than that but you've probably hit on something. We have had four years of disloyalty from key players and managers and it continues with van Dyke and Ms Liebherr wanting out. Everything that gave fans hope and confidence has been swept away to be replaced with an uncertain future with faceless Chinese owners.

Would anybody expect other than a fanbase disillusioned with the whole bloody thing on offer. It will take more than a few tally ho's and for he's a jolly good fella to get fans on-side, enthusiastic and loyal to players again. I'm sure you have noticed how much venom is now being spewed out on here towards virtually every Saints player. Nobody trusts any of them anymore an it shows. We are patently not 'as one' and things may get a whole lot worse before they start getting better. How many bothered to turn out for the Wolves match? Once the support starts dwindling maybe the club will wake up and start treating fans with a lot more respect... but don't hold your breath.

Since promotion back to the PL, the average age of our away support has increased significantly and there's a much larger % of women and children at the games. Nothing wrong with any of those, but that's the main reason why our support is now suffering as they are the demographic that tend to make the least noise. Not a criticism, just a fact.

I think that part of the problem is that, since we returned to the Premier League we've attracted far more tourist spectators who either come to see the "top" teams or are just there to see Prem football, with the expectation that it will be packed with the exciting moments they see in highlights programmes. I'd suggest that younger supporters are more and more inclined this way.

The concept of going to a Saints game first and foremost to support and cheer on Saints, whatever, is fading. This was so evident at Huddersfield. The home fans there on Saturday behaved like real fans proud of their club. Massive, incessant noise, drowning out Saints.

Yes, they're doing well at the moment and it'll be interesting to see how they respond when things take a dip, but my money is on them backing the team all the way.

Granted I only get to see us on tv but the negative noises when a player does something the crowd don't think is brilliant are by far more prevelant at st Mary's than any other ground.

If a misplaced forward pass occurs at any ground there seems to be applause for trying, as opposed to boos and groans that occur at our home ground

I will ever forget the boos pelle wa see wing for most of the second half on his home debut

Maybe this is just a reflection of where microphones are at certain grounds?

Ah, the famous Southampton wall of silence. Nothing worse than Swansea away last season. Absolutely terrible.

Not quite sure what it is exactly - but anyone that blames it on the team doesn't get the bit about "supporting"...doesn't matter how crap the team is, just get on with it. Definitely suffer from a lack of songs...the problem is we only have OWTS and player songs. We don't have enough generic Saints songs to sing...they are the ones that will always stick. Although, to make matters worse we invent about 7 songs each for two favourite players and ignore everyone else.

Also, too many morons who would rather get on the back of the team....maybe these fans just feel entitled because they only started coming in League One and never saw a team before that...for much of the 90s were were garbage, but we got behind the team. Even in the Poortvliet/Wotte season the support was better.

I don't think there is much hope of things improving, to be honest.

I've noticed that at Portmouth they've made massive efforts to ancourage youths and young men to attend games without their parents by offering them dirt cheap tickets, while at Southampton we have the ever expanding family areas, where the culture of polite silence is developed, taking over the ground.

Of course, having a home kop would make a massive difference too. At home games our most vocal support is divided and hdden away in the corners of the away end, where the acoustics are at their worst, so they are easily drowned out by the away fans.

Portsmouth season ticket concessions 2017/18

Young Person (18-22 on September 1 2017): £240

Junior (17 and under on September 1 2017): £80

I've noticed that at Portmouth they've made massive efforts to ancourage youths and young men to attend games without their parents by offering them dirt cheap tickets, while at Southampton we have the ever expanding family areas, where the culture of polite silence is developed, taking over the ground.

Of course, having a home kop would make a massive difference too. At home games our most vocal support is divided and hdden away in the corners of the away end, where the acoustics are at their worst, so they are easily drowned out by the away fans.

Portsmouth season ticket concessions 2017/18

Young Person (18-22 on September 1 2017): £240

Junior (17 and under on September 1 2017): £80

Understand the point you are making but worth remembering they are playing two leagues below us.

The other thing, which in my view is a poor reflection of things, is that the Premiership clubs seemingly don't want to encourage the traditional support of boozed up young men having a good day out, but expand the 'family' club,... and embrace local residents, or give an entire stand over to the LGBT community.

Understand the point you are making but worth remembering they are playing two leagues below us.

The other thing, which in my view is a poor reflection of things, is that the Premiership clubs seemingly don't want to encourage the traditional support of boozed up young men having a good day out, but expand the 'family' club,... and embrace local residents, or give an entire stand over to the LGBT community.

Don't be a hysterical drama queen.

Our Support

Everything achieved from the depth's of the 10 point deduction and our rise up from League 1 to the upper echolon's of the premier has been lost.

The spirit from the dressing room and through the four corners of the ground from the meteoric rise through the divisions has disappeared.

We are now firmly established in the 'Premier League Show' with all its greed, mercenary players, spiv chairman, agents and managers all chasing more wealth beyond there wildness needs.

Our support has become fickled, built on expectation beyond our financial realities. We proclaim that we bleed red and white, we'd would die for the saints and we support the Saints through thick and thin, yet bleed and vent on social media within minutes of any given game finishing about our latest whinge or our ever devouring need to have a St Marys whipping boy.

I've read the comment on the Huddersfield support yesterday, that was St Marys when we reached the Holy Grail a few years back and give it a few years and Huddersfield are firmly ensconced in 'The Show' i am sure all the qualities that got them to the promised land will disappear under the same weight of expectation.

Complacency runs through this club and and its support from top to bottom.

There was a time when the team had a set back at St Marys all four sides would rise and carry the team through and already just 3 games in we are buried under a xxit storm of negativity.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed that with the possible exception of Romeu, according to a whole range of Social Media outlets frequented by through 'thick and thin' supporters our entire squad is gash. The thing is within the first sentence you can work out that some of these 'supporters' don't actually go to games yet jump on the Tadic, Redmond, JWP, Yoshida, Davis or whatever negativity is running through the Ethernet on any given day.

Rant over and back to the sunshine.

Our Support

Everything achieved from the depth's of the 10 point deduction and our rise up from League 1 to the upper echolon's of the premier has been lost.

The spirit from the dressing room and through the four corners of the ground from the meteoric rise through the divisions has disappeared.

We are now firmly established in the 'Premier League Show' with all its greed, mercenary players, spiv chairman, agents and managers all chasing more wealth beyond there wildness needs.

Our support has become fickled, built on expectation beyond our financial realities. We proclaim that we bleed red and white, we'd would die for the saints and we support the Saints through thick and thin, yet bleed and vent on social media within minutes of any given game finishing about our latest whinge or our ever devouring need to have a St Marys whipping boy.

I've read the comment on the Huddersfield support yesterday, that was St Marys when we reached the Holy Grail a few years back and give it a few years and Huddersfield are firmly ensconced in 'The Show' i am sure all the qualities that got them to the promised land will disappear under the same weight of expectation.

Complacency runs through this club and and its support from top to bottom.

There was a time when the team had a set back at St Marys all four sides would rise and carry the team through and already just 3 games in we are buried under a xxit storm of negativity.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed that with the possible exception of Romeu, according to a whole range of Social Media outlets frequented by through 'thick and thin' supporters our entire squad is gash. The thing is within the first sentence you can work out that some of these 'supporters' don't actually go to games yet jump on the Tadic, Redmond, JWP, Yoshida, Davis or whatever negativity is running through the Ethernet on any given day.

Rant over and back to the sunshine.

All four sides at St.Marys - in your words "do you actually go to games"?

Again it's nothing new, Lawrie McMenemy always said that we were a quiet bunch, but get us going and we are pretty noisy. He told the players don't wait for the crowd to get you going you have to get the crowd going, because overall they are a knowledgable lot.

The comparisons to the League one Championship days support back this up, we all watched swashbuckling marauding football overall, that's how we got promoted 2 seasons running, the team played with a purpose we had goals raining in from all over the pitch. The second half of Koemans last season we were up and at teams and the crowd responded. Once dear old Claude got his feet under the table we have played almost going through the motions football, with very little pazzazz it's almost predictable which is no doubt why the goals have dried up. At the moment Pellegrino is trying to get the players to move the ball quicker from the side lines but yet the players still seem to be playing the inert football we were for big chunks of last season, there is no little or no spark it ignite the fans.

On Saturday Huddersfield fans were noisy with the drummer banging away, and the bloke down the front with the loud hailer orchestrating the songs. But the Saints fans were not watching much of a huff and puff from the team more of the usual wheeze. And that was reflected pretty much across our small crowd.

Driving "home" in the car Mrs JBS, my Sister and Bro in Law all commented on how quiet I was throughout the game, I guess I have gotten use to watching Saints players going through the motions and not playing how they could and should, no one is taking the game by the scruff of the neck to enthuse me right now, and going by the lack of noise I am not alone. What's worrying is if I feel like that, and I am part of the hardcore support of many years, then that is a concerning situation we find ourselves in.

firstly credit to huddersfields support,coz they didn't give us a chance to get going with that ****ing drummer all game and the geezer with the megaphone.

secondly 1500 when we could have had an 2400 allocation doesn't help.

thirdly we are now back to boring old premier league where we've really **** all to play for apart from cup runs,and one of those we've ****ed up already.

fourthly,griffo isn't around to get everyone going.

fifth,think our superstars need to maybe hit the target and score and then we may have something to sing about.

sixth,i'd take getting relegated just to get back to enjoying away days again where our support was class coming up through the divisions.

Edited by rick1976.4.38
spelling

Again it's nothing new, Lawrie McMenemy always said that we were a quiet bunch, but get us going and we are pretty noisy. He told the players don't wait for the crowd to get you going you have to get the crowd going, because overall they are a knowledgable lot.

The comparisons to the League one Championship days support back this up, we all watched swashbuckling marauding football overall, that's how we got promoted 2 seasons running, the team played with a purpose we had goals raining in from all over the pitch. The second half of Koemans last season we were up and at teams and the crowd responded. Once dear old Claude got his feet under the table we have played almost going through the motions football, with very little pazzazz it's almost predictable which is no doubt why the goals have dried up. At the moment Pellegrino is trying to get the players to move the ball quicker from the side lines but yet the players still seem to be playing the inert football we were for big chunks of last season, there is no little or no spark it ignite the fans.

On Saturday Huddersfield fans were noisy with the drummer banging away, and the bloke down the front with the loud hailer orchestrating the songs. But the Saints fans were not watching much of a huff and puff from the team more of the usual wheeze. And that was reflected pretty much across our small crowd.

Driving "home" in the car Mrs JBS, my Sister and Bro in Law all commented on how quiet I was throughout the game, I guess I have gotten use to watching Saints players going through the motions and not playing how they could and should, no one is taking the game by the scruff of the neck to enthuse me right now, and going by the lack of noise I am not alone. What's worrying is if I feel like that, and I am part of the hardcore support of many years, then that is a concerning situation we find ourselves in.

Even as we had plenty to cheer as we progressed up the leagues, let's not pretend it was a bed of roses. Remember our support was very fickle at the start of the 2010/11 season, if not toxic (Rochdale and Swindon games stick out). That didn't initially change when we appointed Adkins as manager. While he is rightly seen as a legend now, there was plenty of groaning and grumbling. It was only after we beat Huddersfield, of all teams in a make or break game during the Xmas period that the tide began to turn.

All credit to Huddersfield, their fans made a hell of a racket on Saturday, and they had a lot of songs too surprisingly. That's the quietest I've ever heard our away support.

Can't stand that ground - the distance from the pitch, shallow stands, open corners etc. Coupled with that, they make decent noise. Our support was pîss-poor when we went up there in August 2009. The listless play and summer heat never helps either.

Edited by shurlock

Ah, the famous Southampton wall of silence. Nothing worse than Swansea away last season. Absolutely terrible.

Not quite sure what it is exactly - but anyone that blames it on the team doesn't get the bit about "supporting"...doesn't matter how crap the team is, just get on with it. Definitely suffer from a lack of songs...the problem is we only have OWTS and player songs. We don't have enough generic Saints songs to sing...they are the ones that will always stick. Although, to make matters worse we invent about 7 songs each for two favourite players and ignore everyone else.

Also, too many morons who would rather get on the back of the team....maybe these fans just feel entitled because they only started coming in League One and never saw a team before that...for much of the 90s were were garbage, but we got behind the team. Even in the Poortvliet/Wotte season the support was better.

I don't think there is much hope of things improving, to be honest.

Let's get the Woolston Ferry song going, maybe adapt it to add some mention of Saints in there.

Edited by red&white56