How do you solve a problem like Van Dijk

SO16_Saint

Yep, although the key thing I read into Pellegino's answer is what he didn't say rather than what he did say. He could have easily responded "Virgil won't be ready for the game this weekend" to the journo's question but he chose to be vague instead. Of course, he may have no intention whatsoever of considering VvD for selection, and is simply wanting to sow seeds of doubt in Watford's minds, but the fact he avoided ruling it out suggests to me that VvD is in contention for the squad on Saturday.

I'd go along with that, it certainly doesn't hurt to keep the opposition guessing.

I want to see 100% from VVD. great defending, towering headers then I'll support him 100%. If he falls short and doesn't give his all he'll get it point blank.

He will do nothing else but give it 100%. If clubs see him playing badly they may feel it's because of his injury and then effect whether they are still interested in him.

I was thinking the title could now be changed to Van Dijk can solve a problem...along with Hoedt we might actually look threatening from an attacking corner at the moment we look like a pussy with no claws.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/10/short-corners-may-be-widely-despised-but-they-are-helping-teams/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/27/in-defence-of-the-corner-a-much-maligned-set-piece

With approximately a 3% chance of scoring from any corner across the entire division, I'm not particularly bothered whether we look like scoring from them or not tbh.

The only thing strange about our corner tactics is that we cross the ball all the time in open play when two of our best headers are at the other end of the pitch.

Ahh this one again....Liverpool's manager met face to face with a player under contract to another club without permission...if you have evidence of saints doing the same feel free to share.

And maybe at the same time, he can find a club that is right royally ****ed off with us for signing (or trying to) one of their players?

• 3 months later...
VvD's people, so I'll assume agent, met this week with representatives of City and Chelsea, with the permission of Saints.

One of the 1st questions they asked City was would VvD get enough games in to qualify for a PL winners medal.

I maybe able to find out more on Saturday.

That’s interesting, thanks.

The lack of a definitive “he’s not going” statement in the lead up to the Jan transfer window, together with Pellegrino’s “it’s up to the board, not me” type comments in the media, make me think that something could be happening. Perhaps the club is looking to fund some attacking options this window.

VvD's people, so I'll assume agent, met this week with representatives of City and Chelsea, with the permission of Saints.

One of the 1st questions they asked City was would VvD get enough games in to qualify for a PL winners medal.

I maybe able to find out more on Saturday.

Good - should have gone in the Summer.

If we do sell him, make sure it's AFTER we've done our own business. If other clubs know we've got loads of money to burn they will rip us off.

That's assuming we are going to be in the market. We sold Fonte and then dithered around and had to bring in Caceres on a free, so who knows what Les will be up to.

If we do sell him, make sure it's AFTER we've done our own business. If other clubs know we've got loads of money to burn they will rip us off.

That's assuming we are going to be in the market. We sold Fonte and then dithered around and had to bring in Caceres on a free, so who knows what Les will be up to.

Exactly this.

Also wonder if could generate some kind of swap/loan-with-an-option arrangement. Would make sense given our need to strengthen/refresh in other positions. Sure there must be a couple of suitable, young-hungry types at Chelsea and City.

Best outcome for all parties. We had to take a stand against those ****s from Merseyside, even if it had a negative short term effect (FWIW, I don't think he's been anywhere near as bad as some have made out and on the whole has been relatively professional)

Les should do the former but the disasterous Jan window last time suggests the latter.

Agree Suhari, City or Chelsea must have a few fringe players that have the pace, strength or other attributes we are seeking that we could loan/perm as we did with Bertrand? Little risk for players if we go down as they won't be tied to joining but short-term the team needs a major injection of pace and energy.

This whole episode is nearly enough to make me give up on football, at least at Premier level.

Saints have done just about everything possible to keep a player to his contract, but Van Dijk has proved that any selfish player wanting to move on at any cost, including inflicting the maximum damage on the club currently paying him, can do so with impunity

I hoped that we had made a stand, but ultimately it's failed, damaged the club and team morale.

Agents and the media will be rubbing their hands that dirty business as usual can be resumed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Do Mahrez and Coutinho have a different agent to Van Dijk?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Believe so but it shouldn’t matter - VVD is astonishlngly unprofessional and the whole saga has certainly affected the club very badly. Can only hope by his leaving that we can get some of the other rotten apples out as well and an influx of several new first team players with the strength, pace and backbone we need lifts morale

The person at fault for VVD is Reed. Ultimately he’s the one in charge of contracts and whether players leave or not and he has not been able to convince players like VVD, and Bertrand etc. that they still have a career here with a team doing good things whilst looking for a truly top team to move to. The ‘strategy’ of Reed et. al. has fundamentally not worked and they need to rethink ASAP or we are going to continue on a downward spiral and not towards the European competition that Chairman Gao has been sold. They can sack the manager but it will not stop the problems that come with having a football board that is set up to be average. Unless of course that is the real aim. Problem is, when you aim for average you can miss and go to the lower level. That is Saints right now

Keeping him was pointless and was never going to achieve anything positive. We should have sold him in the summer, and having made the wrong choice we need to negotiate the best deal, preferably involving players coming out way, to give us a chance of staying up.

Edited by egg