How do you solve a problem like Van Dijk

SO16_Saint

Even tho they won they need Luxembourg to do them a favour against Sweden and they need to beat Belarus over there and then smash Sweden by 3 clear goals in Netherlands as their current goal difference is +6 in Sweden's favour.

My guess of what will happen is Sweden win 4-0 and then Dutch will win 1-0 against Belarus and then need to win 9 - 0 against Sweden.

With The Netherland's World Cup hopes taking a bit of an upturn over the weekend you would think he would want to be part of their next two make or break matches at the beginning of October.

He needs to be very careful and think about what he's doing rather than being led by the dangly bits by an agent who doesnt give a toss when he plays as long as he gets his cut !

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are not available for your club, then you cannot play for your country.

As football is a team game I'm not sure training on his own is going to do much for his footballing skills. He might be physically fit but 18 months of not kicking a ball, in a game, isn't going to make him more desirable to big teams next summer.
He could sit out the whole season and he would still be very desirable to the top teams. If anything it could prolong his career in the longer term so I wouldn't cling to this (or anything World Cup related either) to determine what he does.

Even tho they won they need Luxembourg to do them a favour against Sweden and they need to beat Belarus over there and then smash Sweden by 3 clear goals in Netherlands as their current goal difference is +6 in Sweden's favour.

My guess of what will happen is Sweden win 4-0 and then Dutch will win 1-0 against Belarus and then need to win 9 - 0 against Sweden.

Even if they win both games and come 2nd, there is a reasonable chance they'll miss out as only 8 of the 9 second place teams make the playoffs. Currently their group is behind points wise vs the other 2nd placed teams.

With The Netherland's World Cup hopes taking a bit of an upturn over the weekend you would think he would want to be part of their next two make or break matches at the beginning of October.

He needs to be very careful and think about what he's doing rather than being led by the dangly bits by an agent who doesnt give a toss when he plays as long as he gets his cut !

I find it quite amusing that Advocaat basically told us to sell him to Liverpool, and then we go and sign his other CB.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are not available for your club, then you cannot play for your country.

You'd like to think that he wouldn't be selected for his country if he isn't making himself available for his club, but it is down to the International manager I would imagine.

Minor update.

He has been training and training well, on his own everyday since deadline day.

He is still fuming.

Don't expect him back with the 1st team anytime soon.

Won't he be training alone because everyone else is off on International Duty? ;)

He could sit out the whole season and he would still be very desirable to the top teams. If anything it could prolong his career in the longer term so I wouldn't cling to this (or anything World Cup related either) to determine what he does.

Not if we stick to our 65million plus valuation he won't. Not a single club bid for him this summer despite his stock, allegedly, being at an all time high. Why would he be more desirable in years time having not played for a whole season? We have, it seems, told him we won't sell to Liverpool at any price which means he needs to wow the other big clubs to get the move he wants. Refusing to play all season is unlikely to do that.

Isn't this what happened with Berahino? Wanted to go. Sulked when he wasn't allowed. Didn't play much more until eventually sold at a cut price.

Guess it depends if VVD want's to be out of the game for another 4-5 months. (I think Berahnio put out a statement about not wanting to play for the chairman again.. so perhaps we can expect one from VVD about Les :) )

We should have sold him, and invested the money in the 2 quality players to help our attack. More fool us if we think wasting a few months and selling January is of any benefit. The players would be just as content if we showed ambition on the field and actually looked like we could achieve something.

We should have sold him, and invested the money in the 2 quality players to help our attack. More fool us if we think wasting a few months and selling January is of any benefit. The players would be just as content if we showed ambition on the field and actually looked like we could achieve something.

You would be the first complaining that we bowed to the pressure, what example does that set to other players? Didn't you understand that the club wanted to set down a marker this summer?

What makes you think we will sell in January?

Isn't this what happened with Berahino? Wanted to go. Sulked when he wasn't allowed. Didn't play much more until eventually sold at a cut price.

Guess it depends if VVD want's to be out of the game for another 4-5 months. (I think Berahnio put out a statement about not wanting to play for the chairman again.. so perhaps we can expect one from VVD about Les :) )

Berahino only had a year left on his contract though didn't he? Also he wanted a move to spurs but thanks to his attitude ended up at Stoke.....

VVD could follow the same route I guess and end up as a cut price deal to Burnley or something....

You would be the first complaining that we bowed to the pressure, what example does that set to other players? Didn't you understand that the club wanted to set down a marker this summer?

What makes you think we will sell in January?

I noticed that most of the we should have sold him crowd are the same ones who normally go full meltdown every time we sell one of our good players.....

I noticed that most of the we should have sold him crowd are the same ones who normally go full meltdown every time we sell one of our good players.....

Whilst I would have liked another forward its not quite that simple in reality to find someone that is available, would come to us, fit in with the managers plans and accept the wages we offer. Selling VVD wouldn't have helped much on that-what I found interesting was the number of loans in the summer were last seasons panic buys at a few clubs.

How many goals has Berahino got since leaving WBA?

Less time to run on his contract for a start, VVD would have to do this for 4 more years.

Plus there was the added complication of Berahino failing a drugs test, which prolonged his absence.

The fact is that he didn't get the big move he wanted, sulked, went mental, ended up getting a move. But had to go sideways to Stoke, and by all accounts he has been garbage for them. He's put doubt on a promising career by essentially being greedy. I don't think VVD is as dim as that though.

If he decides to sit it out till January then he'd have been out of the game for the best part of a year. He still wouldn't have proved he was the same player as before his injury and will be a fair way from match sharpness. And if some take a dim view to his behaviour over that period then he may find even Liverpool might raise question marks with his character. Afterall, 2 years down the line with the scousers and he may be playing the same game to get his dream move to Barca.

I'd have thought the best time for him to 're-integrate' was at the same time the other players come back from international duty. Imagine it would be a slightly easier transition than if he were the only player coming back into the fold.

That of course assumes he is willing.

I was hoping he'd knuckle down once the window shut. If he's planning on being "not in a fit mental state to play" on an ongoing basis then he is a bigger jackass than I originally thought.

If he's having mental issues maybe he should get a doctors note and after 7 days be signed off on statuary sick pay like the rest of us. He may even learn a lesson in how normal people have to live on £90 a week should they be unable to work through illness.

If he's having mental issues maybe he should get a doctors note and after 7 days be signed off on statuary sick pay like the rest of us. He may even learn a lesson in how normal people have to live on £90 a week should they be unable to work through illness.

This comment both amuses me and appeals to my sense of justice. Such a salutary (sp?) lesson may just what is needed here.

Rather he didn't. Don't want his behaviour being subsidised by our taxes. Its bad enough that he gets paid by our club.

Saints have entered a team into the Southampton Senior Cup - The squad will be made up of mostly U18's but can include anyone who is registered to the club.

Give him (VVD) a game or 2 against a couple of teams from the Southampton League on Millbrook Rec and watch big Phil kick lumps out of him for 90 minutes. Hopefully that will bring him down to reality a bit.

In fact, whilst they should clearly **** it in terms of ability, it should be a good learning curve and a chance for the youngsters to see how privileged they really are.

If he decides to sit it out till January then he'd have been out of the game for the best part of a year. He still wouldn't have proved he was the same player as before his injury and will be a fair way from match sharpness. And if some take a dim view to his behaviour over that period then he may find even Liverpool might raise question marks with his character. Afterall, 2 years down the line with the scousers and he may be playing the same game to get his dream move to Barca.
if he refuses to play due to state of mind, I assume that will cost the club, as his value will drop. Liverpool will gain as well as he will have got his way. Perhaps it would be best to make it clear that under no circumstances will he be sold untilhe has played at least 20 more games for us. That may focus his mind

Minor update.

He has been training and training well, on his own everyday since deadline day.

He is still fuming.

Don't expect him back with the 1st team anytime soon.

Another "ITK" bites the dust

And there's an Echo article which says this was the first day back for the players, as they were all given time off.

Edited by Pamplemousse

It sounds like he is fit, just match sharpness needed, will be interesting to see if he's on the bench on Saturday or if they give it a week , play for u23s on Monday then back in squad for Palace away.

Lets not jump the gun. A picture doesn't always tell the full story.