How do you solve a problem like Van Dijk

SO16_Saint

Can't wait to boo the Judas

Probably be drowned out by idiots singing his name though sadly he quickly forget

That'll make him feel like staying beyond January. I think he's behaved badly too, but we don't know how much of it was the agent. If he's repenting let's cut him some slack. We need him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That'll make him feel like staying beyond January. I think he's behaved badly too, but we don't know how much of it was the agent. If he's repenting let's cut him some slack. We need him.

A fair bit, if rumour is to be believed. Was it not said, that the agent would of received the most money, with a VVD move to Liverpool. The very same agents agitated RK's move to Everton. Yes, VVD has been a d1ck, but like DT, I suspect a lot of it was down to the agent.

If you are sat anywhere near me you'll get a mouthful. It's about the shirt not the man.

No its not its about his livelihood cant blame somebody wanting to better himself but the way he did it was appalling

That said I hope he knuckles down and plays well in the next few months not seen anything to suggest he will not

Has anybody seen anything to suggest otherwise

It seems to me as if SKD is so desperate for snippets that he's willing to believe anything that anyone says.

If I wanted unsubstantiated rumours I'd buy a copy of the Express.

Nope, I take everything with a pinch of salt and verify it against things i'm told by people I trust, who I know are correct.

Check my posts gobby, I don't belittle any of the itk, I just challenge know nothings like you,

Is Ryan still definitely leaving

I don't claim to be 'ITK' though. I get told little bits by a couple of people who work at the club (senior positions).

You seem to continue to reference the fact that I said Bertrand would be leaving... At the time of that post that was correct. Things change, as I've explained on a number of occasions, if Puel had remained and we had let him go, he would have. As it happens (and credit to the board) we refused to sell players we wanted to keep. Is he happy about that, not really, but he's acting like a professional should.

Believe it or not, to be honest I couldn't really give a *****, but I promise you, it was 100% accurate (at the time and his representatives had spoken to other clubs).

But well done for both proving my point in belittling those who try and provide what info they have :lol:

I'm not booing anyone, but interested to know people's thoughts on the difference between booing compared to shouting out stuff like "Tadic you're a ****ing waste of space you useless ****" as we routinely hear directed towards players.

Personally I don't see booing as any different to the audible groans which occur pretty much every time a player misplaces a pass.

Both are an outburst of dissatisfaction. Neither of them help.

I'm not booing anyone, but interested to know people's thoughts on the difference between booing compared to shouting out stuff like "Tadic you're a ****ing waste of space you useless ****" as we routinely hear directed towards players.

Personally I don't see booing as any different to the audible groans which occur pretty much every time a player misplaces a pass.

I see your point, but I think a boo gives a sense of ongoing disapproval, whereas a groan or a shout is frustration at a particular moment in time.

That being said, it does feel like the people who shout things like "you're a waste of space" have an axe to grind with that particular player and will shout it given half the chance, even if what they do isn't bad/has good intentions etc. I remember someone behind me shouting at Pelle for the entire game. His first comment was before the match had even kicked off... That isn't much different to booing to be honest.

I've supported SFC all my life and consider myself a mature male that is not prone to ridiculous outbursts when we lose a game. However unlike any player that has gone before him i personally believe VVD has behaved disgustingly and with contempt towards the club and fans that have paid for him to live such a privileged lifestyle.

Hand on heart i never want to see him in a Saints shirt again but know that he will be integrated back into the side and of course for the good of the team this must happen.

I will never cheer him again such is my disgust for this man/child.....however i will not boo him as that is clearly counter productive.

I don't know why i feel so strongly about this and more so than any other player that agitated for a move but i just cannot stand anything about VVD.

Barca, the problem with putting your hand on your heart and saying you don't want him at Saints again, is that that is exactly what his ploy was. So if that course of action is taken, he gets what he want by p1ssing all over the club in the way he has. I'm sure that there will be little to no contrition, and maybe the agent might get a bit of the blame shifted on to him. But still, while I agree with a lot of your sentiments, I will still not boo him unless he deliberately plays to the detriment of the team.

I've supported SFC all my life and consider myself a mature male that is not prone to ridiculous outbursts when we lose a game. However unlike any player that has gone before him i personally believe VVD has behaved disgustingly and with contempt towards the club and fans that have paid for him to live such a privileged lifestyle.

Hand on heart i never want to see him in a Saints shirt again but know that he will be integrated back into the side and of course for the good of the team this must happen.

I will never cheer him again such is my disgust for this man/child.....however i will not boo him as that is clearly counter productive.

I don't know why i feel so strongly about this and more so than any other player that agitated for a move but i just cannot stand anything about VVD.

Probably because we stood firm and didn't sell. Lallana & Lovren didn't last that long because we sold them fairly early on. I think the constant clamour by so many hateful, pitiful ex-Liverpool (and some not ex Liv) pundits has made it a particularly sour scenario, plus 'cryptic' (= ***ttish) social media posts from VVD don't help.

I understand why you feel that way, but plenty of others may have ended up like this given the opportunity...

When he plays again (sooner the better) I shall bury all my disappointment and disapproval and regard him as a Saint wearing the shirt and playing for my team. I am willing to believe that he was misguided by a greedy agent who thought we were a soft touch. He probably regrets what has happened, he was certainly badly advised and lets leave it at that and trust he plays so well that we rise the table and get £90m for him next summer. And they all lived happily ever after.

I won't boo, but I won't make excuses for his behaviour either. He's acted disgracefully and I fully expect him to continue acting like a nobber whilst he remains at the club. If he ever starts to try and repair the bridges he burnt with the club and fans, then I'll maybe think again, but until that time he can do one and I'd rather he wasn't given game time.

I never thought of it that way.

He should be on the bench Saturday. He's been keeping himself in good shape and is pretty much fit. I don't think he's going to play this out any longer. He'll knuckle down and play.

Don't know why some of you are getting your knickers in a twist though, it's three days until the next game. You'll know by then.

Who? Danny Butterfield? I don't even think he's registered, let alone able to sit on the bench

:lol:

Hasn't even played an U23 match since his injury, feel out with most people in the club over the summer and hasn't really trained much with the new manager. If he starts saturday i'd not only be shocked i'd think we've made a mistake.
I see your point and he probably won't start. But I do think he'll be on the bench and get some time.

Another way of looking at it is to get him on the pitch as soon as possible - worked with Morgan.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hasn't even played an U23 match since his injury, feel out with most people in the club over the summer and hasn't really trained much with the new manager. If he starts saturday i'd not only be shocked i'd think we've made a mistake.
Whilst I understand the concerns and issues around lack of match practice and/or fitness - and I suspect you'll be right about him not featuring this weekend - VvD strikes me as one of those players who is such a good footballer and a natural athlete that he could probably slot back into the team straight away with relative ease, or at least not need as much 'easing in' as most players.

My opinion isn't based on any tangible, logical or scientific evidence, it's just based on a hunch. But that's probably why I don't run a football club... :)

Edited by trousers

Fair or not, I still think he'll play. Some players just give a lift to those around them merely by being there. I remember how everyone grew an inch taller when FF returned from his injury after just one U23 game.

I suspect he will have played, or will play, a full scale 90 minutes this week behind closed doors. I would have done so.

Still got Van Dijk

Virgil Van Dijk

He didn't get his move to Liverpool

He may have shed a tear because we kept here

We still got Van Dijk.

I was thinking to the tune of the Supremes Stop! in the Name of Love

Stop! In the name of Klopp

Before you tap him up

Stop! In the name of Klopp

Before you tap him up

Think it over

Think it over

I've known of your Blackpool nights

I've even seen Liverpool

Maybe once or twice

But is there big wage packet

Worth more than our love and affection ?

But this time before you leave my club

And rush off to Klopp's charms

(Think it over) Haven't we been good to you ?

(Think it over) Haven't we been sweet to you ?

I see your point and he probably won't start. But I do think he'll be on the bench and get some time.

Another way of looking at it is to get him on the pitch as soon as possible - worked with Morgan.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This. Be it 20 mins or 5, get that first psychological step out the way and get him involved asap.

This. I will never, ever boo a player in a Saints shirt, amazed that any saints fan would.

I won't boo, but I also can't bring myself to chant his name. I think I could only do that if he made a public statement apologising and committing to staying at Saints beyond this season.

Also another point that seems to have been overlooked - when games against Liverpool come around, if he is back in the team can we trust him to put in a professional, 100% committed performance?

All this 'it's the agents fault' is utter boll0cks. He's a 26 year old man with his own mind. Do people really think that he's incapable of deciding for himself that he could play for a bigger club and could earn loads more money. He and he alone must take responsibility for his actions.

Just out of interest... To those planning to boo. What do you think it will achieve? Genuinely interested.

Quite. I think he's acted stupidly but I won't boo him and can't see that doing so would achieve anything, and certainly nothing positive.

All this 'it's the agents fault' is utter boll0cks. He's a 26 year old man with his own mind. Do people really think that he's incapable of deciding for himself that he could play for a bigger club and could earn loads more money. He and he alone must take responsibility for his actions.

The inherent fault lies with the fact that an agent gets a large pay day when a player moves, so has no real incentive for the player to stay apart from a minor retainer and a chunk of any advertising or endorsement deals that they arrange. And they can be persuasive, even if you think you are happy where you are.

So, no, don't agree with the 26 year old man who makes up his own mind, as if he is given a green and pleasant land, he may well plump for it.

My guess, if he's in the squad, when the names are announced, his will get the biggest cheer at SMS this weekend.

I bet you're right. For every fan who wants to boo, there will be 100 who still love VVD and are delighted that a player of his quality is still with us.

I think he's a cockwomble who needs to apologise just as publicly as he cried about being hard done by, but like with any player, they get my full support on the pitch and I won't ever boo. Off the pitch, go **** yourself, VVD.

I bet you're right. For every fan who wants to boo, there will be 100 who still love VVD and are delighted that a player of his quality is still with us.

I think he's a cockwomble who needs to apologise just as publicly as he cried about being hard done by, but like with any player, they get my full support on the pitch and I won't ever boo. Off the pitch, go **** yourself, VVD.

Yep - that's pretty much where I'm at, if they're on the pitch wearing the shirt they have my support. I'll be there with my boy on Saturday and will be going mental if we get a result - support the team - simple.

Meanwhile, the Daily Express is still going on about "it"........http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/850976/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Virgil-van-Dijk-January-Andy-Kelly-Southampton

Now I had no idea who this Andy Kelly is, but curiosity got the better of me (and I had to delve into the article), and he seems to be editor of the Liverpool Echo. I look forward to the build up and actual January window, and probably next summer's window as well.

Pellegrino on VvD at this afternoon's press conference when asked when VvD will be back in the team: "It depends on the player now. He needs to train and to play games. But we will decide in the future. Everything is normal. He is training with the team on the same level"

"Everything is normal" was the key line there. One presumes, therefore, that he is happy training and is happy to make himself available for first-team matches as and when the manager deems he is ready.

Yep, although the key thing I read into Pellegino's answer is what he didn't say rather than what he did say. He could have easily responded "Virgil won't be ready for the game this weekend" to the journo's question but he chose to be vague instead. Of course, he may have no intention whatsoever of considering VvD for selection, and is simply wanting to sow seeds of doubt in Watford's minds, but the fact he avoided ruling it out suggests to me that VvD is in contention for the squad on Saturday.

Edited by trousers

Yep, although the key thing I read into Pellegino's answer is what he didn't say rather than what he did say. He could have easily responded "Virgil won't be ready for the game this weekend" to the journo's question but he chose to be vague instead. Of course, he may have no intention whatsoever of considering VvD for selection, and is simply wanting to sow seeds of doubt in Watford's minds, but the fact he avoided ruling it out suggests to me that VvD is in contention for the squad on Saturday.

And he said he'd never heard of Lemina days before we signed him. Maybe he's deliberately vague, so equally wouldn't say VVD was unavailable for the game, even if he'd already come to that decision. Maybe that's his #schtick.

Edited by shurlock

It obviously depends on his attitude. Has he got his head round the fact he's staying until next summer at least, or is he going to be a cock in the Jan window. We can't really welcome him back from Sept to Dec & then have him sit out Jan like a baby. If he's got his head round that, if he's fit, then he's the first name on the team sheet.

I'm in the no boo, no cheer camp.

15:57

'VAN DIJK NOT READY TO RETURN'

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino says Virgil van Dijk needs to build up his fitness before he is considered for selection.

"[Van Dijk] is training with the team again," confirmed Pellegrino. "How long before we see him in a first-team match? It depends on the player.

"We know he is coming from a long period of time without playing a game. He needs to train and play games. I will decide in the future.

"As a player you have to show on the pitch how ready you are but for us and Virgil everything is now normal."

15:57

'VAN DIJK NOT READY TO RETURN'

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino says Virgil van Dijk needs to build up his fitness before he is considered for selection.

"[Van Dijk] is training with the team again," confirmed Pellegrino. "How long before we see him in a first-team match? It depends on the player.

"We know he is coming from a long period of time without playing a game. He needs to train and play games. I will decide in the future.

"As a player you have to show on the pitch how ready you are but for us and Virgil everything is now normal."

How on Earth do Sky come up with a definitive headline like that from such a non-definitive statement from Pellegrino?

It obviously depends on his attitude. Has he got his head round the fact he's staying until next summer at least, or is he going to be a cock in the Jan window. We can't really welcome him back from Sept to Dec & then have him sit out Jan like a baby. If he's got his head round that, if he's fit, then he's the first name on the team sheet.

I'm in the no boo, no cheer camp.

I'll be clapping at 2/3rds of my usual clapping speed, only only smiling with half my face, all the better to show my grudging approval lol #That'llLearn'Em