How do you solve a problem like Van Dijk

SO16_Saint

If he wants to get back in to the national team... if he wants a big money move in 12 months' time... if he wants to look back on his career and not see a great big gaping 12-18 month hole in it and think "if only"... then he'll get his head straight and play.

Try to integrate him. The primary reason for keeping him was to play for us. But a discussion has to take place to make sure he understands that nothing changes in the next window, or two, or more, unless he shows commitment in return for an agreement to listen to acceptable offers at some point.

And he needs to get his head round the fact that he would damage his own reputation far more than he would damage Saints by refusing to play, or playing half-heartedly.

If he can't do that, regrettably he will will have to continue to be isolated.

And, as an aside, I can't see that our position with LFC changes when we move into a new window. They've withdrawn interest. It'll be interesting to see how they can reopen interest without our initiative.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hopefully he'll put some serious effort into the rest of the season, rather than slacking during games like Mane did. Despite what's happened, the next few weeks will determine what sort of character he is in my eyes. The amount of time off he's had at the club's expense, he owes us. If he performs I'm happy to get behind him, after a game or two.

I'd hazard a guess we plan on reintegrating him into the first team - he's a huge asset that we cannot really have sitting around on his arse dragging a salary out of the club. That said, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we never see him in a Saints shirt again. He's been tapped up, had his head turned and has been so vocal about leaving that I really think he'll sulk his way to next summer. Where, again, the club doesn't have to sell him. Loan him out to Exeter when the loan window opens for lower league clubs.

For Saints, the best course of action would be to try and get a good season out of him, perhaps by "guaranteeing" him a transfer next summer. (Pending a transfer offer that meets our expectations. Which by then could be around the £90 million mark! :))

Of course Liverpool fans won't be done with this saga - they'll now be mouthing off about getting him on the cheap in January (forgetting he'll still have a 4 and a half year contract) or some such craziness...

I reckon just play him.

Start training Monday, decent snippets in the press about how is is getting back into 'working hard' and 'seeing what happens in the future'

with pics of him smiling and messing around on the training pitch

what did someone mention earlier....the club have an aim to have him in the side for the Palace game?

couple of weeks...no problem. Couple of behind doors friendlies/U23 games???

How many months is it that he hasn't played any football now? At least 6? I'd love to know the truth about the nature of that Vardy inflicted injury and since when he has been fit. His only option is to return to the team. he can't sulk the season away on strike in the reserves, as that would be 1 1/2 years not playing any proper football, which is curtains for his career.

Train him with the first team from tomorrow morning, Start him in the next reserve/youth game and as soon as fit play him in the first team. If he refuses to play or train fine him until he changes his mind if his attitude or performance stinks follow the clubs ususl disciplinary procedures.

He will play and play well then move on in the summer hopefully not to liverhampton!

It's a big issue. If we give him a squad place at the expense of another cb we've got to be convinced he'll knuckle down and play to his potential. If we're not convinced, for me it's a case of no squad number, sit in the stands and evaluate things in Jan. I remain to be convinced that his staying is a good thing but let's see how things go.

It's just going to rumble on all the way through to the January circus when he'll probably pull the same crap to try and escape.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think this suffocating cloud of negativity surrounding Van Dijk will hang over the club all season.

Integrate him.

Give him an incentive to play well, eg. internationals, possible big-money move next summer (eg. to Barca direct, not via the Northern Saints branch office).

In other words, treat him like all the other professionals and expect him to behave like one.

Ok, so now it's been confirmed that VVD is staying, what and how does the Club do?

Isolate him?

Integrate him?

What do we think?

He'll be sold in January. I doubt we'll see much of him before them. The fans hate him now so there will be few complaints when he's sold, although this long drawn out saga has probably driven his transfer value down.

I think him playing for us is the obvious plan.

The question for me is that of captaincy. Taking it away could be worse in him being grumpy the whole time with us but do we really need a wantaway captain?

He can't be captain.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chain him to the Bargate for a day, let the public do what they will ;-)

Seriously though there's sod all 'the club' can do other than act professionally and provide whatever support its players need / make the best decisions for the club as a whole, so it's totally down to him. He's an adult and can and will make his own decisions, I just hope he's learnt from those he made this summer.