How do you solve a problem like Van Dijk

SO16_Saint

Tell him we won't even consider selling him until he plays a full season, if everything is satisfactory we might then consider selling him. If we say we won't sell a player then he won't be sold. If he wants a transfer he will have to do two things reintegrate, do his best for the team and earn the club's consideration of his request, and forget about ever being sold to Liverpool because we won't do business with them.

If he acts like a child tell him he won't play until such time as the above conditions are met, don't even mention January or Liverpool.

As an aside we could offer to put a £200m buyout clause in his contract increasing each year with transfer fee inflation of those fees paid by the top four teams in France, Spain, Germany and Italy.

Edited by derry

Now that Holland almost definitely won't qualify he has even less incentive to play. Should be interesting.

IMO I thought with Sweden shock defeat yesterday their chances have improved slightly.

They now have HOME games against both their rivals Bulgaria and Sweden, win both and they could/will be 2nd and into the Playoffs in Nov.

Sweden (13pts), Bulgaria (12pts) Holland (10pts)

I'd say we need a public apology from him to assuage fans and the club. We should also ask him to change agents, although the decision is ultimately his.

We should tell him that we aren't willing to consider or even discuss a transfer until June. Even then, we think it unlikely that we will be minded to sell him and impossible that we will sell him to Liverpool.

Let's not tempt him back out of the woodwork.

Whats you're problem? its like you think I should know absolutely everything going on at the club or else none of what I've been told and have shared is right. And that deals the club makes or are trying to make are always cut and dried like if I say one thing and it doesn't happen, then what I said was a wind up. I don't know what world you live in but in mine things change from time to time. Doesn't mean the information I had and shared was wrong or lies.

Go **** yourself you can find out (filtered) news through the OS. My number one concern is protecting my source not too satisfy ****s like you.

Whats you're problem? its like you think I should know absolutely everything going on at the club or else none of what I've been told and have shared is right. And that deals the club makes or are trying to make are always cut and dried like if I say one thing and it doesn't happen, then what I said was a wind up. I don't know what world you live in but in mine things change from time to time. Doesn't mean the information I had and shared was wrong or lies.

Go **** yourself you can find out (filtered) news through the OS. My number one concern is protecting my source not too satisfy ****s like you.

Well said.

Keep posting mate... So how did VVD react?

IMO I thought with Sweden shock defeat yesterday their chances have improved slightly.

They now have HOME games against both their rivals Bulgaria and Sweden, win both and they could/will be 2nd and into the Playoffs in Nov.

Sweden (13pts), Bulgaria (12pts) Holland (10pts)

You obviously didn't see the match then did you. They were just, well clueless. Shambles in defence, shambles in midfield and pretty much non-existant in attack. They won't qualify and Virgil will do whatever he decides to do without Holland's WC future being part of that. I think he'll play because for me his value has taken a serious hit this summer. Apart from the dippers no other club looked over interested, well not at the price bandied about anyway.

You're right, and thanks for what you've shared.

I confess to being sceptical initially, but it's clear you've tried to pass on what you can. Some on here don't get it that we're not playing a computer game, or that information is rarely concrete.

As you say, things change and I doubt anyone was 100% sure how the last few days would pan out. It was obvious we had plenty of resolve, but my guess is they were bracing themselves for an offer they couldn't refuse. I, and maybe you, were surprised it didn't come. But Virgil's still here and I hope you won't be put off sharing what you can.

From what you've suggested before, there's been at least one attempt to reintegrate him, without success. Interesting times ahead as we see whether he'll backtrack or sit it out indefinitely.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There was a load of info you were going to reveal on 1 Sept though, right?

Keep posting, they are just jealous ****s.

A website under the name of empire of the kop claims that Klopp will ' aggressively' target Van Dijk in January and next year on the basis that for Klopp it's Van Dijk or no one. On that basis it seems Liverpool would have to consider playing with 10 men.

The word 'delusional' is over-used these days but it is illogical to think that Southampton will decide not to keep its player after having demonstrated that the decision was final. Even some Saints' fans seem to think that one more season is good enough. Why on Earth do they think that when we have the player contracted for another 5 years? Under the policy as now stated, we should expect that players are only going to be sold if it suits the club to sell them, which for a player who doesn't want to extend his contract could be when there is one or two years left to go if the club want to get a fee for him, although we shouldn't rule out a player being kept to the end of his contract. Van Dijk could be here until he is 31 when he will have served Southampton for 7 years. Even he can't know if he'd still want to go after that.

It's only some died-in-the-wool fan saying Klopp will be aggressive because Klopp himself will know that if it becomes public knowledge that he's trapping up again, his club could face sanctions.

We value your insight, but please respect the forum rules. Anymore like this and you can go post somewhere else.

I note you haven't bothered to reply to my mail.

You're right, and thanks for what you've shared.

I confess to being sceptical initially, but it's clear you've tried to pass on what you can. Some on here don't get it that we're not playing a computer game, or that information is rarely concrete.

As you say, things change and I doubt anyone was 100% sure how the last few days would pan out. It was obvious we had plenty of resolve, but my guess is they were bracing themselves for an offer they couldn't refuse. I, and maybe you, were surprised it didn't come. But Virgil's still here and I hope you won't be put off sharing what you can.

From what you've suggested before, there's been at least one attempt to reintegrate him, without success. Interesting times ahead as we see whether he'll backtrack or sit it out indefinitely.

Sent from my IPad

using Tapatalk

Agree 100% - really appreciate the updates Tom, please keep them coming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd say we need a public apology from him to assuage fans and the club. We should also ask him to change agents, although the decision is ultimately his.

We should tell him that we aren't willing to consider or even discuss a transfer until June. Even then, we think it unlikely that we will be minded to sell him and impossible that we will sell him to Liverpool.

And anyway.....why do you need an agent when you've just signed a 6 year deal?

Realistically though, its man up and join the real challenge that is playing for SFC, or sit on you hands and let Jurgen keep the pressure on via the old boys network until being refused again in January. Depends where his sits on the footballing career v cash continuum

And anyway.....why do you need an agent when you've just signed a 6 year deal?

Realistically though, its man up and join the real challenge that is playing for SFC, or sit on you hands and let Jurgen keep the pressure on via the old boys network until being refused again in January. Depends where his sits on the footballing career v cash continuum

Fitness test him every week until he is match fit. Every week he doesn't make it fine him for not doing his job according to his contract.

Play him at under 20 level for a few mins until he is match ready.

VVD now needs to wise up and be professional.

The management should continue with the tough love until he is ready physically and mentally to play in the first team again...

He can't keep up this "my head's not right" nonsense. He will be back with the 1st team, and then he'll get selected. It's ne thing dicking the club about, but if he takes the field and lets down his team mates, they will be merciless. I can't see him doing that.

I expect him to be professional. There are no guarantees that Klipity Klopp will be back for him next July. He might be out of a job after failing to make the group stages, getting knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round and languishing in a frankly laughable 8th place. If you keep signing players from the 8th best team, you'll eventually finish 8th.

I wouldnt bite mate . Snide comments and abuse on here are common .

The ' abuse won't be tolerated ' is not enforced by the mods unfortunately.

Some of us appreciate any insight we can get

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

As far as VVD goes I think the board should address why VVD became disillusioned in the first place .

If he was totally happy at Saints then this wouldn't have happened , not 6 months into his new contract .

How do you know he was "disillusioned" at Saints? It might just be about different degrees of 'happiness'. I'd be happy with a 4 star hotel but even happier with a 5 star hotel. Or something.

As far as VVD goes I think the board should address why VVD became disillusioned in the first place .

If he was totally happy at Saints then this wouldn't have happened , not 6 months into his new contract .

I would have put it differently.

Virgil should address why, only six months after signing a six year contract and making lots of noise about his commitment to Saints, he allowed his agent to advise him so badly.

I cannot lay any blame at the club's door. They gave him an improved contract and the captaincy. If, as alleged, he didn't get on with the manager, well, he's gone. If he wanted more ambition, he's got his international partner to play alongside him, and a strengthened midfield.

No, this is pure greed.

According to the Sam Wallace Telegraph article that I posted on the other VVD thread, "the consensus is that only he can decide when he is ready to feature for the club again."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/09/01/virgil-van-dijk-staying-put-southampton-shows-saints-sticking/

Edited by Saint Albert
Link added

I would have put it differently.

Virgil should address why, only six months after signing a six year contract and making lots of noise about his commitment to Saints, he allowed his agent to advise him so badly.

I cannot lay any blame at the club's door. They gave him an improved contract and the captaincy. If, as alleged, he didn't get on with the manager, well, he's gone. If he wanted more ambition, he's got his international partner to play alongside him, and a strengthened midfield.

If he really wanted regular European competition hed have stayed at Celtic.

No, this is pure greed.

Agreed Shroppie.

I think it's fairly obvious why he became disillusioned, he was tapped up. If I was any of the top football clubs in the world, I would run a mile from someone as unprofessional as VVD......

MERSE SAYS: People will look at Southampton and say they've kept Virgil van Dijk, but I honestly don't think he will play. They have kept an unhappy player and after everything that has gone on there I'd be shocked if he gets back in the team and I think they will get rid of him in January when someone will pay silly money. They've bought him for little money, so why not go and make a massive profit? They were just determined not to let Liverpool have him

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15205/11014124/mersons-transfer-window-grades

MERSE SAYS: People will look at Southampton and say they've kept Virgil van Dijk, but I honestly don't think he will play. They have kept an unhappy player and after everything that has gone on there I'd be shocked if he gets back in the team and I think they will get rid of him in January when someone will pay silly money. They've bought him for little money, so why not go and make a massive profit? They were just determined not to let Liverpool have him

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15205/11014124/mersons-transfer-window-grades

Just what I'd expect from that disgusting individual. How dare little Southampton not bend over for Liverpool.

merse also blasted the signing of Zappacosta by Chelsea. He said this will block English talent like Moses

:|

According to the Sam Wallace Telegraph article that I posted on the other VVD thread, "the consensus is that only he can decide when he is ready to feature for the club again."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/09/01/virgil-van-dijk-staying-put-southampton-shows-saints-sticking/

So lets say he decides he can't play for the whole season that would make it 18 odd months since he kicked a ball in an actual game. How many big clubs are going to be looking to sign a player who hasn't played a game for 18 months and we still don't have to sell him next summer either. At the end of the day VVD ultimately ends up harming his own career more by not playing than he does saints.

Edited by doddisalegend

So lets say he decides he can't play for the whole season that would make it 18 odd months since he kicked a ball in an actually game how many big clubs are going to be looking to sign a player who hasn't played a game for 18 months and we still don't have to sell him next summer either. At the end of the day VVD ultimately ends up harming his own career more by not playing than he does saints.
I'm wondering just when this will sink in and he'll stop believing that Saints will cave in soon.

So lets say he decides he can't play for the whole season that would make it 18 odd months since he kicked a ball in an actually game how many big clubs are going to be looking to sign a player who hasn't played a game for 18 months and we still don't have to sell him next summer either. At the end of the day VVD ultimately ends up harming his own career more by not playing than he does saints.

Yep. If I was him, I'd suck it up, take my medicine and go as quickly back into the first team as possible. Delaying it will make it worse and may test the supporters' already strained patience. Sort of like ripping off a Band-Aid. Perhaps try and help Holland with crucial upcoming games against Sweden and Bulgaria as well, if helping Saints is less appealing to him.

Isn't it time Matt Letis had a quiet word with Merson ? Something involving a massive slap.