What Did We Achieve Today

Gemmel

I personally think that the reason there were no bids from the clubs that could afford to bid, was that they were all in the tap up club. Therefore not only Liverpool but the others were going to face the wrath of SFC and the possibility of a transfer ban which LFC had a close shave with. Until SFC invited bids nobody could put a bid in without exposing themselves to possible sanction. All they could do, use their pet publications, pundits and ex players to keep pushing VVD into trying to force an exit which only hacked off SFC even more.

We didnt achieve anything 'unless' we never do any transfer deals with scousers for years to come and Van dickhead has to rot in the stands and never play for our club again.

We haven't just turned down 70M to let VvD rot in the stands :lol:

If he wants to do that himself now, that's up to him.

Saints proved that the only way we can keep hold of top players is by forcing them to stay .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

With that sort of post, one can only conclude you either don't support Southampton, know nothing about Southampton, or are simply incapable of seeing the positives of any situation.

That's a fair 'small picture' point of view but, as Jimmy_D says, there are potentially consequential benefits if we look at the bigger picture.

I choose to focus on tangible, measurable results as a method of evaluation versus speculative "benefits" as one could just as easily make a list of potentially negative consequences arising from this decision as well, particularly those that impact future ability to sign ambitious players in the same mold as VVD.

I negotiate contracts for a living and the only thing I am certain of is that this VVD episode will be a point of discussion in future negotiations featuring competent representation. Whether it is a positive or a negative for Saints depends on the skills of the attorney involved. If VVD continues to hold out, things will not be good for Saints on this front, so reintegration must be of highest priority.

There is a good article in the Torygraph that sounds imo as if it has come straight from Ralph or Les

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/09/01/virgil-van-dijk-staying-put-southampton-shows-saints-sticking/

The most important paragraph for me that should be read by all "bin dippers" and the other non-Saints supporters on here :-

With Southampton unlikely to deal with Liverpool over the player, Van Dijk may well have to persuade a new suitor to make a big offer for him if he wants to leave in the future. In order to do that the 26-year-old knows that he will have to impress on the pitch once again.

Saints proved that the only way we can keep hold of top players is by forcing them to stay .

Still putting out the crap.... you are a bit pathetic

Why can you not be pleased for the club just once... try it you might find people respond better to your posts...

I am pleased we held firm, I think this summer had been very interesting in the transfer market, not only have many clubs held firm (us, Leicester, pool, red bull, gunners) over their wantaway stars, we've also seen absurd transfer fees and the implications for FFP will be interesting (would love to see UEFA find their balls and punish PSG) and we've also seen quite an array of player behaviour with sadly VVD being the worst of the bunch, Mahrez has shown the way as how to be a player who wants to move but still respects his employers and remain professional. Plus we've even seen the likes of Cedric come out and say he's happy to stay which is rarity these days. I'd also be interested to see what the reason Barkley turned Chelsea was and I really hope it's because he wants to play football.

There is a good article in the Torygraph that sounds imo as if it has come straight from Ralph or Les

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/09/01/virgil-van-dijk-staying-put-southampton-shows-saints-sticking/

The most important paragraph for me that should be read by all "bin dippers" and the other non-Saints supporters on here :-

Really good article and quite obviously from within side the club.

I'd also be interested to see what the reason Barkley turned Chelsea was and I really hope it's because he wants to play football.

He won't play football at Everton.

My best guess (And that's all it is) is that he failed his medical (I know he apparently didn't turn up for it, cough cough) and Chelsea have been kind enough to allow him, his explanation.

Still putting out the crap.... you are a bit pathetic

Why can you not be pleased for the club just once... try it you might find people respond better to your posts...

Still throwing abuse at posters ? Shame St Chalet doesn't enforce Saintsweb rules more often .

I would prefer Saints was a team that top players wanted to play for rather than being forced to .

Still throwing abuse at posters ? Shame St Chalet doesn't enforce Saintsweb rules more often .

I would prefer Saints was a team that top players wanted to play for rather than being forced to .

To do that we would have to be a regular top 4 club, but then you know that don't you? Lets not pretend that these players were forced to come here or to sign extended contracts. The reason they want to go is that bigger clubs come in for them. It would be the same with any club outside of the big ones. But then you know that too.

To do that we would have to be a regular top 4 club, but then you know that don't you? Lets not pretend that these players were forced to come here or to sign extended contracts. The reason they want to go is that bigger clubs come in for them. It would be the same with any club outside of the big ones. But then you know that too.
Of course I know that . This is why I felt VVD should have been sold and use the money to increase the quality in key areas . The better we play the more the players tend enjoy themselves . Happy players don't tend to look elsewhere as soon .

This is not meant to be an over the top emotional post, but more a genuine question.

Many on here would have sold and moved on, but it really feels like we have achieved something tonight by keeping VVD and I am sure there are many Chairman and Directors of clubs our size raising a glass to us tonight.

Football is getting silly in terms of money, but little Southampton stood strong. Ironically so did liverpool....... but tomorrow could be a different story for them.

Did we win more than bragging rights, or am I just getting carried away.

What we achieved is to keep a disruptive and expensive asset at the club for the sake of pride.

Instead we could have sold him and bertrand for circa £85-90m and got in some genuine quality players.

Waisted window.

What we achieved is to keep a disruptive and expensive asset at the club for the sake of pride.

Instead we could have sold him and bertrand for circa £85-90m and got in some genuine quality players.

Waisted window.

You've not had your happy pills today have you? And once we have got rid of that player who was under tight contract, what next? Just let the next batch leave as and when they want to, in fact don't bother with any contractual arrangements - just have an open house and let players come and go as they see fit.

WASTED planning.

With a week having passed since the window closed its good to see that the club were true to their word. No key player was sold and the sales made were players with no future here. Not a perfect window as it does seem an attacking midfielder was wanted but a deal couldn't be made. Wonder if that means we can expect one more player coming in ,January.