Richard Chaplow. A story...

The Saint

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41079838

The kind of story that can affect anyone, not just footballers.

I'm certainly not trying to deflect anything onto anyone, but you never know what's going on behind the scenes in their lives. If someone has issues off the field, it may make them seem uninterested when playing.

Something to think about before any criticism is levelled at any player..

Went to his house once, a smallish modern town house and they seemed a lovely natural family, kids running round outside with dad and wife doing the hoovering. No flash professional footballer image. An interesting read and can empathise with them.

Glad he's doing well after that ordeal.

You're right about the rush to judgment though. Even if your circumstances aren't as tough as those faced by Chaplow, Sharp, Arter et al, the pressure and psychological burden of being a top footballer can weigh heavily on people.

Really pleased for him and his family that they are getting their lives back to together.

I understand the sentiment behind the OP, but this was a feak accident.

If a player is playing sh*te for us in this day-and-age its much more likely he's in a paddy over his contract, pay, or not being allowed to move on, than because something like this has happened...

Edited by alpine_saint

I went to the End of Season awards night after the promotion from League 1 season and was sat with Chappers and Dean Hammond. Two more down to earth blokes you couldn't hope to meet. Chappers was saying what a ballache it was getting trustworthy babysitters for his kids as his and his wife's parents lived up north. It struck me at the time that he had the same day to day issues that I had had in the past and so would many others in a 'normal' job. Top bloke and I hope it goes well in the States for them.

We also talked about the time he went in late on the Brighton keeper because "he desperately deserved it"...