VVD back in training!

conaero

I notice Harrison Reed and Ryan Seager have already been dropped to the bench for their respective lower league loan clubs.

Only one academy player called up to the England age groups for the last international period.

It seems like decline has set in right through the club on the football side. I'm sure it's not as melodramatic as that, but the sign aren't encouraging.

Again I think the young players are good enough but not being coached properly.

You put a promising youngster with Thiery Henry or Norman Hunter for 6 months and I see which one brings them through the best?

"In fact, Villa ran out 4-0 winners and, according to the Telegraph, van Dijk was culpable for at least three of the four goals – and he struggled all night with two teenage strikers."

Does VVD force us to sell him in January by his "great performance"? It is worrying and makes me remember the performance of Mane and Wanyama to ensure their respective exit from southampton.

Does VVD force us to sell him in January by his "great performance"? It is worrying and makes me remember the performance of Mane and Wanyama to ensure their respective exit from southampton.

This performance doesnt mean anything, the guy played his first matched since like 8 months. He needs to make minutes on the pitch thats the only thing that matters from yesterday.

VVD is a player who needs rhythm, there's nothing to worry about for now.

"In fact, Villa ran out 4-0 winners and, according to the Telegraph, van Dijk was culpable for at least three of the four goals – and he struggled all night with two teenage strikers."

Mane played badly to force an exit? Bull****.

wanyama maybe but mane never played badly in fact he improved massively in his last season with us

Is that any different from his usual style? He has always come across as being somewhat languid.

People are just looking for problems.

The usual trolls are probably petrified that he'll come back and Saints will start winning/scoring again. They are having so much fun at the moment with their, "I've been saying for ages....", bull****.

Edited by OttawaSaint

The usual trolls are probably petrified that he'll come back and Saints will start winning/scoring again. They are having so much fun at the moment with their, "I've been saying for ages....", bull****.

This. The forum is being overrun with the usual negative posters and trolls. The team's current performances are not helping but it's so tiring to follow any thread on here at the moment.

Without watching the game its difficult to judge but look at his positioning and the compelte lack of effort to defend those specific situations, (regardless of being out for 8/9 months) it very much looked like he couldn't be arsed. I don't care how rusty he is at the least he should be busting a gut. I have a feeling this well end messily in January with a sales a lower price than we could have achieved in August.

There aren't any trolls on this forum. How many more times does one have to reiterate this FFS.

:)

wanyama maybe but mane never played badly in fact he improved massively in his last season with us

You clearly weren't at the Sunderland home game then. Mane could not be bothered. I thought he was injured he was that disiniterested (only when we used all our subs and didn't take him off, did I figure he wasn't!)

I have never suspected that Mane deliberately played badly to try and force a move, and even in that game, he still looked lively when he got the ball, but his overall performance was poor due to the fact he couldn't be ar$ed to run around, so to say "Mane never played badly" is simply not true.

Again I think the young players are good enough but not being coached properly.

You put a promising youngster with Thiery Henry or Norman Hunter for 6 months and I see which one brings them through the best?

Are you saying that Henry is a good coach? What evidence do you have for this assertion?

Also, isn't it Martin "bite yer legs" Hunter?

You think submitting an official transfer request is worse than throwing a paddy on Twitter?

Had Schneiderlin just signed a new six year contract? Had he been privately meeting clubs, as is alleged with VVD? Did he train by himself all preseason and miss any league games in the hope the club would cave in at the 11th hour?

No. Schneiderlin had a Twitter outburst at a time when half the first team was being sold off. Big deal. The issue was put to bed almost as soon as it flared up.

I know some divs have selective memories (and apparently little self-respect) because VVD's still one of our players. Does it mean that people should boo him? IMO no, though I can understand why people are angry and do boo him. Does it mean that, over time, we can never sing his name again? Again no. But it does mean he has to earn our trust again on the pitch which starts by not whitewashing his behaviour off it.

Edited by shurlock

Shame on the Saints fans who cheered him today.

Yep, he has completely disrespected the club over the last few months and is only now playing as he really has no choice, not because he wants to. For the fans to now adoringly sing his name like nothing has happened was cringey tbh. Don't know if I'll boo him but I certainly won't be singing the ****'s name.

Before the game a lot of people in the pub were singing "we've got Van Dijk, Virgil Van Dijk, we just don't want u anymore." When it looked like he was coming on as sub today a fair few people started it - but quite a few started singing the versions we all know. Either way it petered out to nothing. There was some booing when he came on but probably not so much that he would notice. Whatever he has done I can't boo him. I just can't boo a Saints player whoever he is. At the end of the game he sort of walked toward us and waved - but didn't come close enough. I think he looked a bit embarrassed and was probably advised not to come too close!! I didn't get the impression of that much hatred toward him. Probably more ambivalence. But there are a lot of unhappy people in our fan base and I reckon he needs to make an apology pretty soon before he begins to get any support from us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny that the people criticising the booing for VVD are the ones sat behind a computer screen rather than spending the cash to go watch the team. Our "captain" handed in a transfer request a year after signing a new contract, completely disrespecting the club, had this secret meeting with Liverpool, yet gladly took his millionaires wage that those of us with menial jobs contribute towards by giving our money to watch Saints, buy shirts etc etc whilst he probably can't wait for the next transfer window so he can leave, yet the fans that boo are apparently out of order? Those moaning about it are probably the sort of people that would catch some bloke banging their mrs but rather than punch him would offer him a cup of tea.

Funny that the people criticising the booing for VVD are the ones sat behind a computer screen rather than spending the cash to go watch the team. Our "captain" handed in a transfer request a year after signing a new contract, completely disrespecting the club, had this secret meeting with Liverpool, yet gladly took his millionaires wage that those of us with menial jobs contribute towards by giving our money to watch Saints, buy shirts etc etc whilst he probably can't wait for the next transfer window so he can leave, yet the fans that boo are apparently out of order? Those moaning about it are probably the sort of people that would catch some bloke banging their mrs but rather than punch him would offer him a cup of tea.

Given the number of people cheering and singing his name, I'm sure there were plenty at the game who didn't like the booing. I spend money watching the team and think the booing is demented, but I didn't chant either.

What was the reaction like from the crowd? Couldn't really tell from the TV.

Pretty much an even split of booing and singing from where I was stood, though the chants were quieter to begin with.

I think MP has handled the entire VVD situation superbly to be honest. Not an easy situation to manage, but he took him out of the equation when he felt he needed to, and is now slowly reintegrating him back - not throwing him straight in, but giving him a few minutes like that - away from home, is very good management of the situation. I think MP, like Koeman had with Morgan, has got a real handle on the player management side.

Will expect to see him start next week.