VVD back in training!

conaero

I think that's a little harsh on JS. Of course he is behind vD and probably Hoedt, so his job now is to learn from the better players, so that when they leave, he will be able to step up much improved. Hard on him, esp given that he has had the taste of the PL, but that's the way it is. Having said that, I like watching him and am happy enough for him to take his place in the starting line up. Is he better than Yoshida?? That's the main question. And a lesser question is what happens to Gardos. You might also ask whether, given the disaster that the Wolves game was, is JS also being groomed to play as DM?

Don't know why people think Stephens is behind Hoedt. No-one has really seen Hoedt play, and especially not in the PL. He is younger than Stephens. He is also a left footer (left sided) so isn't really competition to Stephens anyway. I don't expect either VvD or Hoedt to start Saturday, it would be rash (and MP doesn't do rash) to drop both Stephens and Yoshida. VvD will surely come back in for the next game, assuming he is fit, but Wesley may have to bide his time. Still reasonably certain that MP will go 3/5 at the back at some stage, hence why we now have 6 CBs in the first team squad (not forgetting Bertrand is perfectly able to play there as well). Gardos and Bednarek will be lucky to get much of a look in, but an injury or two may change all that. When (if) we go for a back three I expect it to be Stephens/Yoshida, VvD and Hoedt. It will be harsh on Yoshida but I get the feeling he will be second choice to Stephens initially.

We'll see, perhaps MP will surprise and play one or both of our Dutch CBs at the weekend.

Don't know why people think Stephens is behind Hoedt. No-one has really seen Hoedt play, and especially not in the PL. He is younger than Stephens. He is also a left footer (left sided) so isn't really competition to Stephens anyway. I don't expect either VvD or Hoedt to start Saturday, it would be rash (and MP doesn't do rash) to drop both Stephens and Yoshida. VvD will surely come back in for the next game, assuming he is fit, but Wesley may have to bide his time. Still reasonably certain that MP will go 3/5 at the back at some stage, hence why we now have 6 CBs in the first team squad (not forgetting Bertrand is perfectly able to play there as well). Gardos and Bednarek will be lucky to get much of a look in, but an injury or two may change all that. When (if) we go for a back three I expect it to be Stephens/Yoshida, VvD and Hoedt. It will be harsh on Yoshida but I get the feeling he will be second choice to Stephens initially.

We'll see, perhaps MP will surprise and play one or both of our Dutch CBs at the weekend.

I bloody hope we rate Hoedt higher than Stephens or we shouldn't have signed him.

Two clean sheets is glossing over the obvious weakness of our current centre back pairing.

Each of them is OK, although Yoshida is clearly better, but together they are not great and we clearly wanted better or we wouldn't have signed Hoedt.

I bloody hope we rate Hoedt higher than Stephens or we shouldn't have signed him.

Two clean sheets is glossing over the obvious weakness of our current centre back pairing.

Each of them is OK, although Yoshida is clearly better, but together they are not great and we clearly wanted better or we wouldn't have signed Hoedt.

Exactly, he's been brought in to be first choice, Stephens and Yoshida have done ok, but we want and need better than that.

Definitely not in the squad for Saturday according to pellegrino in the embargoed press conference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, agree, Pellegrino was much more definitive in the second part of the press conference, stating that it was too early for VvD to be considered for this weekend's game. That said, could be another double bluff of course...

Yep, agree, Pellegrino was much more definitive in the second part of the press conference, stating that it was too early for VvD to be considered for this weekend's game. That said, could be another double bluff of course...

Also what Adam Lietch said in the Echo - will be a few weeks minimum I think.

“ We've Got Virgil Van Dijk !!! “

But only to do some Training …..........

He doesn't want to play and risk injury prior to his January transfer

Only circa 16 more weeks to wait

What's he on ? £50k per week ??

So that's only 16 x £50k = £800k more that SFC has to shell out

As long as he Trains of course, that's all his contractual obligation is

Then he can go cos we showed him who's Boss didn't we

(SFC means “ Stupid F......... C........... “ )

I pay my Season Ticket to see Players on Match Days, not to get training updates

I pay my Season Ticket to see Players on Match Days, not to get training updates

1) He is on significantly more than £50k p/w. We haven't got a wage bill as high as ours with our top earner only on £50k p/w.

2) Can you name any precedent in World Football history of a player refusing in similar circumstances to play from July to January or July to May?

Of course, if we had sold him, we can only imagine your delight and how supportive you would have been of that move.

:lol:

Someone's started the beer early!

What happened to the CAPITALISATION for EMPHASIS ?

As long as you don't start talking to yourself again...

I long for the days when the internet was the realm of pure geeks and not complete oddballs who'd normally be in their local, standing at the bar, talking very loudly so that everyone has to hear their complete crap.

I just hope when he does return the fans show him the respect and mindfulness he deserves. Football contracts are like modern day slavery, he's being held here against his will and being forced to work. Virgils mental state must be very fragile right now so we should remember his predicament and show our support for him. It's 2017 FFS some parts of society really haven't moved on, in any other industry you want to change employers to do so by giving them notice but not in the greedy world of premier league football.

I just hope when he does return the fans show him the respect and mindfulness he deserves. Football contracts are like modern day slavery, he's being held here against his will and being forced to work. Virgils mental state must be very fragile right now so we should remember his predicament and show our support for him. It's 2017 FFS some parts of society really haven't moved on, in any other industry you want to change employers to do so by giving them notice but not in the greedy world of premier league football.

Maybe we can sing a rendition of Amazing Grace to show our support for the enslaved.

Really? How would VVD playing today have changed anythìng?

For what it's worth, I agree, he needs to be playing. He won't sort our lack of goals out though

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Intangibles. His presence might give them a lift or having him means the mids don't have to play so cautiously. Headers from a corner.

Really? How would VVD playing today have changed anythìng?

For what it's worth, I agree, he needs to be playing. He won't sort our lack of goals out though

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Goals come from confidence (in part)... Playing a c.£70m player breeds confidence. Ergo, goals will come from increased confidence. Unleash Virgil. Let's do this!

(Yes, I'm on my 9th bottle of Estrella)

Intangibles. His presence might give them a lift or having him means the mids don't have to play so cautiously. Headers from a corner.

Agreed - when Forster came back from injury we were given a lift, didn't concede a goal for something like 11 hours and went on our supreme run to sixth.

Agreed - when Forster came back from injury we were given a lift, didn't concede a goal for something like 11 hours and went on our supreme run to sixth.

Funnily enough when we were yearning for FF to come back the dins were saying the same thing "score goals will he". Having better players helps others express themselves with more confidence because they are not half hanging back worried about a lesser making a mistake.

Murphy still saying Vvd would have been a Liverpool player "but saints got greedy" and that "He will be a Liverpool player in the future" **** me they really are short of brain cells aren't they !

Does he think they were also being greedy in wanting as much money as possible for Coutinho?